The online racing simulator
Quote from lucaf :Suggestion for layouts: more lenght options for slabs and ramps, now there are options like 8.00m and 16.00m, is it complicated to make free lenght? User could enter how many meters. I need longer pieces Smile Would be useful when building long bridges - now long bridge requires to make long chain of pieces and I cannot move the whole bridge at once because I cannot multiselect all those pieces at the same time.

Also I wish some change in the public server list in the TRACK NAME column, in case its an open configuration. I have couple of layouts of mixed surface (rallycross & tarmac) and it is misleading if the TRACK NAME just says "Fern Bay Rallycross" and the result is, that everyone who doesnt like 100% rallycross, probably will not join the server. So in my opinion the TRACK NAME column should display the layout name, wich of course then encourages layout creators to give "names" for their track.

Both are suggested before Big grin
Suggestion for damage repair: Since LFS mechanics are well known for their extremely fast repair ability, I wish also engine damages could be repaired. Of course engine damage repair could/should last longer, but it would be still taken as convenient choice in longer races.
Suggestion for tv camera of replays: currently the camera is able to follow the car on horizontal level, but not on vertical level. If I have custom bridges on layout, the tv camera does not catch the car since it follows the car from ground level instead of correct Z-level.
Suggestion for layout editor: Objects and multiselected objects can be copied in windows clipboard and pasted into another instance of LFS and another layout
Quote from lucaf :Suggestion for layout editor: Objects and multiselected objects can be copied in windows clipboard and pasted into another instance of LFS and another layout

hmmmmm...!?
There is a minor usability problem with the client list (the list you see when press N): When somebody enters/leave the server, and at the same time somebody else clicks a row for voting kick/ban or sending SS, the click may go to wrong row because row count changes when somebody enters/leaves. Sometimes just funny situations when you vote ban for a clean driver Smile
No simulator has done FRIC suspension.

Mostly because Williams invented it, patented it, and no one's using it anymore. Either that or FRIC has been evolved into something else, because I only heard it in 2015.
hmm..
Actually interconnected suspensions are not a new thing at all. First mass produced vehicle to use interconnected suspension (mechanical) was developed in the 1930's, but was released after ww2. That vehicle was Citroen 2CV. I think I should point out, that the reason the 2CV has rather large body movements, is that Citroen used very soft springs because of the very bad roads in france.

I think it's a shame that modern automobile manufacturers have lost the knowledge of interconnected suspensions. Modern cars use 4 corner spring and 1 or 2 antirollbars, so 5 or 6 springs in total. And racing vehicles have started to use those so-called third springs in front and rear, so 7 or 8 springs in total. What's slightly funny, is that with simple mechanical interconnected suspension, you would only need 3 springs in total to control all suspension modes.

Even the 2CV suspension could be made simpler. Simplest interconnected suspension could be made with 3 z-springs. A z-spring is spring that resists wheel movement in same direction, but wheels are free to move in opposite directions. For example centrally pivoted leaf spring, or torsion bar in z-shape (antirollbars are u-springs, springs that resist movement in opposite direction)

You would need:
-1 longitudal z-spring between left side front and rear wheels (for example simple torsion bar)
-1 longitudal z-spring between right side front and rear wheels.
-1 lateral z-spring between right and left wheel (can be mounted to front or rear axle, or you can have lateral z-springs at both axles. And by making this spring adjustable, you could have simple self-leveling suspension.)

With that suspension:
-roll is controlled by the longitudal z-springs
-pitching is controlled by the lateral z-spring
-heave is controller by the longitudal and lateral z-springs
-twist is completely soft, and this is very good thing, because with twist soft suspension, your lateral load transfer distribution between front and rear wheel is determined with the geometry of the z-bar (=how much leverage front and rear wheel have to the spring) and it can be anything between 100%/0% to 0%/100%, so you can freely adjust the handling balance. With modern stiffly sprung cars, the handling balance is pretty much dictated by the twist in the road.
-travelling comfort would be much better with interconnected suspension than with conventionally sprung.

It's not very complicated to even have a mechanical suspension with fully separated suspension modes with separate springs for pitch, roll and heave.

Pitch: Wheels at front and rear move in opposite directions (braking, acceleration)
Roll: Wheel at left side move in opposite direction than right side wheels
Heave: All wheels move in same direction
Twist: Wheels in opposite corners move in same direction.

Good way to understand the basic principles behind interconnected suspensions, is to build a model using legos.

Interesting feature of interconnected suspensions is that even if you installed extremely stiff springs, so that you would have no roll/pitch/heave, your tyres would still be able to follow the undulations of the terrain. One vehicle type with need for maximum traction, has extremely stiff suspension (=no suspension) and has soft twist mode, is farm tractor. Rear axle solidly mounted to the frame, and front axle with central hinge (front axle works as a very stiff lateral z-spring).
Attached images
2cv suspension.png
Quote from Juge_ :Snip.

Basically like 2 syringes connected together with a tube, push one end and the other end rises/falls. Ain't it? Rofl
Quote from Juge_ :I think I should point out, that the reason the 2CV has rather large body movements, is that Citroen used very soft springs because of the very bad roads in france.

One of the funniest things I have ever seen in racing was the start of a 2CV race - at the end of the straight, every single car turned their wheels, rolled heavily to the outer front wheel... and carried on in a perfectly straight line, into the grass in perfect synch. Colour me unimpressed by 2CV suspension Smile
Quote from Racon :One of the funniest things I have ever seen in racing was the start of a 2CV race - at the end of the straight, every single car turned their wheels, rolled heavily to the outer front wheel... and carried on in a perfectly straight line, into the grass in perfect synch. Colour me unimpressed by 2CV suspension Smile

You mean like this

Quote from MicroSpecV :Basically like 2 syringes connected together with a tube, push one end and the other end rises/falls. Ain't it? Rofl

Yeah, basically like 2 syringes. And if you add third syringe with spring behind it to the tube, you get some springing if both original syringes push in at the same time.

Racon:

I'm not saying that we should copy the exact suspension of 2cv. I'm trying to say, that the basic idea behind the 2cv suspension is good (interconnected springs), and that it's shame that modern manufacturers have forgotten about it, or think that it could only be made with overly complicated hydraulic or electronic systems. Even those hydraulic systems could be made in very cheap and simple way, with no pumps and water+glycol mix. British leyland used this very simple hydraulic version.

And here are some videos of 2cv racing, rather nice cornering with the 125mm wide tyres
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BA0nChmkeRI
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hAocmae9vyE
Attached images
hydraulic z-spring.png
Suggestion for using layouts: When race start, layout name should be displayed instead of just [X] or [Y] printed after the track name.

Also in the race start in upper left corner the text "Autocross layout 3 checkpoints" could be replaced just with plain layout name. IMO the hole word "autocross layout" should be replaced with "custom layout".

(would like also to remind people, this is "improvement suggestions log" thread, not chat thread)
-
(PusicDrift) DELETED by PusicDrift
It would be nice to have more realistic collisions when having a wheel to wheel contact on formula cars. In the real world, a car that is coming from behind and hit another tire is sort of propelled in the air which is certainly spectacular, but also encourages drivers to be more careful knowing the risk of an eventual contact. That would certainly add some suspense for close racing.
I'd like to give my opinion about improvements.

1st: Improve internet connection. I don't know why, but the cars has strange movements on track when on internet.

2nd: Improve Cameras and TV generation to help the leagues to show LFS better on stremming.

3rd: Make the traks (circuits) alive. On the trail that the cars are using get better grip, out of that dirt tires, bad grip. The same on wet track.

4th: Don't care about new tracks or new cars. Let it to be done by the comunity. Help them with some editor, to the quality get a standard.

That was ideas for sim racing.

Now ideas for fun racing.

Make a Mod that mix some games in one. Street Rod (1989), NFS Underground (2003) and Bet and Race (2008).

You star the game with a few money, bet in some races (that others players run) make money to buy a car. With a car you can race like fast and furious to get more money and improve the car. The engine, tyres, gas, almost everthing has livetime.

If you like the idea and need more details, be free to contact me.

See you
Quote from FredPach :I'd like to give my opinion about improvements.

1st: Improve internet connection. I don't know why, but the cars has strange movements on track when on internet.

2nd: Improve Cameras and TV generation to help the leagues to show LFS better on stremming.

3rd: Make the traks (circuits) alive. On the trail that the cars are using get better grip, out of that dirt tires, bad grip. The same on wet track.

4th: Don't care about new tracks or new cars. Let it to be done by the comunity. Help them with some editor, to the quality get a standard.

That was ideas for sim racing.

Now ideas for fun racing.

Make a Mod that mix some games in one. Street Rod (1989), NFS Underground (2003) and Bet and Race (2008).

You star the game with a few money, bet in some races (that others players run) make money to buy a car. With a car you can race like fast and furious to get more money and improve the car. The engine, tyres, gas, almost everthing has livetime.

If you like the idea and need more details, be free to contact me.

See you

1st, might be your ISP issue.

2nd. +1! Editor for editing tv-cameras in server side ( at least )

3rd. I think that is sorta already on development, even if never mentioned directly.

4th. Kinda okay, but not ready for this.

5th. With few insim-modes, it is partially done. I think this mixes the opinions, some like them, some don't. For me, I am not sure, although I do like to see several different variations from exact car, for example, XR car, which has three official variations ( XR GT, XR GT Turbo and XR GTR ), and it even increases more with the list of (un)official LFS cars with restrictions. However, the list was created by community, as lacking new cars on updates, it will be permanent regardless of how many new cars will be released.
Quote from Skytrill :It would be nice to have more realistic collisions when having a wheel to wheel contact on formula cars. In the real world, a car that is coming from behind and hit another tire is sort of propelled in the air which is certainly spectacular, but also encourages drivers to be more careful knowing the risk of an eventual contact. That would certainly add some suspense for close racing.

LFS would become Flight Simulator, specially on fbm servers Tilt

+1 to this.
In-game FFB LUT mapping.
DRS for all (questionable) F1 cars.
While racing in VR, or even on a monitor, it's a bit weird having the information from the F9-12 keys being shown on a HUD outside of the car. It would be nice if we could stick a tablet/phone whatever screen on the dashboard (where we want it to be by choosing the X and Z coordinates ourselves) and having access to these telemetry there instead. We could cycle from these windows with a simple click between tyre temp, brake balance and whatnot.

update:

Some marbles building up around the track as races progress would be great. Aesthetically it would show the racing line but it would also be more slippery if you go out of it, making overtaking manoeuvres more realistic and challenging.

Ain't sure the developers are still reading this thread as there are over 800 posts by now and their hands are full already but still, might be worth a look in the future as to make LFS more realistic.
Disable autoclutch slipping when rolling faster than ~15 kph.
Separate throttle, brake and particularly clutch axis delinearity.
Quote from mosquitohater93 :Disable autoclutch slipping when rolling faster than ~15 kph.
Separate throttle, brake and particularly clutch axis delinearity.

the gas and brake is alredy sparated (you need just to select them to make them separated

+1 on this one Smile

Suggested improvements log [READ before making a new thread]
(872 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG