The online racing simulator
I would just like to say thankyou for letting us know what has been going on in terms of lfs development. I appreciate the update and can't wait for the day a test goes live. (Really excited to try the new physics as all car's will be different to drive)

Alric.
Quote from The Very End :Sorry, but no
Just make a setup with hard susb. , road tyres and max angle lock on the wheels, should be easy to drift then.
Implenting things as drift tyres would be the oposit thing of what should be done, the first line is racing, then when S3 is out then can start thinking of new alternative racing and utilities.

because of the overhaul physics this is possible because as we all know, the best/cheapest drift tyres are smaller tyres wrapped around a bigger wheel, but this also means in lfs terms " tyres will blow up within 2 seconds unless you have full progression via a wheel /w sensitive pedals "

but like i said, try to do anything like that in lfs - it will burst into flames.
Sometimes the things drifters say make my left nut itch =(
Quote from theirishnoob :because of the overhaul physics this is possible because as we all know, the best/cheapest drift tyres are smaller tyres wrapped around a bigger wheel, but this also means in lfs terms " tyres will blow up within 2 seconds unless you have full progression via a wheel /w sensitive pedals "

but like i said, try to do anything like that in lfs - it will burst into flames.

Nono, don't get me wrong mate, I am all in for using the game as people finds entertaining I just think the main development should be aimed at the racing party. Again, that is not meant as any critism to drifters, cruisers, drag'ers (not dragqueens you mofo's) and others, do as you want and enjoy LFS the way you do, but let the developer develop the game mainly for racing, and if they get time they can make some goodies for the other likings
-
(MariusMM) DELETED by MariusMM
True, we know they does that. But I just states my opinion that I personally, The Very End, aka Tor, wants the developers aka Scawen, Victor and Eric to focus their development on the racing parts of the game, while they, when they feel they are done with the racing part, got free time or generally wants, can start focusing on the alternative stuff.

Aaaaw, eight months of repeated clicking on the bookmark and then, suddenly, there's this cream of news that things are about to go from best to best-ier

great to hear that we'll have new physics. Not that i DID know what the actual differences to real-world racing there were, but i'm still excited that after long months of separation from my wheel due to a complete remake of my apartment, i'll get to sit back down and enjoy and even better best racing simulation.

Thank you, devs, for all your work-at-your-own-pace. You know the best as to what needs to be done and how well. Take all the time you need. Us faithful fans will wait long..long to get the best there is.

Luv
Quote from Bob Smith :It seems standard practise these days, that once the patch has been run past the beta testers and the issues they bring up are resolved, that it will be publicly tested to ensure the official patch is as stable as possible (Scawen has commented that even when a patch has no issues with the beta testers, the community at large still manages to find obscures issues and hardware irregularities).

The extended testing that the patches provide is always good. However, I doubt most of us will be able to make any quantitative evaluations of the new tire physics. We'll be able to make some qualitative evaluations, but that probably won't help much. What we will find is a bunch of little goofy things that the Beta testers will miss.

Quote from Bob Smith :However, there have already been some compatible test patches, testing some of the new changes, so if that only leaves new tyres and an extra car not being tested, perhaps there won't be a need for public testing of those items.

Yep, who knows? We'll see when we see. But I doubt that those are the only things we haven't seen yet.
Quote from Hallen :The extended testing that the patches provide is always good. However, I doubt most of us will be able to make any quantitative evaluations of the new tire physics. We'll be able to make some qualitative evaluations, but that probably won't help much. What we will find is a bunch of little goofy things that the Beta testers will miss.

Well, I know betatsters are eager to try new changes but... tyre physics is the core of physics engine and it doesnt affect different software and hardware configurations
Only just saw this thread.

Thanks LFS devs.

I'm really excited by this news.

EDIT: It would be cool if you could opt in for beta testing for £1 or £0.59 per new big release or something through LFSWorld

It would support the development and it would be bad-ass.
Thanks for posting a progress report Scawen.

Quote from Shotglass : can you give some more info on how the old model worked (conceptually; no code details obviously) and how the new one is different to give us physics geeks something to fill the time with between now and when the new version goes public?

Quote from Ball Bearing Turbo :Indeed. Curious minds need food!

Seconded & Thirded. Also I do wonder if and how this new model will affect CPU usage.
That really is great news. Thanks so much for the continued work, I never lost faith! I'm glad you guys are caring about the core of what made LFS what it is- the physics.

My assumption is that with 4 tires doing the work instead of 2, the cars will be a lot more stable- even the LX cars and Raceabout!

Man, I guess I gotta get busy finishing my DIY wheel/pedals/shifter now!!!

Brendan
Quote from deggis : I have also always thought that getting the tyres right would really change the experience more than new content or other most often requested features.

_

Agree 1000%!! The current tire physics have driven me nuts several times.

Now i find myself checking everyday to see it the new patch is released.
It HAD to be released when i'm not on lfs as much anymore.
Quote from Darkone55 :Well.. Although this turn is cambered, the BF1 still does over 6 G. That's just too much. In other fast turns it easily does over 5 G.

According to this page real f1 cars corners faster at low speed then the ones of lfs and at high speed consistent 6g is indeed on he high side but by just a little.

Many other sources claime F1 cars will generate 5g's consistently on any fast corner during entire races..

I did some test few minutes ago, got as national set, some extra wing to get more grip, put on r2 tires to get realistic grip levels. I did not exceed 5g, only peaked once over it. In the slow corners maximum lateral forces were on the low side compared to some sources.
Also tested at as-grand prix i did manage to get it to peak at 6.5g's for a very brief moment, in the fast left hander which is also banked and then immediately dropping back to 4.5 - 5 g's max.

Can you post the replay showing consistent 6g through a long corner?
Quote from Sueycide_FD :It HAD to be released when i'm not on lfs as much anymore.

Well it hasn't been released yet. Play LFS some more and then you'll have no problem.

Just amazing news... I can't wait!!!!
Great, I enjoy progress reports and communcation!
I suppose after that you get at least 75% less moaning.
I'm not holding my breath, but I hope so.

Of course now we'll just get "when's the new tyre physics coming?" threads instead
Great news!
Yeah I know it's an XRT, I never even looked at the filename tbh. That's a typo though, not an easter egg

A more interesting task would be to find out if beta.lfs.net does something more than just redirects to the main website..
Ah so i wasn't having an Illusion
Attached images
Uten navn.JPG
Quote from aroX123 :Ah so i wasn't having an Illusion

You tryed to be funny.

You failed.
Quote from NotAnIllusion :A more interesting task would be to find out if beta.lfs.net does something more than just redirects to the main website..

Nice find I think thats a page for beta testers.
This thread is closed

New Tyre Physics (work in progress)
(1075 posts, closed, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG