The online racing simulator
Quote from Keling :Can I say this thread is the LFS community at its best (or worst)?

Both. This is the LFS community at its best: being bad.
What's your issue with it Bose, hardware is not the reason..
Goodness knows I've been fairly critical of ac for many reasons, but the physics are very good. I don't like aspects of the ffb, but really it's hard to find fault with the physics themselves except in a few unusual or extreme situations, or at very low speed where they switch off.

Lfs physics are more rounded and the ffb is too imo, it's more cohesive, more "finished" even if it's not. Lfs is like a world where the physics are slightly different but you're "there". A.c. is probably more accurately depicting the physics of the real world, but I still don't feel that connection with it, probably because of issues like ffb and steering lag, even though I have all but entirely eliminated the latter, now. Certainly enjoyment of a.c is massively dependant on some hard work fine tuning lots of settings.
Quote from Boris Lozac :What's your issue with it Bose, hardware is not the reason..

My issue with what? This game? AC is a fine game.
pfft ... Chris

You should need some help by perceiving what i'm trying to say in the right way..

Anyway AC is great.. best ever..

@ Ingolf:
Yes, it might have much potential. Recently I've driven the first version of LFs again.. they have made some enormous steps.

For me with AC it was the lack of how the car behaved from having grip that transforms to understeer and especially when elevation was involved. It felt like it didn't took much notice of the elevation changes except when there were steaper drops. It felt like the understeer was calculated in instead of occuring more naturally. I used a G27 btw.
Quote from sinbad :...but the physics are very good. I don't like aspects of the ffb,...

Quote from sinbad :Lfs physics are more rounded and the ffb is too imo, it's more cohesive, more "finished" even if it's not. Lfs is like a world where the physics are slightly different but you're "there".

Sorry for just taking out parts of your comment, but those statements (alone) are really important to me as well. I noticed that the ingame options were not enough to get me "there". For example, there's a "Speed sensivity" slider for your controller that starts at 0 and ends at 1 with increments of 0.05. I found that 0.05 is often too much for my liking, but 0 is far to "reactive". So I wished there would be increments of 0.005 (or at least 0.01).

Now this is not very hard to fix by editing the ini-files and save a couple of setups (using for example 0.025, 0.035, 0.040 etc). The same goes for some of the ffb "knobs", so I can only recommend to open notepad and start tweaking away a bit. Perhaps you will find more gold deep down in the basket . Just a tip, if you want to dig deeper in current build.

@danielroelofs: hmm. well that can be an issue with the momentum at slopes (down or up). I feel sometimes I should have a snap grip at Acque Minerale (10) entry and an understeer out, but I can only feel this in the BMW E30. Perhaps the longitudinal transfer (feeling) is not as good as the lateral? Very interesting point.
Quote from Ingolf :Sorry for just taking out parts of your comment, but those statements (alone) are really important to me as well. I noticed that the ingame options were not enough to get me "there". For example, there's a "Speed sensivity" slider for your controller that starts at 0 and ends at 1 with increments of 0.05. I found that 0.05 is often too much for my liking, but 0 is far to "reactive". So I wished there would be increments of 0.005 (or at least 0.01).

Would be nice if we had this feedback in the official forums, but regardless, I've made a note about this. I'll see if we can make it in a smaller update before 0.6, otherwise it'll have to wait until that version is closed.
Yes, I thought I'd post it, but forgot about it since I simply edited the ini-files quite a while ago. I'll make a comment about it right now to see if it's a common wish.
EDIT: Posted
Quote from danielroelofs :
For me with AC it was the lack of how the car behaved from having grip that transforms to understeer and especially when elevation was involved. It felt like it didn't took much notice of the elevation changes except when there were steaper drops. It felt like the understeer was calculated in instead of occuring more naturally. I used a G27 btw.

This flip side to this however is that LFS appears to exaggerate grip changes during elevation transitions, and I always wondered if this was due to a load sensitivity issue (that showed it's head in other instances).

Though I'm almost at the opinion that this is trolling because AC is the only other sim that's ever felt as fluid, and non-mechanical as LFS / nKP.
When the LFS tire update eventually comes out, I wouldn't be surprised if it felt a lot like AC
Quote from Ball Bearing Turbo :I always wondered if this was due to a load sensitivity issue (that showed it's head in other instances).

might be
lfs always allowed me to tweak the cars balance through the arb settings more than any other sim
although that might just be down to the fact that lfs offers a very wide range of arb settings (then again all other sims use completely meaningless numbers for the arb setup so who the **** knows how wide the actual setup range is there)
you know guys i hope devs follow the build of AC because it should really be a wake up point for them,and stop being so selfish with the "its is our project we started for fun and test ourselfs,and we dont want outside help" At the end its all about money isnt it? so start making some new things and let the community help and do mods and make this really good sim a better one or even an Ac beater ! Im sure it would make a hard competitor for AC,but thers no chance now,well really since 2008..
Quote from e2mustang :you know guys i hope devs follow the build of AC because it should really be a wake up point for them,and stop being so selfish with the "its is our project we started for fun and test ourselfs,and we dont want outside help" At the end its all about money isnt it? so start making some new things and let the community help and do mods and make this really good sim a better one or even an Ac beater ! Im sure it would make a hard competitor for AC,but thers no chance now,well really since 2008..

Quote from Scawen :I don't know what AC is. Hope that helps.

Sounds like rage ignorance to me
Quote :
Originally Posted by Scawen View Post
I don't know what AC is. Hope that helps.

It will!!

Is it likely that the only difference between LFS and AC physics is down to the tires?

Aren't the forces at the wheel hub are relatively easy to calculate for a programmer who wants that have that part properly done? A infinitely rigid body, infinitely rigid suspensions links with known geometry and mass at each corner, CG position, dampers and springs...it's a lot of work maybe but it's quite basic mathematics otherwise. Chassis or suspension flex is another game but I don't think we're there yet in both sims. I would bet any serious sim will get the same numbers at the wheel hub.

But then you have the tires and...oh boy... that's a completely different world. I have a headache just thinking about how messed up that world is. Now you can get completely different results.

Of course aero is heavily simplified and will always be IMO but that's ok. It's not supposed to change how an E30 feels.
Quote from PhilS13 :Is it likely that the only difference between LFS and AC physics is down to the tires?

One would really hope so yes.

Quote :Aren't the forces at the wheel hub are relatively easy to calculate for a programmer who wants that have that part properly done? A infinitely rigid body, infinitely rigid suspensions links with known geometry and mass at each corner, CG position, dampers and springs...it's a lot of work maybe but it's quite basic mathematics otherwise. Chassis or suspension flex is another game but I don't think we're there yet in both sims. I would bet any serious sim will get the same numbers at the wheel hub.

Ideally I think that would be right but I don't think it's the case. Too many strange things happen for example in iRacing - I have a hard time thinking cars rolling over in mundane conditions just has to do with tires. Would be interested to hear from someone knowledgeable on the subject (hello Ben or Todd?)
Just a couple problems so far that I'm having.

I cant seem to correct oversteer situations, almost like I cant feel the rear end starting the grip again and end up with snap oversteer.

Also tried the 1M in the drift park, Can't hold a drift worth shit but in LFS I can drift any car in stock setup with ease
Quote from Zac86 :Just a couple problems so far that I'm having.

I cant seem to correct oversteer situations, almost like I cant feel the rear end starting the grip again and end up with snap oversteer.

Also tried the 1M in the drift park, Can't hold a drift worth shit but in LFS I can drift any car in stock setup with ease

Try going into your video card drivers and change max pre-rendered or buffered frames to 1. By default Assetto Corsa asks for the drivers to set the buffer response and the drivers may be defaulted to 3 or more pre rendered frames. Mine was like that and it got easier to control when I changed it. Basically you get faster response.

I have a friend that had a lot of fun drifting witrh the m1 he even can drift with de stock e30
The "I can't recover from oversteer, the physics must be bad" epidemic has finally made its way to AC.
I can oversteer PLENTY! There were some snap back issues with the previous patch, but this one you can do what the hell you want.

IMO this could be down to the issues LFS still has with its tires (that stuff Scawen is on for the last years). In LFS the grip reduction of a slipping tire feels too linear (too much grip in slipping tires, too little in gripping ones at lower speeds etc.), in reality there is more "snap" in it. Combines this snappyness with ACs stock, realistic setups and drifting gets a little harder. All IMO of course!
Quote from Keling :The "I can't recover from oversteer, the physics must be bad" epidemic has finally made its way to AC.

I never said the physics were bad I was just stating that I can't feel the grip coming back while correcting an oversteer situation.

The only real life racing experience I have is with AWD cars so I cant comment on how these RWD cars react to my inputs.

Kunos Simulazioni - Assetto Corsa
(8871 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG