The online racing simulator
Quote from rc10racer :I remember Scawen saying that he was doing the UF1 interior to build up his skills at working with the editor.

Actually, if I recall correctly.. Scawen modelled the UF1 entirely, and I think there might be one other car as well that he did too.
Quote from Intrepid :What the devs earn, and how they then choose to invest their money and time has absolutely nothing to do with you.

it has everything to do with you and me since we are both (hang on a sec wasnt there something about your account not even being yours?) customers and thus the people who they earn money from

Quote :it's downright disrespectful

its a funny and fascinating world you live in... too bad it only exists in your head
Quote from Amynue :Victor should make a video of Scirocco with new tyre at Rockingham using his LFS Record. That would visualise Dec 2010 Progress Report

Yet another REALLY good post from Amynue.

+1 Btw
Quote from Amynue :Victor should make a video of Scirocco with new tyre at Rockingham using his LFS Record. That would visualise Dec 2010 Progress Report

I had a think about why they haven't done this.
Any videos or screenies would render all fanboys (and maybe some fanboys posing as moaners) moist as hell. Seems like a no brainer.

The only reason I could come up with as to why they haven't, is this:
  • A secret overhaul of graphics is in progress.
Quote from farcar :I had a think about why they haven't done this.
Any videos or screenies would render all fanboys (and maybe some fanboys posing as moaners) moist as hell. Seems like a no brainer.

• A secret overhaul of graphics progress.

No ****ing way.
No, please do not... you did not ... oh ****... the rumor mill is on :scared:
Quote from Intrepid :If Pearl Jam had more members maybe they could release a new album every 2 weeks too. So what? More releases aren't a sign of life or quality.

How anyone can say LFS is failing I do not know. Unless you speak to the developers themselves you can't possibly know their aspirations and goals for the sim. Anything can be 'failing' once you stick on your own expectations, but that's irrelevant, especially when you come from a point of zero experience.

Comparing music to software is just plain wrong as the two are totally separate.

But what they do have in common is becoming dinosaurs of another time thought about with fond memories of good times and the fans waiting for the "best of" to come out.
#534 - e.M
Quote from farcar :I had a think about why they haven't done this.

• A secret overhaul of graphics is in progress.

here's another reason, there is no difference in tyre physics visually and we already seen scirocco in action with screenies of rock.
Quote from Scawen :Eric has been working on some more S3 content but he would like to get nearer to finishing before we show any new pictures.

- LFS Developers

Nope here is the reason why they didnt show us any pics.
Quote from Be2K :Nope here is the reason why they didnt show us any pics.

But what is the content of that... erm... content?
That is the squilleventy million dollar question.

Revamped graphics, I speculate!
#537 - e.M
well only revamped graphics could be new interiors to all cars, new number plates, new wheels and maybe tracks with new textures.
hell in my mind it sounded alot less, i would be totally happy with that
Quote from Shotglass :it has everything to do with you and me since we are both (hang on a sec wasnt there something about your account not even being yours?) customers and thus the people who they earn money from

No, it really has nothing to do with you how they spend and invest their time and money once the transaction has taken place. Zero, 0, zilch, nowt!

You're confusing consumption with investment.

And if you do think it's 'your business', which it isn't, sue them! See how far you (don't) get!
Quote from e.M :well only revamped graphics could be new interiors to all cars...

The new interiors were "near complete" in mid 2008, at least for the FX's and FZ's. It's 2011 now, so I guess someone who shouldn't be bothered with questions must revamp the revamped at some point in this decade.
Quote from Intrepid :No, it really has nothing to do with you how they spend and invest their time and money once the transaction has taken place. Zero, 0, zilch, nowt!

You're confusing consumption with investment.

And if you do think it's 'your business', which it isn't, sue them! See how far you (don't) get!

still being braindead i see
in case you havent noticed a lot of people have voiced that they would have upgraded to s3 in a heartbeat some years ago but with the lack of communication and lack of upgrades for years theyll have to seriously consider if they want to give them more money
as long as lfs hasnt arrived at its highest tier were all still potential customers... well not you since you never even paid for your right to drive s2 cars
Quote from Shotglass :
in case you havent noticed a lot of people have voiced that they would have upgraded to s3 in a heartbeat some years ago but with the lack of communication and lack of upgrades for years theyll have to seriously consider if they want to give them more money

i didn't notice this. could you please provide a link where most people have stated this?
the closest i found was people saying they would buy S3 in a heartbeat. but the rest is just pork pies m8.
W00t. My first posting after... um... a whole lotta years of silent membership.
Quote from Scawen :We hope you have had a good year.

Yep, quite. Thanks!
Quote from Scawen :It has proved to be a challenging and unpredictable project, involving a lot of studying, mathematics, testing and rewriting.

Personally, I can't really believe this tire thing has kept you guys busy full time for the better part of at least two years. There's gotta be something else in the background you're working on but not letting us know about. That of course is your prerogative, and I don't blame you for - I strongly suspect - trying to earn money with other projects. From a marketing point of view it might not be wise to actually admit that LFS might not be the major working focus, but then again this isn't your average gaming community, either. We do (well, at least I do) appreciate honest reports that tell it like it is.
Quote from Scawen :One thing tends to lead to another and for a while it seems that the more you learn about tyres, the more you realise that there is so much more to find out!

Others have said it already: There's gotta be a point somewhere down the development road where the urge for a perfect product is counter-productive. You guys are incredibly talented, no doubt. But you won't be able to simulate real tires a 100% realistic. Remember the good old 80/20 rule? Getting it 80% right will satisfy most people perfectly, and for the 20% rest to achieve perfection you've got to invest so much time that it hurts. Almost physically. Do try to find a balance, I think there will be many, many people who'll love you for it. Anyway, your updates are much appreciated.
I just tell the devs to go watch Urban Terror's example. Made from Quake 3 code, the dev team has been developing it more than 7 years. Recently they recruited some new members to their dev them, to help in specific situations. Alpha tests are being released very often for their new version coming out, because everyoen can test them, and they are quickly fixed. Everyone of the devs is volunteer. I'm not sure that Scavier think they are the perfect team, but the chance of that being true is very slim. Opening themselves to other people, would prove that they could hire, or get help from volunteers, that prove a as good or even better fit for the team, not only skillwise but as persons and friends. Just as each of Scavier met the other two, so can they more people as good, and with potential to be as close as them.

I find it nothing more than shyness / stubborness and a close minded view of reality to not accept other people's help, and get some volunteers working for LFS.

Anyway, it seems the chance of that happening are very slim, so i'll rest my presence in here for a while, also since that sentence "this thread is going to be here a long time" said most of what is needed to hear for the progress of LFS in the future.
Quote from dadge :i didn't notice this. could you please provide a link where most people have stated this?
the closest i found was people saying they would buy S3 in a heartbeat. but the rest is just pork pies m8.

too lazy to search but quite a few people have said something to that effect
on top of that there is the by now gigantic silent majority of people who used to play lfs on a daily basis and now hardly even look at the forumd or the irc channel anymore
Quote from Shotglass :too lazy to search but quite a few people have said something to that effect
on top of that there is the by now gigantic silent majority of people who used to play lfs on a daily basis and now hardly even look at the forumd or the irc channel anymore

link or it's bullshit. sorry dude, i don't make the rules.
Quote from dadge :link or it's bullshit. sorry dude, i don't make the rules.

Are you expecting a link to "a lot of people saying they wouldn't upgrade to S3 anymore"?

But if it matters, I'd say that I propably wouldn't upgrade to S3 if it was released tomorrow. There are so many other projects that actually have a future to spend money on that S3 seems like a bad investment.

Vain
Quote from Vain :Are you expecting a link to "a lot of people saying they wouldn't upgrade to S3 anymore"?

But if it matters, I'd say that I propably wouldn't upgrade to S3 if it was released tomorrow. There are so many other projects that actually have a future to spend money on that S3 seems like a bad investment.

Vain

no but i'm expecting him to at least back his statement up with a couple of examples. simply because it's easy to bullshit, but it's harder to back it up when asked. and then to say "i'm too lazy" when asked to provide some further info on the BS shows everyone just how much truth there actually was in his statement.

if S3 were to be released tomorrow, i'd buy it. there, now the balance has been reset. and lets be honest here, are you telling me that you wouldn't spend another £12 for S3 if only to satisfy your curiosity? there's that smell again...
Quote from dadge :there's that smell again...

Are you suggesting I'm being dishonest? If so, please do so in clear words. If not, don't imply it.

About your question:
Yes, I wouldn't buy S3 because I don't think that there's going to be a whole lot more content-updates after the next release. And of course I would be able to use the physics updates with my S2 license.

I feel I'm dragging this offtopic, so I'll stop it at this point.

Vain
Quote from Vain :Are you suggesting I'm being dishonest? If so, please do so in clear words. If not, don't imply it.

i didn't say you are being dishonest. i said there was a hint of BS in your post. and i guess only time will tell. now remember, if you buy S3, i win
see you on the S3 server! oh no, wait...
great youve just accused someone of being a liar for no reason and based on nothing
well done...

why do i even bother with these idiots?
This thread is closed

Progress Report December 2010
(1653 posts, closed, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG