The online racing simulator
Quote from Sponge :So, you don't have the money for a S2 license, but do think of purchasing a real Scirocco?

Open your dumb**** head!! If you want me S2 licensed, then sned in the $$$$ to my PayPal account, Mr. Smartass!
Danny LFS, he's only reacting to your nonsense spamming. Consider stopping talking nonsense instead of adding to the complete crap.
The devs need a PR manager.

The whole Scirocco thing has been a farce but even beyond that, in general the devs suck at PR.

I know all about the "done when its done" mantra and as a developer I get where they're coming from but if you're going down that road you need to manage expectations of both your clients and of your business partners. Failure to do so may put potential future business partners off, especially if they are lending their name to LFS; it'll be their reputation as well.

It's also not a wise business move to keep the people paying the bills in the dark. At the moment, development on LFS looks stagnant. I'm sure the guys are chipping their way towards the next release but would a bi-weekly development log be much effort? Nothing detailed, no dates mentioned and anything to be kept a surprise does not have to be mentioned. I'm pretty sure you could manage two paragraphs on what happened over the last two weeks without revealing anything epic.

Do big game houses do this? Bet your ass the don't but then they set deadlines and release dates.

IMO this is a chunk the guys missed from the "done when its done" dev model they've adopted.
-
(pearcy_2k7) DELETED by SamH : abuse/spam
Perhaps they fear they will stirr up too much hype by revealing things.

But then again, as you say, keeping quiet stirrs up just as much hype, if not more.

LFS don't do marketing. I'm not sure if you're aware of that, Anarchi-H. PR is an integral portion of marketing, which as I say the devs don't and never have done. I'm also missing the bit where people other than the LFS devs are paying the LFS devs' bills. AFAIK, the devs are paying their bills.

Apart from buying some extra skin downloads, I've not paid anything to the devs since I bought my S2 licence, have you? I certainly am not owed anything from that purchase that hasn't been delivered. In fact I have 2 more cars than when I bought it and the promise of another.

As for mantras, the devs have said they're continuing to develop LFS. They skipped over an update, which was unfortunate, but they've explained fully how that came to pass. Nobody is being kept in the dark.

The difference between LFS and large game houses is already well-established. IMO, one of the best aspects of LFS is that deadlines aren't set. The quality of the updates, when they do come, is proof enough for me.

I remember when EA met their Battlefield2 deadline by releasing a dedicated server fully in the knowledge that it wouldn't work. At all. Gimme LFS over that crap any day.
It does depend on your viewpoint. If your are a big business partner then yes, their particular business model at the moment could be a little more, dare i say it, professionial. But we are not parley to what they are up to behind the scenes. They are obviously talking to some big people to secure the VW badge and the Williams F1. We don't know what else is being developed in the commercial arena which in the long run could prove far more profitable than releasing updates to grumpy old sim racers like us.

Some might moan that if that is the case then how could they 'change their spots' aftyer leaving big business to go back to pandering to it again. Fair play if they are, it's what I would do. It's how the the world works. Work your apprentiship, then steal all your old customers when you start up the new business. But if, on the other hand, thay are keeping this a 'cottage' industry to deal to a small but deedicated fanbase, then nobody really has a need to complain. The old stalwarts know why LFS was made in the first place and the ethos behind it. Those that bemoan the lack of progress really really don't get it.

Personally. I think LFS is still a kick arse racing sim second to none. It' snot perfect, but then what sim/game ever is. Especially if your called EA and rush everything out on the deadline with only half the code written hoping to hot fix it before anyone can get to the broken last mission.

For me LFS is like the old family dog atm. You've had it for a few years, and yes it's breath smells and it farts worse than granddad but at the end of the day you love it and you still take it out for long walks in the countryside. Long live LFS. So say I.

Edit - Took me so long to right this i've missed what I was replying too. Oh well.

Edit edit - Looks like me and SamH are singing from the same crib sheet. That's a thought. Hey Sam, fancy starting a PR company?
Quote from Anarchi-H :I'm sure the guys are chipping their way towards the next release but would a bi-weekly development log be much effort? Nothing detailed, no dates mentioned and anything to be kept a surprise does not have to be mentioned. I'm pretty sure you could manage two paragraphs on what happened over the last two weeks without revealing anything epic.

Yours truly suggested this ages ago, zero response. Other people since have suggested it fairly often, zero response. It ain't happening.

Quote from Anarchi-H : Do big game houses do this? Bet your ass the don't but then they set deadlines and release dates.

Depends on the game house. I think the developers of EVE online (I consider them fairly big atleast) have got the developer/playerbase relationship bang on. They offer many monthly dev blogs, forum posts, reports, all kinds of things to keep the players interested in their next upcoming patches. And it's not just some PR people writing whatever garbage they think of, it's the programmers and the artists of the dev team writing those dev reports. Even something as simple and small as a skill training queue announcement in their blog caused the whole playerbase to jump up in joy. I can't see any reason why this kind of PR tactic wouldn't work with the case of LFS.

Of course writing dev blogs has the requirement of something of worth mentioning in the blog has been done in the first place, we can't know that it has anymore. Not with the silent treatment that is going on.
Keeping quiet is good :chefsmili
The Wolksvagin Scirocco will be the best car in lfs :clapclap:
The more quiet , the bigger the surprize resent: :auto:
Quote from Funnybear :Edit edit - Looks like me and SamH are singing from the same crib sheet. That's a thought. Hey Sam, fancy starting a PR company?

hahaha! You said "snot"!!

I'm up for the PR co.!
Quote from Drifters Only :By the looks of it there will be a Fern Bay make over. Looks quite nice actually ! absolutely can't wait till the big release

I read in the same thread that the LFS you're seeing is using custom textures from the add-ons section of the forum
This is not the LFS your looking for. Move along now.
Quote from Funnybear :[...] They are obviously talking to some big people to secure the VW badge and the Williams F1. [...]

Williams F1? Where did you get that from? If you're referring to the BF1, that's a Sauber BMW, not Williams..

Or did I miss something?
You know what I meant. Picky picky picky.
Quote from SamH :LFS don't do marketing. I'm not sure if you're aware of that, Anarchi-H. PR is an integral portion of marketing...

Perhaps PR was the wrong term. They need someone to manage communication between them and the world (which to me is PR).

At the moment this is handled by posts to lfs.net and the occasional forum post but they do do it.

They should still do the later because that is an important part of LFS but managing expectations should be handled by the PR manager.

By "paying the bills" I was referring to income for the devs. While I'm sure it's cool working at home on a project you want to work on, bills still need paying. LFS is a revenue stream to pay those bills, even if they have other things going on.

I'm not even that bothered about the Scirocco tbh. It's just a shame to see the devs get bashings in threads like this when it could have been avoided by properly managing communication.
Quote from Anarchi-H :I'm not even that bothered about the Scirocco tbh. It's just a shame to see the devs get bashings in threads like this when it could have been avoided by properly managing communication.

What communication? Sure, they said it would be delayed.. That was 4 months ago.. So what the hell is going on? The only thing that they have told us since they delayed the Scirocco/Scawen moved was that we're mentally ill... Where I work if you called a customer mentally ill; you better enjoy your last moments of work...

I really don't care about the Scirocco. I have been playing the crap out of TDU, that game never gets old. Theres more than enough cars to keep you busy, and I know if its not already released, theres a Scirocco mod for it. It has features LFS will probably never have at this rate, and their devs haven't publicly called their customers names.
Quote from Anarchi-H :I'm not even that bothered about the Scirocco tbh. It's just a shame to see the devs get bashings in threads like this when it could have been avoided by properly managing communication.

Fully agree with you

Scavier have always been the source of their forums trouble. Not talking to your community inevitably brings moaning. I've said it before; just a tad of communication would decrease the amount of moaning by a lot!
Yeah... part of the moaners will certainly shut up(especially those about no communication :razz, but new kind of moaners will appear certainly . Guys, yeah it's 4 month... and what's even more, some of You still have strength to moan . It is funny, isn't it?
Quote from Anarchi-H :Perhaps PR was the wrong term. They need someone to manage communication between them and the world (which to me is PR).

At the moment this is handled by posts to lfs.net and the occasional forum post but they do do it.

They should still do the later because that is an important part of LFS but managing expectations should be handled by the PR manager.

You can make arguments in favour of and against sharing "teasers" with the community but you have to recognise that this entire thread full of the worst examples of complaining, whining and utterly infantile tantrums is as a direct result of the devs' attempt to share information with the community. If you want to confirm that sharing information about what's coming in LFS before it's finished and ready to release is a mistake, just go back to page 1 and start reading.

Quote from Anarchi-H :By "paying the bills" I was referring to income for the devs. While I'm sure it's cool working at home on a project you want to work on, bills still need paying. LFS is a revenue stream to pay those bills, even if they have other things going on.

I think, respectfully, that we can leave the decisions about revenue stream, working from home, paying bills, choosing which pram to buy, where to buy their computer or kitchen.. to the devs. They don't need us to hand-hold them while they make decisions about ANY of their personal financial affairs, including how they should best manage their business strategy. I certainly wouldn't presume to know better than them on such matters. Yanno?
Off topic: Guys!What you are talking about is very off topic!

On topic: Meh wantz wantz wannaz wantz Scirocco so bad!!! Even Top Gear has an article about it. And it is GT verizion. MEH WANTS SCIROCCO SO BAD!!! devs ruined my early 2009 <-DONT TAKE SERIOUSLY
Quote from SamH : ... If you want to confirm that sharing information about what's coming in LFS before it's finished and ready to release is a mistake, just go back to page 1 and start reading.

IMO that is where you're wrong. The sharing of that information was just done at the wrong time in the wrong way. Yeah you'll always get some asshat bitching but that's the way things go. I don't think everyone that has bitched is necessarily an asshat; some of them are just frustrated.

Quote from SamH :I think, respectfully, that we can leave the decisions about revenue stream, working from home, paying bills, choosing which pram to buy, where to buy their computer or kitchen.. to the devs. They don't need us to hand-hold them while they make decisions about ANY of their personal financial affairs, including how they should best manage their business strategy. I certainly wouldn't presume to know better than them on such matters. Yanno?

Respectfully, my point was that I've not encountered any industry where frustrating (potential) customers to the point of them getting pissed off is a good strategy. 'Cept maybe arms dealers

I'm not a business guru though, I'll not pretend to know about these things.
The developers aren't purposely trying to frustrate people by not releasing regular updates on the progress they are making - they never have done and I don't think they ever will, that's just the way they work.

Remember, the more time spent managing the community with updates and screen shots, is less time spent developing their game.
This thread is closed

[MERGED] Scirocco enquiry threads
(2369 posts, closed, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG