The online racing simulator
Hmm, since you guys didn't seem to know what I was talking about I went and did a few tests in the XFG with open difs and sure enough, the skidding sounds don't occur. So it was due to the setups having a closed diff after all, like you said
Quote from cmanns :It's due to the contact patch of the tire, wide tires will cause scrub

I'm glad you cleared things up chap. That should be a given but it is also caused by the forces in between each tire. Also the geometry of the front end.

Quote from obsolum :Hmm, since you guys didn't seem to know what I was talking about I went and did a few tests in the XFG with open difs and sure enough, the skidding sounds don't occur. So it was due to the setups having a closed diff after all, like you said

Try 100% parallel steer vs 0% parallel steer with open diff.
I wonder what dirt will be like. Right now it affects the whole tire which is somewhat not nice. I hope it will be more dynamic.
Quote from Lible :I wonder what dirt will be like. Right now it affects the whole tire which is somewhat not nice. I hope it will be more dynamic.

I can hardly imagine that making much of a difference, really. I don't think it's even possible to do that if the tyre model stays relatively similar to the current one - having only one actual contact point on the road. I believe right now the tyre doesn't even collect dirt unless you're on the dirt with the middle tyre section (> 50% of the tyre width is on dirt), and by that point you really might as well have the dirt act over the whole tyre width.

That said, you do know that the dirt indicator only affects the whole tyre width, not the whole tyre circumference, do you?
Quote from AndroidXP :That said, you do know that the dirt indicator only affects the whole tyre width, not the whole tyre circumference, do you?

Are you sure about that? The temperature indicators and labels show the temps of the active sampling point, wouldn't the dirt indicator be the same if it weren't over the whole circumference?
Pretty sure it's a simple grip malus taken into the equation every physics step, regardless of whether the individual sampling points are dirty or not
-
(ussbeethoven) DELETED by ussbeethoven
Quote from morpha :Are you sure about that?

I'm 100% sure.

The dirt indicator affects all three pads of the current tyre section (because there's only one contact point on the tyre and thus not enough information as to which pads were on the dirt), but each of the 16 tyre sections has an own dirt indicator.

I can see how this is not easy to recognise, since it rarely happens that you pick up dirt with less than a whole tyre circumference, but as ussbeethoven pointed out, you can scrub off the dirt of a few tyre sections by locking up your tyres. After you slowly start rolling again, you will see the dirt indicator jump up and down depending on which section is shown.
Quote from legoflamb :I'm glad you cleared things up chap. That should be a given but it is also caused by the forces in between each tire. Also the geometry of the front end.

Try 100% parallel steer vs 0% parallel steer with open diff.

You're from california and say chap? I feel like I don't know my area

and yes it's affected by various things, I'd say big sidewalled tires also cherp on slow turning none of my rx7s ever would cherp in parking lots.
Quote from the_angry_angel :Yes, although that was pre-S2-content if I remember correctly.

For the record sldwayz has earned an infraction. I've seen a few posts from him recently that just read as nothing but trolling.

I'm not saying that you have to toe the official LFS is awesome line to post here, sldwayz just generally does post in a style that provokes arguments

just passing by but
i cant believe what i read there.

i hope u gave 'infraction" to people insulting (ban ban shut up shut up etc... ) him as an answer....

If people can insult him without being worried, then he definitely can post what he did without being worried. The fact is that his post was no attack, but answer he got were.
Moderation on this forum should be much more consistent, and fair. Now it is kindergarten.

distressing.
Quote from cmanns :You're from california and say chap? I feel like I don't know my area

and yes it's affected by various things, I'd say big sidewalled tires also cherp on slow turning none of my rx7s ever would cherp in parking lots.

Yeah "chap" only the cool kids say it. You know the kids that read books, go to comic-con, and play D&D in our mum's basement.

I have said that it was most common in the larger SUV type vehicles. Also most cars don't have 0% Ackerman-steering. That would be hard to test in your car unless the car had different steering rod mounting positions.
Quote from legoflamb :Yeah "chap" only the cool kids say it. You know the kids that read books, go to comic-con, and play D&D in our mum's basement.

I have said that it was most common in the larger SUV type vehicles. Also most cars don't have 0% Ackerman-steering. That would be hard to test in your car unless the car had different steering rod mounting positions.

Why test? You only have to look:
Attached images
noacker.jpg
acker.jpg
It's great we've finally got a progress report and some promising developments.

I guess now we just have to wait. Hopefully not too long. Another 9 months between announcements might just kill off too many fanboys.
Hopefully the new physics will prove to be a great leveller. When everybody has to adapt, those who have been racing for a long time will no longer be at an advantage.
Quote from bbman :Why test? You only have to look:

It would be best to test those settings on a car to see or hear the difference. I know what Ackerman looks like and what it does. But in order to see if the tires make a chirping sound at 100% parallel one would have to test it.

Quote from Macfox :It's great we've finally got a progress report and some promising developments.

I guess now we just have to wait. Hopefully not too long. Another 9 months between announcements might just kill off too many fanboys.

If the "fan boys" leave then they wern't really fan boys.

Quote from 5haz :Hopefully the new physics will prove to be a great leveller. When everybody has to adapt, those who have been racing for a long time will no longer be at an advantage.

The physics update is not to be a leveler to disrupt any advantage. It is meant to get the Sirocco to perform as it is supposed to. As a matter of fact I think all the great hotlapers will just adapt and rise to the top again if they are willing to put as much devotion to it as that had in the old physics
Quote from 5haz :Hopefully the new physics will prove to be a great leveller. When everybody has to adapt, those who have been racing for a long time will no longer be at an advantage.

Don't count on that. Even with the changed physics the basic principals of driving fast and winning races will stay the same.
Quote from legoflamb :The physics update is not to be a leveler to disrupt any advantage. It is meant to get the Sirocco to perform as it is supposed to. As a matter of fact I think all the great hotlapers will just adapt and rise to the top again if they are willing to put as much devotion to it as that had in the old physics

I know thats not what its intended for, but it may be a side effect of new physics.

Quote from geeman1 :Don't count on that. Even with the changed physics the basic principals of driving fast and winning races will stay the same.

T'is true, but I still think it may take some time to adjust, and I'm sure there wil be a few idiots who complain, there always is when the devs make large improvements and changes.
Quote from 5haz :
T'is true, but I still think it may take some time to adjust, and I'm sure there wil be a few idiots who complain, there always is when the devs make large improvements and changes.

Heh That is part of the fun of physics updates in LFS
Quote from legoflamb :Heh That is part of the fun of physics updates in LFS

That's what i love about LFS, you can never really "fall behind" if you stay away from LFS for a while. Because all the known glitches that give the aliens an advantage, will be wiped off due to a physics update. But always create new hidden advantages that let the aliens take their form again, but it takes time. Who's fast, is always fast, but who's an alien might lose it due to a patch (for a while). Driving is driving, if you can do it, you can do it _eventually_ under any given conditions. Hell, different brands of tyres have different physical properties that make them different to drive, but they're still tyres. Scawen is not inventing a hovercraft, he's giving us new tyres.
I don't know if it is mentioned before, but the new physics include new suspension physics?
Quote from Napalm Candy :I don't know if it is mentioned before, but the new physics include new suspension physics?

No, I don't think that has been mentioned anywhere. I don't think there is anything inherently wrong with the suspension physics although there are suspension types that are not modeled and not used and things like chassis stiffness isn't modeled.
Few days ago I have made a topic with a fail in rear suspension. So I think the operation of suspension is too simple in LFS.

I asked it because the scirocco, and the intend to give the most realistic simulation and feeling
No idea. IIRC Scirocco has a suspension type that is not yet modeled in LFS. Could be that the devs have added that type.
In the postponement post, Scawen wrote "We plan to fix the bugs and continue developing the Scirocco suspension and electronic control systems, to give you a good patch early in 2009."

It was a plan, though, so nothing is confirmed.
Quote from Napalm Candy :Few days ago I have made a topic with a fail in rear suspension. So I think the operation of suspension is too simple in LFS.

I asked it because the scirocco, and the intend to give the most realistic simulation and feeling

Was that the going backwards and e-brake thing? If so, I thought it was shown pretty conclusively in that thread that it wasn't a LFS fail.

Anyway, if the Scirocco has a type of rear suspension that LFS does not model, then yeah, I would suspect that it would be included. But that really isn't suspension physics, that's suspension type.
Sorry if it are not the better words, but my vocabulary in english is very limited. I have to add a signature saying something like "Feel free to correct any spelling or grammar mistake, I am still learning"
Quote from Hallen :Was that the going backwards and e-brake thing? If so, I thought it was shown pretty conclusively in that thread that it wasn't a LFS fail.

Really? That's not what I got from reading that thread If the cars in LFS don't behave as they're supposed to when applying the e-brake, then surely it is LFS' fault? Or am I missing something?
This thread is closed

New Tyre Physics (work in progress)
(1075 posts, closed, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG