The online racing simulator
Im in and can't wait to get a desk in my new house and my wheel setup after 6 months away from LFS!!

My mate was sat next to me when i read the list of changes and now thinks im quite wierd by how excited i got!! haha
The more realism the better. So plus one here.

Love,
Aero

ed: I'm not opposed to OPTIONAL driving aids though provided they can be disabled on the server and are segregated in lap-time records.
I love it!

After finishing my term paper last night I joined up on a blackwood proper direction race with the new BMW. There were 20+ people in the server at all times. I have never been much of a regular racer in LFS. I made myself very familiar with the fox on as-club...and have had great races doing that, but its just the tip of the iceberg.

I've played LFS for a year now with my g25, and have done about 25% racing, and 75% drifting I don't care if its racing or not...and its not racing AT ALL, its fun as hell with the lfs engine. Regardless of if you like drifting or not, the car control is impressive...its like the ballet, its boring as hell to watch, but I guess they're having fun doing it ? Its just because I can go in and drift for 10 minutes before class or something, whereas its somewhat a hassle to find a server on a track that I know, with enough people in it, with a low enough ping, that isn't in the middle of a race etc..

Anyways, back on topic, I had some of the best racing I've ever had last night. The BMW is very intuitive, and a blast to drive. My arms were getting tired holding onto the wheel so tight! That thing handles just like my kart used to to go fast you gotta float it through the corners, if all the tires have grip you're goin too slow

The racing line is a huge help, and I love how its just a baseline...not the WR lap for the track. You can go into your own server, go 5 laps with the racing line...figure out where your braking points will be and be more competitive much more quickly.

I'm somewhat confused about throttle blip though on downshift. I was trying to do it...autoclutch off, and afaik you don't depress the clutch when you blip the gas...but all I was managing to do was extend my braking distance. I was able to downshift with no throttle blip with no negative side effects. I was getting lap times that rivaled top 5 placers in the race, and finished decently a couple races...so I don't think I was doing anything too wrong.

Also, I don't really notice a difference in the viewpoint from the cars, any better description of what it is? Thanks

great job devs, i'm a part of a very popular mod for hl2 as an animator...and the forums can get very annoying. You guys are very disciplined, and take criticism very well. I've never seen you guys blow a gasket like our team has once or twice...Keep up the great work, you're very admirable. I would love to make a car game some day, but I fear I would always be comparing it to LFS and wind up doing something a bit easier
More realism the better!
Count me in... The only thing I wish that they had in the patch was digital spedos... For people with great resolution it is fine, but my spedo look like a blur right now, so I just guess where 80 km/h is when driving through the pits... Oh well, everything else that is new in this patch makes up for the removal of the digital spedo by about 10000 times
FYI, try hitting the "R" key on your keyboard and see what happens (hint-relates to the 90 degree view )

What I don't like about the patch.........
.......................well, I don't like the single seaters, so I really don't care much about the new car. BUT, it did aid in the developement of this patch with the gearboxes and such, so I can't say it is something I don't like.

I will have to get use to how we look to the side, unless it is configurable in an update. Can't see why it wouldn't. Scawen does pay close attention to the community during these testpatch times and enough have spoken. Has nothing to do with realism how you achieve looking 45 or 90 degrees to the side, just user interface issues. Can't say I'm fond of how it is now, but can't say I flat out don't like it. Having the 45 degree look is a definite improvement.

All else, the important stuff, clutch, gearboxes, lifting and blipping the throttle, definitely count me in. I wouldn't have set up a 13 year old pedal set to have clutch if it wasn't for the patch Y features

Only thing that scares me is specifying the FXR and XRR to sequential. I fear all GTRs will eventually be sequential and I hope to have myself an h-shifter soon. It would mean the end of the fun before it even begins.
I'm in!
I'm in!
are there any perks being a member?
I'm in
Geat!
sign me up
or talk to me on PM
I'm in...
Exept for the view thing for which I can't see how more realistic it is (actually I fell like it is the contrary)
+1 here!

May I have a question for the club-mates?

What FOV do you use for a 17' CRT@1024x768? I dont care about my exact speed, but like to know: between 80-100 or 100-120? And of course would like to see the needle reaching 80, or not.

60° - It seems to be the ideal for most car, I can read everything except RAC, but got used to 85° - I cant feel the car moving.

What do you suggest?
Quote from uttoro :+1 here!

May I have a question for the club-mates?

What FOV do you use for a 17' CRT@1024x768? I dont care about my exact speed, but like to know: between 80-100 or 100-120? And of course would like to see the needle reaching 80, or not.

60° - It seems to be the ideal for most car, I can read everything except RAC, but got used to 85° - I cant feel the car moving.

What do you suggest?

If I remember correctly I used to use 97° on my 17" CRT.
Quote from Danas :well its just a test patch and its going to be much better when we reach Y.. So I agree that LFS should be hard and realistic

Sorry to blow your bubble but the content in X30 is likely to be identical to Y with just the odd bug fixed.

Quote from ChiliFan :
I don't see why so many people are complaining about this new patch.

The more you look though it's only a handful complaining over and over again.
I don't think how hard could define anything about realism.

Personally can't say that this new version would be any harder than previous one, I drive perfectly same way as before, but I find it to be great that now everyone else need to drive more realistic manner too

FOV is annoying thing that we have to live with, 17-20 degrees would be realistic for most, but totally unplayable, I can't use much less than 80 or I'm totally lost with distances. With projector setup 80-95 works quite well, good feeling of speed, distances bit hard, but really easy to hit apex.
i´m in
As I can see, not usable FOV suggestions.
Quote from uttoro :As I can see, not usable FOV suggestions.

Well, there is no right or wrong FOV, so you just have to use the one that suits you. Only way to find out is by experimenting with it.
assign a place for me when the official patch comes out, not quite convinved up to now
More realistic is serious racing. This upcoming patch Y is one of the best. Glad that this whole clutch is improved.

but I dont like the racing line. too arcady for me.

I'm in too.
Quote from uttoro :As I can see, not usable FOV suggestions.

Find thread 'what fov do you use' with search and maybe that might be bit of help?

Edit:

Even clutch is bit over the top with road cars, I think it is just good thing as we miss lot of mechanical wear and damage on parts related it is good compromise to use clutch as fuse there for now
Also as we get new car for every race it is perhaps good to have such things bit too much to keep people more worried about their vehicles
ill join!
im in brothers :P
More realism is always a good thing, even if it's more difficult. Count me in.

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG