The online racing simulator
Quote from BlueFlame :Well on Cod4 when you get deep impact and stopping power, nothing can stop you blasting through all of the walls on the map and killing people. The game should be equal, whether you've played it for years, or it is your first day. You should be able to get all the weapons and not have to battle people with Juggernaut and struggle to kill them until you can get it yourself. Trust me, Cod4 without perks is a whole different game, and a better one at that.

I can't agree with this entirely.

Yes, I did prefer the original COD which had no ranks or perks. But on the other hand, I like COD4 (and BF2, for that matter) because the ranks and perks give an extra dimension to play.

As for "nothing can stop you blasting through all of the walls", that's a huge exaggeration. Only in Killhouse does Deep Impact give uber-lethal ability. I admit it was annoying for me when I was a noob, but it took only a couple of hours of play to hold my own against veterans with Overkill, Red Dot, 3x Frags (the most annoying perk of them all), etc.
Quote from samjh :I can't agree with this entirely.

Yes, I did prefer the original COD which had no ranks or perks. But on the other hand, I like COD4 (and BF2, for that matter) because the ranks and perks give an extra dimension to play.

As for "nothing can stop you blasting through all of the walls", that's a huge exaggeration. Only in Killhouse does Deep Impact give uber-lethal ability. I admit it was annoying for me when I was a noob, but it took only a couple of hours of play to hold my own against veterans with Overkill, Red Dot, 3x Frags (the most annoying perk of them all), etc.

Martyrdom....... The perks ruin the game, if you just thought of the game without perks, it would be alot better. And you can agree with that because you say you liked the original 2 Call of Dutys
Ranks and perks add a sense of achievement, it's something to work towards, a target.

Without it the game would get boring quite fast as there's nothing to work towards.
Tell that to all those Counter Strike players. It's been around for a decade (just over a decade) and still the most popular online FPS!
Well what about racing games? Does that mean we need a rank system for those aswell? No the objective is to win, be the best at any one time, you don't need unlockables for that.
Quote from DTrott :Ranks and perks add a sense of achievement, it's something to work towards, a target.

Without it the game would get boring quite fast as there's nothing to work towards.

I would think working towards killing or stopping your enemy before he does the same to you is a more important thing to work towards.
Quote from BlueFlame :Well what about racing games? Does that mean we need a rank system for those aswell? No the objective is to win, be the best at any one time, you don't need unlockables for that.

hence the reason lfs is boring now.
Quote from DTrott :Ranks and perks add a sense of achievement, it's something to work towards, a target.

Take notice of the post below yours, I've been playing CSS for a number of yeras and its not boring yet, I'd actually rather it didn't get acheivements - will just make playing competitive matches more annoying when a big popup appears and blocks your view, telling you that you've walked 20 miles in the game and deserve some e-points for it.
Quote from mcintyrej :Take notice of the post below yours, I've been playing CSS for a number of yeras and its not boring yet, I'd actually rather it didn't get acheivements - will just make playing competitive matches more annoying when a big popup appears and blocks your view, telling you that you've walked 20 miles in the game and deserve some e-points for it.

Steam achievements are discrete and only show up on the bottom right corner in a small "box" (exactly the same size as when you receive a chat message), so I think it wouldn't be a problem, but I don't see any reason at all why CS or CSS would need an achievements system. Some games need it (some people are motivated by these achievements, and even play the game just because of it), while other games can easily survive several years without them. I wouldn't mind a achievement system without unlockables, though. I love when I'm playing Team Fortress 2 and then get a small pop up on the right bottom corner: "You've won a achievement! ...." . Makes me want to play for more time than I intended to.

I have no idea how this perk system works, though.
Ok I'll make this simple...

COD Modern Warfare 2 is going to have customisable perks/killstreak bonuses... customisable people... how in the hell could that be considered dull???

Honestly, I don't think you've got the point if you feel they spoil the game or make it "dull", and if you are one of these people then the answer is simple... don't play the game, don't even bother commenting on it as all you're doing is bringing a buzzkill to people who will find the game and it's perk system rewarding and interesting
Quote from BlueFlame :Well on Cod4 when you get deep impact and stopping power, nothing can stop you blasting through all of the walls on the map and killing people. The game should be equal, whether you've played it for years, or it is your first day. You should be able to get all the weapons and not have to battle people with Juggernaut and struggle to kill them until you can get it yourself. Trust me, Cod4 without perks is a whole different game, and a better one at that.

If you're saying the perks don't make a difference to the game then you are either too bad to notice or you don't pay attention to what you are doing. Rank means jack all the rank does is enable you to get more weapons and perks, perks are un-realistic to an intense degree and it ruins the game completely. Public gaming is for people who don't pay attention, but the game is better without perks and they should have made the game without them. Like Cod1 and Cod2 you just chose your weapon and you went.

Absolutely wrong on all counts... again as I said originally it all depends on individual skill at the game.

Oh, and feeling that perks/rank don't make a difference doesn't mean that I'm bad at the game or don't pay attention to what I'm doing, quite the opposite actually. I feel good enough at the game to make perks a moot point when coming against someone with/without better perks than myself....

If your opponent has Juggernaut, it won't work if you get a headshot.

Deep impact & stopping power only works if you're extremely good at the game, as stopping power doesn't do what it says on the tin.. it's slows your opponent down slightly, but if their aim is true and their gun's more powerful, then you're dead simple as that... Otherwise, he'll get away and then you're on the hunt or killed by another player simple as.

The game should be equal??? Wtf are you talking about "equal"... if all were to be equal then it would be the dullest game ever... what's the fun in having a game where everything is of equal power etc to the rest... ???

IMHO, it seems to me that you've played COD4, got your ass handed to you in every way and decided that the game wasn't any good because you weren't any good at it
So being able to choose how you want to play the game is more boring than having no choice at all? That makes absolutely no sense.

CoD4's multiplayer was good, although the levels felt a little static in places. MW2 is going to improve on that and have destructible scenery to liven up the maps. Can't say fairer than that.

And besides, even if you object to the customisable part, you're never forced to use it - there are 5 or 6 preset ones to choose from if you want to feel like you're still in a prehistoric FPS.
Quote from [SR] Pablo :
IMHO, it seems to me that you've played COD4, got your ass handed to you in every way and decided that the game wasn't any good because you weren't any good at it

Go play league matches, they don't use perks there

On the contrary, do you get perks in a real war? No. Do you get extra health after so long in the services? No. Perks are d*ck, end of. I never was, never am and never will be shit at call of duty, it's one of the easiest games to play, and it bores me, and as a result I neither will buy Call of duty 5 or COD:MC2. I played the original Call of Duty and Call of Duty2, so I know how to play the damn game. Played in many teams on CoD2, Slovenian, Finnish, French, Dutch and Danish teams, and this was because of my skill. I'm not big-headed there's a hell of a-load more players that are way better than I, but these guys are getting paid for it. You just offend me when you suggest someone who has played Cod4 on a professional degree, to the professional rules, was not good at the game, or maybe this is your way of challenging me to a duel?
It's not trying to be a simulator. But some of the perks are possible IRL. Sprinting distance in game is short compared to what a trained soldier can do, so improving that is standard. Likewise, holding your breath for a long time can be trained. Spotting explosives is a trained skill.

Sure, you can't make your bullets do more damage (unless you think of it as switching to non-regulation or hollow points) or teach yourself to survive more shots, but those are to keep it playable for people with bad aims. I'm pretty sure all of the others could be equated to a specific branch of training if you feel you need to make it real.

If you want a proper military simulation, CoD is not the franchise for you. ArmA2 or Op Flashpoint 2 will be much better bets for the hardcore.
Quote from Dajmin :It's not trying to be a simulator. But some of the perks are possible IRL. Sprinting distance in game is short compared to what a trained soldier can do, so improving that is standard. Likewise, holding your breath for a long time can be trained. Spotting explosives is a trained skill.

Sure, you can't make your bullets do more damage (unless you think of it as switching to non-regulation or hollow points) or teach yourself to survive more shots, but those are to keep it playable for people with bad aims. I'm pretty sure all of the others could be equated to a specific branch of training if you feel you need to make it real.

If you want a proper military simulation, CoD is not the franchise for you. ArmA2 or Op Flashpoint 2 will be much better bets for the hardcore.

I agree with what you say, but I like small maps, no vehicles or bonus accesories (such as airstike and helicopter and UAV) and just fast paced play, like Counter-strike, Day Of Defeat or the original Call Of Duty's.
Quote from BlueFlame :I agree with what you say, but I like small maps, no vehicles or bonus accesories (such as airstike and helicopter and UAV) and just fast paced play, like Counter-strike, Day Of Defeat or the original Call Of Duty's.

Then play Counter-strike, Day of Defeat, or the original Call of Duty.

Different strokes for different folks, you know.
Quote from BlueFlame :I agree with what you say, but I like small maps, no vehicles or bonus accesories (such as airstike and helicopter and UAV) and just fast paced play, like Counter-strike, Day Of Defeat or the original Call Of Duty's.

Yeah because CoD:UO was small maps with no vehicles and fast action. .
Quote from Velociround :Steam achievements are discrete and only show up on the bottom right corner in a small "box" (exactly the same size as when you receive a chat message), so I think it wouldn't be a problem, but I don't see any reason at all why CS or CSS would need an achievements system. Some games need it (some people are motivated by these achievements, and even play the game just because of it), while other games can easily survive several years without them. I wouldn't mind a achievement system without unlockables, though. I love when I'm playing Team Fortress 2 and then get a small pop up on the right bottom corner: "You've won a achievement! ...." . Makes me want to play for more time than I intended to.

I have no idea how this perk system works, though.

On CSS most people (in high end competition) play on a lower resolution, as it makes the models appear larges (especially their heads :d) so a box that's otherwise tiny on a 1280 x 1024, fills up quite a large space on a 640 x 480 screen.

So much so that if someone spams me like 3 times I can hardly see what I'm doing.
Quote from DejaVu :Yeah because CoD:UO was small maps with no vehicles and fast action. .

I never said I played UO read the post.
I just had a horrible realisation... I'm going to be at university when this game comes out, and the PS3 will be at home so I'll only get to play this game once every few months. Noooooooooooooooooooooooo! I might just not go to uni, save everyone the hassle of me missing CoD.
Or...bring the PS3 with you? Every dorm has at least one PC, so hooking up a PS3 should be no problem
Quote from dougie-lampkin :Or...bring the PS3 with you? Every dorm has at least one PC, so hooking up a PS3 should be no problem

No, otherwise the rest of my family who aren't at university would be a little miffed that I had taken it!
sneak it out in the night
Quote from BlueFlame :Go play league matches, they don't use perks there

On the contrary, do you get perks in a real war? No. Do you get extra health after so long in the services? No. Perks are d*ck, end of. I never was, never am and never will be shit at call of duty, it's one of the easiest games to play, and it bores me, and as a result I neither will buy Call of duty 5 or COD:MC2. I played the original Call of Duty and Call of Duty2, so I know how to play the damn game. Played in many teams on CoD2, Slovenian, Finnish, French, Dutch and Danish teams, and this was because of my skill. I'm not big-headed there's a hell of a-load more players that are way better than I, but these guys are getting paid for it. You just offend me when you suggest someone who has played Cod4 on a professional degree, to the professional rules, was not good at the game, or maybe this is your way of challenging me to a duel?

and you offended me by saying that I pay no attention to what I do or wasn't very good at the game because I felt that perks made no difference when compared to individual skill.... I don't wish to be rude, but COD & COD2 were completely different games to Modern Warfare and WOW, so trying to compare them is a complete waste of time... and who said anything about them being realistic???

It's an FPS ffs, grab your gun, annex your skills to help you in certain situations and blow the hell out of everything that moves... again... I have to ask... what's so dull about that... you're not making your case here mate tbh

FYI... I have played league matches... and there're definitely perks allowed there so I don't know where you've gotten that from... I've set up maps with perks turned off, but they were dull and boring and everyone left the server before the match even ended... so again I ask... how is your way better???
Quote from [SR] Pablo :
FYI... I have played league matches... and there're definitely perks allowed there so I don't know where you've gotten that from... I've set up maps with perks turned off, but they were dull and boring and everyone left the server before the match even ended... so again I ask... how is your way better???

What league is that, Enemy Down(worst league goin)?

Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2
(889 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG