The online racing simulator
Would be nice if we could start a track from wherever we want. Or even better, if we could play with a lauched car on a specific portion of a track!
I don't know if this has been suggested in another form already (read through the existing suggestions but couldn't really find what I was exactly thinking):
A garage with *discrete* cars, sort of like the way gran turismo 4 manages the garage (yes I mentioned GT). Meaning that each car you define would have its own setup/skin and persistent stats such as:
-total miles+laps driven (should have visible odometer in gauge cluster as well)
-perhaps $ in crash damage repaired
-date purchased
-# of tires used
-etc.
Of course it would not cost you anything to add another identical car to the garage like GT, it would just help organization-wise if you wanted a specific setup linked to a specific skin. It would not be unlike the players system used in LFS already, which defines player specific settings like controls/view and such per account. Other persistent info like millage and $spent on repairs/gas so far etc. would be entirely novelty (although I suppose they could be made to affect the car over time if desired).
I understand at least the persistent stats tracking is done, to some extent, in LFSW (miles driver and fuel burnt), although that requires an online presence (not that I think that is bad) and the stats are across the entire account and not distinguished between individual cars used. Heck, maybe the "garage" could be hosted on LFSW so that it can move with you should you reformat your computer or play at a friend's house. My suggestion was intended to make the LFS somewhat more "personal" rather than simply a staid driving sim "application".
I understand that this type of addition would be more "post-S3" but I thought of it now so I'm throwing it out .
Sorry I couldn't be more concise - still working on my writing skills.
Basically you want more information about what you have done, per car. I like the idea and at the moment only way to do this is to race online and let lfsworld do its job. I would defenately like to see more information in lfsworld and some stats stored and recorded on the user's end as well. And there is always the possibility to write some kind of data logger program to do this locally...
-
(CSU1) DELETED by CSU1
multichannel audio

you see, in a reall car, the sound doesn't come from the front.... as it would in most computer and even in the most advanced and expensive simulators...., it comes from all around you, the engine humms in front, you can feel the exhaust pipe under your seat... and the noise comes from the back... multichannel audio for some other games haven't solved this... simulating the rear exhaust noise by muffling the sound like you would hear in a real car doesn't work either.... real multichannel should send loads of noise to the rear channel (wich should be placed facing backwards), simulating the real situation of a racing or street car. You might want to switch your big front speakers to the rear now

REAL engine sound (the engine doesn't sound that much), and turbo for the front speakers.

exhaust pipe and engine whine for the center channel (so we can place it under our seats)

exhaust for the rear (now here is where the real loud sound should be), i personally would place the speakers facing backwards, like a real exhaust...

seeing that some aspects of the engine sound can be modified and isolated, i think that the next step could be this.

Try this... i've done this and it's fantastic... if you have a big stereo, place it in the back of your seat... facing backwards... then, with another pair of speakers place it behind your screen... covered with a bedcover... then try DaveWS sounds for a GTR car... now that's how you'll feel real race car noise.. added if you have a big subwoofer.. try sitting on it.
I wasn't going to add this as it might sound a strange request, but right now, it's keeping me off the tracks of LFS where I would like to get back into it

All tracks be remapped properly and LOD distances reconsidered (please don't take the "properly" here as derogatory).

I and a fair few others have either noticed and / or posted about terrible blending lines in textures where single textures hold multiple styles of image, most noticeably is tarmac. This _needs_ to be 1 single texture, be it 512x512 or 1024x1024 (preferably) and multiple for different sections (ie: one that just has plain tarmac and track edge lines, one that has a grid painted on it etc). These can't be shared realistically as it creates a graphical nightmare.

Clipplanes / LODs.. AS2R I think.. as you take the first right / left chicane and then head off around the gradual left hander.. there's a row of cones directly ahead of you blocking off AS3(?). These cones appear and disappear almost randomly as though they all have different LODOut distances. Whereas these in particular aren't "annoying", some standardisation would be nice

Track lines (pit in / pit out) _need_ to be addressed. They popup and disappear 10' infront of the car's view all over the place regardless of ingame LOD settings. These _are_ really annoying and distracting.. worse, the pit in line at BL1 that would mark where you need to be at the correct pit speed doesn't appear until you're almost on top of it

I know this isn't the simplest of requests, but sincerely hope it gets looked at (and without trying to sound pushy... ASAP). After 18 months, I've come back to LFS and things do feel much better than I thought they did previously, which is a good thing(tm), but these graphics issues are meaning for me at least, that LFS is just an idle install currently as it does my nut in

Regards,

Ian
just though of something which imho would be very useful
an all-car server filter to get rid of the useless clutter
how about a thin little bar next to everyone's name in lfs servers that shows how far off they are from wr hotlap times overall. if the bar is white, they are very far off of wr times or havent done much hotlapping, if the bar is black, then they are very close to wr times. the darker the bar, the better they've done at hotlapping. this might encourage people to learn other tracks. ( hardly ever do any hotlapping myself, but this might raise the overall confidance level of racers in public servers)

it's not the greatest idea ever, but just something...
Quote from DarwinAce :multichannel audio

you see, in a reall car, the sound doesn't come from the front.... as it would in most computer and even in the most advanced and expensive simulators...., it comes from all around you, the engine humms in front, you can feel the exhaust pipe under your seat... and the noise comes from the back... multichannel audio for some other games haven't solved this... simulating the rear exhaust noise by muffling the sound like you would hear in a real car doesn't work either.... real multichannel should send loads of noise to the rear channel (wich should be placed facing backwards), simulating the real situation of a racing or street car. You might want to switch your big front speakers to the rear now

It allready has that. All you need do is use headphones. It gives full holophonic sound, and any sound can be precisely pinpointed in the space around you. Including a passing car. You hear it coming, and know what clock position he is from you just from the sound of his approaching car. I'm surprised all gamers don't use them just for that.
One of the graphics issues I have. Is the black sparklies all over the track at spots. Its probably more my vid card (Gforce2 bleh), but it'd be nice if there was a way to get rid of the damn things.
Here's one I've not seen before.

Colour code the map in MP games, so it shows diffnt colours for top 10. So people know when the front runners are coming behind them.

Give us a load setup, that only shows the selected car on the selected track, but give us the option to load a car from a different track.

Fix the bug that causes it to auto minimise whenever the CD spins up (for whatever reason it does).
bug? its a new one to me, sounds like to me like you got ANOTHER bit of software minimising LFS on reading the CD...
restoring last window position and size
I think it was suggested one time before, but I can't see it in list.
I use switching between full screen <-> window a lot, and I know I am not the only one . It's quite annoying to resize and set position of window every time...
AI's

Since LFS calculates the amount of fuel burnt per lap how about having the AI pit when their remaining fuel load is at 150% of the fuel burnt per lap amount?

Another method is to refuel them when they run outta fuel kind of like how the AI repair.
Quote from Xalies :AI's

Since LFS calculates the amount of fuel burnt per lap how about having the AI pit when their remaining fuel load is at 150% of the fuel burnt per lap amount?

Another method is to refuel them when they run outta fuel kind of like how the AI repair.

Yeh that annoys me too. I'd like to be able to have the AI pit. Without it, you can' run them for really long races. At blackwood, the best you can do is about 40 odd laps in the XFG. Not sure about other tracks/cars. I'm amazed they didn't do it when they made the game.

V
I know this has been suggested already (parts that fall off of cars when crashing) but I want to make sure of something a bit more specific:

Have the parts follow proper physics (at the very least, the tires!!) when they fall off. This can be done client side only for visual purposes.

The best part of GPL for me so far (since I can't drive worth &%$@) is watching my wheels lazily roll past my eyes as I come resting upside down against the armco...
Thank you for maintaining this list which is a useful reference I look at sometimes when patches are approaching.

I just want to comment on two lines that aren't needed any more :

Quote from Hyperactive : + Possibility to have flags shown when using shift + F

That's done now.

Quote from Hyperactive : + Disconnection notifications: http://www.lfsforum.net/showthread.php?t=13178

I think this problem is now solved. There was as issue with CPW causing a lot of disconnects. Also there is always a leave reason displayed, at least on the screen of the people who don't get disconnected. Of course I can't display a reave reason on the person who got disconnected, in some cases like they timed out or their connection broke down. But a CPW or OOS type of disconnection is displayed on the screen of the disconnected computer and everyone else's.
Quote from Scawen :Thank you for maintaining this list which is a useful reference I look at sometimes when patches are approaching.

I just want to comment on two lines that aren't needed any more :

Thanks for pointing out those

I haven't actually checked the list for a short while for already done items.
Maybe it's time.

Hope it is useful, your list is of course bigger

EDIT: list updated. I tried to read the whole list throught and deleted double stuff plus added new sparkling silver text color coding thingy for implemented suggestions. I might be doing the whole hierarchy again later todays
I admit, it is a bit mesy at the moment and not easy to search for specific stuff....

EDIT2!:
Quote from Scawen :I think this problem is now solved. There was as issue with CPW causing a lot of disconnects. Also there is always a leave reason displayed, at least on the screen of the people who don't get disconnected. Of course I can't display a reave reason on the person who got disconnected, in some cases like they timed out or their connection broke down. But a CPW or OOS type of disconnection is displayed on the screen of the disconnected computer and everyone else's.

That peculiar line on my list is a bit unclear. It was actually meant to "show better and more detailed information of what caused disconnection". One way of doing this would be to add a line at the end of the replay to show what caused the replay to stop. Like store the lines shown when you disconnect in the replay. So in the end of normal replays you could (always?) have a text like "User left server, replay ended OK". Or "User lost connection, timed out."?

I changed the line in the list to "More descriptive information on disconnects" and removed the link to make it more ...descriptive.

EDIT3: updated the list with a better hierarchy. Hopefully better...
One thing I'd like to see; is the ability to define a Deadzone on my controller. Joystick users would love this, and I'm one of them.

V
you have this twice with the same topic links.

+ More bumps on tracks in general:

Fixed, thanks for noticing
Quote from huio0 :I think there wasn't any suggestions about the feeling of speed. It's not the biggest issue but I think it could be done a bit better - a better feeling of your speed. When I'm doing 100mph it just doesn't seems so. Different cars act differently at high speeds (not just in corners)...I don't know exactly how to explain but in rFactor and GTR I got much better feeling of my speed (not to mension RBR) and it gives me some extra adrenalin...

Thing is, in modern cars... the sense of speed is reduced alot. Not like the old days when everything shook when you got to 100mph lol.... I think the sense of speed in LFS is quite accurate. Probably in those other games, the sense of speed was vamped up a bit to make it more exciting.

V
I don't know if something like this already exists in the game but it would be cool to be able to display an arrow showing the direction and the intensity of the G received by the driver.
You can see that down at the bottom of the screen if you press F9 or F10.
Quote from Scawen :You can see that down at the bottom of the screen if you press F9 or F10.

Thx
Something I'd love to see, though people are going to jump down my throat for this.

A horn in the Open Wheelers. Yes Yes I know... but how many times could an accident have been avoided simply by a toot of ur horn to let the guy next to u know ur there. Its a simple thing, that doesn't take any thing away, yet makes it safer for all. Give us the horn pls.

Another thing that would take some realism away, and add some. Currently with the MRT; there's no reverse gear. Simply because it shouldn't have one. So if you get stuck; your only way out is to hit reset car. I'm pretty much a purist, but I think even though the car wouldn't have one; I'd much rather reverse out than have to teleport out with reset.

Venus

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG