The online racing simulator
Quote from Bawbag :Maybe having the end of the hotlapping atleast a week before the date you want us their is a bit fairer is it not? I'm gunna have to get a flight or drive for 5 hours and finishing work at 5 to find out that I have to be half way down England for the next morning is alot to ask from anybody.

Jay is nicely trying to say that you need to work to his schedule or else he will pick someone else. There are plenty of people on this forum that could make it and he doesn't NEED the top 3 drivers to have good data to work with, he simply needs 3 competent drivers that will be available during his shedule, which is presumably tight. If you can't work to his schedule go find something else to do, there are plenty of people that are more than willing to meet the scheduling time line and frankly I wouldn't think your exactly that special or unique that Jay would adjust HIS scheduling to meet a kids timeline because the kid can't work out how to get someplace at a certain time.

This is all guesswork and I could be totally off base, but I don't think I am that far off.

To put it as bluntly as I can, either you meet Jay's timeline and be you are able to run in the simulator, or you don't meet the timeline and someone else will happily take that free spot.
Well his schedule was origionally a week from Tuesday or Wednesday as to who the top 2 were which was good if the trip was the weekend, now it's been changed to a Friday.

I'm sure it doesn't bother you about only finding out if you can make it a day before because of where you live, but I wanna be able to have the same chance as everyone else to be able to make it. It's not alot to ask if we can have a few days knowing who the top 3 is and who can make it.

Whats with the bitching in your post? Seems like you've got something against me and whether it's to do with my current time looking good to be in the top 3 or not, it just makes you look petty, especcially when you start with the kid comments.
Quote from Bawbag :Maybe having the end of the hotlapping atleast a week before the date you want us their is a bit fairer is it not? I'm gunna have to get a flight or drive for 5 hours and finishing work at 5 to find out that I have to be half way down England for the next morning is alot to ask from anybody.

Well they are looking for a driver that can just "drop everything" and make it to the big leagues. If you can make it, than can you really drop everything?
This is completely differnt Leg, that is for the V1 championship and as Jay has allready said, this is just something extra that he has been kinda enough to set up.

This thing with Fortec, the top 3 show up on the given day and are shown around, he mentions some extra things like trying out their simulator and checking out the FBMW, he also says that this isn't a fast track into the actual V1 championship.

As for dropping everything, I don't think that their is anyone here on this forum who wouldn't "drop everything" for a shot at a career in motorsport.
Quote from Bawbag :As for dropping everything, I don't think that their is anyone here on this forum who wouldn't "drop everything" for a shot at a career in motorsport.

*ahem*

Unless it was a career pleasuring Connie Montoya.
*ahem*²
Jay's said the cut-off point will be at midnight on the 31st, which is next Thursday. With the day at Fortec the following weekend, either the Saturday or Sunday, or if needs be, he said it'd be put back a week or so.

So at the very least that'll give you a day to plan things Bawbag. But if we're honest about it, i doubt anyone's gonna beat your time, at least i doubt any other Brit will (unless i can shave off an extra 7seconds from my pb ). So in theory you'll have about a week from now to sort something out, or even longer if it gets put back.

If you know anyone in that neck of the woods you wanna ask if they can put you up for a couple of days, and maybe drive down after work on the friday.

Just plan ahead, assume you'll be in the top two, and expect an invite from Jay. And go give it yer best shot, who knows what this might lead to and at the very least, you'll get a go in a shit hot simulator.
Quote from thisnameistaken :*ahem*

Unless it was a career pleasuring Connie Montoya.

Quote from zeugnimod :*ahem*²

Sorry! I'm sure I wa smeaning to right "at some point in their lives" as Kev couldn't find it within himself to go into motorsport at his tender age because he would feel so bad for all the people he beat.

I did mean to say though that anyone would drop everything if at the correct age, but i'm not as good as Kev or Z at writing posts, so i'll just take some stick.

Driving down would be a possibility but my car is practicly dead atm, so driving would mean hiring the old man for the weekend, but as the flights are dirt cheap nowadays i'd rather look into that.

Just thinking of Kevs post, you'd get your own Connie if you turned pro, so maybe it's just Z who wouldn't.
Oh I had myself thinking that the people who got to go *might * get a chance at the V1 championship if they could make it.
They need to stick Bawbag in the car, seriously, out of that whole list he is the one I want to see given a real chance in a proper racing car.
Yes, i agree with quicksilver. Bawbag has raced a lot and enterd a lot of events. Hes turned out to be a bullit. Good luck bawbag!

p.s: dont forgot us on forums when your racing propley
Quote from Bawbag :Just thinking of Kevs post, you'd get your own Connie if you turned pro, so maybe it's just Z who wouldn't.

Zeug doesn't like girls anyway.
I don't like anything. :geezer:
Bawbag (google to find the meaning)

I am not specifically trying to attack you. I was trying to let you know that when dealing with people, especially people that have what you want you need to be saying...

"What can I do for you!"

Instead of...

"Can you adjust the schedule because it's hard for me"

The first time was fair enough, but when you asked the second time... do you honestly think that your so good that he would adjust the schedule for you?

You have great talent to go fast in a computer game, I hope, for your sake, that you realize to compete in the real world you are going to need more than just talent to succeed. One of those is a personality that people can work with, and WANT to work with. Nobody is going to want to deal with a person that keeps asking for demands, You need to be saying like I said before, "what can I do for this person to make their task easier" People will not only like that mentality, they will enjoy being around you because they feel that you want to help them. Nobody wants to help someone who say's "gimmy gimmy gimmy, I know I am good so give me what I want"

Think of it through Jay's eyes, would he want to work with a kid that keeps saying "yeah this sounds great! BUT can you change this for me?" The first time maybe, but when you start asking multiple times your seriously going to piss someone off, and that person is going to be holding the key to that car, thats what I was trying to get at.

This is not specifically a personal attack, it's more that the level of frustration I have is so high, seeing someone that has a real chance, saying stupid questions like you just did multiple times. He gave you guys a timeline, just because it's not easy for you doesn't mean squat.

I am 25, too old for this scholarship, and getting to the point that I couldn't get enough experience to run in top level competition and be effective. I am trying to get you to realize a key point that I hope will help you realize your dream, knowing that I cannot as a driver anymore.

Mods please feel free to delete this if it's too aggressive, no harm meant. Starting to reread what I wrote I almost hope they do, almost =)
Viper, one's own ambition to "realize his dream" could also be judged by his strong persistence and interest, no matter how many chances he might have missed... he would love to be given the opportunity, even if it requires being a bit more pushy to have another chance. That kind of determination fits the bill for a typical race driver in my opinion . Go easy on him.

If you really want to label narcissist hotshots, talk to fighter pilots :cool:
Quote from Tweaker :Viper, one's own ambition to "realize his dream" could also be judged by his strong persistence and interest, no matter how many chances he might have missed... he would love to be given the opportunity, even if it requires being a bit more pushy to have another chance. That kind of determination fits the bill for a typical race driver in my opinion . Go easy on him.

If you really want to label narcissist hotshots, talk to fighter pilots :cool:

I agree to that point aswell, your probably right I am being too harsh, but then it's a harsh world =)

Fighter pilots, don't get me started on them, had one as a CO
I'm trying to wonder how you can say it isn't personal when your now trying to point out that my username has a very vulgar meaning behind it, yet your the one calling me the kid?

Well I do apologise if my posts were somewhat demanding or arrogant on my behalf, but when reading them again I only asked what sort of time we would be given between the deadline and the event, it wasn't till my next post that I asked for Jay to give us more than a few days to plan the trip. (This was only the worst case scenario though, End on Thursday and be their on the Saturday morning, which is why I asked :/)

It does seem that your little outburst in frustration has made you write a very valid post though and one that applys to everyone hoping to get a chance in the V1 championship.
This is the way the business world works. Motorsports, I'm sure, infinitely more so:

Jay: Busy day tomorrow, tight schedule as always. I need someone keen and willing. Be at the track by 5am.

FastApplicant1: My flight doesn't get in til 6:30. Be there ASAP.
FastApplicant2: I don't eat breakfast until 8am. Seeya when I'm done.
FastApplicant3: I'll catch a flight down the day before, to make sure I'm there by 5am.

Which gets the seat?

Seems pretty obvious to me that anyone who wants to be considered for a seat is going to have to, very visibly, move heaven and earth to do whatever is needed. Moreover, anyone who wants to be considered for a seat and IS seen NOT moving heaven and earth is not gonna get very far through a psychometric evaluation. You hire the most committed, most enthusiastic person who is ALSO fast on the track. Fast is just one component.
Hmm. I think you're being unnecessarily harsh tbh. Ray's fast(er than all of you put together) but he's also a nice chap to boot. He hasn't asked for anything on a plate, all he wanted to know was how a schedule's going to be worked out and what sort of notice he'd get if there was an offer of going down and checking out their operation.

Yes, flexible, available people get on in life, but I'd rather hire someone who's realistic than some desperate sycophantic yes-dude who isn't capable of meeting all his commitments.

As for "fast" being only part of it: It's the most important part.
Is that to me, Kev? I'm not referencing any individual. I'm just making an observation about the whole "who wants to be a V1 driver?" thing as it fits into the rest of the business world.

I'd like to see Ray make the top slot too
Viper and Sam. Professionalism goes both ways. What makes you think top racing teams are unreasonable towards their drivers all the time?
Quote from J.B. :Viper and Sam. Professionalism goes both ways. What makes you think top racing teams are unreasonable towards their drivers all the time?

There are a million different nuances in professionalism that are irrelevent to my comments, when my comments specifically focus on commitment. I don't think you can roll professionalism and commitment into one. Of course a professional company or organization will make accomodation where such things are feasible, but you're looking at a two-fold many-to-one relationship. There are many people who would like to take a seat, when there is only one seat to be taken, and there are many people whose schedule is influenced by a day at the track/factory, and not just one.

I still maintain that all the candidates hoping for this opportunity are going to have to show extraordinary willingness to commit and do what's necessary, whatever that is, BEFORE a company will consider them for a drive. When you get to Kimi's level, then you can get lazy. A bit, anyway.
Quote from SamH :(...) When you get to Kimi's level, then you can get lazy. A bit, anyway.

Like enjoying a night out in town and having a couple of Vodkas here and there?

On a completely on topic note: I still don't understand what role the hotlap competition exactly plays. Will it be the deciding factor in who can proceed to the next step within the selection process (provided all the other requirements like doing 50 pressups in 1 minute, being from the UK and under the age of 19 are met)? Wouldn't this more or less limit the selection to long-time LFSers?

Edit: And what's SCEE's role in the whole scheme of things?
Linsen, from what i've been told hotlaps are completely useless in the first stages of the selection process for the V1 championship, they will only be decided by online applications and if the next step is made, it is fitness and then only after that if you have a hotlap they will look at that.

Don't quote me on this but it was a pretty reliable source.
Ray - are you fit enough? If not, get fit! It'd be great to see you get a go in the car. Best of luck anyway mate.

V1 Championship
(738 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG