The online racing simulator
Making LFS Movies!
(561 posts, started )
#1 - (SaM)
Making LFS Movies!
Going to make a movie? I'll explain how.

Recording
  • Start up Fraps. Download at http://www.fraps.com. Set it to record at Full-size and at 30fps (or lower if the video is choppy.)
  • Start up LFS. Go to Options > Misc and put on Limit framerate on 30fps.
  • In-game, play the replay.
    (If you want to, press shift + U to set up a user camera. Press SPACE to remove the usercam menu. Press follow to let the camera follow the nearest car.)

• Press SHIFT + F to remove everything from the display.
  • Press F2 to slow down the replay at 0.5 speed.
  • Press the record button you specified in Fraps. When finished, stop recording with the same button.
  • Start up VirtualDub. http://virtualdub.sourceforge.net/. Open the avi file you recorded. Go to Video > Frame rate. Click on Process every other frame and press OK, or click on 'Change to [ ] frames per second' and put down the double amount of fps you set Fraps to. The last option will give the video more fps but you will only notice the difference if you will use slowmotion on this clip in the movie. This is because movies generally dont have more than 30fps.
  • If this is all the movie needs, 1 clip, go to Video > Compression and choose one of the codecs (XviD or DivX are recommended).
    Press F7 to save it and it's done.

• If you want to edit this clip together with some other clips into a movie, press F7 without compressing it and save it. Now it's time for editing.
Editing
  • If you have Adobe Premiere Pro and know at least some basics of movie editing, use that.
    If you're able to use Premiere, you dont need instructions from me, if you dont know how to use Premiere, start with Windows Movie Maker found in the start menu.
    You can always get to use Premiere if you want to go more professional.

Import the clips you made and put them in order, make them longer or shorter and add some transitions if you want. Dont forget, the best transitions wich I'd recommend if you want to use a transitions, is the dissolve, or fade from/to black. The other ones looks pretty unprofessional.
    When you're done, add a title and credits if you want, then finish it and save it.

Advice
  • My advice on making movies is keep it viewer friendly. Think what kind of movie it is, is it a cool movie with lots of cool action, edit the shots quickly and choose quick music, but dont make the movie messy, where lots of stuff happens and you dont know what's happening.

If the movie is more gentle, focus on recording the action clearly and in stylish camera positions+movements.

I know this sounds obvious, but it's often forgotten. A good movie should be a whole package where everything is working together.
    Make the editing and effects the same as the kind of movie.

Watch the movie every now and then when you make progress and think what it would be like if you were a viewer. What would he expect and what would he like to see.

To stop messages from being displayed, press Shift + F twice. (Thanks Mp3 Astra)

Tips on the SHIFT + U usercamera. Avoid big fields of view. More than 90 degrees is too much. On the other hand, a Field of view smaller than 90 degrees will look like zooming wich does look good.
    Also, use at least some View smoothing to make the movement of the camera go more dynamic and not instant. A low movement speed is also recommended, I use something around 3 to 20m/s.

Another advice is keep the continuity. Never go back in time (only if you want to get a flashback effect.)

Good luck and have fun!
And if you can record steady video in Fraps or with any external capture device... you can definitely use many 3rd party programs that are free. Windows Movie Maker is even a good tool, there are a lot of tricks with that software, and it can make quick and good videos if you're not a crazy editor
#3 - -wes-
Good info anyone have more?

like what codec's can windows handle without going online? (anyone not online these days?)

Whats best for playback/ any good free ones?

Webspace that provides free uploadspace and so on.
I think the DivX Codec is the best. I got a little programm to use it, it's called "Dr. Divx". With this Program it is very easy to compress the Video. After using the DivX Codec a 60MB large Vid has only 2MB !!! And the Quality is ok, too. You can download the Tool "Dr. DivX" here

If you want free Webspace go here. The only problem there is, that u cant upload files which are larger than 7MB... But maybe for some of you its ok.

mfg zockmachine
Quote from SlamDunk :I recommend the XviD codec. Nothing but good experiences with XviD. Quality + small file size.

And here's my little page where I have collected links to good file upload sites that I know of (for uploading videos, images etc.): http://personal.inet.fi/atk/kjh2348fs/ul_sites.html

thats real good stuff, thx

edit:

but how can i use the xvid codec on my videos ?
Use Vdub, and configure it to use the Xvid codec instead of raw.
#8 - (SaM)
Wtf? Did someone just jack my self made avatar?

McAzerty, pick another avatar, there are enough for you to choose from, thank you.
This is a much better guide than what was mine in the old forums. Perhaps an admin should stickify this?
Quote from (SaM) : Wtf? Did someone just jack my self made avatar?

:ices_rofl
and than..upload your production to LFS MOVIES PIT
Could any mod or ad make this topic sticky. It will prevent alot of repeating questions and it will diminish the amount of movies of subzero quality a bit maybe.
Hi all.

While you suggested Adobe Premiere, I am not sure if it's free. If not, where can I get a similar program. Same goes with Fraps. I have 1.9D but I'd like to record sound too.
Quote from GTR_Yuni :Hi all.

While you suggested Adobe Premiere, I am not sure if it's free. If not, where can I get a similar program. Same goes with Fraps. I have 1.9D but I'd like to record sound too.

Windows Media Player suits your needs if you want to do some quick editing. There arnt many free edit programs that i know of but if someone does, tell us.
But Faps freeversion can only 30sec record.
How can i take the live for Speed Movie Maker the Original Link dosen't work???
Please Answer !!!
You can try the 'alternative way' for getting the full version. And I have no idea where the LFS moviemaker is, I never used it. Maybe check the LFS Links topic?
This is the fullversion but it must be register like Live for Speed.
Please Answer!!!
Once you have downloaded and installed the free version you cannot install another version, as this is a known problem. It just either crashes or doesn't work.
Quote from Fordman :Once you have downloaded and installed the free version you cannot install another version, as this is a known problem. It just either crashes or doesn't work.

Works for me. I have just installed over previous versions loads of times, works every time.
Can please anyboby say me where I can get this Movie Maker.Or another good Movie Maker. PLEASE HELP ME!!!
Please Answer!!!
Quote from WIGGA :Can please anyboby say me where I can get this Movie Maker.Or another good Movie Maker. PLEASE HELP ME!!!

Stop spamming with the PLEASE ANSWER!!! You wont get a quicker response.
Anyway, if you would've looked closer, you can see that there's a Windows Movie Maker in the Start Menu.
I downloaded Lfs movie maker and make a movie but the cuality is very bad how can i change it???

Making LFS Movies!
(561 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG