The online racing simulator
Assetto Corsa leading the way in sims now. It's going to be massive when launched on PS4 and XBOX1. The millions they make from that will launch them ahead of Gran Turismo 7. Exciting times for racing sim fans.
I doubt that, GT and Forza will remain the major forces. But having a small european studio in the mix can do nothing but help the whole genre.

I too love AC, but its too special interest for a general audience. A kid that likes cars will always go to the big names that offer hundreds of cars, carrers and so on. Kunos should have tried launching AC on the Wii U, no competition on that platform (I know the Wii is too slow for a sim like this Wink )
My 3yr old son prefer AC over GT and Forza. LFS is the second pick. He can actually do 1 lap at South City... Wink
I believe LFS still has a place in the racing comunity due to the excellent netcode that Scawen provides. AC is good, but LFS is still better at multiplayer.
It is, but after ~7 years of "staying the same" it was just time for me to move on. Maybe I move back again, but for now I see no reason. I won't buy a new licence for stuff I basically already had for years too.

When I discussed this with a friend lately we actually found comparison to a human relationship in it.

LFS is like the girlfriend you got in grammar school. Best fit for you, does what you like, adorable in every way. You commit to it.
Then the years go by, you yourself change a lot, grow up/older, learn new stuff, jobs, people, places - and your girlfriend does not. Yes, some jewellery here and there (CTRA, Leagues), few new clothes from time to time (patches and graphics updates), but apart from that she is exactly the way she was the moment you met her. Waits for you at the same table in the pub whenever you come for a visit. Is always happy to see you, no matter how long ago the last visit was.

You come back home telling stories about all the new things you did and got to know, and she ...is the same. Can't tell stories of her own, has no new experiences, dwells in memories of your first few years. You still like her, but with a lot of pity and desire for her to change after all.

This comparism breaks apart when it comes to "cheating" on LFS with other sims (Big grin ), but I hope you catch my drift. I think the same happens with long TV shows. Most shows last under 7 seasons/years, and those that do mostly turn bad after that. Others that steadily develope can go much longer (looking at you Simpsons and Doctor Who).
Quote from ACCAkut :It is, but after ~7 years of "staying the same" it was just time for me to move on. Maybe I move back again, but for now I see no reason. I won't buy a new licence for stuff I basically already had for years too.

When I discussed this with a friend lately we actually found comparison to a human relationship in it.

LFS is like the girlfriend you got in grammar school. Best fit for you, does what you like, adorable in every way. You commit to it.
Then the years go by, you yourself change a lot, grow up/older, learn new stuff, jobs, people, places - and your girlfriend does not. Yes, some jewellery here and there (CTRA, Leagues), few new clothes from time to time (patches and graphics updates), but apart from that she is exactly the way she was the moment you met her. Waits for you at the same table in the pub whenever you come for a visit. Is always happy to see you, no matter how long ago the last visit was.

You come back home telling stories about all the new things you did and got to know, and she ...is the same. Can't tell stories of her own, has no new experiences, dwells in memories of your first few years. You still like her, but with a lot of pity and desire for her to change after all.

This comparism breaks apart when it comes to "cheating" on LFS with other sims (Big grin ), but I hope you catch my drift. I think the same happens with long TV shows. Most shows last under 7 seasons/years, and those that do mostly turn bad after that. Others that steadily develope can go much longer (looking at you Simpsons and Doctor Who).

My god, that was the BEST comparison I've seen Big grin
But after all LFS is a girl, unlike the new girl (AC) that turns out to be she-male (Simcade)...
Simcade... doubt a studio that moved over from professional non-gaming simulation software can do arcade even if they tried. IMO their are a bunch of areas where AC clearly outshines LFS, one being snappyness. That butter-smooth transition LFS does between grip and slip are nowhere near realistic.
Dunno, in its current form ac feels more butter smooth than lfs. Granted it is ages since I last drove lfs.
Take a powerful road car on the Lake Louise track "Crownest hillclimb" configuration - with street tires and a green track setting, and then tell me AC is "simcade" Uh-hu

I think the problem is that by default they set every car up with semi slicks, and the highest grip setting possible on the track so that newcomers don't find it too difficult. They've outright said that on the forums unfortunately.

AC is definitely snappier around the limits than LFS by a pretty good margin in my experience... which is 90% with road cars, I can't speak for the GTs and open wheelers.
A simulation game is just that, a SIMULATION.

I can get on a bike, car, kart, wotever, drive on a track like a loon and NO computer simulation will give anything like that experience.

A simulation game is just that, the current games all have good/bad points but compared to the real world, there is absolutely no comparison.
But when it comes to the games, we are only talking about small differences between all the different (good) games.

What I really want in a game is the ability to race on local tracks with cars close to local spec. If a game offers this, but the in sim car handling is out by a bit over another game with restricted content then for me the choice is simple. (See, no names !)

The key point is however that being on the PC (or wotever) it's only a game, so I can accept the different in game limits without it being a major issue.

Racing in the real world is all about driving to your vehicles limits (Yes, and yours as well !), Well, sim racing is exactly the same thing in it's own way..

The main thing is to have fun though, a point a number of people forget. Big grin
Calling AC arcade, in any manner, is absurd. People seem to think race cars should be impossible to drive. I tested with Ginetta a few months ago. Apart from some handling quirks it wasnt exactly hard to drive.
Quote from Ball Bearing Turbo :Take a powerful road car on the Lake Louise track "Crownest hillclimb" configuration - with street tires and a green track setting, and then tell me AC is "simcade" Uh-hu

I think the problem is that by default they set every car up with semi slicks, and the highest grip setting possible on the track so that newcomers don't find it too difficult. They've outright said that on the forums unfortunately.

AC is definitely snappier around the limits than LFS by a pretty good margin in my experience... which is 90% with road cars, I can't speak for the GTs and open wheelers.

Which is kinda odd because for me the only cars in ac that feel snappy are the gt cars and generally light cars with wings. Snappy is kinda personal word though just like slippery is. I doubt your definition is same as mine Smile.

But still 90% of the cars are really easy to catch. And there is this magical barrier at 30-40 degrees of yaw angle where the car rotation just stops and doesn't go furhter. Even in ffb you can feel this barrier in most cars. Once you find yourself at that yaw angle the car is almost resisting to spin out.
I have no problem spinning the cars, I wish I could learn how not to..Smile
Quote from Hotdogxx60 :I have no problem spinning the cars, I wish I could learn how not to..Smile

Yeah, this. I was thinking the same thing even though I've read that silly "can't spin the cars" argument a few times. In reality, sliding cars are NOT hard to control otherwise Chris Harris would be out of business. Clearly he's not, and clearly he has zero issues commanding cars that are "out of control" to do his bidding. Look at the RUF CTR video mentioned a page back. Yet despite that reality, exactly as you claim, I have no problems turning any car around simply because this is a hobby for me that I have little time for. Throw a beer (or two or five) into the mix and I'll really mess it up and have to quit because of ... biophysics? For seasoned veterans, semi pros, pros, or those who drive daily - it SHOULD be hard to face the wrong way, if it's not then probably your passion and talents don't meet Smile Watch Chris throw the F40 - a notoriously "hard" car with sudden boost, tons of grip etc - everything to make it mean, and yet he can simply - as he puts it - "choose his angle" and away he goes. Seems a lot simpler for practiced folk doesn't it?
Explaining the slip angle issue in ac to ac fanboys is a bit like trying explain (in 2005) to rfactor fanboy that real tires don't lose all grip at 30 of slip angle... The responses are pretty much identical. Lack of skill, learn to drive in real life, it is realistic becuase I like it, look at this youtube video. This thread is like rsc in 2005! I'm getting some serious flashbacks.
Ver 1.4.x modded cars
Is there anywhere on the internet where you can find car mods specifically for the latest version of A/C..? (1.4.x)
I've managed to get a Peugeot 504 and an old Porsche Spyder working, but only through luck.
It seems all the cars are bunched together (in the modded section of the A/C forum) and its not that clear which will work on the latest version.
Those that don't work appear as unknown in the cars section of the game.
I was specifically after a Mazda MX5 (Miata) and or Honda S2000.
Any help will be very appreciated...
Quote from Hyperactive :Explaining the slip angle issue in ac to ac fanboys is a bit like trying explain (in 2005) to rfactor fanboy that real tires don't lose all grip at 30 of slip angle... The responses are pretty much identical. Lack of skill, learn to drive in real life, it is realistic becuase I like it, look at this youtube video. This thread is like rsc in 2005! I'm getting some serious flashbacks.

It's brilliant to see there are guys out there who will spend their time on sims they don't like hunting for issues. What a sacrifice sir, thank you.
Quote from Hyperactive :Explaining the slip angle issue in ac to ac fanboys is a bit like trying explain (in 2005) to rfactor fanboy that real tires don't lose all grip at 30 of slip angle... The responses are pretty much identical. Lack of skill, learn to drive in real life, it is realistic becuase I like it, look at this youtube video. This thread is like rsc in 2005! I'm getting some serious flashbacks.

Honestly, I didn't mean to come across the way you're implying I did.

I'm just tired of reading that exact line - that cars in AC are "impossible to spin", "magic wall" etc because the truth is that it isn't the case and it's not hard to test. I've read plenty of the debates, read the arguments for and against - blah blah blah over and over again and it's pretty much all hand waving.

I'm certainly not trying to undermine your skill in any way because I'm sure you'd pulverize me around a track, and in fact I think that's even happened quite some years ago! So don't take it that way. But stating that it's so hard to spin a car in AC or even more absurdly that it's "impossible" is quite silly. You brought RF into this which is odd, because those sims have always had the issue you mention... even in RF2 it's a little too easy for tires to turn to ice-cubes and there's no basis in physics for that.

I'm not going to sit here and say AC is perfect because no sim is perfect. But the exaggeration around the "slip angle issue" in that particular sim is pretty amazing around the various internet channels these days, considering the far more glaring issues in other sims.

Now if they'd fix the net-code and actually add some decent features, at that point you could label me a fan-boy Big grin
Quote from NitroNitrous :These are the only mods so far that have passed my own quality tests:

BMW M1 E26
Porsche 911 2.7RS
Caterham Academy
Ferrari 288GTO
Opel Calibra DTM
Vauxhall Cavalier BTCC
Chevrolet Chevelle SS
Mazda 787B
Nissan 180SX

They all work with the current AC version. I have tried many many more but their 3D model or physics (or both) were not good enough for my standards.

Credits to the modders.

This is cool, thanks. I'm gonna get all of them except the RUF (have it already) and the BMW (Just too damn ugly)
That's a pretty light list.

I would like to add:

Oreca FLM09
Peugeot 504
Koenigsegg One
Porsche 550

(sorry no links)
Quote from Ball Bearing Turbo :

Well push me over with a feather...
I didn't realise that at all.
I (stupidly) assumed that the cars would have had their relevant tyres as a default. I never even bothered to check out the settings - just hit start and away I went......

Kunos Simulazioni - Assetto Corsa
(8871 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG