The online racing simulator
Making LFS Movies!
(561 posts, started )
#26 - d6nn
Ty
ty for the tut. i have done a movie too now but is it normal that when you start recording it then the fps goes like really low and its difficult to drive or you use the replays only ?
Quote from alghotee :After i click on 'Change to [ ] frames per second' and put down the double amount of fps i set Fraps to, i get normal speed of a movie, but the sound doesn't change and stays of 1/2 speed movie, how to i correct this?

If you want to record sound I don't recommend recording at half speed in LFS and changing the frames/second in VirtualDub. I'd suggest recording the replay with sound at normal speed, and then either compress it with VirtualDub and save it - or dont use VirtualDub and take the clip into the editing program rightaway.

If you want to use the clip to be edited into a movie, I'd suggest not compressing it because it will be compressed as a whole movie later on.
If you want to use only the clip without editing more clips, I'd suggest compressing it and saving it.

Quote from WIGGA :I downloaded Lfs movie maker and make a movie but the cuality is very bad how can i change it???

Sorry, I don't know about the LFS Movie Maker. I never used it and I cannot find it quickly at the moment either. Though I'm sure the author of the program has an email adress wich comes with the program, probably under the About or Help menu. So you can ask him/her.

Quote from d6nn :ty for the tut. i have done a movie too now but is it normal that when you start recording it then the fps goes like really low and its difficult to drive or you use the replays only ?

Well, it's alot easier to record replays because you already know what's going to happen in them, but you can record live if you want.
A movie doesnt have to be bigger than 640x480 so you can set the resolution in LFS to 640x480 as well since you dont need more to record (dont forget to set Fraps to record at full size.)
If the FPS still go low while recording, you should check your video and graphics settings in LFS. Enable half texture size for example, or set the LOD sliders to a lower setting.
You can disable Anti-Aliasing to get higher FPS and you can set Anisotrophic filtering to a lower setting in the video card configuration.
Well, maybe read my suggestion for D6nn?
-
(deggis) DELETED by deggis
first of all awesome stuff man thanx alot

my problem is that after i recorded my video (only 20secs) it happens to be 250mb!!!!!! how the hell do i upload this on the net???
Quote from RSK DEMON :first of all awesome stuff man thanx alot

my problem is that after i recorded my video (only 20secs) it happens to be 250mb!!!!!! how the hell do i upload this on the net???

Read the part about encoding in VirtualDub.
i tried that i encode it with videodub and compress it to divx 6 but it wont compress when i tried to save as AVI. it gives me an error.
Quote from (SaM) :A movie doesnt have to be bigger than 640x480 so you can set the resolution in LFS to 640x480 as well since you dont need more to record (dont forget to set Fraps to record at full size.)
If the FPS still go low while recording, you should check your video and graphics settings in LFS. Enable half texture size for example, or set the LOD sliders to a lower setting.
You can disable Anti-Aliasing to get higher FPS and you can set Anisotrophic filtering to a lower setting in the video card configuration.

You might want to try this. Set Fraps to Record at Half Size, and set LFS to 1280x960. This way you get really good Quality, but Fraps only Records at 640x480. Doing it your way, you find that LFS is really Pixeled.

Fordie
Quote from Fordman :You might want to try this. Set Fraps to Record at Half Size, and set LFS to 1280x960. This way you get really good Quality, but Fraps only Records at 640x480. Doing it your way, you find that LFS is really Pixeled.

Fordie

I'm not sure but I think Fraps still records it with 1280x960 but compresses to half-size on-the-fly?
Quote from deggis :I'm not sure but I think Fraps still records it with 1280x960 but compresses to half-size on-the-fly?

Haven't a clue how it works, just know it works
Well why would you set LFS to a high resolution if you're not even using all those pixels. As far as I know, in Half-Size mode Fraps processes every other pixel and then saves them in the fraps codec (almost raw .avi).
If you record it at 640x480 right away, there's no need for post-processing.
But it might work better for you, it does that people experience it varied, so just try what works best.
Quote from (SaM) :
[*]Start up VirtualDub. http://virtualdub.sourceforge.net/. Open the avi file you recorded. Go to Video > Frame rate. Click on Process every other frame and press OK, or click on 'Change to [ ] frames per second' and put down the double amount of fps you set Fraps to. The last option will give the video more fps but you will only notice the difference if you will use slowmotion on this clip in the movie. This is because movies generally dont have more than 30fps.

I don't get this. Are you sure that piece of instruction is OK? When I record at half-size and then I double the FPS I have to use "Change to xx.xxx frames per second" and ALSO "Convert to fps: xx.xxx". Without that converting it does double the fps but it's choppy as hell.
Hi,

I got a few questions;

I recorded some clips, with the resolution of 800 * 600 (6:5). But when I load them into Adobe Premiere, it makes it 720 * 480 (4:3). :/

How can I make Premiere export the clips as 800*600, or at least 6:5?

Oh, and same for FPS. In LFS I record the movies in 20fps. Then I change it to 40 in VirtualDub. But when I load it in Premiere, it makes it 30. :/

Next question;

You probably all know the TV-show TopGear. It uses filters, which makes the corners (and the sky, but this is not very important for me) black.

Like this:

How can I make something simular to that?

I use Virtual Dub and Adobe Premiere.

Thanks.
When you make a new project in Premiere, where you have to enter a title, press the custom tab and choose video for windows. There you can select the desired project video resolution. 800x600 is huge though, are you sure?

And the darkened edges, yeah, I love those, gives movies an authentic look and I decided to find out how to make those myself watching Top Gear as well.
All you gotta do is choose the Image Matte Key effect in the Keying folder. Then you select wich matte image to use. (use one I made or make your own in Photoshop). Then select Matte luma instead of Matte Alpha.
If you dont know how to make your own matte image, just ask. I assume you do.
Attached images
Matte.png
Matte2.png
#41 - Don
when you start premiere, select New project, but dont choose from those presets, but choose "custom settings" and then in "editing mode" choose "Video for Windows", then you can create your own resolution (and dont forget to choose "Square pixel" aspect ratio)

to get black corners you can copy the video to another layer, decrease brightness and apply a mask on it OR another way is to create black corners in photoshop,save it as .psd and then import only the layer with dark corners

EDIT: too late
Attached images
premiere1.gif
premiere2.gif
Quote from deggis :I don't get this. Are you sure that piece of instruction is OK? When I record at half-size and then I double the FPS I have to use "Change to xx.xxx frames per second" and ALSO "Convert to fps: xx.xxx". Without that converting it does double the fps but it's choppy as hell.

That is very strange and that's the first time I heard it. Are you sure it's choppy and it's not because it isnt compressed yet? An uncompressed clip is alot of stress for a CPU to play, wich causes choppy playback. Compress the vid and see if it's still choppy.

What are the original FPS of the clip and what did you change it to and then convert it to?
Wow, fast replies. Thanks SaM and Don.

Quote from (SaM) :When you make a new project in Premiere, where you have to enter a title, press the custom tab and choose video for windows. There you can select the desired project video resolution. 800x600 is huge though, are you sure?

Well, if I knew how to record it as standard DVD resolution I would use that. And I don't want crappy quality.
But maybe you're right. 800*600 is very nice to watch maybe, but if I do 640*480 it will be better for people to download.

Quote from (SaM) :
And the darkened edges, yeah, I love those, gives movies an authentic look and I decided to find out how to make those myself watching Top Gear as well.
All you gotta do is choose the Image Matte Key effect in the Keying folder. Then you select wich matte image to use. (use one I made or make your own in Photoshop). Then select Matte luma instead of Matte Alpha.
If you dont know how to make your own matte image, just ask. I assume you do.

Ah, great. I already wanted to use this in my previous movie. I found a plugin for VirtualDub, but that wasn't with alpha layering, but just a normal layer, so you say the white part as well. Creating an image won't be a problem, but thanks.
Yeah, haha if you want people to download it, dont use 800x600!
Unless of course, the vid is really special and people demand high quality.
People have asked me for a hi-res version of my 'This is S2' vid, but as I didn't make a hi-res version I was unable to help. It might be worth making a hi-res version (say 800*600, or even 1024*768), but not putting that up for general download.
Hmm..

I got that TopGear-thing working now. But the resolution is not right.

I set it to 640*480 in Premiere. Imported a 640*480 clip. But when I exported it, I got a wider screen, with a bar at the top and the bottom of the screen.

The actual resolution of the video is now 640*434. So it's still 4:3 instead of 6:5.
Don't you have to force Premiere to use square pixels with stuff like fraps outputs? That way allows me to make a widescreen project (like 2:1) but without distorting the LFS footage in the background
NO matter what programe you use, make sure your hardware is capable of capturing it. People say, Premier won't do this, Pinnacle wont do that, Fraps is crap.

If you try and capture higher than what your HD can do, then u will always run into trouble.

This is what Fraps recommends, and after some testing myself, I beleive the same.

Everything above 640x480 you need a 10,000rpm HD at least. Now a trick in fraps is, to capture at 1280x960 in LFS but set fraps to capture Half Size, so only capture at 640x480. This is all in the Fraps FAQ, as capturing higher causes frame jumps ( basically it missed a frame when capturing, so it causes a jump in the video )
Quote from tristancliffe :Don't you have to force Premiere to use square pixels with stuff like fraps outputs? That way allows me to make a widescreen project (like 2:1) but without distorting the LFS footage in the background

Stupid me! I didn't put it on square pixels. Don even said it... Hehe, thanks Tristan.

But I'll just make it 640*480 now. If I make it higher res, I will have to resize it for the download, later, but that won't be very good quality I'm afraid. 640*480 is most easy to work with too, although 800*600 wasn't really a problem (system is fast enough).

EDIT: cool, it works perfect now! It looks really amazing, exported uncompressed!
if you use adobe premiere.. then there is alot of nice plugins to check on the internet..

i made my back to the future movies with "borix fx continuum 3 plugin pack"

its good to have plugins

Making LFS Movies!
(561 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG