The online racing simulator
Lx8
(479 posts, started )
Eh...what...erhm...
Neverming
Noo, don`t tease my mind!!
I would like the LX8 to be in LFS, but with the current cars, it can't be compared to anything; The LX6 compares with the FZ50 and the RAC. If they make the LX8, they should also make a two more V8's like a mid-engined V8 (Ferrari F430) and a big powerful V8 coupe (Mercedes CL63/SL63).
Quote from Ilpav :If they make the LX8, they should also make a two more V8's like a mid-engined V8 (Ferrari F430) and a big powerful V8 coupe (Mercedes CL63/SL63).

youre talking my language
Quote from Lible :Sorry to brign this back

http://www.soov.ee/soov-images/0710/26/1729427.lview.JPEG

Ah that just warms my heart.

As for LX8, while it would be fun to have but id much rather prefer track editions of Lx4 and 6.
Im also one of those people that don't see it necessary to have a class match for every car. FOX and BF1 seem to be doing just fine on their own.

One thing that would have to be improved on is lateral tyre grip and slow speed grip before a bigger monster then the lx6 is included.
Otherwise it would be too unrealistic in terms of behavior.
Ok, an actual video, although a short one, of the LX8, not much to see, but the engine sound was better than the LX6.

lx8.wmv

Another very short video of a real Caterham that eventually made 250hp, but was rev limited to 7200 rpm / 225hp in this video. The car is now in San Francisco. At least you'll get an idea of the sound of the real thing:

cat1.wmv

As mentioned, Caterham is now promoting a race series for the CSR 260, that includes the usage of slicks. Note that the engines are Ford Duratec 2.3 liter 4 cylinder engines. Cosworth does the mods, but I'm not sure where the mods are done for the UK cars. There's a Cosworth in Long Beach California that does the mods for the same Ford Duratec engines in Californnia, and possibly for most of the USA based Caterham CSR 260's.

There is a Caterham CSR 330 prototype, using a supercharged 2.3 liter Duratec:

Caterham x330

More realistic is the fact that the Champ Car Mazda Atlantic series is also based on the same Ford Duratec 2.3 liter (called Mazda MZR, but it's the same engine) modified by Cosworth in Long Beach, Califonia, but these engine produce 300hp (they don't have to last as long), and these could be used in racing Caterhams along with a stronger drive train. The Champ Atlantic cars have a top speed of 175mph (significant downforce, else top speed would be even higher). Think of these as the modern day equivalent of Indy Light race cars before IRL, and CART split up into two groups:

Champ Car Atlantic

Race 07 includes a CSR 200, CSR 260, and a CSR 320 (not quite the 330, but close). CSR 320 video: r07obc3.wmv

Although 0 to 60mph is very fast and 0 to 100mph is also quick, the high drag factor of the Caterham body limits top speed of the CSR 260 to about 155mph. The CSR260 isn't cheap, it costs almost as much as a Corvette Z06, and the Z06 includes extras, like real doors, a roof, ...
Thanks for the link. Looked like there were exhaust pipes on both sides of the car so it would be an LX8. Good find. I wasn't aware that anyone had made any other videos of the LX8 in action.

Still it would be nice for LFS to update it's cars to somewhat resemble their real world counter parts. Since the Caterham is the most popular LX like car, it would be my preference to choose the three common values for power: 140hp, 200hp, 260hp. If LFS can include a F1 race car in a class of it's own, why not update the LX's?

Should LFS be a game of the past or the present?
Wonder the same, the video is new to me too
new to me too, it was just a quick search on youtube. =P
That video is ooooooold! Its too bad I didn't backup my lx8 stuff when I reformatted ()

-5 lx8

+5 RB GTR
Why don't you want a LX8 GTR?

RB GTR would be cool too (alldifferent kinds of cars on GTR servers =D)
I dont like LX's in general
Quote from imthebestracerthereis :I dont like LX's in general

Neighter do I. But I would love to see the Lx8 in a GTR version. A Lx with slicks would be a fun and challenging car to drive.

But I guess we just have to stick with the dream, it`s not going to get released, get over it :/
Quote from JeffR :The CSR260 isn't cheap, it costs almost as much as a Corvette Z06, and the Z06 includes extras, like real doors, a roof, ...

Might be true in the USA, but in Germany the Vette is pretty close to 80.000,- € while the CSR260 is less than 68.000,- €.

.....and I doubt that the Z06 would be a real match for the CSR260 in track-performance as long as the track doesn't consist of many comparably long straights.....even though I know that the Z06 is said to be the best handling Vette ever and outperfoms many cars that are far more expensive

CU, Sebastian
Quote from DasBoeseC :.....and I doubt that the Z06 would be a real match for the CSR260 in track-performance as long as the track doesn't consist of many comparably long straights

Cornering grip for both cars is limited to how sticky the tires are. The Caterham, being lighter, can run stickier tires than the Z06. The slicks for the Caterham put it around 1.4 to 1.5 g's of conering, while the Z06 with slicks will be around 1.3gs. Although the Caterham has a better power to weight ratio, it's relatively high drag coefficent (.7 verus the Z06's .34), means the Z06 accelerates faster around 80mph or so.

The Caterham is faster on autocross type tracks, but the higher speeds at most racing tracks is enough that the Z06's faster acceleration above 80mph makes up for the Caterham's better handling. Willow Springs (California) longest straight is only about 1/4 mile, but the slowest turn is 60mph and the fastest about 120mph. The Z06 wins on this track, but not by much.
Special offer! Buy 1, get 1 free!
Attached images
Image1.png
Hmmm 3 liter V8, 345 bhp, and only 659 kg? Good for making donuts, but other than that it's undrivable with the current tire physics.
race y ? RACE Y ???
You sneaky bugger Bob...

Lx8
(479 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG