The online racing simulator
Quote from Flotch :yep, tried to read and read again, but nothing solve the damn issue
So, I did post

EDIT : omg, not compatible with XP it seems :/

call biggie,maybe he got vista

U should upgrade your hardw. i think
I think they took that workaround out in one of the early patches. They said DX10.1 was required for proper function of the game, therefore blocking any exploits.
No they added that in one of the early patches, in the techdemo and before a certain patch on steam you could start assetto with any card. Now you need to edit the dx11.ini file as posted by pringles
Well the trick works and I can get between 60 and 80fps with the lowest settings, not bad for a 5 year old laptop!
I must say the game has improved so much compared to the tech preview, now I understand why you guys like it so much
I've just bought it today. Had a quick thrash around with the e30 (I have one) and I think I need to go through the settings, the steering seems very 'snappy' and I'm over compensating leading to more crashes than neccesary.

But my daughter had fun learning to drive the Abarth.

Gunna give it a thorough going over tonight, so of the GT's and supercars look interesting.

Any tips on setting up a G25? I'm finding the ingame setup a tad confusing.
Put gain to how you like it, like 70, 75% turn other settings on that left side to 0%, and leave Curbs at 20, 30, 40% if you want. That's advanced wheel settings btw.
Also, find dx.11 ini in ac folder, and put max frame latency to 1.
And most importantly, use 900 degrees. The steering degrees don't seem to scale as well as they do in LFS.
I have everything in default with my T500RS and TH8RS and feels awesome. Heel and toe shifting from 5th to 2nd with the Elise Black to take the chicane in Nurburgring is just orgasmic
Quote from Matrixi :And most importantly, use 900 degrees. The steering degrees don't seem to scale as well as they do in LFS.

I don't have those problems, for E30 I use 520 degrees, scales just perfectly, you can see/test that form external camera, only the virtual steering wheel don't mach (witch I don't use, so no problem for me), wheels mach perfectly, but you need to set desired degrees in porfiler and in the game, so you get the soft lock
I'm talking about the FFB feel, tried 720 briefly and it was horrible atleast on T500.
The game feels great so far. Just been messing with different cars and tracks. Still struggling to get around all the settings. Is there a way to remove virtual steering wheel? I never used it in LFS, and it's seriously off putting now. And, something I miss from LFS is head turning with steering imput. Is that an option somewhere and I just can't find it?

Also, is there some way I can get Tyre temps displayed in game? I can see them on the setup screen, but I can't find any way to show them when I'm running around, which surely, is the only time you want to be looking at them.

But. It's pretty, it feels pretty responsive and I was really getting to grips with the e30 at the 'burg. Once I remembered how I'm supposed to drive the game really came to me.

It's nice. Tracks look quite narrow and small for MP, but we'll see. I'd like to have some good races, as I can't seem to get more than one AI going atm. Which is a shame.
Quote from NitroNitrous :At the moment, but I wanted to know if that's for the early access versions or if more formats will be available when 1.0 is released.

Anyway, I decided to spend 23 Euro on it and get my first game ever on Steam. I then found out that the game requires DX10.1 so I need a new PC if I want to play... which I find kinda wierd since I was able to test the tech preview. Can't blame them for that anyway, if I was a racing sim dev my game would only support DX11, steering wheels above 250 bucks and triple monitor setup. You don't have any of that, you can not even install it. I'll get a new rig at some point this year

I doubt it will be available off steam considering they plan to use Steam Workshop to distribute tracks/cars that users create.
Quote from dawesdust_12 :I doubt it will be available off steam considering they plan to use Steam Workshop to distribute tracks/cars that users create.

I have had a dislike for steam when I had way back at the beginning of it life.
It may have improved a lot but is it true that if I purchase a game on steam I don't own it.
For what ever reason I may have my account stopped at all the stuff I have purchased is gone.
If that's not true then I'll give steam another go.
You own all your steam purchases, their installed on your HD and you can play any* of them without being online. Apart from multiplayer, unless on a lan.
* in my experience, I may be wrong on a game I don't own.
Quote from Funnybear :Tracks look quite narrow and small for MP

The tracks are laser scanned. It doesn't matter whether the track feels narrow or not, the geometry is completely correct. If you feel it's wrong then the FOV is wrong.
Quote from Hotdogxx60 :I have had a dislike for steam when I had way back at the beginning of it life.
It may have improved a lot but is it true that if I purchase a game on steam I don't own it.
For what ever reason I may have my account stopped at all the stuff I have purchased is gone.

Unless you're a scammer, your account won't be removed. Even cheaters don't get their accounts terminated (Just banned from that engines games if it's VAC).
Quote from Hotdogxx60 :I have had a dislike for steam when I had way back at the beginning of it life.

You don't own anything on your computer except for content that you create.

Purchasing a game is only purchasing the right to use (license) a copy of it.

Valve cannot remove these licenses from you. That license is between you and the owner of the content. they can restrict you from using Steam services (matchmaking etc), but they can't stop you from using your games. If they ever go under (extremely unlikely at this point) you will get to keep all the licenses you purchased - most likely in the form of a publisher transfer code (for Origin, direct download, etc).
Quote from MadCat360 :You don't own anything on your computer except for content that you create.

Purchasing a game is only purchasing the right to use (license) a copy of it.

Valve cannot remove these licenses from you. That license is between you and the owner of the content. they can restrict you from using Steam services (matchmaking etc), but they can't stop you from using your games. If they ever go under (extremely unlikely at this point) you will get to keep all the licenses you purchased - most likely in the form of a publisher transfer code (for Origin, direct download, etc).

Steam going under is a good example of losing your account even though it maybe remote. I suppose what I was getting at was that if you buy a CD of a game you have the game and no one can take it away. If all the software is on your computer then that's fine.
I was thinking that the software was running from the steam cloud or something and you just had a small piece of code to access it.
One thing that I hate is when I brought Battlefield 3 it was linked to Origin and you had to login to play the game. After I had finish the game I would want to just load it and play a bit of single player stuff but I still had to login through the web interface.
I keep on forgetting my password or there were updates which delayed me from just loading it up and playing. I hope steam is not the same.
The CD statement is not true any more either these days, lots of games come with online services that require a central server for matchmaking or checking your key or in the case of many new ubisoft games to play at all.

I don't see any reason to not go with steam (or origin, or whatever platform), it is convenient, you always got a backup of your data and the chance that your game access is lost isn't any worse then with a physical copy just take some of the examples above.
Well, forgetting your password everytime is not something that Steam would solve, it's a thing decided in your mind. Not a single service will remind you of your password and yes it takes time to reset it. Happens, care more next time.

On the other hand, in my new PC I don't even have an optical drive, so having steam and such is the only option for me to have legitimate games. I have a Call of Duty 4 retail box but all I can do is wipe my ass with the Guide book included now. I wish I could swap it for a Steam version, or at least use the code with Steam.
I don't care about owning the game or not, it just feels unnecessary to have a software to manage your games, I can do that myself, thanks. Besides, I usually download games, play them, finish them, and delete them, so I don't need any external app to help me with that. Racing sims are the only ones are pay for, and with the amazing simulation that AC has I don't care if it comes with steam or not, it's worth it

Kunos Simulazioni - Assetto Corsa
(8871 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG