The online racing simulator
AI is a waste of time, it's true, they suck in every single game. Who wants to race against computers anyway... MP is not perfect but I pretty much doubt it's not good enough for league racing. Even our small hungarian community does regular league races, not to talk about RaceDepartment.
Quote from Keling :Hate doing AI might be acceptable, but hating doing multi? So we're in for a hotlapping sim?

How do you confuse 'hate doing it' and 'not doing it at all'.. They will improve it, but they hate doing it..
Heh, yep, pretty big over reaction there guys :P

All he means is that their passion is with the physics. Nothing wrong with that, doesn't mean that they flat out don't do anything else, they're not 2 year olds Smile
Well, we've seen that their passions is definitely not MP... due to state of it in start - and now.
And how it's done.
And everything about it.
Quote from Töki (HUN) :AI is a waste of time, it's true, they suck in every single game. Who wants to race against computers anyway... MP is not perfect but I pretty much doubt it's not good enough for league racing. Even our small hungarian community does regular league races, not to talk about RaceDepartment.

I think the ai in rf2 can be pretty fun. At least they overtake you and fight for position. In ac the ai is just wasted effort and time tbh. The poor career mode is just the icing on top of the cake. Effortlessly dull and so conservative and old that it almost harms ac more than helps to have it.

I mean in rf2 I can race against 20+ cars in the wet with decently shiny graphics (it's not ac level but who cares about eyecandy!). I can do false starts, rolling starts with warmup lap, have penalties, my fps stays excellent all the time, the ffb is way superior (even kunos has admitted they have issues with the self aligning torques) and the ai doesn't just give me 15 free overtakes into t1. Tbh the more I've played rf2 recently the more I feel ac needs this or that.

With rf2 I can feel the passion towards the game. They are really trying to make something new and revolutionary. With ac the main feeling I'm getting is "this is passable, let's move to the next 15 minute job". And it shows. Everything is in various stages of incompleteness or most of the time completely missing.
Quote from Hyperactive :
With rf2 I can feel the passion towards the game. They are really trying to make something new and revolutionary. With ac the main feeling I'm getting is "this is passable, let's move to the next 15 minute job". And it shows. Everything is in various stages of incompleteness or most of the time completely missing.

I agree with that completely.

The sim market isn't really that competitive, and AC doing so well proves that, imo.
Laser scanned Nordschleife is great to have, kudos to them for that, but they're quite clearly very market-research driven imo. If a box is ticked (Multi, Career, AI, UI etc) then it's on to the next item, and it obviously doesn't take much to get a tick in a box.

I won't bother listing everything I dislike about AC, there's a lot I like too, but the moment I tried their idea of a MP mode I knew I would not be playing it all that much. And I wouldn't mind it being a bit broken if they were trying to innovate or move the game on a bit, but it's really old fashioned by-the-numbers multiplayer and even the basic net-code is questionable imo.
We're different. All I care about is physics and maybe graphics. I mean, it shouldn't look as bad as rF2, like we're stuck in 2000. I don't give a damn about AI, career mode or the lack of MP features personally.

All I want from a game is to have great physics, look kind of good and be able to play it online. That is it. AC has all these for a ridiculous price.
I have so simple needs.

But that's just me. I accept people prefer different features, like AI or career mode.
the next patch 1.2 which is supposed to be a MP dedicated patch (obviously with other things put in that have been done) will be make or break i think..

if they cant get it right now then i cant expect they will in the near future.. if ever tbh.

what do we think this big announcement is then? anyone have any ideas?
@Töki (HUN)

How exactly do you enjoy it on line with bad netcode...

While I won't say AC's current netcode is out right broken, I guess we all agree it's not working well.
Quote from Töki (HUN) :We're different. All I care about is physics and maybe graphics. I mean, it shouldn't look as bad as rF2, like we're stuck in 2000. I don't give a damn about AI, career mode or the lack of MP features personally.

For me it looks like this.
http://oi59.tinypic.com/2ex7dk0.jpg

Quote from Töki (HUN) :All I want from a game is to have great physics, look kind of good and be able to play it online. That is it. AC has all these for a ridiculous price.
I have so simple needs.

But that's just me. I accept people prefer different features, like AI or career mode.

In this day and age almost all the driving games already have good physics. If you simply want good physics then you already have lots of choises. Rf2, ac, some rf1 mods (historix mod is still amazing), iracing and the reiza stuf. I'd even go and say that the simcade stuff (I just hate that word) is pretty decent nowadays. But then when you look at what other games offer in addition to just physics the gap is huge.

Of course it is also a bit unfair comparison as ac is relatively new game with not so much development time behind it (basically netkarnamie, nkpro and then ac). Rf2 is based on over decade of commercially sold versions of the game so they have had the time to add all those features ac is missing.
Finally someone 'gets' how a track should look like on a bright sunny day

This game is slowly turning into Project CARS. Jokes aside, I hope they won't ruin the PC version like most developers do on a cross-platform game.
Quote from Bose321 :This game is slowly turning into Project CARS. Jokes aside, I hope they won't ruin the PC version like most developers do on a cross-platform game.

the gamepad support is already way better than pcars, maybe some UI optimisation and done.
Quote from lfsrm :

the gamepad support is already way better than pcars, maybe some UI optimisation and done.

Then console gamers won't buy it. They think Forza and Gran Turismo are sims.

They dumb it down like PCARS, then console crowd buys.
"It's early to say, but I see no reason why we should wait to update the PC version when the code is ready. It's completely independent. So I guess, PC update whenever needed or we have news, and consoles updates whenever the reviews from MS and Sony allow it.

For contents it might be more complicated depending on the licensor agreements and such. For now, our plans are still PC focus updates of software and contents, at least until the console version is out. Nothing changes on how we've been feeding updates until now.

Dumping physics? Are you kidding me??? Big grin It's our big selling point... and honestly we don't know how to do arcade physics."(c)Aris

Hope it's true
The problem with ac on consoles is that there is no game in ac. It is all about driving the cars. Racing is mostly just an afterthought. Even pcars has some kind of career mode and at least for gran turismos and forzas the career is the main selling point. And ac on consoles without mods...

My main negative is that this will slow down the development of the pc version.
There hasn't been decent AI since GP4.
With console sims, it's not so much as "dumbing" down the physics. Itsr doing what SMS did with PCARS and throwing us aa bunch of controller options we've never heard of. PCARS blows GT and Forza out the window for me, even with a heavily assisted controll scheme. I can't imagine what it feels like with a wheel.
It feels awfull, honestly GT is much better at simming then PCARS.. Can't say i'm jumping with joy with this announcment.
Aris seems to think console users will buy a sim.

They will not ! Even if it's hidden under a layer of crap to make their controller feel ok-ish, proper physics make console users unhappy.

You have to dumb it down so that they are able to drive at all, not to make their controller ok-ish. PCARS with a wheel feels like shit, even on PC.
Quote from PhilS13 :Aris seems to think console users will buy a sim.

They will not ! Even if it's hidden under a layer of crap to make their controller feel ok-ish, proper physics make console users unhappy.

You have to dumb it down so that they are able to drive at all, not to make their controller ok-ish. PCARS with a wheel feels like shit, even on PC.

there is plenty of people playing fine with pad or keyboard in LFS, did scawen dumb the game down for those people?

true they are taking a risk, but who know maybe with their good graphics and ferrari/lambo's they will sell some copies.
I have done 262382 Ml on lfs with a ps3 gamepad and even though I agree it takes away some of the feeling of really driving I got the handling set pretty good with it. If I compare using a gamepad to when I try my wheel then lfs is the easiest to use a gamepad on where I am better with my wheel in a.c
They need to dumb it done enough so that people who know nothing about what they are doing can get away with their gamepads. They need to dumb it down enough so that reviewers who are firm believers of equal rights for gamepads players and call themselves Forza motor sport experts can finally finish a race, hopefully give them a high score later, because, well, you can finish a race in this high quality user-friendly sim.

The people who know the deal and are forced to try certain strategy to adapt to limited hardware (like many LFS players are/were) are not in the target market here.

Scawen didn't dumb the game down because he didn't have to. He knew his customers would find ways to catch up if there's no way around it.

With that said, assuming the assists are toggle-able, there's no reason to get mad.

Kunos Simulazioni - Assetto Corsa
(8871 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG