The online racing simulator
Quote from Rappa Z :http://www.arsenal.com/news/ne ... d-for-van-persie-transfer

Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu

He's a great striker but what use is he when he spends six months of the year in physio. If they've got over £20M for him that's a good bit of business. He's probably only got another 2 years of peak performance left anyway, if that.

They will need a better player than Podolski to replace him though, unless they're planning to put Walcott up the middle and play a more direct game, but playing direct would make Wenger physically sick I think.
Just a shame to sell him when he finally has a season where he shows his true potential. They pay him for all those half seasons with injuries and patchy form, only to offload once he starts doing what what they hoped he would the whole time. And to Man Utd too.....

Milan or Barcelona I would have understood, but unless they make a big signing before the end of the window, it's clear they have no serious intention to challenge the Manchester clubs for the title, even if Wenger probably still thinks it's on.

I don't really blame Van Persie, though.
Fabregas-esque transfer IMO, all I see is him sitting on couch and waiting his chance to go out against Wigan or Sunderland. Or when Rooney is injured.
Quote from sinbad :Just a shame to sell him when he finally has a season where he shows his true potential. They pay him for all those half seasons with injuries and patchy form, only to offload once he starts doing what what they hoped he would the whole time. And to Man Utd too.....

Milan or Barcelona I would have understood, but unless they make a big signing before the end of the window, it's clear they have no serious intention to challenge the Manchester clubs for the title, even if Wenger probably still thinks it's on.

I don't really blame Van Persie, though.

Wenger didn't want to sell him. He also didn't want to keep an unhappy player in the team. The fans boo-ing RVP at the last pre season match sealed it.
Quote from TexasLTU :Fabregas-esque transfer IMO, all I see is him sitting on couch and waiting his chance to go out against Wigan or Sunderland. Or when Rooney is injured.

Rooney will have his worst season ever. He's done. They should have sold him to City when they had the chance.
Yeah I'm pretty convinced Rooney is headed for another 10/11 season. He needs a rest, and thats why Robin has been bought. I'd have far rather a CM or a ****ing LB though. City will still win the title by 10-15 points. Arsenal will be 3rd with Chelsea and Tottenham fighting for 4th.
You guys are forgetting that UTD lost the season by one goal, in the last 3 minutes of the season. And this was an average team apparently. Rooney isn't past it either. Last season everyone was saying he was having a shit season, but he still finished one of the top goal scorers. He's just not getting the quality balls that ronaldo and giggs used to supply him. Valencia will be better this season so the quality on the right side will start to return. Nani needs to get his finger out and become more of a team player.
Excellent bit of business by Arsenal IMO - £24m for a notoriously injury prone player past his peak in the last year of his contract. He would've left for free at the end of the season, and it just would've been constant speculation all season long
The big teams would all have offered him a competitive salary to extend his contract by a year or two.

Wenger didn't want to sell, and RVP would have been happy to stay for the right money, but when team x and team y offer so much more, the player has to feel like his current club are taking him for a ride, so he won't be happy to stay.

If he's not worth a punt now he never will be.
It'll be interesting to see him and Rooney playing together. Could potentially be a great combination.
Apparently, during the Cologne match, Wenger had made up his decision and told RVP that he was not part of his plans - not sure if this is true or not. Disappointed to see him move to Manchester United, but I think it's a great deal for Arsenal - I don't think he would have re-captured the same form, and injuries could have taken place, so that much money for a player with just a year left on his contract isn't bad at all.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/19291500

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/19293825

Need to keep Song, and it's probably best for all parties that Bartley got a fresh start.

P.S. Join the Fantasy Premier League private league: 376177-380815.
1st round with just disappointments for me... Liverpool sucked hard, Arsenal can't make a goal which was the biggest disappointment of the whole day and QPR losing by a margin... Looking forward to DFB-pokal games...
Putting Vorm in goal was a smart choice :P.
Quote from Stig209 :DFB-pokal games...

six 1.Bundesliga teams already out... Two lost against 4th league teams Either the competition tightens or... there is too much money involved in the one or other match
Almighty Paris Saint-Germain suffers second draw. Thats what we're talking about.
VIVE LE PSG - BEST CLUB IN FOOTBALL HISTORY!!
Quote from TFalke55 :six 1.Bundesliga teams already out... Two lost against 4th league teams Either the competition tightens or... there is too much money involved in the one or other match

Dont think that the competition has got any tighter... Schalke, SvB and München 1860 (And Bayern has started quite well...) showed it quite clearly that the gap is still quite big... I guess the already droppen ones have taken the game like "hah, they play on the 4th level, we win this with our eyes shut!" and lost... too much confidence I say
It made me so happy, but I'm sure we're just speaking too soon. After all, it's one game.
It was a great display from everton. It should also open a few eyes in the other teams. Everton were the better team on the day. It's the first game of the season so you can't really judge the teams performance for at least 3 games. imho.
Watched the match, and Everton thoroughly deserved that. Felt a bit sick watching RVP come onto the pitch, and he did make some decent passes, but I get the feeling that it's him who will drop into the No. 10 slot, not Rooney. Hoping he's a flop :P.
Everton look so confident these days, I think all the top teams are scared of them. Nice to see Man U get stuffed by any team though isn't it.
Everton are a very tight and compact squad, very hard to break them down in open play, best chances Man U had where on the break most of the time.

Moyes has done wonders at times with that club, 10 years at Everton I think and never outside the top 8, wonderful achievement.
Quote from Mackie The Staggie :Everton are a very tight and compact squad, very hard to break them down in open play, best chances Man U had where on the break most of the time.

Moyes has done wonders at times with that club, 10 years at Everton I think and never outside the top 8, wonderful achievement.

everton was pretty amazing. RvP plz. IM NOT WINNING ENUF GUIZ

The General Football Discusion Thread
(3469 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG