The online racing simulator
Physics
+ wheel-to-wheel crash physics. think of geoff crammond's grand prix 2 and 3. whenever two open wheel cars touch wheels, there should be a strong possibility of one or both of these cars being launched into the air. at the moment, when racing open wheelers, crash physics reflect racing in tin tops. iirc open wheelers are not known for trading paint :P

LFSWorld
... in addition to downloadable driver suits (already in list), people should be able to upload/download gloves and driver faces. the latter option would necessitate transparent helmet visors. i think it would be cool to be able to apply a pic of your own face to your driver
+ should be able to choose whether to automatically download a combination of car skin/helmet/driver suit/gloves/face. a system of tick boxes would work well here

I posted these earlier but can't find them on the list. Please let me know if you don't think these are good ideas.
Quote from geezer45 :Physics
+ wheel-to-wheel crash physics. think of geoff crammond's grand prix 2 and 3. whenever two open wheel cars touch wheels, there should be a strong possibility of one or both of these cars being launched into the air. at the moment, when racing open wheelers, crash physics reflect racing in tin tops. iirc open wheelers are not known for trading paint :P

+proper suspensions, tire damage, broken steering shafts etc.
Quote from geezer45 :LFSWorld
... in addition to downloadable driver suits (already in list), people should be able to upload/download gloves and driver faces. the latter option would necessitate transparent helmet visors. i think it would be cool to be able to apply a pic of your own face to your driver
+ should be able to choose whether to automatically download a combination of car skin/helmet/driver suit/gloves/face. a system of tick boxes would work well here

I posted these earlier but can't find them on the list. Please let me know if you don't think these are good ideas.

I'll add these suggestions when I update the list next time. I have just forgotten them or something

Found some discussions about them too:
http://www.lfsforum.net/showth ... amp;highlight=helmet+face
If there is ONE thing that the devs should do, I think it should be to offer LFS Full Install download as a torrent. As a 56k user (don't blame me, I have tried and failed to convince my parents to get broadband), I am beginning to find it really annoying to have waited all night for LFS to download, only to find that it has failed at 95%. I tried again last night and it failed, making it the 7th time I have tried to download it, and come up empty handed. If LFS were offered via torrent, I, and i'm sure alot of other wannabe LFS players would be able to get the download reliably through a stable service that isn't prone to timing out, or failing because of a line drop out/disconnection.

+10 Download via .Torrent

Thoughts?
Quote from tubby_canna :If there is ONE thing that the devs should do, I think it should be to offer LFS Full Install download as a torrent. As a 56k user (don't blame me, I have tried and failed to convince my parents to get broadband), I am beginning to find it really annoying to have waited all night for LFS to download, only to find that it has failed at 95%. I tried again last night and it failed, making it the 7th time I have tried to download it, and come up empty handed. If LFS were offered via torrent, I, and i'm sure alot of other wannabe LFS players would be able to get the download reliably through a stable service that isn't prone to timing out, or failing because of a line drop out/disconnection.

+10 Download via .Torrent

Thoughts?

You don't necessarily need torrents for that. Internet browsers like Opera can resume downloads with one click and with download managers you can continue the download in small bits. You might ask from your school or from some of your friends if they could download the LFS and burn it on CD too. A CD should be cheaper in the end too
Quote from Hyperactive :You don't necessarily need torrents for that. Internet browsers like Opera can resume downloads with one click and with download managers you can continue the download in small bits. You might ask from your school or from some of your friends if they could download the LFS and burn it on CD too. A CD should be cheaper in the end too

Yeah I use a d/load manager called Flashgot, which is apparently like the best one you can get for Firefox, but it just stops downloading, and refuses to start again. I've also tried with the standard Firefox download manager, but that doesn't work either. As for getting a friend to burn it for me, I realise that I can do that, and I actually have asked a friend to burn it for me just this morning, but I just think that having a torrent file makes it easier for everyone, as they dont have to have the hassle of asking people to download it, getting cd's etc, even though they (as I do) have only 2 mb left to download.
I'd just like to comment on the existing line "Fix differentials".

I do hear that a lot but it's a bit strange because it suggests that they are broken in some way.
But they are not, there is no known bug with them as far as I know.

So it should be more accurate and specific, such as :

"Add preload setting to clutch pack differential"
"Add torsen differential"
one thing that i think would be nice to have is the tab scorelist from fps games
first of all having detailed ping reports for every player are always useful imho and it could keep track of scores by counting podium finishes/or a points system
Quote from Scawen :But they are not, there is no known bug with them as far as I know.

So is it really realistic, that the GTI and FXO go faster (with less understeer) through a corner if you are on full throttle? I would expect the exact opposite, because of a) the weight transfer to the rear when accelerating and b) the wheels sliding more.

Edit: Yes, I was talking about locked diffs.
Quote from GP4Flo :So is it really realistic, that the GTI and FXO go faster (with less understeer) through a corner if you are on full throttle? I would expect the exact opposite, because of a) the weight transfer to the rear when accelerating and b) the wheels sliding more.

You are speaking from locked diff now?
Really it would be better to discuss on another thread.

But the last thing I'll say on this thread, is there is no reason at all to assume that because locked diff performs well in LFS, that there is something wrong with the locked diffs. It's far more likely to be related to tyre physics, if locked diffs seem to perform slightly better in LFS than they do in real life. Even though in real life locked diffs are often used in cheap racing classes, as a simple and cheap improvement over open diffs, only a welder is required to lock the diff.

There isn't any reason to think it's anything to do with the locked diff code. Locked diff is a very simple simulation and there's nothing wrong with it.

But if we are going to talk about diffs, let's not discuss it on this thread, it's really the wrong place. I don't even want to talk about them anyway, I'm just pointing how it's wrong when people say the diffs must be fixed - because they aren't broken - they are doing what they were meant to do! I know there are good reasons to want preload in the clutch pack diffs, but that doesn't mean the current ones are broken either.
I'll change the line to incomplete. I'll see if there is anything else broken too
Quote from huio0 :Just a question: why is there so much smoke when you drive with worn tires?

You mean hot tyres or just worn tires with ok temperatures? Flatspots also make smoke.
Quote from GP4Flo :So is it really realistic, that the GTI and FXO go faster (with less understeer) through a corner if you are on full throttle? I would expect the exact opposite, because of a) the weight transfer to the rear when accelerating and b) the wheels sliding more.

Edit: Yes, I was talking about locked diffs.

Thanks, I am interested and concerned about why the locked diffs work so well in LFS. I think the answer is in the levels of grip and forces applied when the tyres slip. I think the tyre physics allow too much difference in the speed of the left and right tyres, so you don't get some of the disadvantages of a locked diff. But I haven't studied it in detail yet. I have checked over the locked diff code a few times just to check and all it really does is keeps both sides locked together in rotation. But we know the longitudinal tyre forces need some improvements, for example the well known thing that in many cars the acceleration seems too good if you just wheelspin.
I'm pretty sure most talk about "fixing diffs" is related to the resulting car handling when using a certain differential, not about the differential modelling itself. Besides preload, it's actually the finer characteristics of the tyre physics that need to be looked into to "fix the diffs", like you suggested. It's just that these minor flaws in the tyre physics are most apparent in the choice of the differential, which is IMO the reason these flaws are referred to as errors in the diff.
Just a side note: Torsen diffs would be great too... :hide:
There's no virtual side driving mirrors?

I am using this view

And I m completely blind on both side!
Quote from Ball Bearing Turbo :Just a side note: Torsen diffs would be great too... :hide:

from what scawen recently said i think we can deduct its on the list for the next physics patch
From first post
Quote : If you notice some suggestions missing, please make a post here about it.

Do not post your new improvement suggestions here! This also isn't a discussion thread about the suggestions! Comment the suggestions in their own threads, thank you.

Here's a suggestion:

Could you give us the ability to save outlap data from multiplayer replays please? Some of my best laps are done in MP; and there's no way to view the outlap data.

Another thing about hotlaps; is it'd be great (If the internet connection is active) if we can have access to the /w pb and /w wr info. Or at least have it displayed somewhere on the screen. PB is less important; but WR would be useful.

One thing I would LOVE to see. The head automatically turns with the wheel. In a real car; on a tight corner; you often end up looking out the side window at the apex. I'd love to see that implemented in this. So my point of view not only moves forward backward with acceleration etc; but also side to side with steering; just like in real life.

Bit of a wish would be; and automatic download of WR replays. . Asking alot I know; but it'd be nice...

V
Quote from JTbo :From first post

so ? its turned into the "tiny suggestions that arent worth opening a thread for" thread ... which is a good thing otherwise this section would be a mess

Quote from Venus :One thing I would LOVE to see. The head automatically turns with the wheel. In a real car; on a tight corner; you often end up looking out the side window at the apex. I'd love to see that implemented in this. So my point of view not only moves forward backward with acceleration etc; but also side to side with steering; just like in real life.

options => view => look function => steer
Quote from Shotglass :so ? its turned into the "tiny suggestions that arent worth opening a thread for" thread ... which is a good thing otherwise this section would be a mess

Yes itsa log, and remember
Quote from Hyperactive :Yes. Everythign you say or do not say may or may not be used against you

Quote from Hyperactive :+proper suspensions, tire damage, broken steering shafts etc.

I'll add these suggestions when I update the list next time. I have just forgotten them or something

Found some discussions about them too:

Thanks for that mate .. I just wasn't sure if that had been covered :P

Can't wait to experience those kinds of incidents, though hopefully by then the silly crash physics will be improved
Quote from Shotglass :so ? its turned into the "tiny suggestions that arent worth opening a thread for" thread ... which is a good thing otherwise this section would be a mess

options => view => look function => steer

No; thats not what I mean. That just rotates the fixed view. Which isn't all that useful; as its fixed to whatever you set it to. What I'd like; is its linked to steering; so as I increase lock to left say; my view rotated left and equal num degress. (I just check that btw, those options. Its fixed).

Ven
Another small thing I'd like to see changed, is the rear view in Open Wheelers. I'd like it more centered. Currently; when you look back; you get a eye full of dorsal which is fine, its meant to be that way. But you only see the left rear; the right rear is blocked. I'd rather be able to either choose either via buttom choice; or centred. I understand why its like this; as in real life if u turned left; you would only see left rear or right. Dorsal would never be centred in RL. But dual choice would be nice. ie let me choose if i look rear left, or rear right.

V

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG