The online racing simulator
Making LFS Movies!
(561 posts, started )
Quote from trackah123 :if you use adobe premiere.. then there is alot of nice plugins to check on the internet..

i made my back to the future movies with "borix fx continuum 3 plugin pack"

its good to have plugins

I think it's better to look for a plugin if I really need it. So I first decide what I want, and then see how I can make it.

If you download a plug-in pack, you want to try them all, and you get those preset-looks. And that doesn't look very professional.
you got a point there.. sometimes i choose a preset and then customize the preset values using my own keyframes and stuff.
Quote from (SaM) :That is very strange and that's the first time I heard it. Are you sure it's choppy and it's not because it isnt compressed yet? An uncompressed clip is alot of stress for a CPU to play, wich causes choppy playback. Compress the vid and see if it's still choppy.

I know... however I'm not sure did I really forget to compress the video.

Quote :What are the original FPS of the clip and what did you change it to and then convert it to?

25 --> 50.
Browsing the possibilities does give you ideas though. That's how I do it. I check em all out at first, then I decide wich are useful.
Hi!
Not sure if this goes under this topic, but I need some tips on encoding the movie with xvid. My problem is, even if I choose bitrate at 1300 kbps, the bitrate on the exported movie becomes 3500kbps and the quality is still very bad.

Also, if the movie is recorded at half the size of 1280x960 (with fraps recording half size), do you "resize" the movie before you encode it, or just leave it at 640x480?
Try Dr Divx or Virtual Dub (quick google searches will do) Xvid i find too complecated for me As for the resizing, i try to make all my movies 640x512.
Quote from deggis :I know... however I'm not sure did I really forget to compress the video. 25 --> 50.

Choose Change to 50 then choose Compression and press F7 to export the new compressed vid with correct FPS.
Quote from (SaM) :Choose Change to 50 then choose Compression and press F7 to export the new compressed vid with correct FPS.

I know how to use VirtualDub.

But yup, it was because of the uncompressed vid. Never ever seen 50 fps highres vid without compression so I didn't guess that the choppiness was because of that.

Now I can continue with my LX4 slowmotion project... an unofficial sequel to DoN's slowmotions movies. Kind of a training project to learn to use Adobe Premiere.
Lookin forward to seein that! And I assume you know that 30 FPS for the final vid is enough for smooth video.
Ok, I installed Dr. Divx and use that for encoding. But still, when exporting the project (in premiere) to an .avi file, for a 1 minute video I get a 25 meg file, with actually worse quality than most divx movies have, so if any of you have a tip or would like to share your encoding/compression settings I'd be really happy
Quote from owl_NO :Ok, I installed Dr. Divx and use that for encoding. But still, when exporting the project (in premiere) to an .avi file, for a 1 minute video I get a 25 meg file, with actually worse quality than most divx movies have, so if any of you have a tip or would like to share your encoding/compression settings I'd be really happy

First you should take a look at the resolution!

The settings for the rendering process have to be correct.

If you record it with 640X480 for example, the rendering result should have the same resolution (Premiere -> Export -> settings)

Then you have to render the whole picture. Nothing like "Bottom field first".
If you set this, you will get an interlaced result.

And last but not least!
You must choose no compression.
I think standard option is any kind of codec !!!

Hopefully it will help you a bit.

Sorry 4 my bad english

After this....Dr.DivX will encode the huge file.
My files have about 1 Gig a minute b4 encoding.
#62 - d6nn
adobe
i am having problems with adobe premiere. the thing is simple: i dont know how to use it . can any1 guide me or give me some tutorials. i mean the basics- importing-editing(effects,cuting)-saving.
:=)
#63 - Don
press F1
There are lots of tutorials on the interwebnet for stuff like this. Just google for stuff.

If you can't work out how to import clips, then I'm afraid that 99.999999% of tutorials will be above you. Spend some time fiddling and get used to what does what. I doubt anyone here will spoonfeed you through the entire process from import to render (render as in create movie).
I thought I was going to drag this topic back up, but the latest post was only a few days ago.

Anyways, I made my first vid the other day. It was crappy in quality and around 34 mb for 5 minutes. I'm going to try again soon and had a question.

I have new version of fraps and use Windows Movie Maker and have Virtual Dub. My question is, if I have several clips, do I want to compress them in Virtualdub (using DivX) first, then load them in Win Movie Maker to edit and combine the clips? The vid I did I loaded the uncompressed clips into Win Movie Maker and compressed them after combining and editing. I didn't use Virtualdub at all. I have no idea what kind of compression it did as Win MM doesn't really tell what it's doing. If I should compress all the clips first with VDub, then how should I save it in Win Movie Maker?

I have done some quick clips before (little 10-15 second stuff) but this recent one was the first time I've combined clips and tried to make a movie. It was fun and I think I'd like to do some more. At the file size I ended with, the vid was really crappy quality in my opinion. I do see some tips in this thread that I'm going to try though. I've seen some really good looking movies done that were around the same size and length (or longer even) than mine, but so much better quality.
I've never used Windows Movie Maker because it sucks but as far as I know it uses only .WMV (Windows Media Video Format) which Virtual Dub doesn't understand. I would suggest using some other program than Windows Movie Maker. You can do a simple movie using only VirtualDub but it may be hard with some things.

Key thing is to compress the movie after all the editing process is done. And compress it only one time. While editing it keep it in uncompressed .AVI format, though I'm not sure if Windows Movie Maker even wants to save it as uncompressed .AVI.

get the latest DivX or Xvid codecs from here http://www.free-codecs.com
Thanks deggis, I kind of figured that Windows Movie Maker would be crap as it has the "W" word in the software title. So then, is there any other similar but decent free editors out there that work like the concept of Movie Maker? I liked how you can add pictures and/or text to the timeline with it and the effects of fading in/out and stuff. It isn't a high enough priority to purchase something like Premier for me.
What's wrong with wmv? Sure VirtualDub doesnt eat wmv, but you dont need VirtualDub. Basically you just open all your clips in the windows movie maker, edit them and save it as wmv.
WMM is a good editor if you dont want to do special tricks, but just plain editing.
Hey I have just followed the tutorial hoping to make my first movie.

I only have the trial version of Fraps so 30 sec clips is all I get. After recording a few laps I did on a random server I came out with 90 seperate video files all recorded at half speed (30fps).

I then edited them and stuck em together with movie maker. Unfortunately VirtuaDub doesnt support the .asf files movie maker exports to and now im stuck with a movie at half speed.

Although half speed looks quite cool is there any way to encode .asf files without having to individually encode all 90 vids first then import into mm.

Thanks - Jamie
Open the recorded clips in Windows Movie Maker. Speed them up to 200% (it's under video effects), edit the movie and export it.
Violá.
Cheers for the advice Sam although I took a slightly different approach before you posted. I got a program that converted my wmv file (VirtualDub told me it was asf ) to avi and used VDub on it after, took a little time but ah well its done now.

If you wanna take a look its on movies pit now. Its my first movie and criticism is welcomed, as long as its constructive of course

Quote :OT : AWESOME avatar hardcoreobscure

hehe

my vid is here: http://www.lfsnews.net/moviespit/default.asp?movieid=592

cheers - J (btw family guy rules all!)
Well, why would you record while driving? Unless you can drive in shift+U view, the movie will not come out well. Record during replays, and make sure fraps AND LFS are set to 15FPS (Confirm this someone, I don't bother with movies)

Oh my god, how freaking late am I? 2 pages!? Oh dear. No more booze for apex. =/
I just want to say that Sony Vegas 6 is much easier for newbies (like me) to use than than Adobe Premiere Pro. Premiere was for me like trying to read Hebrew, I couldn't even do a simple job with it. Sony Vegas' interface is easier and simplier.

[video deleted due 100 mb limit on the web hosting]

If someone more pro could comment that in image quality wise... it was resized from 640x480 to 560x248 and deinterlace method was "Blend fields" (what's the difference between it and "Interpolate fields"? I couldn't see a significant difference). Rendering quality was Best and motion blur type Gaussian. But for me it looks too blurry and at the same time unsharp (too slow computer to record with AF/FSAA).

And it seems I have to use "Motion blur", There's no option to turn it off? http://torttu.net/temp/sony_vegas.jpg ?
Quote from deggis :I just want to say that Sony Vegas 6 is much easier for newbies (like me) to use than than Adobe Premiere Pro. Premiere was for me like trying to read Hebrew, I couldn't even do a simple job with it. Sony Vegas' interface is easier and simplier.

Premiere is actually very straightforward and annoyingly user-friendly, i've tried vegas very briefly and it really doesn't match up to premiere.

Quote from deggis :If someone more pro could comment that in image quality wise... it was resized from 640x480 to 560x248 and deinterlace method was "Blend fields" (what's the difference between it and "Interpolate fields"? I couldn't see a significant difference).

Question is why you're deinterlacing something that's not interlaced?

The two options for deinterlacing probably do basically the same thing, but interpolate would be adaptive and slower whereas blend would use a "fixed" way.

Making LFS Movies!
(561 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG