The online racing simulator
welll... here in mexico is EXPENSIVE to race... need to win more than 20k dollars a month to maintain everything. In racing, if you wanna practice every week or so.
All I see here is someone being jealous of the probability of someone making it further then him faster and easier than him...
The world as it exists now is neither fair or just...get over it.

And the fact that your stating anybody could do it with enough dedication and courage is exactly what I find naive. YOU are a result of your entourage and the motivation it pushes through you. Be it direct or indirect. ALWAYS.

I grew up in a normal suburban family with no interest whatsoever in automobile racing, and my only passion came from watching tv and the occasional local karting exit allowed once or twice in a year. I was still in a family that paid my meals and scholarship so, no, I couldn't say f**k this all I'm leaving it all for karting (a dead-end career for 95% of the people attempting it). These people pushed me through my attempts of getting a real stable revenue sometime that might get them of their back as quickly as possible, which is what most families attempt to do as politely as possible.

If you ever make it high in your attempt I will be the first to root for you, but that doesn't mean I'm going to discredit anyone who makes it faster and easier than you, and is still FASTER than you.

How many times has it happened that someone on a server is faster than you on their 5th lap with less laps on that combo and less miles on their license overall? Many? Got my point? Would you want to put a penalty on them because they didn't put in as much sacrifice as you did in your sim-racing attempt? This is exactly parallel to what you're saying in this thread.

And please cease this talk about excuses etc...If someone has made it in a higher rank than you in any manner different than you, the important thing is that they made it, and you didn't. That's all that matters. Ceasing opportunities is all that matters.
Quote from ajp71 :Jackie Stewart definitely isn't a risk taker,

ROFL

Jackie may be the spokesman for safety issues, but don't mistake that for being risk averse. He competed for about six years before 'enlightenment' came and even then his evangelism had to be prompted by being trapped in a wet car with the electrics sparking away, drenched in petrol, with no marshals in sight to help him.

I think most of us would have had a few negative thoughts before getting into the car.... And having had such an experience how many of us would have said, "Let's have another crack at that!". AND gamble on a lesser known manufacturer, new to formula one, to provide the car (Tyrell).

Not a risk taker? My arse...
Quote from nihil :
Not a risk taker? My arse...

Read his autobiography. You'll soon realise he always weighed up everything he did before he did it and avoided taking risks, certainly not like a lot of his peers or current young racing drivers.

Quote from thisnameistaken :Don't let Jackie hear you say he only won two world championships!

How could I get that wrong :doh:
Quote from ajp71 :Read his autobiography. You'll soon realise he always weighed up everything he did before he did it and avoided taking risks,

Maybe, but I think there's a difference between avoiding risks and taking calculated risks. My point is that most of us would have weighed up the risks Jackie took, and decided "Rather you than me, mate!"

Being able to calculate the risks and use them to your advantage is what makes the difference between a racer and a winner.
Quote from chanoman315 :welll... here in mexico is EXPENSIVE to race... need to win more than 20k dollars a month to maintain everything. In racing, if you wanna practice every week or so.

Racing in the UK is as expensive as anywhere in the world. Actually I have a Mexican friend who is racing in the UK who is finding it very expensive in comparison to Mexico. I can assure you what he raced in Mexico he would not be able to afford in the UK. In fact he is even planning to race touring style cars back in Mexico! And having seen the costings I might go with him

However I do accept that in certain parts of Mexico it is considerably harder to make the most of your opportunities. however V1 are looking for UK based drivers! Anyone in the UK just doens't have an excuse!
Quote from nihil :Maybe, but I think there's a difference between avoiding risks and taking calculated risks. My point is that most of us would have weighed up the risks Jackie took, and decided "Rather you than me, mate!"

Being able to calculate the risks and use them to your advantage is what makes the difference between a racer and a winner.

Very true, of course there were huge risks he took, but he evaluated them before hand and made an informed decision. If some of the forum posters here are anything to go by it seems quite a few karters don't evaluate the risks trying to go karting poses to their future, personally I'd consider the risks motor racing poses on track aren't that great compared to the chance of giving up the best years of your life and future prospects whilst getting yourself into debt on the off chance that you might get somewhere.
Quote from ajp71 :Very true, of course there were huge risks he took, but he evaluated them before hand and made an informed decision. If some of the forum posters here are anything to go by it seems quite a few karters don't evaluate the risks trying to go karting poses to their future, personally I'd consider the risks motor racing poses on track aren't that great compared to the chance of giving up the best years of your life and future prospects whilst getting yourself into debt on the off chance that you might get somewhere.

giving up the best years of your life? RACING IS THE BEST YEARS OF YOUR LIFE!

I don't think you will meet ANYONE who has ever raced at a decent level that may not be racing now, and when you ask "was it worth it" they will say "no"

On the whole very few karters race because they think they will get to F1. the actual percentage of those drivers in minuscule compared to the bigger picture. Out of the 5000 licence holders in the UK.. there is only about 500 that compete on a NATIONAL level, with around 100-150 racing in the appropriate classes that represent the 'ladder' to F1. It's only a TINY percentage that are taking the 'risk' to get to F1! The other 4800 race for the LOVE of RACING, and don't sit at a computer driving sims, hoping one day a race team might come up with some idea to get a simmer in a race car. And that CERTAINLY isnt the makings of a race driver

If some simmer can;t show dedication to race now, why the hell would V1 expect them to put in the hours at the gym, and sacrifice everything to race?

what extraordinary statements you make!
Quote from Intrepid :giving up the best years of your life? RACING IS THE BEST YEARS OF YOUR LIFE!

I don't think you will meet ANYONE who has ever raced at a decent level that may not be racing now, and when you ask "was it worth it" they will say "no"

On the whole very few karters race because they think they will get to F1. the actual percentage of those drivers in minuscule compared to the bigger picture. Out of the 5000 licence holders in the UK.. there is only about 500 that compete on a NATIONAL level, with around 100-150 racing in the appropriate classes that represent the 'ladder' to F1. It's only a TINY percentage that are taking the 'risk' to get to F1! The other 4800 race for the LOVE of RACING, and don't sit at a computer driving sims, hoping one day a race team might come up with some idea to get a simmer in a race car. And that CERTAINLY isnt the makings of a race driver

If some simmer can;t show dedication to race now, why the hell would V1 expect them to put in the hours at the gym, and sacrifice everything to race?

what extraordinary statements you make!

Man you just need to chill, relax.

Your talking from your experience and thats great but your experiences and others are completly diffrent honestly your love of racing is inspiring but you just need to chillax abit.
Seriously what's the rush, if you don't plan on a career in motorsport there's no need to make the sacrifice to go karting when you can't afford to, get a proper job and career and in a few years time you can go racing karts or cars, whatever you want to without giving up your life. I doubt there are many people who have made large sacrifices to drive in club motorsport (note there's plenty of opportunity to get involved and do everything but the driving for free) who will turn round to you in a few years time and say yes it was worth giving up so much to not have to wait a few years and race something far more meaty with less financial worry.
Quote from Intrepid :Racing in the UK is as expensive as anywhere in the world. Actually I have a Mexican friend who is racing in the UK who is finding it very expensive in comparison to Mexico. I can assure you what he raced in Mexico he would not be able to afford in the UK. In fact he is even planning to race touring style cars back in Mexico! And having seen the costings I might go with him

Maybe i know him, well, in Mexico is expensive, because not too many people have a good salary, to afford that kind of racing, and because Mexico is not a race country, its a soccer country. That's why there's no a lot of interest. Thats why series of Formula Renaults have to leave the country, thats why its expensive.
Been reading allmost the whole thread now, and it's really nice to see how the progress has been. V1 looks like a really serious and well organized thing which i think will find a good race driver in these three chaps

As for the discussion going on about dedication and interest towards racing, i think Alans version is a bit too simplified, allthough most people can afford for example a kart. Remember that just buying a kart often ain't even half the cost of a racing season and you have to be able to keep your machine at a resonably good condition at all times, as there are very few people who wins with a kart which is not kept up to date, or looks and is like a wreck to drive... All this together often requires a push and support from either family or other people.

However, it looks like most of the guys at this forum tends to only mention their parents when there is talks about economic problems, but ain't there any other people in the world who could help you out? I know myself it's not easy to ask relatives in your family or even people you don't know about support economically, but if you believe in yourself, and think you can get far, why not just do it? It'll never hurt anybody to ask

I'm not trying to be harsh or ignorant here, just trying to find solutions

I started racing karts in 2002, and bought a well used little racer for 1900 euros included racing gear at the midsummer. I gotta mention that i had support from my family back then, and i'm really forver thankful for that! Anyway, the engine we used could go 8-10 hours at maximum performance, the tyres could go half the summer with lots of practise, and luckily enough there were allways 30 - 50 karts on the starting grid in each event in this particular category. After a very good 2003 season, me and dad made a list of 30 - 40 companies we saw as possible sponsors for the next season. We wanted to move up in the categories, and to race in an international category we'd have no chance with a regular family budget of ours. We got 10 sponsors out of the 40, who allmost covered the whole 2004 season, and we'd built up a good network of contacts. You know... one head of a company knows other guys who we could possbly ask, or they even have tips on how to present ourselves differently or in better ways to the sponsors. Even the companies who said no had really valuable words to us, which we've used ever since..

Today i am 17 years old, and i'm racing at a top european level with a factory team from Italy. Our sponsors and the team covers up most of the season, while my family use money for 2 races up here in Norway. We arrange special karting days for our sponsors, letting the fastest of them try real racing karts, making homepages, doing sponsor work every, exericising every day and so on.. Also, i started to cooperate with another former LFS member who's also in the same team. That has really made things a lot easier for us, as one deal with press releases , another make graphics for homepages, pictures, sponsor calendars and so on.. That might as well be a tip for those who are willing to try to start up racing

Generally, be creative! Send in notes and pictures to your local newspaper on your results, motorsport magazines and more. There's allways things you can do in order to get attention on yourself. After all, you have to be a bit of an egoist to get the spotlights on yourself within motorsports.

And please, i'm really not trying to put my own career thing on the table here, it's just to give you an example (and maybe a few tips)on how we dealt with the economic problems that most usually have to face during their career. We're still only on a karting level though, and moving up to cars or formulas is the next step (Thought, that's way more expensive at a professional level). Via V1racer you guys have got an unique chance of really getting your careers going! Don't waste this on a 50% effort, eat the right food, exericise regurarly (The norwgian olympic centre says every 16 year old top artist should exericise a minimum of 20 hours a week), get a job which doesn't require too much time, and find ways to make yourself even better and professional as a racing driver. Remember that you are the object the sponsors want to support

Just to give some support on Alans recent posts, the kart is a very simple car to handle. After a couple of practises, you can easily handle the thing yourself... Most of the karts now even has electric start, so you won't even need help to push it to practise. Also, at most of the tracks there are a whole load of very friendly people at all ages who can help you out if you have problems!

Good luck guys, i'm looking forward to see how this goes further on!
@ Chriskart

Excellent post mate, hope it continues to work out for you.

Seems like you have the talent, ambition and the support to push it hard.

Orra best
Quote from Chriskart :but if you believe in yourself, and think you can get far, why not just do it? It'll never hurt anybody to ask

Umm.. when I was 16, I asked my mum if I could have a motorbike. All I did was ask! Physio really interferes with your GCSEs exams.

:d
I also tried doing this v1 thing but i dont thing im the kind of chap to put in a race car

So now im fucusing on another dream of mine making manga ore making it a a novelist
Quote from mcgas001 :Hope you lot are all proud of yourselfs. When Jay Marshall comes back here, Hes really gonna think were nice people isnt he? :rolleyes:

I dont care what jay marshal thinks of us, not only did he waste hours of my time he wasted countless hours of other peoples time.
The website did not state the criteria that I failed to meet so I asked him nicely why I did not meet the criteria & I got some bullcr@p reply that coincidently didn't answer my question.

Tell us the Truth & stop messing people around.
Now I think perhaps everybody knows why you didn't meet the criteria required

But we still love you, Anttt
because i'm not afraid to speak my mind??

aww sam
Well, not really.. I just figure anyone who doesn't "give a sh!t what jay marshal thinks" is not going to be suitable for the V1 challenge, period. It's just logic, really

You started this thread wanting to know why the site was private. Vic pointed out that the challenge hadn't started yet. To my knowledge it still hasn't.

You just can't demand to know anything that isn't ready to be known. All this "I demand to be told the truth! Stop wasting our time!" nonsense is a bit twisted, really. You spent a bit of time hotlapping in LFS and you uploaded your hotlap online. You placed 28th so far.

I think you need to help yourself to a nice big plate of some perspective, frankly.
I didn't "demand" anything as you put it. I asked politey the reason why I failed to meet the critera & did not get an answer to my valid question.

whats wrong about that?

also LFS is not an accurate measure of driver skill in a RL situ
the league you refer to is of worldwide participation so if placed 28th or 50th i would still be quite pleased to have achived that.

I actually came 3rd in Great Britain for your information & I did'nt spend ages practicing as the combo is boring.

If you need reference to my RL racing skill see LFS karting event 2006, my team was leading the race (beating seasoned karters & tristan) until about 4 laps from the end when we had a mechanical failure.
for future reference pls dont twist my words
I was impressed by the LFS Karting event standards in 2006. I wasn't very fast that day at all . However weight plays a major factor, and the difference between karts can be up to 1-2 seconds. So to use it as an example of 'real life' isn't wholly accurate. Because hire karting isn't bound by regulations, and parity.

I have been faster than some VERY high profile drivers in hire karts in my time. And I am CERTAINLY not as fast as them. It really doesn't meant that much at all as my weight was lower at the time, and the karts differed so much. You may have been quicker, but it is IMPOSSIBLE to actually know.

I do agree that a simulation ALONE will not produce a successful race driver, which I have already set my case for.
I agree with you, weight is a factor. Our team was of mixed weights as were almost all the teams that day.

I would say that weight is mush less of a factor in twin 4 stroke karting than it is in proper 2 stroke kart racing due to the torque factor.
Quote from anttt69 :I agree with you, weight is a factor. Our team was of mixed weights as were almost all the teams that day.

I would say that weight is mush less of a factor in twin 4 stroke karting than it is in proper 2 stroke kart racing due to the torque factor.

But a factor nonetheless. Put it this way - I was doing a charity event a month or two ago. Our team was easily 2 seconds off the pace.... we kindly asked to replace our kart mid race... suddenly wam bam on pace even still with power problems.

I think V1 suggested they would use karts to help find their driver. I would guess this would be hire karts, and from my own experience that in terms of lap time don't give a fair result.

They spend hours every day getting pounded by the public. In REAL karts the difference between the fastest and slowest KART (chassis/engine) is around 3-4 tenths at most not including the completely banditised ones. In hire karts it ranges from around 1-2 seconds. for all we know the FASTEST team at the LFS thing in 2006 coulda finished 10th!

Hire karts are really just to have a laugh with, and really shouldn't be used as a tool to find 'talent'. I hope V1 can address this.
Quote from Intrepid :

Hire karts are really just to have a laugh with, and really shouldn't be used as a tool to find 'talent'. I hope V1 can address this.

I only used it as one example & would never expect anyone to talent scout by looking at joe public karting results alone (if at all).

I actually some have decent club 100 results somewhere, their karts are very well prepared as to keep an even playing field.
Either way I dont think I am of an age of who they were looking for.

V1 Championship
(738 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG