The online racing simulator
Quote from anttt69 :I think your being a bit idealistic here Intrepid.
What if your like me & my parents never bought me a go-kart when I was young. The first time I raced a kart was arrive n drive on holiday.

I didn't realise I could compete in motorsport before my 17th birthday (not that I could afford to anyway) but as soon as I was earning after my A-levels I started sprinting & hillclimbing in my road car I did a few seasons then job issues flared up which stopped me doing anymore. Then I did some rallycross for a season & some club 100 & lots of random karting events.

I tried & tried but in the end it just fizzled out . I still race in RL occasionally but you know what I just cant afford it. Life is not as straight forward as you make it sound. The only way in for me is one of these scholarship schemes & i'm not getting any younger. I have grown to accept the fact that I cannot & probably will not ever be able afford to race cars in RL & thats the way the cookie crumbles.

Life's a bitch & then you marry one.

and the divorce her and she takes half of everything!

At least you friggin well got out there and raced! And you can afford it... Want you can't afford is your dedication and time. For you the extra work to race isn't worth it any more.

all this l'ife isn't like that'... blah blah.. it's so hard it's so hard!!! Complete nonsense, and excuse making! Yes life is hard... deal with it... we have all been there... we've all been broke with f'kin bailiffs at the door.

You don't have to race with the INTENT to be an F1 driver... to race and be out there is enough... the idea that you won't make it to F1 so there is NO point is complete nonsense!
Heh, I'm going to laugh when Jonesy replies to your "re-evaluation" suggestion, infact i'm laughing allready, your judgeing every single person as if they were you.

It's one thing to grow up and have all this shit handed to you on a plate, but when your giving it all the "If i can do it, you can" your just being COMpletELY St00PID. Your kinda like the 17 year old kid who rolls up at school in a brand new BMW and wonders why everyone else is getting the bus.

Edit: He posted allready! :X
Quote from Jonesy_ :There is nothing re-evaluate about my financial status. It sucks plain and simple. I'm working 8 hours a day plus spending 4-8 hours a day at school. I do not spend THAT MUCH time on my pc, let alone in LFS.

And by mentioning my sierra, I wasn't saying I don't have a way to haul a kart to tracks if I had one, I was saying that under 18 years old has no way of doing so on his/her own.

If you wanted to race you could find someone... beg, borrow, do what it takes.... get a mate to help you out... hire someone....
Quote from Bawbag :Heh, I'm going to laugh when Jonesy replies to your "re-evaluation" suggestion, infact i'm laughing allready, your judgeing every single person as if they were you.

It's one thing to grow up and have all this shit handed to you on a plate, but when your giving it all the "If i can do it, you can" your just being COMpletELY St00PID. Your kinda like the 17 year old kid who rolls up at school in a brand new BMW and wonders why everyone else is getting the bus.

Your assuming many things about me of which you have NO idea... I turned up at school in the back of a sh!tty VAN ffs!
Quote from Intrepid :Your assuming many things about me of which you have NO idea... I turned up at school in the back of a sh!tty VAN ffs!

Wow, your parents had a van? My parents couldn't afford a car when I was living at home. We didn't even have a phone until I was 16.
Quote from Intrepid :If you wanted to race you could find someone... beg, borrow, do what it takes.... get a mate to help you out... hire someone....

Begging I tried, no one fell for that. Loaning without any plan for certainity to be able to pay them back in a reasonable time would be like stealing. I don't do that.
From my "mate hood" I think there is only one with a drivers lisence besides me, and he doesn't have his own car. And yea I bet everyone is like you, being able to hire someone whenever they couldn't do something themselves.
At this moment I'm doing the ****ing what it takes to even be able to keep myself fed.

I'd really like to see you go to some African village to preach how every kid in there could race if they just stopped making excuses.
You need to ****ing realise that even if your life was "hard", there will for damn sure be someone with way worse one.

Edit:

Quote from Intrepid :Your assuming many things about me of which you have NO idea... I turned up at school in the back of a sh!tty VAN ffs!

Oh wow, the luxury. I used to walk to school.
Hope you lot are all proud of yourselfs. When Jay Marshall comes back here, Hes really gonna think were nice people isnt he? :rolleyes:
Quote from mcgas001 :Hope you lot are all proud of yourselfs. When Jay Marshall comes back here, Hes really gonna think were nice people isnt he? :rolleyes:

I don't care, I didn't meet the requirements to get in
Quote from mcgas001 :Hope you lot are all proud of yourselfs. When Jay Marshall comes back here, Hes really gonna think were nice people isnt he? :rolleyes:

Ah don't worry, if he does come back we'll turn the charm on and he'll go all doe-eyed like they all do. Fifteen minutes in the back of the garage with th84 and we'll have all the photos we need to keep him sweet for the foreseeable future.
HEHE... yh he'll be like WTF? but I hope he reads my point.

I think to be honest the requirements do actually require (is that grammatically correct??) previous experience anyway. I bet 50 quids the overall winner will have a racing history!
Quote from thisnameistaken :Wow, your parents had a van? My parents couldn't afford a car when I was living at home. We didn't even have a phone until I was 16.

ha thats nothing when i was a kid we couldnt even afford bush drums and every morning one of us had to get on all 4s and pretend to be a bus so we could get to school
I didn't eat until I was 12
well, i race karts in the national championships at the mo

when i was 15 i worked as many hours part time as i could at a kart track to save some cash, when i was 16 i took a job at a packing place (which i HATED, and the people there was twats) and i cycled 9 miles per day there, and 9 back come rain or shine AND work weekends at whilton (26 mile cycle) kart track to run a 10 year old TKM kart at club races.

I could only afford a few races on TERRIBLE kit with ZERO help/attendance from any of my family, i was lucky enough to have people who would help me and transport me/my kit.

i started racing in the national championships in 2007 (against all advice, and only racing 5 of the meetings coz i couldnt afford it) by the end of the year i was number 12 seed on a TINY budget.

this year ive been given kit which gets transported by my team who's son is the british champion, at the 1st round i was looking strong for the win. i got a few sponsors and trying hard to get more to move to clio cup or european karting next year.

to get more money i even tried hard at college, and i now work for foreign and commonwealth office who give me good money.

i know alot of people here have 0 respect for me and alan (intrepid) but all u need to do is work hard, make the most of everything you have, listen to advice you are given, try your best and make sacrafices and the opportunities will come eventually.

My relatives still havnt helped me or been to see me racing

alans points are VERY valid.
Quote from Intrepid :If someone has a DEDICATED interest, and PASSION for competing in motorsport they WOULD be at the race track.... NOT ON A SIM.... For me a SIM is a supplement NOT a replacement!

You CAN GO AND RACE, and dedicated person WILL GO and race!

You're missing the point though, the people with the best ability to race may well never discover their talent, it may only be a passing interest, or they may well take a rational view of it and decide that education, savings and a proper career are far better than investing a lot of time and money when they least afford it and making huge sacrifices for their future on the off chance they may become racing drivers. A racing sim is open to all and lots of people will decide to give it a try and it may well be an entry into motorsport they need. Karting provides a simple proving tool for demonstrating driving skill and is great for those who have enough to sacrifice (as we've heard Alan you didn't kart young enough to get anywhere even if you were any good and Will you started probably a bit late with a bitty season and obviously some rather lucky contacts that helped you before you could transport things yourself). Not everybody has the ability or drive to go karting or the interest in the mechanical side, which is not necessary for a racing driver.

Traditionally drivers haven't entered racing so young and have often started racing in more serious machinery, and TBH I think that not everybody needs to play in karts, sure karts and sims may help but the real learning will be done in cars quickly by the best and the rest will fall by the wayside, a direct entry into cars is something that's currently missing and by taking a wider spread of potential drivers there's more chance of uncovering hidden talent.
Quote from ajp71 :. Not everybody has the ability or drive to go karting or the interest in the mechanical side, which is not necessary for a racing driver.

Modern race drivers have to have a VAST amount of interest in the mechanical workings of their vehicle. Moderns cars, and karts are just DATA machines. If you can't interpret that data, and the workins of a vehicle your useless as a driver.

Quote :Traditionally drivers haven't entered racing so young and have often started racing in more serious machinery, and TBH I think that not everybody needs to play in karts, sure karts and sims may help but the real learning will be done in cars quickly by the best and the rest will fall by the wayside, a direct entry into cars is something that's currently missing and by taking a wider spread of potential drivers there's more chance of uncovering hidden talent.

Trying to dig at karts is a pointless thing to do really as you have ZERO knowledge of it... really absolutely zero...

what you FAIL to realise that there isn't HIDDEN talent. It's not like X Factor... well in fact it is. They make you believe they have found someone from no where, but really they have been doing the circuit for years!

To be racing driver you need passion, and commitment. Talent helps, but it isn't necessary. Schumacher was never the most naturally gifted driver, but having spoken to people that raced with him when he was a karter he had full commitment and dedication...

You will not find that commitment in someone who just races sims, and comes up with excuses as to why they can't race
Quote from Intrepid :Modern race drivers have to have a VAST amount of interest in the mechanical workings of their vehicle. Moderns cars, and karts are just DATA machines. If you can't interpret that data, and the workins of a vehicle your useless as a driver.

Rubbish. Every driver in top level motorsport has mechanics all around him whose job it is to explain and interpret to him what means what and the relevant setup changes needed.

Quote :
You will not find that commitment in someone who just races sims, and comes up with excuses as to why they can't race

Sorry I know I and a lot of other people here would jump at the chance to drive professionally were someone to suddenly offer us a serious drive and career path. However, we don't feel that it's worth the risk to find out if we are any good.
Quote from ajp71 :Rubbish. Every driver in top level motorsport has mechanics all around him whose job it is to explain and interpret to him what means what and the relevant setup changes needed.

OMFG are you being serious? a top level driver doesn't need mechanical knowledge?

Quote :Sorry I know I and a lot of other people here would jump at the chance to drive professionally were someone to suddenly offer us a serious drive and career path. However, we don't feel that it's worth the risk to find out if we are any good.

lol and my point is proven. You don't feel it's worth the risk! I am sure V1 will be very happy to give someone a drive who takes the attitude that going racing isn't really worth it, and will only do something if offered to them on a plate. So that's the DNA of a successful driver is it? a non-risk taker, who doesn't really hav an interest in cars, and only does something if handed to him/her on a plate.

Here's something for you

so u can get yourself out of that hole you have dug yourslef
Quote from Intrepid :

Here's something for you

so u can dig yourself out of that hole you have dug yourslef

Thats a ladder.

yes it is u didn't check my edit brainfade
Quote from Intrepid :So that's the DNA of a successful driver is it? a non-risk taker, who doesn't really hav an interest in cars, and only does something if handed to him/her on a plate.

Jackie Stewart definitely isn't a risk taker, he was given all his racing for free or paid to race and he still managed to win two world championships and could count the number of crashes he had in his career with his fingers (again a rather useful part of being a measured non-risk taker).
:munching_
Quote from ajp71 :Jackie Stewart definitely isn't a risk taker, he was given all his racing for free or paid to race and he still managed to win two world championships

Don't let Jackie hear you say he only won two world championships!
Quote from ajp71 :Jackie Stewart definitely isn't a risk taker, he was given all his racing for free or paid to race and he still managed to win two world championships and could count the number of crashes he had in his career with his fingers (again a rather useful part of being a measured non-risk taker).

Any nutter willing to race those cars was a risk taker... also BTW he was a trainee mechanic in his younger day. I guess that mechanical knowledge didn't help him at all though. and risk taker doesn't always mean putting your physical safety on the line...
Even if you did have the skills and dedication to make enough money at 16 to go racing on a shoestring do you really think your chances would be good against people who have nothing else to worry about than their next training or their next test day? Surely to make that kind of money you'd be working till late Friday night while the others are testing since Wednesday or Thursday?

So I don't see why V1 wouldn't make sense, even if you were right.
So you think it's not worth doing it because the others are getting it on a plate? So if your poor you should give up, just give up, never dedicate yourself to anything because other people just 'have the cash'?????

It doesn't matter what other people do... you have to make your OWN oppurtunities in life, and not care about other people's wealth! As Will explained he races on a stupidly low budget compared to everyone else, yet has established himself as one of the top rated drivers!!!! TOTALLY defeating your point!

If you have enough drive, and don't have a 'what's the point?' attitude anything is possible!

Just more excuses as to why you can't do something...

V1 Championship
(738 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG