The online racing simulator
Yea i want in! I thought i would hate it, but it is great to have to lift!
Quote from AlienT. :Do real life GTR cars have sequential gears? If so then there should be no requirement to lift your foot from the accelerator as the computer does it for you.

Most of them do, although there's no real need or advantage short of slightly faster shifts and greater consistency over a racing H-gate, which is considerably cheaper and more rewarding to drive. A sequential gearbox does not mean there's an auto-cut/blip by default, in fact I don't think any gearboxes have this feature. The auto-cut/blip system is done by a separate chip plugged into the ECU that either controls throttle inputs on a car with a digital throttle or cuts the ignition when a pressure sensor is triggered on the gear lever.
Quote from AlienT. :Do real life GTR cars have sequential gears? If so then there should be no requirement to lift your foot from the accelerator as the computer does it for you.

There are several type of sequential gears, FBM has one too, it is fully mechanical version however, so it is not necessarily that computer does cutting for you even you would have sequential box.
With the smg gearbox (sequential) fitted to a E46 M3, their is no requirement to blip the throttle when changing gears, although it does make the gear change seem smoother when you do.
Quote from AlienT. :With the smg gearbox (sequential) fitted to a E46 M3, their is no requirement to blip the throttle, although it does make the change smoother when you do.

The BMW SMG gearbox is not the same as a sequential gearbox, it's a computer controlled automatic gearbox with sequential manual control AFAIK. You won't find a BMW racing car fitted with one either, they'll instead be using either a fully manual H-gate or a sequential, some of which will have extra throttle cut/blip features, but they're separate from the actual gearbox. As a general rule the only road cars with a gearbox mechanically similar to a racing sequential are the more extreme track cars.
Quote from ajp71 :The BMW SMG gearbox is not the same as a sequential gearbox, it's a computer controlled automatic gearbox with sequential manual control AFAIK. You won't find a BMW racing car fitted with one either, they'll instead be using either a fully manual H-gate or a sequential, some of which will have extra throttle cut/blip features, but they're separate from the actual gearbox. As a general rule the only road cars with a gearbox mechanically similar to a racing sequential are the more extreme track cars.

Ok thanks for explaining that...makes sense to me now
Well I haven't played it yet, but the more realistic the better.

By the sounds of it I like it. I'll test it soon.
um, where do you download it from?
Just tried it for quite a few laps.. I like it, I have been frustrated with the clutch simulation in LFS before this because you either always had to use it every shift, or never use it (auto clutch).. It is great the way it is now.. except the clutch is too sensitive... it gives out way too early. I put over 100,000 miles on 2 clutches in one car and many more miles in other cars-- even wimpy stock street car clutches are stronger than the clutch in LFS.

Aren't race car clutches supposed to be even stronger than wimpy street car clutches?
Quote from BWX232 :Just tried it for quite a few laps.. I like it, I have been frustrated with the clutch simulation in LFS before this because you either always had to use it every shift, or never use it (auto clutch).. It is great the way it is now.. except the clutch is too sensitive... it gives out way too early. I put over 100,000 miles on 2 clutches in one car and many more miles in other cars-- even wimpy stock street car clutches are stronger than the clutch in LFS.

Aren't race car clutches supposed to be even stronger than wimpy street car clutches?

Awww, go read bit more and re-apply membership of club

Clutch thing has been discussed somewhat here and there, I think it could be how clutch works, linearity, so you slip lot more than intended to as it seem not to heat up that fast on some other situations.

You surprised with positive comments
Im in ! (Y)
Quote from JTbo :
Clutch thing has been discussed somewhat here and there,

I commented on that over there.. in that thread- but yeah, other than that it is a great patch. It will be nice to have a more robust clutch though, or more non-linear slippage as clutch heats up or something..
Quote from BWX232 :I commented on that over there.. in that thread- but yeah, other than that it is a great patch. It will be nice to have a more robust clutch though, or more non-linear slippage as clutch heats up or something..

I don't know if that is left that way to take account of wear and damage to box etc. Kind of unrealistic temporary solution, sure works that way but is unrealistic.

Luckily it is others that are getting trouble with it when racing and not me
Well I never got into any trouble, I just noticed that after a spin that the clutch bar was half way up and full red, and that the thing would not hold the engine torque. After three laps around SO chicane and then one spin. I guess I started out too fast and the clutch wore out half it's usable life in 2 seconds.

Oh well, I guess it is not worth worrying about until it is final. Hopefully they will adjust it next patch.
/me joins teh club
Quote from JTbo :Are you in teh Club?

No, the "club" (tEh k1u8 if you like) is really just another excuse to have an argument about this stuff with those that have a slightly differing opinion.
No it isn't
Ohhhhhh.....yes it is...

(I didn't mean to come all over Christopher Biggins, humour me, it is panto season )
[sitting on the fence]...ot/ why is'nt there some noise or indication when one is overdoing it on the clutch?...I'm having a nightmare with it?me is a total clutch noob
Quote from danowat :Ohhhhhh.....yes it is...

(I didn't mean to come all over Christopher Biggins, humour me, it is panto season )

I was oh-so-tempted myself
+1
count me in boys.
Is there an AI thread? Where can we bitch about that? LOL

EDIT- forget it, I found it, and it seems that issue is already addressed (the AI banging into you)
I´m in too

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG