The online racing simulator
Wenger's had some very average signings in recent years but he's been forced into a bad position in the market due to star players leaving. Still, Cazorla has performed way above expectations, and there is still lots of talented young players pushing their way into the first team. To lose two players like Fabregas and Van Persie would make a big dent in any team but to Wenger's credit they still look like finishing in the top four, assuming Chelsea beat Spurs anyway.

Some Arsenal fans seem to think with a new manager they would waltz their way to premier league titles, they seem to forget the money that Chelsea and Man City have got. And bear in mind Wenger's had the whole stadium development happen during his tenure which sapped their finances and yet he still qualified for the champions league every season.

He's a very talented manager and I can't think of anyone who would do a better job.
Piers Morgan dislikes this.
I know that, honestly, it's not his fault, but he's just too damn easy to blame.

In reality, it's the stadium debt that kills us.
The way I see it is that hopefully now the club seems to be on top of the stadium debt and getting improved sponsorship revenues we might be able to compete more with regards to transfers.

Problem is you have to beat now you have Chelsea and Manchester City as well as United to worry about. It's not a given that you'll win anything even with a top squad.
Realistically Arsenal are never going to compete with the Manchester clubs or Chelsea to sign the very best players because they just don't have the finances. Wenger already worked that out years ago which is why he doesn't pursue them.

The club has developed well in the last ten years though. They have a bigger international following than they've ever had, they have an amazing new stadium (and they're already considering ways to expand it), profits are good, league performances are consistently good.

It's been a while since the days of Bergkamp and Henry but hey, look at Liverpool - it wasn't long ago that they had Xabi Alonso, Mascherano, Arbeloa, Torres when he was actually good, etc. Now look at them. And has changing managers every 18 months helped them improve their league performances?

They used to be the biggest club in England. For a couple of decades. That's just how it goes.
Quote from WhizzkidOne :The way I see it is that hopefully now the club seems to be on top of the stadium debt and getting improved sponsorship revenues we might be able to compete more with regards to transfers.

Problem is you have to beat now you have Chelsea and Manchester City as well as United to worry about. It's not a given that you'll win anything even with a top squad.

You left out spurs. Spurs is a club that could very well win the title next year.
Quote from Mustangman759 :You left out spurs. Spurs is a club that could very well win the title next year.

Remove Bale and they are seriously short of firepower. No team relies on a single player like Spurs do (except perhaps Liverpool) and until they address that then you can't consider them to be contenders. One injury would be a major problem
bale,christina manu next year
Quote from Storm_Cloud :Remove Bale and they are seriously short of firepower.

I disagree. I happen to believe Tottenham have an extremely strong team, they also just so happen to have a player that does this amazing individual action on the pitch.
Quote from Mustangman759 :You left out spurs. Spurs is a club that could very well win the title next year.

Tottenham have worried me in the last 2 or 3 years although I think for the time being Champions League qualification is more realistic than winning the league for them.

It will be interesting to see if they can keep hold of Bale any longer. He is frightening!
I think they'll get one more season with Bale if they're lucky, then he'll be moving on. I can't see him signing another contract with Tottenham, not when he could get regular first team football anywhere in Europe.
He will go to Madrid and ruin his career like Kaka, Beckham, the list goes on.
Quote from thisnameistaken : not when he could get regular first team football anywhere in Europe.

That's what was said about Owen and Beckham.
Quote from Bmxtwins :He will go to Madrid and ruin his career like Kaka, Beckham, the list goes on.

americans and football

beckham had some great time in real madrid , but tbh he was on "end"...
Kaka?Do u even know story how berlusconi "fcked up" real with kaka ?haha
Kaka is overshadowed by Ozil.
Lovely Wigan
Last thing Arsenal need is for Wenger to go this summer IMHO. Jovetic in maybe and a versatile defender with deadwood and those who have struggled to make the grade being shipped out. Eisfeld, Aneke, Afobe (when back from injury), Gnabry and Frimpong will probably go out on loan - Eisfeld looks absolutely class everytime I've watched him. Akpom has been excellent too, though I think he might be a bit young in Wenger's eyes to spend a spell out on loan yet.
Porto just beat benfica with an injury time goal to take the Superliga lead by 1 point with only one week left in the series. Not all is lost, though (as much as I hate to admit it as a Porto fan but let's be real).

Just leaving this here in case anyone wants to pay attention to another leagues, btw.
Quote from Senninha25 :Porto just beat benfica with an injury time goal to take the Superliga lead by 1 point with only one week left in the series. Not all is lost, though (as much as I hate to admit it as a Porto fan but let's be real).

Just leaving this here in case anyone wants to pay attention to another leagues, btw.

I saw that. I was almost sure they will both extend their streak without losing to the end of season. Well, shit happened. Porto has more difficult draw in next round though (by the look on the table), so let's see.
Would love to see some smaller clubs up.
Quote from Kid222 :I saw that. I was almost sure they will both extend their streak without losing to the end of season. Well, shit happened. Porto has more difficult draw in next round though (by the look on the table), so let's see.

Porto and Benfica are head and shoulders above everyone else, 3rd place Paços de Ferreira (who has guaranteed a Champions' League entry next year) is just best of the rest as far as this season goes. We've still got 5 clubs trying to avoid relegation with only 1 day to go.
Quote from Rappa Z :And what do you know Almunia might still have it.

Waterford moves on to Wembley after this beautiful piece of play. One win from the Premier League.

Saw that live and almost made a hole in the ceiling with my head, it was epic (obviously supporting Watford because Vydra).

Quote from Senninha25 :Porto and Benfica are head and shoulders above everyone else, 3rd place Paços de Ferreira (who has guaranteed a Champions' League entry next year) is just best of the rest as far as this season goes. We've still got 5 clubs trying to avoid relegation with only 1 day to go.

Yeah, it looked like that to me, after i glanced upon the league table.
We have similar situation with Plzen and Sparta Prague now. Although they tend to lose more often. ^^

The General Football Discusion Thread
(3469 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG