The online racing simulator
V1 Championship
(738 posts, started )
Quote from anttt69 :any news here? who will be be driving for fortec this season?

If you mean in Formula Renault, their lineup is already finalised and AFAIK it doesn't contain any of the V1 drivers.
Quote from Bean0 :CTRA is no more, I imagine this dies also.

it's not a CTRA thing though, maybe linked with CTRA but not actually part of CTRA. besides, afaik it's gone past the lfs stage already but meh..
Quote :any news here? who will be be driving for fortec this season?

...none of the above.

-Maz
As far as I know the formula renault was a shot in the dark after one F renault team was for whatever reasons a driver down, so they turned to V1 to see if they could find a driver, but from what I remember (was ages ago right?) That if they were impressed by a drivers performance in the mini they would be allowed to test in the F renault, and if they impressed again then they might have got a drive.

I was also told their would be three more drives up for grabs through the V1 championship in December, the FBMW, Clio cup and a karting one, but since that deadline is pretty far gone now I doubt much more will happen.

Though, we thought the V1 was dead before then it shot to life after months of silence, so there may still be hope.

Edit : Hopefully Sam will fill us in with some info here, I thought he had packed his bags and left us behind, but I just noticed a couple of posts from him in other threads, so yea, maybe he can give a more official answer.
Quote :As far as I know the formula renault was a shot in the dark after one F renault team was for whatever reasons a driver down, so they turned to V1 to see if they could find a driver, but from what I remember (was ages ago right?) That if they were impressed by a drivers performance in the mini they would be allowed to test in the F renault, and if they impressed again then they might have got a drive.

Only with a budget...

FORTEC are pretty approachable people. Pretty clear what anyone would need to bring..

-Maz
For sure F Renault teams don't go looking to give people free drives. Even I've been contacted by teams offering their services.... at a huge fee

I personally do have questions about the validitiy of of V1 from a commercial standpoint. Also, I do know some F1 teams have a policy not to take drivers on who haven't done karting from a young age (There's actual physiological reasoning behind that decision. Something about how drivers develop rotational awareness skills etc...). However I personally don't feel that is a barrier for anyone wanted to dream about F1 or motorsport. With that in mind the future prospects of V1 don't look as rosy as they could be.

Fortec's main motivation for V1 is to see some return in the future. The V1 project appears to be as much about perfecting driver development technique in general for paying drivers than actually finding a hidden talent. So they've probably learnt quite a lot of valuable information.

The actual investment in a driver from V1 would have to be in the millions. How they see a return on investment will be crucial to the development of the V1 program.

I don't know the ins and outs of what these dudes are doing over at Fortec, but it is a shame that the V1 side hasn't been made slightly clearer so progress could be followed.
Some deals came close to materializing last year but circumstances out of everyone's control made sure they didn't. I believe they would have changed V1's situation at this point but that's life. It was simply a case of bad luck with the timing.

People were going beyond the call of duty in 2008 to get things done (Sam isn't suffering burnout by chance, I suspect). Jay addressed most of the questions in his latest blog.

Those are my experiences from reaching the stage where a real drive was a possibility. My only question now is: when will V1 start again?
Quote from BenjiMC :it's not a CTRA thing though, maybe linked with CTRA but not actually part of CTRA. besides, afaik it's gone past the lfs stage already but meh..

the V1 was totally seperate from CTRA. The only link you could make is that the UKCT, the same people that created CTRA, developed the sim racing side of V1 for Jay.
Quote from v1rg0 :Some deals came close to materializing last year but circumstances out of everyone's control made sure they didn't. I believe they would have changed V1's situation at this point but that's life. It was simply a case of bad luck with the timing.

People were going beyond the call of duty in 2008 to get things done (Sam isn't suffering burnout by chance, I suspect). Jay addressed most of the questions in his latest blog.

Those are my experiences from reaching the stage where a real drive was a possibility. My only question now is: when will V1 start again?

Your experience sounds eerily similar to many projects in the distant past. The typical 'deals were almost done, and then it all fell through' scenario is quite typical of real motorsport.

I can understand what V1 are appearing to achieve. They have hooked up with the RSF but even those guys only help racers who already have HEFTY funding which kinda defeats the point of the scheme.

Hopefully this Jay chap can clarify the situation ASAP.
Quote from Bawbag :http://www.v1racer.com/index.p ... what%E2%80%99s-happening/

Doesn't clarify the situation enough?

guess not =)

Hopefully he will announce more news soon; I know he's not just sitting the project! =)

It's all a huge risk at the moment for many; it's new for the racing industry, and new concepts like this need to be 'validated' before people start bringing the money in. From what I understand the first season went very well on the whole and did a lot towards validating the concept of 'finding' a driver on the internet. Again that’s only a small part of the project, but essential in finding a 'diamond in the rough' that Jay is trying to search for.

I thought that perhaps the Racing Steps Foundation would have something to do with getting the V1 person a seat in FRen?
Quote from Bawbag :http://www.v1racer.com/index.p ... what%E2%80%99s-happening/

Doesn't clarify the situation enough?

no

I have seen many programs like this that start out with the best intentions, and over time information becomes more hard to clarify as the cold heart of reality starts to take it's toll.

V1 has gone from this fully fledged professional search for a hidden talent to a blog posting that pretty much says "we tried our best but couldn't sort something out for 2009". Where has the TV coverage gone to as well?

from where I am sitting the whole situation looks very merky. I am sure Jay is trying is very best to try and sort something out but from what I am seeing it just seems like another one of 'those projects'. I understand 100% what he is trying to do btw

V1 does appear to be one of the more valid projects, and production value is very high indeed. I do hope they can sort something out, but as someone who has some experience with how these projects usually turn out the actual reality of motorsport is this that you pay your way... and EARN it. There are NO free lunches in motor racing

I may sound negative, but really I am being a realist. And there aint nowt wrong wit dat

V1 Championship
(738 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG