The online racing simulator
Quote from eXSsnl :Having a G25 has been my main reason to buy LFS S2 too, I did do GTR2 but LFS is more fun somehow, must be the online experience.. even tho I haven't tried GTR2 online.

If GTR2 is similar to GTR online you're not missing much
Pitty that there are some many bugs that weren't expected to be there

Quote from Not Sure :you have to use clutch (for cars with h-pattern)

Would be nice to know about this more as it's a big mess now. Which cars use that box and how do you change gears with black momo with autoclutch in each and every car
im in too
Count me in

Tristan, you forgot to mention Damage repair is now a selectable option, Pit stop damage repair takes twice as long and Engines are no longer repaired in pit stops - this adds much realism as well. The last one needs to be an option, I think. In endu races like 24h engine can be repaired. Never mind if it takes 10min, but devs should give us this option.
Count me in!
Quote from Pablo.CZ :Never mind if it takes 10min, but devs should give us this option.

how about 2-5h? count me in.
But the new formula over which cars to exchange with h?
I'm in . I'm glad that there are many more realistic things. Tristan, you mentioned that a blip is required during downshifts? I thought that the FBM did the auto blipping hence it being a sequential, I just thought that a blip wasn't needed
Quote from kompa :how about 2-5h?

No problem 10min was in comparsion with other repair times (you can repair whole suspension in 1-2min? now). If this times will be extended, engine repair time can be extended accordingly too.
Quote from Leprekaun :I'm in . I'm glad that there are many more realistic things. Tristan, you mentioned that a blip is required during downshifts? I thought that the FBM did the auto blipping hence it being a sequential, I just thought that a blip wasn't needed

It does not blip, it just shifts down, so you can quite practically lock up rears at braking if you are bit too enthusiast with downshifting, well that happens irl too, I guess.

Amount of blip is however quite minimal (compared to street cars) and timing of it is quite crucial to get right in that, I guess it would be easier IRL as now our shifters don't have feedback
Have never used any driving/blipping aids; my opposition to FCV is purely on the basis that simulation is not in any sense bound to a single perspective visual representation; I have no idea what the new patch drives like since I am not able to go online with LFS to unlock it again (grrr ... ); but anyway... I'll join and then resign since:

“...I don't want to belong to any club that will accept me as a member.” Groucho Marks

count me in even though because i decided to upgrade to g25 for the new patch i'm currently about 3 secs a lap slower than the ai
Wow I love this patch, it is a major upgrade! I will need a few weeks testing only to discover the changes here and there.
Happy to join in, if this club accepts mouse users (G25 in my next life, I hope...)
See you on track, you will spot my car easily: the one at the back, with a burning clutch and red hot tyres
OK.

Downloaded the patch last night.

I was a bit apprehensive about this patch having read some of the comments on the forums, so I decided to back up my entire LFS directory just in case.

Didn't bother re-naming sets and all that jazz 'cos I was only gonna give it a quick try before restoring the original LFS directory and waiting patiently for the next patch.

Had a quick look 'round the new BM' - very nice! Didn't go for it straight off though. I wanted to try a few familiar cars first, so I could compare and see what all the fuss was about.

So.

Here's where I went:
- South City, my fav circuit. Lots of lumps, bumps and feedback - lovely.

Here's what I drove:
- The FOX, the MRT [big grin!] and the LX4

Here's what I liked:
- The AI is quicker, especially down the straights where it seemed to run out of puff before, and it no longer gives up once you overtake. It keeps trying. Nice.
- 'Peek-a-boo' rear view with the virtual mirror. I actually like this. I can still see where I'm going while glancing behind.
- Is it my imagination, or are the real mirrors clearer? Noticed this on the FOX in particular.
- Bum-jiggling, teeth-chattering curbs in the MRT. Smashin'!
- Small X,Yand Z adjustments in FCP. Much better. Thank you.
- Slow lap by the AI after the finish to get back to the pits. Nice touch.
- Standard sets seem good.
- Gear, revs, etc., HUD when in 'no wheel' view. Nice and clear without being too arcadey (sp?) :/
- The white Castrol barriers on the left hand side in the approach to the SC chicaine. Thank you SO much! These provide contrast with the barrier immediately ahead, so now I can actually see the entry point to the chicaine before its too late. Afraid I didn't have time to admire all the other graphical improvements on this circuit though, because of ...

... the bombshell ...

The Handling:
- Holy cow, what happened? Quite frankly LFS used to be the most realistic driving sim of them all for me, and now ... it's even better? Don't know how they did it - don't care really - this is cool.

It amazes me how the visual cues and the feedback in the wheel alone create such a convincing illusion in the complete absence of any g-forces or seat-of-the-pants feedback. This was good before, but (imho) it's even better now.

For example, driving the FOX, there are no surprises any more. I can 'feel' the car on the road and I know when I'm about to spin or run out of road 'cos I can feel it coming. Change down too soon and the way the back end tries to slew 'round just feels so real. I can feel where the limit is better than before. Even spins (and my attempts to correct them) feel more convincing.

I suppose what I'm trying to say is that now the illusion is even better for me. It just feels more like I'm actually in a car, on the road. I don't know really. I can only assume it's a combination of all the changes made - the tyres, the engine modelling, the slightly bumpier ride and the slightly better visual feedback. I guess they all contribute.

Oh, and no probs with clutch for me, b.t.w. I've got the standard two pedal DFP setup and the most I got was a little bit of orange where I occasionally forgot to lift out of habit. By the end of the session though, I'd got used to it. (Might even go so far as to say I enjoyed it.) I also liked the fact that the three cars I drove all had slightly different throttle blipping/lifting requirements. It adds to their individual driving characteristics.

Anyway, before I knew it, I was still hacking 'round South City at 3.00am this morning, totally immersed (yet again) in the LFS world.

Doesn't look like I'll be restoring my original LFS directory after all, then.

X30's a keeper for me.

Hats off to the Devs - Top Bombin'.
I haven't read the thread but i'm showing my support.
I'm all for decreasing the dumbed down factors in LFS and moving it one step closer to being a all out full blown SIMULATION.
im supporting i like it
So, what's the sect's name?
I join its more fun now
Sign me up!

Clutch heat is off, but I don't know which way it needs to go =P
I'm in too!
#247 - col
/me votes 'ay'
Seems that almost everyone likes this patch
Quote from The Very End :Seems that almost everyone likes this patch

Whel i love it 50% 50% the other fifty needs to get used to the cluachtthat overheats way to quik in my opinion especialy road cars
Quote from Chrisuu01 :Whel i love it 50% 50% the other fifty needs to get used to the cluachtthat overheats way to quik in my opinion especialy road cars

Exactly the same here

Join the "We're glad LFS is harder and more realistic now" club
(969 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG