The online racing simulator
great arguments
Quote from dadge :@ZEN i understand theses two kids points of view and that's why i posted mine. how many times have you gone to a restaurant , ordered the soup and after that you go on to tell the chef that he needs a better menu with more on it.

I would suggest avoiding making analogies that are bad, but that's just my opinion.

You can't compare a restaurant to LFS. A restaurant is a business, LFS is a product.

Let me rephrase that analogy which would make it comparable.

Quote :
How many times have you gone to a restaurant, ordered the soup and after that you go on to tell the chef that he would benefit from adding a couple ingredients to make the soup better (or more to your taste) ?

Well, it really depends how often a week I go to the restaurant, whether I'm on a business trip or not, but I often tell the waiter to tell the chef that I enjoyed his dish but I would have appreciated it with a little more ginger, for example.
I do that A LOT for cocktails I order.

Call me posh if you want, but suggesting is the key driver to innovation. If everyone kept telling Coco Chanel "Cloths are meant to be this way and that's it so stfu", girls today would not be wearing miniskirts (can you imagine that, seriously ? I'd kill myself right away !)
Quote from JPeace :Mate, debate is fine, isn't that the point of forums? Go away.

Mate? Since when am I your mate? I'm not your mate?
Quote from rockclan :Mate? Since when am I your mate? I'm not your mate?

I'm not your mate, buddy !
Quote from Zen321 :I would suggest avoiding making analogies that are bad, but that's just my opinion.

You can't compare a restaurant to LFS. A restaurant is a business, LFS is a product.

Let me rephrase that analogy which would make it comparable.

Well, it really depends how often a week I go to the restaurant, whether I'm on a business trip or not, but I often tell the waiter to tell the chef that I enjoyed his dish but I would have appreciated it with a little more ginger, for example.
I do that A LOT for cocktails I order.

Call me posh if you want, but suggesting is the key driver to innovation. If everyone kept telling Coco Chanel "Cloths are meant to be this way and that's it so stfu", girls today would not be wearing miniskirts (can you imagine that, seriously ? I'd kill myself right away !)

you seem to have missed my point. even though i have posted it many times already. those two guys want more added to LFS. but they have done so little with the current content. i've asked them simple questions to see if they have tried out certain things in LFS. none of them answered. one of those guys has only ever done 6 online laps @ KY GP and 0 @ KY GP Rev. this is the same guy who said he's bored with LFS. this is just one example of their unwillingness to give the current content a proper chance.
in a restaurant, the food is the product. made by a small group of people. LFS is also a product. made by a small group of people.

EDIT: i deleted the first line of my post. thought you said apologising. my bad for skimming through :s
Quote from dadge :those two guys want more added to LFS. but they have done so little with the current content.

what if they like autocross and rally?
Quote from bunder9999 :what if they like autocross and rally?

the same guy has a total of 15 laps @ blackwood rally.
Quote from dadge :you seem to have missed my point. even though i have posted it many times already. those two guys want more added to LFS. but they have done so little with the current content. i've asked them simple questions to see if they have tried out certain things in LFS. none of them answered. one of those guys has only ever done 6 online laps @ KY GP and 0 @ KY GP Rev. this is the same guy who said he's bored with LFS. this is just one example of their unwillingness to give the current content a proper chance.
in a restaurant, the food is the product. made by a small group of people. LFS is also a product. made by a small group of people.

EDIT: i deleted the first line of my post. thought you said apologising. my bad for skimming through :s

Still, I don't see why it should be mandatory to explore the entire content to suggest something more than isn't in LFS yet.

For example, LFS doesn't have V8 road cars, nor does it have historic cars (not real brands, but similar to an old school alpine or DB5).
LFS neither has uphill races nor karting tracks. You don't need to play through the entire LFS to notice they aren't there, and that you may want it.

I am not sure if they detailed what they wanted, and I don't have time to check each of their posts. Perhaps they didn't mention exactly what they were looking after because they didn't want to get flamed.
If I ask for a road rally track akin to the Tour de Corse or some Japanese mountain road, I'm sure to get flamed as a ricerguy, so I don't mention that anymore. I just ask for more content.
i have nothing against asking for more content. but if you haven't even given the current content a proper chance, then why ask for more? come on, i mean, 0 laps at KY GP = no races at all on that track, in any car.
for me, the patch will not help this kind of user. they will end up claiming that the new patch is now boring and that more content would help rekindle interest.
the answers to my simple questions are:
how long a set of R3 tyres would last on a UFR @ Blackwood? about 60-75 laps depending on the driver and setup.
what gear should i be in for T4 on AS2 in an XFR? T4 is flat out in all cars. (it's a small track consisting of 2 hairpins and 2 chicanes). had they given the current content a proper chance, they would have been able to answer those two very simple questions with no hesitation imo.
Quote from dadge :the answers to my simple questions are:
how long a set of R3 tyres would last on a UFR @ Blackwood? about 60-75 laps depending on the driver and setup.
what gear should i be in for T4 on AS2 in an XFR? T4 is flat out in all cars. (it's a small track consisting of 2 hairpins and 2 chicanes). had they given the current content a proper chance, they would have been able to answer those two very simple questions with no hesitation imo.

i've done 426 laps on AS2 with the UFR and i don't even remember what gear i'm supposed to be in... i just get in the car and drive my ass off.
Quote from bunder9999 :i've done 426 laps on AS2 with the UFR and i don't even remember what gear i'm supposed to be in... i just get in the car and drive my ass off.

flat out then.
Quote from bunder9999 : i don't even remember what gear i'm supposed to be in... I just get in the car and drive my ass off.

+1
Quote from dadge :flat out then.

I don't think "flat out" is a gear, and T4 isn't flat out all the way through, only on exit. Also the correct answer is you shouldn't be in an XFR (or UFR as it magically changed to in bunder's answer) because it's a horrible car. A FOX or TBO is much more fun there. I'd say since T4 is pretty slow it's probably a 2nd gear corner for most cars with reasonable setups but driving is more about feel and instinct than memory so that's a silly question.

Though I agree with you on your other stuff, I've driven quite a lot of combos and can still find ways to have fun. It's a bit annoying when people who haven't done half or even a quarter [edit: haha guess I was being conservative with 1/2 and 1/4, it's more like 1/15th ] as much moan about "old content". In the end it doesn't matter because I'm sure a lot of us who have driven tons of combos want another 'S' worth of new content, I know I do. What's it matter if a few people who have to claim they've done offline "racing" want new content?
Quote :...but if you haven't even given the current content a proper chance, then why ask for more?

Sadly this tend to be the human nature. Buy a burger and ask for extra fries before you could even swallow the meat.

It is everywhere... get more, get more... dont use what is already there.... just get more... lol.

I myself has plenty to do with LFS at this stage. I need to develop a lot more on the fast tracks and faster cars... It is in my opinion too much to handle before the other patch comes out, so I hope it takes a long time...
Quote from pik_d :I don't think "flat out" is a gear, and T4 isn't flat out all the way through, only on exit. Also the correct answer is you shouldn't be in an XFR (or UFR as it magically changed to in bunder's answer) because it's a horrible car. A FOX or TBO is much more fun there. I'd say since T4 is pretty slow it's probably a 2nd gear corner for most cars with reasonable setups but driving is more about feel and instinct than memory so that's a silly question.

Though I agree with you on your other stuff, I've driven quite a lot of combos and can still find ways to have fun. It's a bit annoying when people who haven't done half or even a quarter [edit: haha guess I was being conservative with 1/2 and 1/4, it's more like 1/15th ] as much moan about "old content". In the end it doesn't matter because I'm sure a lot of us who have driven tons of combos want another 'S' worth of new content, I know I do. What's it matter if a few people who have to claim they've done offline "racing" want new content?

T4 is the entry to the flat out chicane dude. and it's always been flat out in the XFR and any other car i've driven there.
T1 is the hairpin. T2 and T3 are the first chicane. T4 and T5 are the flat out chicane. T6 and T7 are the last hairpin and exit. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ikFKYAF_hsc
AFIK, flat out usually means "top gear". writing flatout saved me for listing each car and their top gear.
Quote from dadge :T4 is the entry to the flat out chicane dude. and it's always been flat out in the XFR and any other car i've driven there.
T1 is the hairpin. T2 and T3 are the first chicane. T4 and T5 are the flat out chicane. T6 and T7 are the last hairpin and exit. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ikFKYAF_hsc
AFIK, flat out usually means "top gear". writing flatout saved me for listing each car and their top gear.

I was going by whats up on LFS Manual: http://en.lfsmanual.net/wiki/Tracks:Aston#Club. I'm sorry but AS2 does not have 7 turns.
Quote from dadge :i suppose it's all down to how many corners are in a chicane. i always thought it was 2.

Two (or more) apexes in a chicane, I'll agree, but it's much easier (for numbering) to say "a chicane is a type of turn which contains two (or more) apexes on the opposite sides of the track" and just call them T2 an T3, and the final turn T4.
Quote from pik_d :Two (or more) apexes in a chicane, I'll agree, but it's much easier (for numbering) to say "a chicane is a type of turn which contains two (or more) apexes on the opposite sides of the track" and just call them T2 an T3, and the final turn T4.

i just go by what most other motorsport fans would call it. the most common would be Martin Brundle during his track guides in the F1. how busy does your day have to be that you have to reduce 2 turns into one turn when there's visibly 2 turns? i've always called the first chicane at AS2 "T2&3". i've always thought AS2 had 8 turns (final hairpin being T7 and the left turn immediately on the exit of T7 leading onto the start/finish). don't know why i've never counted the slight right at the start.
I just realized I have driven in every single track of LFS, except for Aston Grand Prix Reverse lol
Quote from dadge :i just go by what most other motorsport fans would call it. the most common would be Martin Brundle during his track guides in the F1. how busy does your day have to be that you have to reduce 2 turns into one turn when there's visibly 2 turns? i've always called the first chicane at AS2 "T2&3". i've always thought AS2 had 8 turns (final hairpin being T7 and the left turn immediately on the exit of T7 leading onto the start/finish). don't know why i've never counted the slight right at the start.

So the first real turn is T1, the first fast chicane is T2 and T3, then the second fast chicane is T4 and T5, T6 is... that bend leading up to T7? That's as much of a turn as the two minor bends before the real T1.

If you want to claim that AS2 has 8 turns then how many does AS6 have? 40? This is what I mean when I say it's easier to label a chicane as "T2" in its entirety. Watching a lap of XFR/AS2 (WR lap) I count 12 distinct apexes (there are two on the bend before the final hairpin). I suppose at some point it's all objective unless you define a full set of all-encompassing rules. One mans turn is another mans minor kink/bend that doesn't need a number.
we only need to establish where T4 is. anything after that is not relevant.
This thread is closed

Progress Report December 2010
(1653 posts, closed, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG