The online racing simulator
I'll join. Not famed for my fantastic driving. Still aren't but I used to use auto. I tried the new training lessons where you have to use manual and after getting used to the clutch I actually might start using manual permanantely which, in the long run, will make me better.

Plus, even though it's harder, LFS is named 'the most realistic driving sim' and, yes it is the most realistic driving sim but it isn't half as realistic as real driving (not that I'd know as I'm 14 but I guess)so making it more realistic as fantastic!
Quote from SchneeFee :... why are digital speedos unrealistic? The map is still there!

:eye-poppi

Shhh! :shhh:

Don't say that out loud!

Don't forget that this is a "We like it well 'ard" thread. :hide:
Get rid of the bloody map!
I get excited just from FF so.. I don't really care if the digital speedos disappeared
Oh come on! The map is the only substitute we have to pit radio and track marshalls.

Give me a pit crew keeping me informed of what's going on around me (is the car behind fighting me for position or is it a lap down, for example) and track marshalls that tell people when they can rejoin safely, and I'll be glad to see the map go. Until then, we need the bloody map!
Quote from SchneeFee :why are digital speedos unrealistic? The map is still there!

Pointing out something else being unrealistic too doesn't make the feature in question any more realistic.
Quote from FL!P :Oh come on! The map is the only substitute we have to pit radio and track marshalls.

Give me a pit crew keeping me informed of what's going on around me (is the car behind fighting me for position or is it a lap down, for example) and track marshalls that tell people when they can rejoin safely, and I'll be glad to see the map go. Until then, we need the bloody map!

Quote from joen :Pointing out something else being unrealistic too doesn't make the feature in question any more realistic.

You see, SchneeFee - now look what you started!
I'm in
Maps maps maps... Do I want rid of it in an ideal world (sim)? Yes. But what are the consequences of not having it - sometimes hard to know which way to drive out of the pitlane without looking at the map. And can be nice to see if there is a wrecker/slow-coach/accident up ahead that we might get warned about via a radio (if we are racing in a car that would have a pit-car radio (i.e. NOT the road cars, unless some club racer has a silly budget). And it's nice to use to see if the person ahead/behind is racing for position or not (but if they're ahead pass them anyway, and if they're behind you get a flag...

So, I can't see any REAL need for it for drivers. Spectators and admins need it, so I think it should go
Quote from joen :Pointing out something else being unrealistic too doesn't make the feature in question any more realistic.

Never used this digital speedo thing, so have no opinion one way or the other... Just confused... How is a digital speedo unrealistic?
Quote from tristancliffe :Maps maps maps... Do I want rid of it in an ideal world (sim)? Yes. But what are the consequences of not having it - sometimes hard to know which way to drive out of the pitlane without looking at the map. And can be nice to see if there is a wrecker/slow-coach/accident up ahead that we might get warned about via a radio (if we are racing in a car that would have a pit-car radio (i.e. NOT the road cars, unless some club racer has a silly budget). And it's nice to use to see if the person ahead/behind is racing for position or not (but if they're ahead pass them anyway, and if they're behind you get a flag...

So, I can't see any REAL need for it for drivers. Spectators and admins need it, so I think it should go

missing 2 )
Well I'm sad to see the Digi Speedos go for legability reasons.
I currently can't see much on the analog so somnetimes I'm forced to use the virtual (and I hate that), but as it's equal for everyone, it's cool with me.

I guess I need a bigger screen.
Quote from tristancliffe :Maps maps maps... Do I want rid of it in an ideal world (sim)? Yes. But what are the consequences of not having it - sometimes hard to know which way to drive out of the pitlane without looking at the map. And can be nice to see if there is a wrecker/slow-coach/accident up ahead that we might get warned about via a radio (if we are racing in a car that would have a pit-car radio (i.e. NOT the road cars, unless some club racer has a silly budget). And it's nice to use to see if the person ahead/behind is racing for position or not (but if they're ahead pass them anyway, and if they're behind you get a flag...

I think that if the tracks had signage showing which way to leave the pit that problem would be resolved. People have done this with signs and marshals standing there, but those things need to be there by default when you install LFS. That is something that I miss from GTR2.

It seems as though better yellow flag handling is on the way. We've now got lights and marshals scattered around the tracks (new Blackwood, for instance). So, if they would just work, we'd be in business there.

Knowing if someone is racing for position is one of the reasons I loved LFS Companion. Hopefully Becky will release a new version or someone else will build something similar to handle this sort of thing.

Edit: I would like to see the track map go as well. Actually, I'd like to see pretty much all of the overlays disappear unless you're spectating. But tire temp and such need to stick around, at least in the GTR cars, until we have some sort of AI pit crew that can manage that stuff for us.
woo i finally tried it out last night went on a demo server first and tried out the fbm and the new bl track... it drove very nice and i'm sure it'll make demo racers wanna buy s2 =] then i tried out the chicane route on south city, i had a couple of spin outs on the same damn corner... its weird since it feels like i clear the corner perfectly and i feel like i have total grip on the exit but when i slightly press on the gas to exit out i feel it slip and oversteer a bit so i countersteer to correct it and bolt and spin out the other way =/ imma give it a go again after work tonight =]
I just remembered to post here, yes, I am in the club!
If you're gonna make it as realistic as possible then yeah, get rid of the map. The map does help though.

I also think they should get rid (and probably will in patches to come) of the 'Yellow flag' and 'Blue flag' warnings and replace them with yellow and blue flags being waved by marshalls at the side of the track. I think that is a suitable and realistic change that they could make!
Quote from nutty boy :If you're gonna make it as realistic as possible then yeah, get rid of the map. The map does help though.

I also think they should get rid (and probably will in patches to come) of the 'Yellow flag' and 'Blue flag' warnings and replace them with yellow and blue flags being waved by marshalls at the side of the track. I think that is a suitable and realistic change that they could make!

I have a feeling (though it may just be wishful thinking) that what you describe is on the agenda for S2. Blackwood now has lights and marshals all around the track. I'm guessing that eventually those will be used instead of the test messages.

Even if they implemented 2D sprites waving the flags (ala GPL), that would be an improvement, and enough to make most people happy.
I definitely like the changes. Like people have mentioned, it's more than just the basics of driving now in a perfect world. We have to worry about missing upshifts due to messing up timing with coming off the throttle, worry about botched downshifts due to not blipping correctly, and generally have a little more to think about which is great.
Quote from Cue-Ball :I have a feeling (though it may just be wishful thinking) that what you describe is on the agenda for S2. Blackwood now has lights and marshals all around the track. I'm guessing that eventually those will be used instead of the test messages.

Even if they implemented 2D sprites waving the flags (ala GPL), that would be an improvement, and enough to make most people happy.

Yeah. Or maybe a 3D marshall, like they have now, just holding a 2D flag still. I think it'll be implemented very soon actually!
Club's first open track day:

Tomorrow (Friday)
Volvolandia LX (X30 S2 mode no pw)
Only vechicles with MOT and plates will be permitted (those will be street cars, shopping carts + TBO + LX)
Track will be open from 10am to 20pm (maybe longer unless environmental control will make fuzz about it)

RULES:
Everything is forbidden unless stated otherwise

You are allowed to choose car from those available
You are free to use setup of choice, as long as it is realistic
Automatic gears are allowed

You must Shift+F, no overlay is allowed
Clutch help is not allowed

Due insurance policies, timing and racing will not be encouraged, do it at your own responsibilityUse your head, only realistic is allowed, maybe someone could hook up teamspeak or something, to be universal radio system?
Quote from Michael Denham :I definitely like the changes. Like people have mentioned, it's more than just the basics of driving now in a perfect world. We have to worry about missing upshifts due to messing up timing with coming off the throttle, worry about botched downshifts due to not blipping correctly, and generally have a little more to think about which is great.

That says it really well. Aliens will still be aliens with analog speedo's, but the more I can be immersed in the racing and driving, the better!

As LFS becomes less-and-less of a muscle-memory fast-lap sim, getting a really fast lap or great race will feel so much more special.
Quote from JTbo :Club's first open track day:

Tomorrow (Friday)
Volvolandia LX (X30 S2 mode no pw)
Only vechicles with MOT and plates will be permitted (those will be street cars, shopping carts + TBO + LX)
Track will be open from 10am to 20pm (maybe longer unless environmental control will make fuzz about it)

RULES:
Everything is forbidden unless stated otherwise

You are allowed to choose car from those available
You are free to use setup of choice, as long as it is realistic
Automatic gears are allowed

You must Shift+F, no overlay is allowed
Clutch help is not allowed

Due insurance policies, timing and racing will not be encouraged, do it at your own responsibilityUse your head, only realistic is allowed, maybe someone could hook up teamspeak or something, to be universal radio system?

Damn, can't be there Friday
Quote from hagenisse :Thumbs up for this patch! Nothing to dislike so far.

In the M3 CSL its a manual with computer controlled clutch. With paddle-shift of course. In the M5 (and probably M6) its much of the same, but there it is a sequential.

LOL you name rocks, for anyone who doesn't Understand Norwegian, his name means GardenGnome!
why did the behind view in street cars get changed from a sort of person turning their head around to an instant eyes in the back of the head view?

i liked the old one

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG