The online racing simulator
Ive been around LFS since the very first demo and each successive physics update improved the game IMO as I was always most interested in the racing and managing the fuel and tyres etc.

Ive gone away from LFS in the last year because of lack of updates and have been focusing on rFactor in the FSR World Championship league. Only problem with FSR is the lack of pickup races (none) Since getting my G25 I came back to LFS for a bit pickup racing and absolutely loved battling with 30 guys on the fox junkies server. Great for honing wheel to wheel skills. That is the core strength of LFS. Ive never driven an online sim with such close clean, competetive pickup races with the same amount of drivers. Thats the thing that will keep me as a customer.

FWIW I dont think working for months on a physics only update is a good idea, I think Scawen should spend longer creating or chasing some more licensed content (cars and tracks) and incorporate the new physics all together in an S3 that is another pay update.
So how do I get my hands on the new physics update, I havn't been on LFS.net for a while.
By bothering to read the first post in this thread or lfs.net more carefully.
Quote from GTJames :So how do I get my hands on the new physics update, I havn't been on LFS.net for a while.

It's not out yet, you have to wait and then you can download it on the lfs site as you would with any other new patch.
Yep thought I'd get that reaction cheers. Just wanted check first
Quote from ScoobRX :It's not out yet, you have to wait and then you can download it on the lfs site as you would with any other new patch.

...or use the auto-download online
Just a thought i was thinking. Shoud the community here hold a vote here for what they are after in LFS?

I know theres 1000's of threads saying improvements and what people want, but the shit that comes out of those threads sometimes, makes me think would the developers really look at them?

I was thinking someone well known in the community or a moderator hold a thread on the General LFS discussion forum with a poll. If possible to ban posts in the thread, if not, whatever.

Make it official or something, maybe it will show the devs an idea of what people are after, using stats, rather then winging and ranting. Something maybe like..

What are you after in the upcomming LFS releases?
OR
What is most important to you in a simulation?
OR
Something along the lines of them..

-Tracks
-Cars
-Physics
-Graphics
-Features
-RL realism (pit crews/damage) etc
-and so on.

Maybe we might see something different rather then just winging about new content. Maybe we might see what the community really wants, and just maybe the developers may note that poll, and think, lets focus on this now after our checklist etc.

Maybe too, we need 100 disclaimers and warnings in the post too, because as IMO its a brilliant idea, i know the thread itself wont end up well.

What do you all think? Im talking more to the older LFS users (not age). But this poll should be for everyone.
You must understand that "what the community wants" is by no means any guideline to what ScaViEr do next. Sometimes the voices are heard and the most whined about features get implemented (remember skidmarks, anyone? ), but making a poll is completely useless. LFS isn't a democracy, you know? The whole reason the devs started all this is because they wanted to be their own bosses and not have to adhere to time schedules or demands someone else makes, be it a manager or the community.
You've missed the point, I agree with your post but it has nothing to do with that, just a statistic for the devs to see what the community is after. Absolutely nothing to do with democracy or us being in charge.

It maybe isn't a good idea, just came in to my head, thought it MAY be useful, but it may not be too.
lfs is so good that it needn't any update IMO.
I'm glad Scawen has a different opinion.
aoun, that poll would be useless. The result would be always tuning (modable cars), HD graphics, 10k real tracks, etc
Quote from Whiskey :aon, that poll would be useless. The result would be always tuning (modable cars), HD graphics, 10k real tracks, etc

NO!

15 real tracks, 20 real cars, better environment physics and that's it.
Quote from PioneerLv :NO!

15 real tracks, 20 real cars, better environment physics and that's it.

I don't think you fully understand how much work would that be for a team like Scavier.
Quote from aoun :You've missed the point, I agree with your post but it has nothing to do with that, just a statistic for the devs to see what the community is after. Absolutely nothing to do with democracy or us being in charge.

It maybe isn't a good idea, just came in to my head, thought it MAY be useful, but it may not be too.

The forum would be a biased sample.
Quote from marsaz :I don't think you fully understand how much work would that be for a team like Scavier.

Okay, yes, my bad. Sorry for such a high requirements.
I don't think it's that much work (well, Eric can model and texture pretty fast if you ask me... you don't obviously). Before you flame me, you (and I) don't know how fast VWS model was created. Anyway....

More content isn't going bring LFS to life, Scirrocco, or whatever is it spelled, will bore everyone after month or two.

What we need is what we were told to be done by S2 Final.
Most of the physics done and that is brake fade/damage (overheating), proper engine damage, proper damage for body work etc.

Anything like that would bring much more life to LFS then any content, be it a real life track or car. Those things don't matter at this point (cars or tracks).
What we need is proper simulation of mechanics of a car/formula/etc. amd of we're patient enough, maybe we'll get to that point.

Thank you for reading,
"Fanboy"

Edit: I'm sorry, my post might be little confusing, I'm little bit drunk atm :\
I was wondering if they're gonna include the new VW Scirocco diesel... it's explosive!
Quote from BlackEye :I don't think it's that much work (well, Eric can model and texture pretty fast if you ask me... you don't obviously). Before you flame me, you (and I) don't know how fast VWS model was created. Anyway....

More content isn't going bring LFS to life, Scirrocco, or whatever is it spelled, will bore everyone after month or two.

What we need is what we were told to be done by S2 Final.
Most of the physics done and that is brake fade/damage (overheating), proper engine damage, proper damage for body work etc.

Anything like that would bring much more life to LFS then any content, be it a real life track or car. Those things don't matter at this point (cars or tracks).
What we need is proper simulation of mechanics of a car/formula/etc. amd of we're patient enough, maybe we'll get to that point.

Thank you for reading,
"Fanboy"

Edit: I'm sorry, my post might be little confusing, I'm little bit drunk atm :\

Totally disagree about the tracks. LFS is sooooo lacking in that department. and the curbs you have to hop at fern bay ridiculous. "proper" engine and brake wear i dont think will revitalize LFS nor will a new damage model for the cars if its all done on the same old tracks... 6 tracks/enviroments..cmon
A new track would be great, but 15...? Come on. That would be time consuming and at the moment there are more important things to do. Remember this is 3 guys working on it not 300.
I like how seriously they take adding real cars to LFS. The Scirroco is a good example. Comparing real data to LFS physics environment and then fixing stuff that isn't right. Way to go
Quote from marsaz :A new track would be great, but 15...? Come on. That would be time consuming and at the moment there are more important things to do. Remember this is 3 guys working on it not 300.

Given that Scawen does the coding and Eric does the art (which I believe includes tracks and car models) it's not as if fixing coding bugs takes time away from creating new tracks. We know Eric is doing small updates on the cars (From LFS Viewer 6A), and that he is at some stage in the process of redoing the remaining interiors (UF1/R, FZR, etc). In the grand scheme of all that he has created that doesn't seem like a whole lot, I'm sure he's doing other stuff and like some guys above me I hope that includes some new environments.
-
(carey) DELETED by carey
Great news ....but how does the update thing work
im a noobie
Quote from optimizer2 :Great news ....but how does the update thing work
im a noobie

Pretty basic really: you wait till it's released, then you download and install it.
Would be funny if you wait almost one year for update, and all what you get in LFS update is new ramp for Blackwood. (P.S. The new ramp is exactly same as white one. The new one is coloured as Red)
This thread is closed

New Tyre Physics (work in progress)
(1075 posts, closed, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG