The online racing simulator
Who decided that more realistic means more difficult (harder)? These are independent qualities. Unrealistic can also mean more difficult. The LX6 of S1 is harder to drive than the LX6 of S2 patch Y, but the S2 patch Y version is more realistic.

Where's the "we're glad that LFS is becoming more realistic regardless of whether it's more difficult to drive or not" club?
#677 - Woz
Quote from JeffR :Who decided that more realistic means more difficult (harder)? These are independent qualities. Unrealistic can also mean more difficult. The LX6 of S1 is harder to drive than the LX6 of S2 patch Y, but the S2 patch Y version is more realistic.

Where's the "we're glad that LFS is becoming more realistic regardless of whether it's more difficult to drive or not" club?

I guess its triggered by all the bitching that occurs whenever there is a physics change that closes physics exploits that people used

For then it becomes harder because the "cheats" (Read flat shifts etc) no longer work. Same happened when tyre heat came in and for all the people that pushed tyres too hard it became harder.

But yep, if you know how to really drive properly it becomes easier because it feels more natural

TBH I have never really changed a single aspect of my driving for physics changes. I know I drive right, which slows me down compared to people that exploit physics holes, but then after each patch I gain on them
^nice one!... but... i wonder if there are shallow gutters i can hook my tires on when i turn?
Count me in, i am making my friends hot for this sim. Hopefully they let the next time NFS in the store, and do they buy a real driving simulator
i like all the new stuff except the 45 degree sideways look, just makes it harder to race clean, which alot of people seem to have enough problem doing with the full 90 degree look anyway now its even worse
Quote from gishuk :i like all the new stuff except the 45 degree sideways look, just makes it harder to race clean, which alot of people seem to have enough problem doing with the full 90 degree look anyway now its even worse

Changable in the options. I tried the 45 degree look, but messing around with both look buttons to see beside my car was too much hassle.

It's configurable for single click look between 45-90 degrees.
didnt notice that before then, oops

carry on
Im in Greetz
Im in also, ive played Gran Turismo 4 for a while, but the cars where so god damn boring...
when i found out about LFS i were in the 7th heaven ^^
my friend who is a die-hard sony and polyphony fan says that LFS is "tail-happy like GTA" when i got a chance to make him demo it... he thinks that GT5 is still the ultimate simulator... he can't turn away now anyways, he spent a great deal of money on GT games and the PS3
Quote from atlantian :my friend who is a die-hard sony and polyphony fan says that LFS is "tail-happy like GTA" when i got a chance to make him demo it... he thinks that GT5 is still the ultimate simulator... he can't turn away now anyways, he spent a great deal of money on GT games and the PS3

I think that in such a case the only solution left is euthanasia
Take him to the closest veterinary
he hates enthusia because of the car selection...

i am guessing that he is believing the bullshit that polyphony digital's PR department is dishing out... every major gaming magazine has GT5 on their cover now...and praising it for the sophistocated physics.

i played it at his house and it was the same gt4 physics with new features in the main menu... with fancy graphics(each blade of grass is individually rendered). The GTR feels heavy dispite me turning on the ATTEST and every car feels like the GTR...

now, we just don't talk about sims when we talk on MSN for fear that he may block me...

say... can anyone make a video of a real Mitsu Starion and an XFG trying to do identical autocross formats? just for comparison's sake. since noone has done an "LFS vs. Real life" video
Quote from Maelstrom :I think that in such a case the only solution left is euthanasia
Take him to the closest veterinary

Quote from atlantian, Tristan's best friend :he hates enthusia because of the car selection...

LMAO! That's one for the archives right there
Quote :motorcycle versus race car helmets

There's not a lot of difference in the aperature between a Formula 1 helmet and a motorcycle helmet. The main difference between the shapes of automotive helmets and motorcycle helmets is aerodynamics; helmets for use in closed cockpits don't have to be concerned with excessive neck twisting forces when the driver / rider turns his/her head at speeds up to 200mph or so in the case of motorcycles at some tracks.

Helmets for closed cockpit cars may have provision for extra ventilation. Helmets for race cars may have provisions such as straps or tight fit between padding above the seat to reduce neck strain.

Example of Formula 1 helmet in the latter part of this video:
2003 Ferrari F1 at Monza:
mnzaf1.wmv

Take a look at the Arai, Shoei, and Shark full face helmets:

http://www.helmetshop.com
I approve of this thread
me thinks that we need to have a "LFS needs to be more realistic, although we apreciate what we have now" club...
Quote from atlantian :me thinks that we need to have a "LFS needs to be more realistic, although we apreciate what we have now" club...

"The more you eat, the more hungry you will get".

I am happy we have even this realistic simulator. It does not have to be 100% realistic, otherwise it wouldn't be a simulator, it would be an emulator. If you want 100% realistic driving, go to a track.

And what about future improvements? Only time will tell what we will get in a next patch. Maybe new cars, maybe new tracks, maybe even damage and/or physics improvements. Whatever it will be, I am glad that devs are uprgrading this fine game. I do hope this doesn't end up like so many other non-commercial games (I mean: Games that aren't sold on a CD/DVD.) that it just slowly "dies". And one thing to help that's not happening is that everyone who deems LFS is worthy game buys a license. Only after you have supported the cause by buying a license you can honestly say that you want to help it to improve and flourish. Servers aren't free. Heck, even coders aren't free. There is no free meal. Every hour devs work on LFS, they will lose that time from other duties (In this example, work that pays off). Heck, even I wouldn't work long days for nothing.

Please, think of the Scawen. Give him bread. And some butter on top of it.
Quote from atlantian :my friend who is a die-hard sony and polyphony fan says that LFS is "tail-happy like GTA" when i got a chance to make him demo it... he thinks that GT5 is still the ultimate simulator... he can't turn away now anyways, he spent a great deal of money on GT games and the PS3

Arcade racers love to think their games are realistic because it's easy to be good at them. They don't want to think they couldn't do it in real life.
Count me in on this wagon. I am always up for anything that makes the game more realistic, which makes it more challenging; And that
helps me improve on my, "critical thinking strategies," so to speak.
Quote from Ikaponthus :

Arcade racers love to think their games are realistic because it's easy to be good at them. They don't want to think they couldn't do it in real life.

omgz!!!11one, pplz don't have heavy, understeer prone carz with working auto transmission in Real life?
Does the clutch still burn out way too easy after the final patch?

Remember, harder difficulty does not always mean "more realistic"..

Quote :Join the "We're glad LFS is harder and more realistic now" club

If it was harder because of realism than yes I will join, but if the assumption that a dainty burnt out clutch equals "more realism".. I disagree with the premise of the question. I have to test out the final version more though.. Haven't been able to yet.
I yet have to experience any clutch overheating during normal racing. I cannot comment if the clutches are too temperature sensitive or have wrong overheating behaviour, but unless you're purposefully dicking around the clutch doesn't overheat. Even with pure flatshifting it takes quite a beating before going red, probably lasting longer than the usual public race distance anyway.

The only ones who might have overheating problems are autoclutch users, because it's very easy to unknowingly slip the clutch with it enabled. High gear takeoffs or spins with the throttle held down can cause quick clutch death.
Yeah, and spinning in real life always burns out the clutch.... wait.. no it doesn't.

That is when I noticed it burn out though- or get really hot or not hold power from trans to tires, but that was before final patch. Was it adjusted at all for the final patch?

I always have used a clutch pedal and no auto shifting or anything. I use a G25..
Spinning in LFS doesn't burn out the clutch and never has. Unless you operate the controls in a weird manner, in which case who's to say if the same wouldn't happen in real life.
Yes, it only happens if you use autoclutch and stay on the throttle. LFS then thinks you want to accelerate in the opposite direction you are travelling and slips the clutch accordingly. Just imagine you've spun, are travelling backwards with 100 km/h in 3rd gear and then try to "brake" by applying throttle and slipping the clutch. Doesn't surprise me the clutch is gone very quickly when trying that. Of course a G25 user never does something stupid like that, but it's very easy to unknowingly do this with autoclutch enabled.

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG