The online racing simulator
Quote from pearcy_2k7 :I couldn't really give two ****s anymore, it's their loss. The only people that have turned the community the way it is is them.

What way is the community? It's just the bunch of a few guys, including you that moan and bitch every now and then. Smarter people simply don't write, because it is worthless. However, I am not a smart person, so I'm wasting my time over a lost cause, because let's face it - moaners will moan.

If you don't care, why are you posting? <-- Not a rhetorical question, I really want to know, because this to me, is a mystery.
Quote from pearcy_2k7 :I couldn't really give two ****s anymore, it's their loss. The only people that have turned the community the way it is is them.

No, it's YOUR loss. No one is married to one-simulation. no one has made a binding contract that the sim will be updated left right and centre. Why do people create this weird relationship with a sim and it's developers. it's AINT marriage... it's a SIM.

Go have some fun with your life, and you will, like everyone else, be hailing how great the new physics are when they're released. no need to have some metaphorical divorce.
I´ve been racing LFS from the early days and I don´t think I will give up using it as long as there are still some good races every day. In my opinion Scawen will realize some day that he has made LFS too complex to be handled by just three people. He only has the choice to take some more people on board so he could further develop the tyre model (and the other things he wants to create) while the other people create things like new cars and tracks. I would advise Scawen to take a look at how things are going at linux development. Many people are developing linux, but only a few are steering the development process.
Face the facts, all the moaners love the game more than all the "fanbois" combined. It just dont show the same way: moaners moan - fanbois drive

No offence meant whatsoever! We are all here to have fun and enjoy this beautiful piece of art!

PS: I apologize for intentionally wasting space in this thread. DS
I really wonder if scawen is reading this
Quote from Ingolf :Face the facts, all the moaners love the game more than all the "fanbois" combined. It just dont show the same way: moaners moan - fanbois drive

No offence meant whatsoever! We are all here to have fun and enjoy this beautiful piece of art!

PS: I apologize for intentionally wasting space in this thread. DS

Please don't apologize. your comment had much more substance then most of the posts in here.
You got a point, we all love LFS that's why we pass by and drop a line and no matter how much we moan, it doesn't change a thing. The devs are maybe stubborn, but I like it that way. They're not making canned effects calling it simulations, instead they take risks and try new grounds since day one. The time invested for this patch was one of their biggest bet I presume, but it's going to pay off.
If the wait is too long, you can always play NKP or even rfactor. And if you reply that they suck, well maybe LFS isn't so outdated afterall.
@Skytrill
Quote : ...instead they take risks...

You hit the nail on the head with a big smack!
And we all see what "taking risks" do to people/clients . There can't be any progress unless you step out of the box and do just that! Take risks and get pounded. In the end - who will conquer the territory?

- Oh! Sorry, wasted some more pixels on this thread.... Now; back to driving.
Quote from Intrepid :No, it's YOUR loss. No one is married to one-simulation. no one has made a binding contract that the sim will be updated left right and centre. Why do people create this weird relationship with a sim and it's developers. it's AINT marriage... it's a SIM.

Go have some fun with your life, and you will, like everyone else, be hailing how great the new physics are when they're released. no need to have some metaphorical divorce.

Hehe I do find the idea that someone might have been refreshing the LFS homepage for over 2 years quite funny!

"Marriage"? "Divorce"? Come on, you're being as melodramatic as some of the people that are complaining
The only thing I find odd are the ones making "threats" that they'll leave LFS for good as if that might scare Scawen into hurrying things up. They clearly do not know LFS very well at all! I think you could prove that you were about to close down the whole interwebs permanently in 6months and it still wouldn't affect LFS development.

Still, I don't think it hurts to vent here, where else would you? It doesn't mean you give it more than a moment's thought once in a while, though.
itch to play lfs, but my pedals need to be fixed how i need them :scared:

/back to gt5 so i can get sick of that and lfs can be the hero again.
Quote from (The Stig) :Hi guys,

Well, not good at all. I agree with most of these posts but i'll continue to stay on here till its realeased but I will most proberly give up before then.

Heres the timeline:

1. LFS = No patch
2. LFS = No patch
3. LFS = Dead

Lets dissect your logic.

I will stay here until it's released.
But I will likely give up before it's released.

You have contradicted yourself in the same sentence. A truly enigmatic literary device, but I doubt its effectiveness in this situation.
Quote from dawesdust_12 :lets dissect your logic.

I will stay here until it's released.
But i will likely give up before it's released.

You have contradicted yourself in the same sentence. A truly enigmatic literary device, but i doubt its effectiveness in this situation.

th15 gam3 5uck5 !!!
this community sucks!

lol sorry for trolling but think about it when you read these posts : D
Ingolf:

By taking risk I meant taking their time to release something good. Though you might have figured that out already.
I don't think their purpose is to "conquer" the world as you intend, because that would be indeed, a very bad approach. It's about making the most credible driving simulation. That's why they're not teasing peoples with stuffs every month. It takes time to build something dynamic (uncanned) and realistic.
In February we can probably test thet new patch, so don't worry.
Quote from JPeace :Wtf where you get that from?

He just make things up.

Same as the "leaked" (photoshopped) pictures of an XFG on the Nordschleife. On which he insisted, that they were part of some deal he has arranged.
Quote from logitekg25 :.../back to gt5 so i can get sick of that and lfs can be the hero again.

+1 Imma do that too
@Skytrill,

Quote :By taking risk I meant taking their time to release something good.

Exactly - I think you missunderstud my messege. I mean, the devs need to take risks (as you mentioned) - even if it makes part of the community unhappy. I'm one of the happy ones. I appreciate them standing their ground and not fall for all the complaints. It show's they're strong and serious.
Thanks devs for the update.

I really hope 2011 is the year we get new physics and content. LFS is fantastic but like everything it needs new challenges and features. It's great you are spending time on the most important thing the tyre physics but hopefully there isn't too long left to get them good enough so time can be spent on other things to make the sim a better all round package.

I don't know what version you use but I imagine its with the improved physics so keep remembering we are still driving about on the old physics with the old content for a long long time.

I also know you don't like writing reports very often but that was a great read. Exactly the stuff I wanted to know, except I wished there was a rough idea on how far the physics were until complete. Just so we can expect months or years really.

Anyway keep up the good work and reports. Happy LFS user!
Sorry, but I don't buy it
Consider this. They lost their momentum at the time of the failed release of the Scirocco, most likely due to some unforseen last minute licensing problems I suspect. The best support for this is they already announced the release, but were forced to blow it off. One of their strongest assets, and I've always admired them for it, they only released (and announced) new functionality and content when it was truly finished and they were content themselves, and according to their own timeline. Never giving in to the outside forces of expectations or demand. Not only did they announced the release, they even demoed the car. Whatever the reason for the deal being lost, this was a real blow in the face and obviously a big big disappointment, as the release of the Scirocco would've been a very good pr and opportunity for further sponsored based spinoff. They got demotivated. The tyre physics serves as some scapegoat, trying to hold on to the loyal fanbase.

which is very patient and loyal, rightfully so. I think a better explanation (opposed to 'progress report') imho would be more sensible.
Quote from pepijnb :most likely due to some unforseen last minute licensing problems I suspect.

Hurr :3 I would NOT say that the Scirocco have anything to do with licensing. at all. If you've read anything about the Scirocco you would have know that it was because of some physics problems.

I think....
Quote from Guthix :Hurr :3 I would NOT say that the Scirocco have anything to do with licensing. at all. If you've read anything about the Scirocco you would have know that it was because of some physics problems.

I think....

I did, but I don't buy that either. I think they would've never made an announcement nor would they've demoed the car if that would've been the case.

The story just doesn't add up and the time passed since then, the inactivity and this with all respect for the physics lesson, thin 'progress' report doesn't make it any better.

And how would implementing a (at that time) new VW car in your race sim could be possible WITHOUT some form of licensing and quid pro quo do you think?

It's all speculation. And as all of us are, of course I'm a big fan of this software. But I just don't buy this story. And even when it is true. Development and communication is at an all time low which isn't a good sign.

We all want the same. That this fantastic simulator keeps very alive.
Quote from pepijnb :[..]
It's all speculation. And as all of us are, of course I'm a big fan of this software. But I just don't buy this story. And even when it is true. Development and communication is at an all time low which isn't a good sign.

We all want the same. That this fantastic simulator keeps very alive.

Where the hell did you get the idea that the development pace is slow?

No really, do you know how much it takes to make such a complex tyre model? How can you say it's slow, when you don't know what coding problems/challenges the developers are facing? No intentions on sounding rude or harsh, but it could just as easy be the other way around. The development pace could be very fast, but due to the fact that there are many experiments involved in this process, and much code goes to the waste every now and then, the results are being reached slowly. Yes, it may seem like development itself is slow, because of this, but I, for one, don't think it is. Heck, it took me more than 2 months to make some crappy page flipping animation in flash, and this is a simulation of a whole tyre.. On top of that - it's not being written in some high level language, that does most of the stuff for you.

And, no, I don't want the communication being more alive. I don't even think that the developers should write any more progress reports. Not, because I am not interested, no, I am interested in what's going on, but it is because the moaners won't(and they didn't) miss this occasion to go all supermario and tell the devs how they suck, and how their game is dying, and so on, and so on, and so on. If I was on the devs' place, I'd close the forum until the patch is done.

And tell me how is it dying, when right now(19:34 GMT+2), there are 1284 people online..

And this wasn't all pointed at you, pepijnb, but I was speaking more in general. Actually, most of it was general talk. (if that sentence made any sense)
I think this whole debate about a patch is being misdirected. Everybody is talking about waiting for the tire physics because it takes time, and they're right. But other cars, or tracks, could be developed while Scawen is working on the physics. The VW shouldn't need new physics to be released.

PS; LFS may not be dying, but it's very damn sick. Family has been notified. Funeral arrangments may be needed soon if it doesn't recover.
Quote from robubba :I think this whole debate about a patch is being misdirected. Everybody is talking about waiting for the tire physics because it takes time, and they're right. But other cars, or tracks, could be developed while Scawen is working on the physics. The VW shouldn't need new physics to be released.

PS; LFS may not be dying, but it's very damn sick. Family has been notified. Funeral arrangments may be needed soon if it doesn't recover.

What do you mean by dying? How can you state something is dying if you do not have any idea (which you don't) the intended goals of the developers?
He probably meant lfs is dying for users, devs can play Frankenstein as long as they want
For me lfs neither dead nor alive I might get some interest in it depending on the decision of devs or i might not.
For me 20 cars and 6 tracks is not enough, i cant imagine how are you people can play this for so much years i dont remember any game with so little content i played for this long its just beyond being monotonous.
Even if there will be 3 new tracks and 5 new cars (2015 probably )i still wont be able to play it for years.

The only thing I am still waiting are mods if there wont be mods soon then I am still wont be disappointed much.
I dont even play lfs anymore because if you want to amount anything in any online game you have to spend a lot of time unless you want to be mediocre player who never gets on top of the stats.
And i dont want to waste my time on game which get boring long time ago and have no future in my eyes as it is now.

Also word to those guys who are blessing devs at every post (btw i never seen so much vaseline never b4) you can bless devs as much as you want but you are the cancer that killing lfs
Because you are the ones who send message to devs that they can do nothing and still this is "the best game eva" but not only you encourage the devs to do nothing or nothing more than they absolutely have to or want to. You even silence anyone who dares to think otherwise, or just send them to play other games like lfs its for you only and others have no rights or voice here.
You halt lfs development most among all the users of this forum especially those users who joined in 2010 and yet they want to fit in this most noisy part of the community so they dare to whine that lfs doesnt need updates when they didnt even have time to get bored by it.

Also the argument that "devs didnt promise any updates" or that "its their project so they dont have to give you anything", its like saying thats devs did that game for themselves and or making money only and dont care for their users not a little bit.
Anyway why make game for someone who you dont even care about, only to make cash i guess.
Maybe at the beginning lfs was a hobby when devs listened to users and made this game with passion but now its doesnt look like this...
This thread is closed

Progress Report December 2010
(1653 posts, closed, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG