The online racing simulator
Whole new tyre physics model! Look forward to testing it

I've thought for about a year now that the old model felt well balanced and more natural to how a real life car would corner with a symmetrical setup when in LFS you set positive camber on the inside tyre for a corner. It's good to know I wasn't totally crazy, because when I made such comments to some people they thought I was looney lol

That could possibly have a bearing on so many things in LFS my mind is drooling If the inside has more play at the limit of grip than it does now then cutting a corner will possibly be less advantage than currently Also the very obvious one is that locked diffs and high preload will behave a little differently at the limit than they currently do, and when trail braking into a corner the clutch pack diff will likely behave a little differently to how it does now with low preload.... also I can see that camber tyre wear heat etc all could be different - the mind boggles at the possibilities

Thx for the report the wait will be worth it imo

kaynd had some interesting ideas as well. http://www.lfsforum.net/showthread.php?p=960535#post960535

Another area that might benefit from all this is low speed grip?
:jawdrop:

:huepfenic :woohoo:

...not that I think there is anything really wrong with the current physics. Exciting news nontheless.
great news! looking forward to it
this is great to hear from the devs!!!. Its great to know there is going to be a new tire model!!!. would also be great if there was new tracks!!!! new tire model on old tracks dont get me so excited not to sound like down or anything but just realistic. NEW tracks i hope they surprise us with those.....and change those darn curbs on fern bay and that darn bridge when you nip it, it ruins your geometry. well maybe by the time my iracing sub runs out lfs would be updated .
Thanks ,we are waiting all the time
Yea! Thanks Scawen!

I hope we're getting close to the new patch
I have a question: Will there be any impact on the FPS and overall performance?
mint
Quote from breadfan :I have a question: Will there be any impact on the FPS and overall performance?

I dont think so, maybe just a bit because of the Scirocco's high poly model? Not sure, but if there will be then its worth it - no matter what lol.
Cool.
Sounds awesome
orto
Oh god this patch is going to be huge. Thanks for great news!
I never lost faith
jesus that car just looks so good awsome news
o0 sweeeeeeeeeet
Summary of tyre sim changes please!
Quote from Shotglass :very nice

can you give some more info on how the old model worked (conceptually; no code details obviously) and how the new one is different to give us physics geeks something to fill the time with between now and when the new version goes public?

I agree, It would be great to have a short description of the conceptual differences between the old and new tyre models. Us physics geeks love this kind of stuff It would make playing the game satisfying on a much deeper level.
Fantasmicalogical!
Thank you thank you thank you thank you!! I can't believe LFS is getting even more realistic as realistic as it is already. I am happy to see this because LFS's realism in vehicle dynamics is second to none and is the reason why I love LFS and even why I trust it to improve my real life driving skills. So far, my track/drifting experience proves to me that LFS is as real as it gets vs all the other "sims" out there.
Ohhh, just imagine full grid in AS3 of SCIROCCO!!!

And another suggestion about all PBs and WRs. You could measure how many percents cars are slower with new physics than with old and change all the times according to that percentage?
Ahh.. Class A work Devs!

So this will be grip, deformation and wear? And I thought the model at the moment was the best i've ever seen . You guys have done well. You deserve a break when this is done.

But first, Scawen, could you give us any clues as to what the future of LFS holds? Go onnn.. You can tell us

Edit: lfs.net updated too!
Quote from VulcanConray :I agree, It would be great to have a short description of the conceptual differences between the old and new tyre models. Us physics geeks love this kind of stuff It would make playing the game satisfying on a much deeper level.

Yes, it would be really nice to hear a few technical details about it. Though I can understand if Scawen can't or doesn't want to reveal anything about it (yet?).

In any case, from Scawen's post I'd read that the tyre load sensitivity was adjusted, meaning a tyre with high vertical load is less efficient than it is now (less grip on the outer wheel), making the four tyres contribute more evenly to the overall grip. There must be many more changes however, since adjusting that alone would've been possible without writing a completely new tyre model.
This thread is closed

New Tyre Physics (work in progress)
(1075 posts, closed, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG