The online racing simulator
Thanks for explaining and caring.
thats no bug shannon.
thats a feature.
i always wanted to say this

what happens is that lfs automatically loads the color/skin profile saved with same name as AI.
I use this a lot and so do others. This way i can garatee for example my PopeJP2 ai always uses his skin automatically etc etc.
So whats happenning there is that u must have 1 ,2 ,3 ,4 as color profiles saved also. Which are profiles saved with those skins selected.
Understood?
Hope so
Don't the files need to have the exact same name as the AI?
like AI1.col
U15 Update
thanks, ill try it now!
Thanks!
just curious scawen, but as im looking around in this new patch (i like the new times, of local and UTC) but, well im curious what you mean by "Restricted areas and route checkers added to autocross"
-edit, nevermind, i just tested to see what it does

2nd still stands:

also, i dont exactly know much about time, and as far as i can tell UTC is stands for universal time.. wouldn't it make more sense to have it say GMT rather than UTC?
Quote :Restricted areas and route checkers added to autocross

That could only mean that there is zones you can make in the editor where people should not drive. And also where people SHOULD be driving. I am gonna go try it out, sounds cool

And showing both the local time and UTC time is very nice. Helpful for leagues :up:
With patch U15 only U15 hosts get displayed on the server list
Question about the editor's marshall features now...

The route checker is cool but how exactly would it work? Do you have to place each route circle in order in the direction you drive? Maybe make each one numbered where you click it or something?

Because I am unsure exactly how they could help. Is there some kind of lap benchmark we can do so we can drive through each route circle to "SET" what order they are in?

(I guess this would need a spinoff)

EDIT: Now I see it, there is a "Route Index #". Ok cool
Quote from AndroidXP :With patch U15 only U15 hosts get displayed on the server list

Should be ok now (forgot to update the master server)
Quote from Tweaker :Question about the editor's marshall features now...

The route checker is cool but how exactly would it work? Do you have to place each route circle in order in the direction you drive? Maybe make each one numbered where you click it or something?

Because I am unsure exactly how they could help. Is there some kind of lap benchmark we can do so we can drive through each route circle to "SET" what order they are in?

(I guess this would need a spinoff)

EDIT: Now I see it, there is a "Route Index #". Ok cool

Restricted areas and route control :

In "marshall" mode you can place Marshall areas and Route checkers.

Marshall areas are shown by a red circle. If a car enters one of them
in single player, it will receive a 1 minute penalty. In multiplayer
mode, the player will be forced to spectate.

Route checkers are shown by a green circle. Each route checker has a
route index number which is shown near the top right of the screen
when a route checker is selected. Cars must pass through these route
checkers in the correct order, or they will receive a penalty or be
forced to spectate. The route index is automatically generated in the
order the route checkers are created. You can manually edit the route
index by clicking on the route index button.
something seems missing....

(check emails Scawen)
Clears it up now. I was just about to question the Restricted Area feature for layouts which do not have a Start arrow placed (which allows multiple starts on the grid). Singleplayer gave me a 1 min penalty, so I thought that was pointless. But if it forces you to spectate online, that is VERY VERY good because people take advantage of cutting some courses and ruining times. And even ruin the course for another person about to race. I guess Singleplayer-No-Start-Arrow layouts would be scored by total time to make the penalty effective.

Great new feature Scawen, this will improve online Autocrossing a bunch
maybe its made in china.
Now that you can put these marshall points on normal tracks, I'd imagine people making layouts to prevent people from cutting in online racing.

Now I think this could be the next step to a simple flag system. Rather than having it auto-punt them to spectate, in some cases you'd probably just want to give the person a black flag / stop-go penalty by having them pit. Could there be an option on what the action is? (Spectate or Pit Penalty).

It can all be very useful for typical track racing, I just think if players were forced to spectate in certain situations might ruin the nature of a race. And depending on the severity of the location where a person cuts, you can have it give the person a pit-penalty, or if it is dangerous for other racers, and insta-spectate is useful .
Quote from Tweaker :Now that you can put these marshall points on normal tracks, I'd imagine people making layouts to prevent people from cutting in online racing.

Now I think this could be the next step to a simple flag system. Rather than having it auto-punt them to spectate, in some cases you'd probably just want to give the person a black flag / stop-go penalty by having them pit. Could there be an option on what the action is? (Spectate or Pit Penalty).

It can all be very useful for typical track racing, I just think if players were forced to spectate in certain situations might ruin the nature of a race. And depending on the severity of the location where a person cuts, you can have it give the person a pit-penalty, or if it is dangerous for other racers, and insta-spectate is useful .

would you like to get a pit-penalty if somebody hits you and you "cut" the track?
I know, I thought about that too.... so in a way wouldn't a pit penalty be better than being spectated wouldn't it? Because if people start to make layouts for racing online, it could be good, but also bad.

I can only think of a few places on some tracks which are avoidable by accidental crashes and often used by 'idiots' that feel like racing wrecklessly. The feature serves a purpose in some ways, but also if people start to use this on normal tracks, it might get annoying.

I would recommend only having the feature on the two autocross environments for now, but some people make layouts on normal tracks (like stunt tracks), so I guess we have to look out for this stuff.
Quote from KiDCoDEa :Thanks for explaining and caring.
thats no bug shannon.
thats a feature.
i always wanted to say this

what happens is that lfs automatically loads the color/skin profile saved with same name as AI.
I use this a lot and so do others. This way i can garatee for example my PopeJP2 ai always uses his skin automatically etc etc.
So whats happenning there is that u must have 1 ,2 ,3 ,4 as color profiles saved also. Which are profiles saved with those skins selected.
Understood?
Hope so

Thanks for that explaination Kid you were right that was the problem, however I cannot ever remember saving the skins as 1.col, 2.col etc? Gremlins!. But all fixed now Thanks for taking the time to respond
Thanks for the update. Some really nice features - I quite like the UTC clock.

Just wondering, with the autocross updates, is it possible to have server-side adjustable penalties on a layout or would that be incompatible? Like making the cone hit penalty 5s instead of 2 and so on...

And another thing but this would probably be a bit more difficult - AFAIK, many real autocross events do not penalise someone for just hitting a cone but if the cone is knocked over then the penalty is given.
Joining issues
Hello,

I've found it's quite hard to join some servers from outside of LFS.

1) Server "ノマedline ノマacing " (the characters from codepage 932 will only show up here if you have an appropriate font installed). The problem here is not those characters, but the fact that the guys hosting this server have a demo server with the same name, and one of them has trailing spaces. This works fine through LFS, but trying to join this S2 server results in "host has a different game code" when trying to join with Browse For Speed or Join2LFS. I could never get it to work when joining specific server and entering those characters either - only by clicking the server from the ingame browser. I think LFS is trimming trailing spaces somewhere here...

2) Would it be possible to join (from /hostname) with characters from those code pages? Or do we have to give it the characters from latin-1 and ^J etc?

3) A server starting with a "/" is unjoinable through Join2LFS - LFS says parameter 1 is blank. Tried quoting/escaping.

I think the best solution to these problems is to support joining a server by giving the IP/Port, and possibly (though I don't believe necessary) the version - demo/s1/s2. At least, I think this is better than trying to code a work around for everything that can go wrong here.
Might not be the same thing.. But Ive seen this Driving Through objects in autocross mode a long time before these test patches, the same way Tweak suggested (without the Marshall bits), and it stays that way until a restart.
Quote from XCNuse :just curious scawen, but as im looking around in this new patch (i like the new times, of local and UTC) but, well im curious what you mean by "Restricted areas and route checkers added to autocross"
-edit, nevermind, i just tested to see what it does

2nd still stands:

also, i dont exactly know much about time, and as far as i can tell UTC is stands for universal time.. wouldn't it make more sense to have it say GMT rather than UTC?

XC, GMT = UTC . Its prolly best to use UTC because some brit's think that GMT = UK time, when actually it is +1 UTC in the summer, so it's prolly best to have it be in UTC to make them think a bit.

Also Scawen, I was thinking, and would there be a way to have an option to use UTC or Local time as the counter? Sorry if that request is slightly off topic, but I think it could be useful for people racing in leagues that are drastically off their time zones, so they are offline praccying, and can get where tehy need to be easier.
this sim is losing focus. this sim needs a vision, not cluttering temporary screens with clocks in several formats ffs.

visions need to be respected and shared. all i see lately is random flowers. not preety.

what makes utc more important than the ai pitting is what makes lfs small and not grand.

all the best for the next weeks, im gonna recharge my batteries somewhere else.
Somehow I doubt the devs are focusing on UTC. Rather foolish to say the sim is losing focus. bye.

Small things like these can be quickly done and released very quickly, for all you know they're working on everything you talk about as we speak. We're not going to get these big changes in U16 or whatever, but in the V,W,X etc patches. Don't be so impatient, show some support for crying out loud.
Quote from Burnzoire :show some support for crying out loud.

This thread is closed

Cleanup : Posts moved here after processing
(1871 posts, closed, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG