The online racing simulator
Quote from kimd41 :Not sure if this was asked before but: Do the new tyre physics work well with the ramps? I mean, in the current version if the tyre gets between two ramps it'll send you to space, will that be fixed? Or thats not tyre related?

It probably is tire related and is similar to the "Exploding curbs" that people complain about.

It seems to be that the current tire model does not deal well with two contact patches simultaneously. You get two contact patches when hitting a sharp curb and the tire is still touching the ground and the curb at the same time. This seems to generate a huge amount of energy.

You can test it by by using the chicane curbs on KY3 where you come off of the oval. If you place your car in the right place with it stationary, it will start to vibrate and bounce. I think this is because the physics engine is bouncing back and forth between the two contact patches.

I don't know if the new tire physics will address this problem, or if I even have the problem defined correctly. It could be something completely different than dual contact patches.
Quote from Hallen :It seems to be that the current tire model does not deal well with two contact patches simultaneously.

In fact, it only has a single contact point per tyre. This means when this single contact point crosses a sharp incline like the edge of a curb or a ramp the physics engine sees a (relatively) large movement upwards over a small amount of physics steps. Large movement across little time = lots of energy, so off you go. Wheee!
Yes, LFS uses a simple line collision, and does not use a a multi-rigid body approach, so the wheel instantly moves to follow the contour of the road.
you have tried the games netkar and iracing...

well you guys have a better game hands down...but they have the upper hand on the traction..

i dont know shit really...except that i have driving over 100k miles in los angeles and know how a car acts lol....

not saying make your game like theirs, but im just saying they have great ****ing ideas..

let me beta test for you guys...im the man yo
Quote from theblackrabbi :
i dont know shit really...except that i have driving over 100k miles in los angeles and know how a car acts lol....

Were these 100K miles driven at race speeds looking through a 45 degree FOV? :expressio
Quote from Crashgate3 :Were these 100K miles driven at race speeds looking through a 45 degree FOV? :expressio

It's LA so...first gear and hard on the brake :P
Quote from Takumi_lfs :I'm sure that lerts could code the best tyre physics ever.

He would also use a umbrella for more aerodynamic

If lerts is developing LFS now i have no doubt that the next vehicle included wil be a crispy bike .

But on a serious note people top bitching if u dont like the pace of LFS get other games.
Get grid or get a freaking console with Gt5 Dirt 2 or Forza 3 and shut up you freaking bunch of dumba%^^ses.
Then play those when u grow bored of those get back to LFS very simple solution aint it?
NOW USE IT!!
I'm curious if this physics update will get rid of the "tyre squeal at 1mph bug".
Do You have locked diff? That might be the problem .
Quote from Byku :Do You have locked diff? That might be the problem .

No, I'm talking about the well known bug, not about a setup issue.
Yep, sounds definitely need work. 4 samples for several different skid and squeal conditions just isn't enough.
At the very least there should be different samples for longitudal and lateral slip.
Or, perhaps even better, 16 or so samples from light skid (small contact patch, lateral) to heavy lateral and longitudal skidding (high speed, larger angle). 4 dynamically pitched samples could do but then we'd need a better mixer than Shift+A to modify the envelope, etc.
Quote from obsolum :I'm curious if this physics update will get rid of the "tyre squeal at 1mph bug".

Actually this does happen. I have had my share of supermarket jobs, getting the shopping-carts from where ever people have left them in the parking-lot, and had frequently heard >5mph tire squealing when ever certain cars park. I have noticed that it is most common in larger S.U.V. type vehicles. It happens when their wheel is cranked to full lock and they are pulling in to a parking space.

I have no recorded evidence of this. However, from my experience I know slow speed tire squeal does happen in real life.
Quote from legoflamb :Actually this does happen. I have had my share of supermarket jobs, getting the shopping-carts from where ever people have left them in the parking-lot, and had frequently heard >5mph tire squealing when ever certain cars park. I have noticed that it is most common in larger S.U.V. type vehicles. It happens when their wheel is cranked to full lock and they are pulling in to a parking space.

I have no recorded evidence of this. However, from my experience I know slow speed tire squeal does happen in real life.

+1.
I've actually experienced something similar in my Fiat Punto,equipped with some miserable "i can't remember what their name was" 185/55R15 tyres.
Wheels were at full lock and i was merely above 5mph too,but the tarmac was very new and they were squealing.
if what you mean is when you take the fzr/5 andd sttp and turn lock to lock they squeal, that is from grip of the wide tire
Squealing means that the tyre is sliding,a little bit at least.
Quote from legoflamb :Actually this does happen. I have had my share of supermarket jobs, getting the shopping-carts from where ever people have left them in the parking-lot, and had frequently heard >5mph tire squealing when ever certain cars park. I have noticed that it is most common in larger S.U.V. type vehicles. It happens when their wheel is cranked to full lock and they are pulling in to a parking space.

Now I know that carparks often use a very slick surface so I wouldn't be surprised, nevertheless are you sure you've not mistaken the noise the power steering makes at full lock for squealing tyres?
Quote from bbman :Now I know that carparks often use a very slick surface so I wouldn't be surprised, nevertheless are you sure you've not mistaken the noise the power steering makes at full lock for squealing tyres?

What kind of noise are you talking about?
I'm sure i've never heard the power steering do any sort of BZZZZ or EEEEKKKKK.
Quote :What kind of noise are you talking about?

It sounds sort of like BZZZ or EEEEKKK
Quote from legoflamb : I have no recorded evidence of this. However, from my experience I know slow speed tire squeal does happen in real life.

I get that squealing every time I go to the mall, it's just the surface as bbman pointed out.

The same maneuver performed on a paved road just produces a broadband "rumble"-like noise in my experience with normal carts whoops cars on everyday tyres.
Quote from bbman : are you sure you've not mistaken the noise the power steering makes at full lock for squealing tyres?

I can't be sure about that, but usually any squealing not caused by the surface at full lock is caused by the tire rubbing against the body somewhere. Or maybe I'm confusing that with the power steering sound. the skid sound is distinct, the two don't sound quite the same.

Quote from NightShift :I get that squealing every time I go to the mall, it's just the surface as bbman pointed out.

The same maneuver performed on a paved road just produces a broadband "rumble"-like noise in my experience with normal carts whoops cars on everyday tyres.

I know it is the slick surface that causes the sound at such slow speeds, I was just giving an example of the noise happening in real life. The point I should have made is that it is not necessarily a LFS bug that needs to be "squashed." It just needs to be more refined so that it only happens when it should happen.
I have not confirmed anything but I am more reasonably sure that the tire sound I heard in the parking-lots was caused by the Ackerman steering of the cars.
I, on a regular basis (if it's about 25 degrees out) get tyre squeel around a corner at about 30 KM/h. and with less speed + more lock will do the same.
It's due to the contact patch of the tire, wide tires will cause scrub
This thread is closed

New Tyre Physics (work in progress)
(1075 posts, closed, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG