The online racing simulator
We know it's practically dead, so
(147 posts, closed, started )
Quote from dawesdust_12 :!!

Why is this so difficult!

COULDN'T CARE LESS MAKES SENSE

COULD NOT CARE LESS MAKES SENSE

COULD CARE LESS IS A STUPID THING TO SAY AS INFORMING SOMEONE THAT YOU COULD, IF YOU TRIED, ACTUALLY CARE LESS IS A POINTLESS STATEMENT.

I really DON'T care......
Quote from The Moose :Oh dont be so silly. AC surpasses LFS in every aspect. (well, every aspect of the features it currently has) You don't have to be some sort of AC fanboy to recognise that.

This is meant to be an LFS thread, not a AC / RF2 or what ever thread. There is an AC thread already in Off Topic, because regarding LFS it is off topic.

But as you mentioned, AC might be the "nutts" as people put it, but I have heard first hand from a professional "REAL" driver that it does not compare to LFS's feedback / physics or sound.... although as you say, this version of "AC" is work in progress, but then so is LFS

So what's the difference except you need a semi power horse to run AC "I cannot run it, and my PC is no slow coach" hence why I have not purchased it but I can run LFS / GTR2 / Power and Glory / GT Legends on MAX Detail with Triple screens on a 4800x900 res but with AC, I get 15fps with everything turned down and on one single monitor

But anyway, that's my 2 pence

Fordie
Quote from Fordman :[Asseto Corsa] does not compare to LFS's feedback / physics or sound....

I can't speak for the physics, but the FFB is pretty dang good. Sounds like that professional driver played AC on a laptop, because the sound is way better.
Quote from Fordman :
But as you mentioned, AC might be the "nutts" as people put it, but I have heard first hand from a professional "REAL" driver that it does not compare to LFS's feedback / physics or sound....

But there are plenty of reports form "REAL" drivers that say it's as close as it gets to their real cars. So i take every opinion with a large pinch of salt.

FFB is very subjective. I loved LFS, but the FFB in Ac is easily on a par and i would say better. The physics are on another level to anything on the market. And please... AC's sound is far better than LFS. A deaf person could tell you that.

I have no axe to grind with LFS whatsoever. I loved LFS, but it's old news, sims have moved on in all departments.

Here's an interesting thread from a "REAL" driver. Make up your own mind

http://www.assettocorsa.net/fo ... -corsa-vs-real-life.2652/

If you want to continue this discussion, by all means lets take it to the AC thread.
I'm going to go on and still agree with Moose.
- I get that this is supposed to be an LFS topic, but whining for more content is just as useless as comparing the 2 simulators, which actually makes sense at some point. Even for the developers.

- From what I also heard, like Moose, most of the real drivers say AC is actually as close to real as its possible by the current standards and technology. The forcefeedback has more than a Force option, like LFS has. You can set the FFB up the same way as it is in LFS, which I found less realistic in road and kerb feedback. I like the FFB a lot more in AC. The slipping, kerb and road feedback are on top notch, when set up properly.

- I'm not sure if AC needs a "horse" to run. I am having a 5-6 years old PC and I run it on 110 FPS, all on low graphics with a few FPS spikes, but I guess that will be fixed in the actual version. Just cause it isn't outdated **** from 2002 running DX8 or something, and hence your PC not being able to run it properly, that means you need an upgrade. Finally developers found out that stoneage PCs shouldn't bottleneck a project in any form. I'm on the side of improving, regardless of that small percent of people.
AC is good. Reminds me of LFS . Graphics (and all those anticipated dynamic bling effects) are not so great, but the driving is... well LFSish. In other words brilliant!

There's plenty of satisfied real pilots testing and letting people know the "spot on" and the "not so spot on"... I can only speak for the BMW E30, which feels scaringly much like my 323i I once had (although missing some horses ).

Will AC set the new standard? Will it be the fundamental platform to build your armchair racing experience upon? Maybe, unless LFS pulls off some more magic . The future of simracing community looks bright, LFS + pCARS + AC, what more can we ask for?

EDIT: (me too being sorry for being off topic) I've got an old PC-donkey but it runs flawlessly at ~100fps (I actually restricted the render to 60fps in order to configure my IN/OUT peripherals). But since there's no MP in early-access, I could not really tell what will happen with a dozen more cars in view...
Well, I guess having tons of cars in front and even the virtual mirror will probably eat lots of FPS. I'm definiately sure there will be more optimization before releasing the Multiplayer or the AI, so I wouldn't worry more about that.
Gave it a run on a 7 year computer on triple monitors. Felt silk smooth. Not sure where this "you need a $23000 computer to play it" comes from. Feels like something I would've expected from LFS's S3 & Physics updates. Maybe LFS's spirit lives on in AC
I recon that Scrawen is going for a new world record, currently held by Duke Nukem.
"Most protracted game development
Originally announced on 28 April 1997 with a release date of mid-1998, Duke Nukem Forever has now famously been in development for over eleven years spanning two millennia and beating the previous longest production cycle held by Prey. During development, the world has witnessed Britney Spears' entire musical career, the filming and release of all three Star Wars prequel movies and the entire Harry Potter series of books and five movies."
http://www.computerandvideogam ... eat-gaming-world-records/
It took another two years after that for the game to be released.

So, quick bit of math, the final version will be due sometime after 24 June 2020.
Plus whatever is added to really nail the record. :feedtroll
If so, I'll have enough time to get tired of AC before LFS S3 gets released then.
A few days ago I drove a couple of laps and remembered why I don't drive LFS that much anymore. I guess somewhere around 2005-2006 maybe, anyway a long time ago Scaven introduced this sharp bouncing movement to the viewport I guess to simulate the road bumbs and what not. It made it really hard to keep your eye focused to the apexes as the screen was juddering all over.

While I can dial in zero to the G-force movements it doesn't stop the world/horizon from juddering/bouncing/chattering. My eyes can't compensate for the quick movement.

IRL if you drive through cobblestone streets whatnot the car make shake but the horizon is still perfectly calm for me, it's really jarring effect. Maybe the revived older version still works with triple screens and doesn't have the pseudo bounce movement for the world....

edit: aah, the good old S1H7, the car jumps around the view quite heavily by the affected G-forces but the horizon stays calm. Now how can I get a similar setup in the current S2 version?
(I know, wrong thread for this but it seems the forum is quiet nowadays so noone is going to be reading the support forum...)
All of a suddent Scawen came back to announce new work...a couple of tracks and 3d support?....all i can say is : Too little, too late!

AC is good, and they know it! And now there is very little to do about it, isnt that right Mr Scawen? We did complain, and beg, and cryed, and rant for years with no feedback at all....so now, you can finally get ready for the consequences.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MikRS_EEGcQ
Quote from aaltomar :A few days ago I drove a couple of laps and remembered why I don't drive LFS that much anymore. I guess somewhere around 2005-2006 maybe, anyway a long time ago Scaven introduced this sharp bouncing movement to the viewport I guess to simulate the road bumbs and what not. It made it really hard to keep your eye focused to the apexes as the screen was juddering all over.

While I can dial in zero to the G-force movements it doesn't stop the world/horizon from juddering/bouncing/chattering. My eyes can't compensate for the quick movement.

IRL if you drive through cobblestone streets whatnot the car make shake but the horizon is still perfectly calm for me, it's really jarring effect. Maybe the revived older version still works with triple screens and doesn't have the pseudo bounce movement for the world....

edit: aah, the good old S1H7, the car jumps around the view quite heavily by the affected G-forces but the horizon stays calm. Now how can I get a similar setup in the current S2 version?
(I know, wrong thread for this but it seems the forum is quiet nowadays so noone is going to be reading the support forum...)

View options – 1g head tilt, 1g forward shift, 1g lateral shift, 1g vertical shift – just put all sliders to the left.

That's a bit strange to see that the reason why you don't drive LFS much is because of this option that can be turned off. :|
Quote from JBiturbo :AC is good, and they know it! And now there is very little to do about it, isnt that right Mr Scawen?

I don't know what AC is. Hope that helps.
Quote from Scawen :I don't know what AC is. Hope that helps.

Air Conditioning. I guess it's not really that useful in the cold British summers though
Quote from aaltomar :...anyway a long time ago Scaven introduced this sharp bouncing movement to the viewport I guess to simulate the road bumbs and what not. It made it really hard to keep your eye focused to the apexes as the screen was juddering all over.

As Flame says, that sounds like the 1g head tilt view option. You can set it as low as zero.
Quote from dawesdust_12 :Air Conditioning. I guess it's not really that useful in the cold British summers though

Isn't it Auto Clutch?
I don't care how good Assetto Corsa or anything else is. I'll happily pay for and play it and other sims, but I have a connection with lfs and how it feels, and imo only a fool would ignore anything that "Mr Scawen" offers up.
Quote from Flame CZE :View options – 1g head tilt, 1g forward shift, 1g lateral shift, 1g vertical shift – just put all sliders to the left.

That's a bit strange to see that the reason why you don't drive LFS much is because of this option that can be turned off. :|

I wrote that I did turn all those down and it doesn't really help. I don't mind the car moving in the viewport, but I'd rather be without the microstutters in the horizon/road/world... (it's not the framerate, makes no difference even if the fps stay constant say 83 or 100 (60Hz screens).

Edit: Thanks for answering Scawen, I'm pretty sure I've tried turning all the sliders down that affect movement but I'll try again.
It's definitely that, had the same problem at some point, especially on Fern Bay.

I can't help but add some colour to this thread. I started playing LFS in 2003 and I LOVED IT. The potential for this game was huge. For me it's nothing to do with powerful and complex graphics, accurate physics or content. But what makes this sim so amazing is the ability to simulate racing situations. In 2003 I was able to race with tens of other cars, be able to accurately late brake into an apex, overtake using psychological driving as much as real road holding talent. In short, LFS consumed many, many hours of time and I fell in love.

Before I go on, let me bullet point some credentials just so those who might flame me, get some perspective on where I'm coming from.
  • I've been in software development since 1996. I've worked for Dell, Microsoft, Oracle and I'm currently a product manager who leads the development of a software solution with a good chunk of developers.
  • I worked in the games industry, first for Domark and then for Eidos. I experienced the nightmare of poor management in the games industry and ultimately left to join a more mature enterprise software world.
  • I've raced cars. I started rallying with my cousin in small events around Lincolnshire, England. Then I did a few endurance races and then finally decided to have a go at drifting and built a drift car from the ground up (and ended up writing for a magazine in the process)
  • I've played a fair chunk of racing games on both PC and consoles.
So it pains me to the core that LFS has seen such horrible development. The potential was huge. 5-6 years ago I raced daily and had made some great friends through LFS. The old CTRA racing system (mostly run by Sam) was absolutely fantastic. LFS is great, but it's nowhere near what it could be.

Sure the current version is still a great blast and those who complain they didn't get what they paid for, are plain wrong. LFS has been the best money in games I've ever paid for. But that still doesn't detract from the feeling of pity towards the community who were hoping, praying for more.

Clearly the developers don't have the time to dedicate to the solution. That is a real shame. But they also don't have the acumen to take advantage of the dedicated community the game has accrued. If the devs need more money, then charge a monthly subscription and in return deliver some new content. I would absolutely pay a reasonable amount a month if I knew there was going to be a new track in the next 3 months. Many people have cried out asking to provide help, only to be ignored. If people are TRYING to help you, and you are struggling financially to progress the game, then you gotta find a way to work it out.

But unfortunately LFS has just barely limped along. Surviving only on it's fantastic initial development. Heck, if Scawen is spending so much time on these new physics, there is a massive risk he screws up the "feel" that so many people love this game for. Instead, invest the time in delivering what people REALLY want. That is content, content, content... new tracks, cars, gameplay features.

I hate to write such a long and negative post. And I would love NOTHING more than to see S3 or a new track or SOMETHING released soon. But that hope is dead. LFS is great, but its potential has never been realized. That makes me sad
I think the potential was always realized, but not exploited by the developers. The monthly subscription would've worked back about 4 years ago when the community was expanding the most. Now its a lackluster, I don't think many people would love the iPaying route that LFS would take with the monthly subscription.
Quote from sinbad :I don't care how good Assetto Corsa or anything else is. I'll happily pay for and play it and other sims, but I have a connection with lfs and how it feels, and imo only a fool would ignore anything that "Mr Scawen" offers up.

Im glad that my post urged Mr Scawen to a quick, tip of the tongue, awswer . Would have been happier if you did it years ago when "i" asked about the scirroco and rockingham, or some years after that about the tyre physics, sir.

I loved LFS for many years and i have a special place in my soul for it. I payed for it and got more then enough for my money!! Im just moving on, and saying that even if S3 comes out, i doubt i'll buy it. If AC ( Assetto Corsa, for the layman ) delivers the "goods" in multiplayer as it does in single player, why would i ?
This thread is closed

We know it's practically dead, so
(147 posts, closed, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG