The online racing simulator
Kunos Simulazioni - Assetto Corsa
(8883 posts, started )
Why would a F40 have those though...
K, did some testing. There does seem to be some kind of aid for keyboard users that reduces your throttle to about 80% if you get lots of wheelspin. on a wheel there is no such aid or it is not shown in the pedal app. In both cases I had turned all aids off except autoclutch.

I tried my own jag and the 312t. On keyboard when doing a burnout from standing start or from 120kph the throttle is cut to 80% or so. Because it happens at higher speeds it is not the slow speed physics issue. With wheel and just autoclutch on the throttle pedal app showed no shehanigans.
I guess it's one of the things they added for keyboard players. A shitty unrealistic control method is hardly going to be a realistic and unfettered experience. If they truly allowed digital inputs for steering, throttle, brake and clutch then it would be pretty rubbish.

At first I didn't realise this was a complaint by someone using an inappropriate controller, but now I have, I care even less about his opinion.
Quote from tristancliffe :I guess it's one of the things they added for keyboard players. A shitty unrealistic control method is hardly going to be a realistic and unfettered experience. If they truly allowed digital inputs for steering, throttle, brake and clutch then it would be pretty rubbish.

At first I didn't realise this was a complaint by someone using an inappropriate controller, but now I have, I care even less about his opinion.

lol, inappropriate, in LFS and other games mouse and keys are just fine :P
Come on cargame S2 sometimes, I'll show you how appropriate it is There were and maybe still are even WRs in LFS with mouse and keys. It's hardly an inappropriate method of control, it is very much usable plus you don't have to move and mount a wheel every time you want to play.

tristancliffe: I think it's from the transmission but there sure are cars that have it linked to front wheels instead like WV Beetle.

Hyperactive: yeah that seems to be the hidden assistants
@JackCY
Use a control proxy to fake an analog input to get rid of the assist, and enjoy.

I do agree that such hidden assist sucks.

BTW, AC uses two layers of assists. The first layer which is shown to be off in your post is the normal assist function which filters your input channels. The second layer is the car-specific assist layer which is intended to simulate real digital assist functions on the car, and might be able to recreate the behavior of certain active systems realistically. It's actually a pretty nice design, but can be confusing for people used to other sims that mix them. It looks like the first layer is forced to be partly on when keyboard is used.
Thanks, I know, I will do that if Kunos doesn't fix it. At least I hope it is still possible because most of the emulation tools seemed kind of old and I'm not sure how well they will work on Win8.1 x64.
For a sim racing game though I expect to not have hidden assistants in it at all/be able to turn assists off. rFactor had plethora of assistants but they could be easily turned off.
Quote from JackCY :Thanks, I know, I will do that if Kunos doesn't fix it. At least I hope it is still possible because most of the emulation tools seemed kind of old and I'm not sure how well they will work on Win8.1 x64.
For a sim racing game though I expect to not have hidden assistants in it at all/be able to turn assists off. rFactor had plethora of assistants but they could be easily turned off.

hey you are trying to play a sim in unrealistic way, if LFS or rF have proper mouse support it doesnt mean that two are more realistic, you can't complain about hidden assist because this is a sim and a sim are made to be driven with proper stuffs, you are lucky enough that kunos have some sort of mouse support so you can test the game with your mouse, but you can't judge a sim with it.

there is a fast people playing with mouse in lfs, and personally i was mouse user in the past, I think lfs have some physics flaw ( like other sim ) and those flaws help me a lot to catch some wheel users, but that require very unrealistic driving style to be fast with mouse, maybe that will change with physics update.
One page about someone complaining that keyboard and mouse driving are not SIM enough ??? Is this for real?
Quote from JackCY :...There were and maybe still are even WRs in LFS with mouse and keys. It's hardly an inappropriate method of control, it is very much usable plus you don't have to move and mount a wheel every time you want to play...

Are you trying to convince anyone that a mouse and a keyboard is the best combo for playing racing sims?
No, I was explaining to those who didn't know that yes AC has hidden assistants that can't be turned off at the moment. But it's sort of like explaining to religious fanatics who believe that earth is flat that it's actually round.

I don't care about what anyone chooses to use as control but apparently some people can't stomach that someone can use mouse and keys to control a car in a game.
Quote from JackCY :
I don't care about what anyone chooses to use as control but apparently some people can't stomach that someone can use mouse and keys to control a car in a game.

No, people can't stomach that you're bashing a sim based on MOUSE driving.
It has hidden assistance for MOUSE and KEYBOARD, underline it cause someone could misread that.
Get a freakin wheel, if you're into simming then it's a must have, it costs just the same as one of those gaming mice.

Btw, still hating this new forum.. Where the hell is multi-quote.

To be a bit on topic, me having fun in a Monaco conversion. Honestly, good enough..

Quote from Boris Lozac :
Quote from JackCY :

No, people can't stomach that you're bashing a sim based on MOUSE driving.
It has hidden assistance for MOUSE and KEYBOARD, underline it cause someone could misread that.
Get a freakin wheel, if you're into simming then it's a must have, it costs just the same as one of those gaming mice.

To be a bit on topic, me having fun in a Monaco conversion. Honestly, good enough..

I dunno how you reckon a gaming mouse is the same cost as a wheel. A decent wheel is $300, where a decent gaming mouse is like $80
I was talking of the likes of DFGT.. which is a great wheel.
I think it is fair to say that the hidden aids for keyboard users is shitty move from kunos. If I want to turn off all aids but the game still forces you to use some aids then that's just plain wrong. That is what happens on consoles but should not happen on pc.

As for bashing keyboard users. You all, we all, started sim racing with keyboard. No point getting on your high horse. It is a valid complaint if the game forces aids on you no matter if you use a keyboard, violin or the pitch of your voice to control the car. It's still wrong to force aids on anyone.
Then again, was it 'proven' that LFS doesn't have assists for mouse, in a different way? Shouldn't it be impossible to make WR's with it completely unassisted? If countersteering with a wheel is slow as Jack pointed it, why is it even possible with a mouse..
Quote from Boris Lozac :Then again, was it 'proven' that LFS doesn't have assists for mouse, in a different way? Shouldn't it be impossible to make WR's with it completely unassisted? If countersteering with a wheel is slow as Jack pointed it, why is it even possible with a mouse..

It's easily proven with a controller proxy/emulator.

Why do you think it's not possible to countersteer with a mouse?
Quote from Hyperactive :I think it is fair to say that the hidden aids for keyboard users is shitty move from kunos..

You guys are lucky that it is even supported, this is what you would get if I was a sim developer

Quote from Boris Lozac :

If this is what you mean:
- Select the posts you want to quote in the top right corner.
- At the bottom of the page, besides the quick reply input on the right, "Quote selected" is already selected, so click the Go button.
Quote from Keling :

Gonna reprhase that, shouldn't it be harder and more punishing with a mouse? You can't say there are no assists there in some form, sensitivity and whatnot.

Quote from Flame CZE :
If this is what you mean:
- Select the posts you want to quote in the top right corner.
- At the bottom of the page, besides the quick reply input on the right, "Quote selected" is already selected, so click the Go button.

Thanks Flame, it's so intuitive! (not :P ). And it still quoutes my post within your post.. have to delete it manually.
Quote from NitroNitrous :
Quote from Hyperactive :I think it is fair to say that the hidden aids for keyboard users is shitty move from kunos..

You guys are lucky that it is even supported, this is what you would get if I was a sim developer

I'd add 5dof motion rig, replace the monitors with 4k virtual goggles and also add a requirement for valid driving license and another requirement for at least two full seasons of real racing experince at least national F3 level. But I would still force driving aids on you.
Quote from Boris Lozac :
Quote from Keling :

Gonna reprhase that, shouldn't it be harder and more punishing with a mouse? You can't say there are no assists there in some form, sensitivity and whatnot.

Yes, it is, which is why we don't see mouse WRs very often, and the ones we do see are usually on low power cars, where everything is happening slower, cornering speed is more stable, and digital pedals are less of an issue.

By "assists" do you mean some sneaky code in the LFS software that secretly turn on a hand-holding function when mouse/keyboard is used, or just mouse users having some advantage in general due to the way mouse control works?
Quote :

No 6DoF unlimited Z rotation motion platform requirement? This so-called sim is so arcady!
Lotus 49 is very fun. Some of the spa kerbs feel kinda broken (like on lots of tracks).
Lotus 49 feels completely dead to me, i imagine it would be tearing my arms apart in real life, but here it's like there's no force feedback.

Btw, new version of Paul Ricard (0.41) and E30.. sim heaven.
No ffb in the 49? Why would it tear your arms apart? It has low grip radial tires, no downforce at all, just lift. In other words the steering should be relatively light and very communicative.

Kunos Simulazioni - Assetto Corsa
(8883 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG