The online racing simulator
Lx8
(479 posts, started )
Quote from mkinnov8 :Whats with this latest trend of dragging up the oldest threads possible.. are people really that bored?

At least they're not creating new ones. Shows how much of them can actually use the allmighty Search button.
Quote from JeffR :It would be nice to upgrade the current LX series to reflect the current Seven replicas, like the Caterhams.

A real Caterham CSR uses a 4 cylinder 2.3 liter engine and comes in 200 hp and 260 hp version. An LX4 could be 140 hp, LX6 200 hp, and LX8 260 hp, even though all would be 4 cylinder engines. With 260 hp, top speed increases from 140 mph to 255 mph.

Bias ply racing slicks for the LX8 (or LX6) would be nice and duplicate the slicks used for many Caterham based racing events. I tested the patch Z LX6 and the LX's physics has improved greatly since the S1 days. It's no longer that difficult to drive.

Yes, yes I totally agree. A beefier LX would be so awesome. I know they are not the most favorite car as it can be tricky for the beginner, but it provides awesome racing when you got to drive it with people who can.

LX8 is in the terms of internet almost epic fail. The LFS physics where not up to date when it was made and a heavier V8 doesn't suit such car at all. And of course, that the car would have been too fast for a box with the LFS physics.

LX6 with slicks and about 190 kw and power to weight ratio of 500 hp per tonne is rather awesome. And not that far from reality either as that's what the Caterham R500 is.

And of course it's mainly awesome, because it does this.

Flying car might have been too powerful, but it was still awesome.
Quote from JeffR :With 260 hp, top speed increases from 140 mph to 255 mph.

you mean 155mph right?
Quote from Bob Smith :An LX can't be overpowered. Just under-controlled.

You forgot "In Soviet Russia" Bob.
Quote from pearcy_2k7 :http://www.tomgarner.co.uk/uploaded_images/caterham.jpg - Maybe not so unrealistic Blackout.

That's is a much bigger dip than the South city slope, or at least it looks like it. But yes, maybe not that far, although I wonder how such box would manage the speed in real life.

Quote :Theres a picture somewhere of a modified Caterham like car at the ring with a big spoiler and body mods but i can#t find it now

Donkervoort D8 RS maybe? http://www.ultimatecarpage.com ... 69/Donkervoort-D8-RS.html

That actually has even crazier power to weight ration.
Caterham RS Levante v8 Concept. 550hp. It's been posted on these forums before.

Quote from JeffR :With 260 hp, top speed increases from 140 mph to 255 mph.

Quote from anbiddulph :you mean 155mph right?

Yes, I fixed my previous post. Considering the aerodynamics, I doubt even a JATA rocket could get a Caterham to 255mph, or at least not without the Caterham going airborne (there's some front end lift that the newer CSR front end reduces, but not eliminates).

Still waiting for a game to get the engine sound right. Race96 was close, but I then realized that many of those engine sounds are similar).

the real thing:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qfy1VO4ePlA&fmt=18

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XNvM6jA7VF8&fmt=18

http://jeffareid.net/real/cat1.wmv

race07 with the 1/2 delay on animated shifts, normally hidden by helmet view, couldn't they just not do the animated shifts? Car was setup too understeery, but just wanted to get the sound captured.
http://jeffareid.net/r07/r07obc3.wmv
that donkervoot(sp) is bloody ace, looks great. as for the lx8 something exivilent to the r500 or the levante would be about right
A CR260 is nothing like what an LX8 should be, they are really not that fast, well atleast they don't feel that fast. Id think in LFS terms they're very much just like the LX6. The 500bhp small V8 Caterham is closer to the mark. Or the R500 with slicks.
Quote from Blackout :Caterham R500 ... And of course it's mainly awesome, because it does this.

A real Caterham goes airborne at 2:20 into this video. Caterham chasing a Ducati motorcyle. At 2:15 into video the Caterham driver states "see how much air he gets here" (referring to the bike), then proceeds to also go airborne, seems like about a foot off the ground. Must be a borrowed car. Reminded me of GPL at Nordschleife.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qfy1VO4ePlA&fmt=18
I don't doubt that fast light cars can't get airborne. But I'm not sure if the speed that Soutcity jump needed was realistic for the box the car is.
Nice video there.
Any chance to get the very old version of Live for Speed which included the LX8?
That version was never publically released, it was leaked by a beta tester. As such, the devs do not want that copy distributed further, so if you happen to come across it, please do not post links or instructions here. Thanks.
Quote from Bob Smith :That version was never publically released, it was leaked by a beta tester. As such, the devs do not want that copy distributed further, so if you happen to come across it, please do not post links or instructions here. Thanks.

Btw, have you worked on your ultimate tweak tool lately, or have you buried it for good?
Not worked on it about 18 months now. From patches F to X10, the memory layout hardly changed (in fact, not at all since the BF1 was introduced), just shifted further up the memory range. I made my app backwards compatible with all these patches with little difficultly. Patch Y changed a lot of things, and by that point I had a job, so almost none of the free time I had before.

I don't see why nobody else has made something like this before. The initial memory ranges for the known values were kindly given to me by someone who had done the hard work, and I just found everything else by poking around in exactly the same area. They really are all just grouped together. People just must not know what they are looking for, or be bad at testing for subtle changes.

I'd still to like to update, finish and release the app, at some point. But it's lowest priority in my list of projects atm. VHPA, my site, and the setup guide come first, and to get all that done is a huge amount of work (given the little time I have left after going to work, being social, doing house chores, keeping my car & bike in a serviceable condition, taking it easy now and then, and sleeping).

Of course, motivation is another issue. Seeing as I hardly play LFS, or any other racing sim or even any other games atm, there's little interest in making a game mod. While on the other hand, a conversation I've been having with Tristan about his car has led me to 'discover' disc springs (aka belleville stack), so the past few days, at lunchtimes and evenings, I've made a stack generator/calculator which I've since added into my working copy of VHPA. I find it easier to go with the flow when something interests me, than to force myself to keep chogging through a big, tedious task. I'm supposed to be doing this out of interest and enjoyment after all, it's not like I get paid for it.
mind to share the prgram with mee bob i love it even if it isnt finished
No good to you without an X10 or earlier patch lying around anyway. Either way I'm not releasing until it's done.
Well, I hope you can get to it some day. I say you start with ditching the social life and sleep. For motivation, I'm sure we can send you some jaffa cakes and cookies.
LX8 please...

A lot of racers want to drive it again. Fast, competitive and hard drive. This is what too much racers are looking for.

Please, improve it and launch it again in the LFS.

LX8 Power! Please, for racers... develope it again please.
Quote from Dalmako :LX8 please...

A lot of racers want to drive it again. Fast, competitive and hard drive. This is what too much racers are looking for.

Please, improve it and launch it again in the LFS.

LX8 Power! Please, for racers... develope it again please.

There's hardly anyone using the LX4 / LX6, usually on account of them being too hard to master, so I doubt the LX8 is going to improve on that.

This is classic, really. On the forum there's always heaps of people saying how great the LX's - or the LRF cars in general - are and how unfortunate it is that no one's racing them online. But then when you look at the server list... no one is, indeed, racing them online Same with the TBO's.

As for the LX8... meh, the LX6 is plenty enough for me, but that's just personal opinion, of course
Quote from obsolum :There's hardly anyone using the LX4 / LX6, usually on account of them being too hard to master, so I doubt the LX8 is going to improve on that.

Uhm.. or then it´s just you, who hardly ever uses it.

If you go around at some cruise servers you might not see them, but there´s a lot of skilled racers, who drive it and can master it.
It seems like the LX´es are used more in events and series, than in public servers.
But, yeah I would also like to see the LX8. Even if it would take some time, based on the current development speed.
The LX8 is mad..... Really not for pick-up servers...

Wheels spinning through 4th and sometimes even 5th, and you go sideways everywhere.....

Mad car...

Lx8
(479 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG