The online racing simulator
Kunos Simulazioni - Assetto Corsa
(8882 posts, started )
Quote from Keling :It's not people WANT to go back to mouse/keyboard. Some times people HAVE to. I'm traveling at the moment with only a laptop. Should I just dream about going back to home everyday, or have fun with what I have?

Sure, I used to kick it back and have some quick drifts with RB4 by using a 360 gamepad every now and then with my laptop.

Majority of simracers aren't permamently travelling with a laptop however, they play at home, where they can use a steering wheel.
Quote from Matrixi :Once you use a proper FFB wheel, I just can't imagine anyone going back to a feedback'less control device when you're driving seriously.

Seriously as in
- more realistic or
- trying to be faster or
- just having more fun?

What is a proper ffb racing wheel?

I know for a fact I'm faster without ffb. In iracing when I tried my fanatec 991turbo s wheel I could not get within 1s of my non ffb wheel lap times (mustang in vir long). It was easier to be faster and more consistent with a non-ffb wheel. It is easier to hold car on the limit through a turn when the steering wheel doesn't fight you. It is much easier to get back in control after getting a tank slapper or after sudden change in the car with non ffb wheel. With ffb the steering wheel tries all the time steer you away from the perfect line you are taking once you have rotated into a turn. Or that how it has to me everytime I'm using a ffb wheel.

Ffb is definitely more realistic. That's not even debatable imho.

But fun for me is about control. For some people it might be immersion. A ffb wheel is an immersive tool where a non ffb wheel probably isn't. But if fun is about competitive racing and doing my best then I'd pick non ffb wheel every time over ffb wheel.

Maybe I have my standards set too high. I feel my 911 turbo s is way too slow and has too much resistance. It turns too slow and it resists too much when I need to make quick correction. The ffb feels like it is coming late and more often than not the ffb is actually giving me conflicting information. Maybe I need a better ffb wheel.
You can try to enable drift mode on that wheel. It's not really that good for today's standards indeed.
Quote from Hyperactive :Seriously as in
- more realistic or
- trying to be faster or
- just having more fun?

All the above. You drive a real car with a steering wheel and it gives you feedback from the front wheels, that's what you should aim for when driving in simulators. Especially now, that simulators have advanced to the point that they give that superb FFB directly in to your hands.

Quote from Hyperactive :
What is a proper ffb racing wheel?

I'd say something with 900+ degrees of rotation with quick enough motor(s) to not restrict driving (like DFP does), three pedals and preferrably a discrete shifter.

Quote from Hyperactive :
It is much easier to get back in control after getting a tank slapper or after sudden change in the car with non ffb wheel.

How much lock are you using? I've found catching slides or tankslappers without FFB to be near impossible on 900 degrees or above.

Different people get their kicks from different things, I just find no joy in racing with unrealistically low steering locks, auto-clutches or other driving aids. It's kind of a compromise. Do you want a tough challenge, by driving with 1080 degrees, clutch, H-pattern and enduring the handicap that gives you, or would you rather shave time off, regardless of the methods?
Quote from NitroNitrous :You are free to do whatever you want, but personally, if didn't have a wheel, I'd rather do something else than simracing. I am of the opnion that when I do something I do it right or I just don't do it at all.

Same here. If I had no wheel I simply wouldn't simrace.
It doesn't feel like simracing if you're not using a wheel. It feels like gaming. No satisfaction. No point.
Quote from The Moose :Same here. If I had no wheel I simply wouldn't simrace.
It doesn't feel like simracing if you're not using a wheel. It feels like gaming. No satisfaction. No point.

Concur
I always liked "car games" before I ever got in to "sims" with a wheel and such. I suppose that for me it's always going to be gaming, a wheel will always just be a controller no matter how fancy or expensive, which is kind of also why I've never really felt the urge to spend large amounts of money on it, though I have used the top end stuff on several occasions.

I'd still play car games, and still want the cars to behave realistically, even if steering wheel controllers didn't exist.
Quote from Keling :No offence, but motion platform guys can say exactly the same thing to you.

Well I'm talking about being serious enough that you have full control of your car at all times. You won't get anymore stability with a motion rig, if anything you'll have less control.

Quote from Bmxtwins :An elitist who is slower than mouse drivers.

Well you must feel pretty shit about yourself, cos I'm faster than you.
Quote from BlueFlame :Well I'm talking about being serious enough that you have full control of your car at all times. You won't get anymore stability with a motion rig, if anything you'll have less control.

Well you must feel pretty shit about yourself, cos I'm faster than you.

so you are saying, that you don't have full control with a mouse?
Quote from CodeLyoko1 :so you are saying, that you don't have full control with a mouse?

I'm saying that nobody does. It's impossible to be as consistent and stable. Especially when it involves braking or racing with other cars.
Quote from sinbad :I always liked "car games" before I ever got in to "sims"

So do I, that's why I play arcade games with keyboard and sims with wheel
Quote from The Moose :It's very easy actually. 16/14 wing and you're there. Took me 5 laps with that wing setting. (and a bit of gear ratio tuning)

Can you upload a replay of that please? I'm so curious... I just can't be faster with 16/14 than I am with ultralow wings... I'm losing a lot to my ghost in the first few sectors to get it back in the last alone.. Seems impossible.
Quote from BlueFlame :I'm saying that nobody does. It's impossible to be as consistent and stable. Especially when it involves braking or racing with other cars.

maybe impossible for you, since you don't use mouse. People who use mouse for a long time can keep it consistent and stable. Even tough they do have it way harder under braking, when racing with other cars they are still just as safe as wheel users. it's all about how long and how much you use it
Btw i have a wheel but in hungary and im a lot faster with mouse anywaz
Quote from Kristi :Can you upload a replay of that please? I'm so curious... I just can't be faster with 16/14 than I am with ultralow wings... I'm losing a lot to my ghost in the first few sectors to get it back in the last alone.. Seems impossible.

Sorry, didn't save a replay.

I'll have another go later to beat my time and save one for you then.

I'm the opposite, i cant get anywhere near as fast with low wings. I was trying a set that i know can do a 31.0 that had 6/6 wings and i couldn't get any better than a 33.4 I guess it's entirely down to what setup suits your driving style.
Quote from CodeLyoko1 :maybe impossible for you, since you don't use mouse. People who use mouse for a long time can keep it consistent and stable. Even tough they do have it way harder under braking, when racing with other cars they are still just as safe as wheel users. it's all about how long and how much you use it

All of the mouse drivers on LFS are a danger to others. Pajkul is the best example.
Quote from BlueFlame :All of the mouse drivers on LFS are a danger to others. Pajkul is the best example.

you are a danger to braindamage. I mean seriously, that is not biased on any fact
Quote from CodeLyoko1 :you are a danger to braindamage.

What? That's like saying. I haven't got nothing or It isn't nothing.

I'm a danger to braindamage why? Because I threaten it to go away? I don't understand your logic.
Who's this guy named braindamage?
Quote from BlueFlame :What? That's like saying. I haven't got nothing or It isn't nothing.

I'm a danger to braindamage why? Because I threaten it to go away? I don't understand your logic.

I can explain you what I meant, but that would avoid the important part of my post.

your comment was based on what fact?
Quote from NitroNitrous :You don't buy a wheel to be faster, you get one because that's how cars are driven

It depends how much you want to simulate the real thing, in my opinion a game can never simulate what it's like to drive the real thing, so I don't bother chasing that ideal. So the only reason for me to buy a wheel is to get the extra control and accuracy it offers.
Quote from The Moose :Sorry, didn't save a replay.

I'll have another go later to beat my time and save one for you then.

I'm the opposite, i cant get anywhere near as fast with low wings. I was trying a set that i know can do a 31.0 that had 6/6 wings and i couldn't get any better than a 33.4 I guess it's entirely down to what setup suits your driving style.

Can you possibly PM me that setup with 6/6 wings, please?

Kunos Simulazioni - Assetto Corsa
(8882 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG