The online racing simulator
Kunos Simulazioni - Assetto Corsa
(8883 posts, started )
If only someone, or Kunos, could concentrate all that info somewhere. I don't have the time and patience to scan all sub forums for stuff I might need to know.

Not so much problems, I'm just tinkering and unsure if everything is alright. Just had a testrun, and my last earo tweaks seem to have made a difference. I can only guess what downforce my car had, sort of 150% of a normal 996 Cup, but as always its hard to find real world values, as in numbers, not "3° more wing = drives better".

Suspension is the same, front is 99% as it was on the real Turbo now, rear axle was Multilink, I fabricated a DWB that sort of works. Spring and Damper values again from 996 Cup cars, but as my car was 200+ kg heavier, and different CoG (due to AWD system), again lots of trail and error.

One guy from the forum tests for me (but has no idea of modding himself), he was faster than Kunos GT3 cars on Spa, but slower on the Nür GP, so I'm sort of heading in the right direction I guess. That was before my last change of aero tho, the one that I just tried to correct...
Well if you have zinio account you could go browse some of the older race car engineering magazines. Sometimes they have pretty in-depth analysisesses of some cars. I'd imagine some of the porsche analysaissons could be useful. (analyses?)
Just did a 2:19 in Spa (800 bhp setting), real world GT3s do it in 2:24, so I can't be that far of :P

and a 6:49 on Snoopys Nord
Barbagallo is amazing..

Hi,

trying AC again, bought somewhere almost last year but the functionality outright sucked backed then.
Now it has mouse support and multiplayer even though it's pretty dodgy, can't setup clutch... can't setup mouse buttons... multiplayer is something like LFS demo madness on steroids...

First driving impressions from AC on proper PC and mouse are: "Arcade Corsa" :/
That about sums it up unfortunately. Floaty, the tyre grip is weird and hard to predict, suspension is either too soft or it acts strange, sort of can't feel the balance but then when I go over a curb in a corner it starts to go up/down as it lands that's about the only time I can notice oh hey it does have suspension
I found rFactor similar in handling but a little harder to control. In AC driving overpowered cars seems to be no problem, TC off, SC off.

Setuping, awful, not easy to navigate, can't find a place to send/receive setups, nor a web database of them, anyone know of one? I've tried changes but they are hard to notice unlike in LFS where small changes are noticeable more easily.
Setup values don't always seem realistic and appear to be even: 0 or 1 for setting something, which is plain weird and provides no info about what change it does, instead of listing say 50 or 70 kN (realistic value with realistic units) it just says 0 or 1...

Multiplayer (beta), took 5 tries when I was first connecting to get on a server and not get kicked for some unknown reason right away or get the checksum bug.

Collisions, haven't seen worse? LFS has poor collisions, but AC beats it lol. As illustrated already in GIFs here haha. Bouncy collisions, lags and all that jazz.

For mods quickly I found racedepartment I think, any sites that collect mods/tracks/cars/setups? Is there an official database for these or is it the usual rFactor like madness?

Graphic options... well turning off the postprocessing helps to bring back clarity as the PP is not very adjustable in game and blurs most of the image with effects DoF/bloom/HDR/..., it is better adjustable in config files than in game. Sure looks "nice" for videos/screenshotsm but it's not so great to have the image blurred and HDRed for racing. Found some custom normalized preset that seems to recover the blacks that kind of get lost with the default presets. Any good post processing presets around to download? Too bad one really can't change this easily in the GUI, all the parameters of the effects, especially while in game, not while in the separate menu program :/ Yeah, it's just weird they still keep it separate, the menu and the actual game.

Is there a WR database with replays & setups that is valid?
I know there is this one:
http://www.radiators-champ.com/RSRLiveTiming/index.php?page=world_records

but it doesn't seem valid to me and there are some ridiculous error times too in it. No idea if it offers replays or setups, couldn't find them easily.

The penalty system if turned ON is ridiculous and annoying. The game taking control of a car is as well. Clutch handling is pretty bad and can't setup clutch to a button to fix it manually when needed.
No ready check before race start ==> half the cars on grid are still ==> crashes.
After race the car goes to autopilot, screen turns gray, teleported to pits, WTF, results are shown, then again it goes gray etc. During race questions pop up all the time for restarting and kicking people, something that can be disabled easily in LFS.
Couldn't find what helpers are turned on on various servers before joining them.
Custom tracks and cars that are hard to find are also pretty neat obstacle for online gaming. If it would at least provide a description of the server with required mods and where to get them

Overall, I find the steering is pretty unresponsive at times, in LFS I would already crash but in AC no problem still going fine.

Sounds, some are good but some make me laugh, the tyre squeals can be weird at times.

No latency limit on servers... ==> total madness.
Cars jumping around track, then going out of track only to be respawn behind you and crash you...
Tracks, talking about stock ones, not mods, are buggy, sometimes hitting the side of the road means falling through into infinite space and session automatically restarts. Sometimes there is no wall or protection on the side of the track yet there is an invisible wall WTF Just let me fall down on a hill climb, I don't want invisible walls right next to the tarmac limiting me.

Brakes are funny, a year ago the cars liked to pull to one side, now not really. With ABS the brakes are sometimes almost nonexistent :| It's sort of a feeling: is it braking? or should I go Flinstone and stop with my feet through the floor?

For mods it would be nice if they were somehow distinguishable from original content, either have a small mark or have their own subsection when selecting cars/tracks.

Too bad LFS devs can't make S3, would have gladly bought S3 instead of AC. Guess I will drive Blackwood in AC then :P
"Confessions from a LFS mouse driver - Chapter 1"
Quote from Boris Lozac :"Confessions from a LFS mouse driver - Chapter 1"

hahaha what a waste of time reviewing simulation with mouse.
So they said with LFS
And it turned out that wheel is not really needed.
The wheel force feedback I have seen in games was far from good, rather annoying. Sure pedals are great. Doing fast contra and fast steering with FF on wheel, dream about it

The setups in AC seem soft that's why it feels rather floaty with some cars.
Setup my FOV properly to match what I'm used to, a little better too.

Am getting some crazy stutter on Nordscheilfe (snoopy 1.1) while online, for like 3s it stutters as hell randomly or maybe it's the same point of track but hard to tell. FPS also drops in Fraps to 50-60fps otherwise it's around 100fps. Dunno what's the issue, didn't get it yesterday. Moved to SSD from HDD, no difference at all. I don't think it's bottlenecking. For LFS moving to SSD helps since it has silly disk access while in race that causes similar stuff on HDD, just 10 times less severe, more like a single lag when it loads a skin or something I think.

Again on a different track but a lot less right when someone disconnected or connected. They do have things to polish in the multiplayer for sure.
:| all my controls got reset. Game now maxes my CPU out. Disappointing.
Quote from Bmxtwins ::| all my controls got reset. Game now maxes my CPU out. Disappointing.

It's disappointing that you have a bad computer?

Do you go to a restaurant and complain because you showed up with a headache?
Don't need to have a bad computer to be easily maxed out by cpu in ac. With i5 4440 I get easily that cpu warning if I try to race too many ai.
I still get stuttering sometimes, doesn't matter what track or car or anything, it is during online race usually. Last time it did with 458 GT2 on Spa.

Still can't figure out how to save online race replays, sure I've seen qualify or some such but not race and after it restarts to qualify after race that temporary replay file is the qualification..

I hoped they added more things in a year but it seems like not much.

Currently looking for mods because the bare game doesn't do much yet. Basic things missing.
Quote from Hyperactive :Don't need to have a bad computer to be easily maxed out by cpu in ac. With i5 4440 I get easily that cpu warning if I try to race too many ai.

Ray didn't use ai. just sp practice. It just seems like his athlon isn't good enough.
He should be happy that his AMD CPU didn't catch on fire.
Quote from Bose321 :He should be happy that his AMD CPU didn't catch on fire.

I'm more surprised that his parents haven't shut his computer off for the 3kW PSU that his AMD CPU requires (to still run 4 times slower than a i5)
how old are we again, guys?

regarding CPUs, I still only have an Phenom II X2, and never got the dreaded CPU Warning. if AC lags its always down to graphic card (Simtraxx Pikes Peak and Post Processing = 2 fps at starting area)
With AI, 23 opponents, maximum difficulty, easy and CPU is around 60-65% total usage, maximum single core usage around 80-85%. Comparing to playing online I don't see a difference when using AI in terms of CPU usage.

---

So far I have renamed it to Arcade Corsa until they remove the hidden assistants that probably still can't be turned off If anyone knows how let me know pls. I'm not talking about the user assistants that can be setup in the launcher but the assistants hidden by Kunos in the game, notably they are from my experience a less aggressive version of TC, ABS that's 100% and can be seen on the Kunos pedals app too when they get applied. But also it seems to me sometimes there is a hidden SC as well. Maybe these hidden assistants don't get used when using a wheel/gamepad/some other controller but they are 100% there when using a keyboard and mouse. Disappointed, AC = NFS As said before even easier to drive than rFactor.
I hope they allow us to turn these hidden assistant off soon.

Until then, it's still only LFS and probably rFactor that can turn all assistants off.
Quote from ACCAkut :how old are we again, guys?

regarding CPUs, I still only have an Phenom II X2, and never got the dreaded CPU Warning. if AC lags its always down to graphic card (Simtraxx Pikes Peak and Post Processing = 2 fps at starting area)

Phenom II X3 here that can do a whole race with that warning on screen
Though it is true that is shown when 4+ AI cars are loaded and not an usual thing on multiplayer races. Anyway, I refuse to play much while I have to run it very minimum graphic settings due to my card, but the game (when they don't screw an update) runs fine.
Quote from JackCY :With AI, 23 opponents, maximum difficulty, easy and CPU is around 60-65% total usage, maximum single core usage around 80-85%. Comparing to playing online I don't see a difference when using AI in terms of CPU usage.

---

So far I have renamed it to Arcade Corsa until they remove the hidden assistants that probably still can't be turned off If anyone knows how let me know pls. I'm not talking about the user assistants that can be setup in the launcher but the assistants hidden by Kunos in the game, notably they are from my experience a less aggressive version of TC, ABS that's 100% and can be seen on the Kunos pedals app too when they get applied. But also it seems to me sometimes there is a hidden SC as well. Maybe these hidden assistants don't get used when using a wheel/gamepad/some other controller but they are 100% there when using a keyboard and mouse. Disappointed, AC = NFS As said before even easier to drive than rFactor.
I hope they allow us to turn these hidden assistant off soon.

Until then, it's still only LFS and probably rFactor that can turn all assistants off.

If you can show it/prove on a video then make a video about it. Even better, you can compare your "video evidence" to telemetry to show there is a difference. Just go do it. Shoo, off you go. Videos making nomnomnom!
Screw facts, yay conjecture!
Hyperactive: video about what? The hidden assistants or AI not being crazy on my CPU?

The hidden assistants are known, just not something they share on the front page when they try to market it as a sim but they did admit to it on their forum that they force assistants on keyboard and mouse. I can't say if they force them on wheels and pedals too since I don't have a wheel/pedals or a virtual one here right now.
But I can find people complaining about TC mostly as that one is the most annoying of these hidden assistants. There is hidden ABS for sure as well, and I believe even a bit of SC.

If you want a video of it, they are on YouTube already.
It is known. Have I heard that somewhere. Yes, it was in that tv show about fantasy. You know, fantasy, in other words not real?

Video about the:
Quote from JackCY :the assistants hidden by Kunos in the game, notably they are from my experience a less aggressive version of TC, ABS that's 100% and can be seen on the Kunos pedals app too when they get applied.

Those things.

Spoiler - click to revealI still give you props for that got reference *nods*
Start AC, set controls to mouse + keyboard, select practice, select custom profile and set TC, ABS, SC off.
Now take a rear happy car with a decent power. Start.
Open pedals app, the one that shows you the bars clutch blue, brake red, gas green and FF gray.
Step on gas anywhere on track even in pits, let it rev in neutral all the way up and hold gas, look at the gas in the pedals app, drop in first gear and you will see the gas is suddenly not applied to max but only to about 60-70% as the hidden TC kicks in. The same happens if you drift the hidden TC will kick in.
Now if you brake heavily with a car that has strong brakes the red bar will jump up and down and brakes don't get applied 100%, sure the wheels may be already locking up quite a bit but there is still a hidden ABS. If you have hard time to notice it, try braking on grass or while spinning or even when standing still it doesn't apply brake to max.

Unfortunately they have so far ignored this with: "as designed". So yeah, it's designed as arcade with assistants :/
I'll try make a video maybe because it's really boring to explain it to people over and over again who simply do not want to believe because they never did much racing with mouse and keyboard.

This is my setting:

This is full gas (key pressed) with wheels spinning, you can see that gas doesn't get applied to full because a hidden assistant is reducing it.

Same thing with brake, key pressed and car is still yet a hidden assistant is reducing applied brake force, this of course happens when braking into corners as well etc.

---

Ok just from the screenshot I see another bug, the speedometer doesn't show true wheel speed so when wheels are spinning but car is standing the speed is zero instead of the true wheel speed say 60-80km/h when torturing the 1st gear.
Wheel speed, when derived mechanically, is often on the undriven wheels. So burnouts show zero speed.

Turning off assists in the menu turns off the extra assists. But a car with ABS and TC still has ABS and TC unless you turn them off on the car itself. Just like if you don't like ABS in real life, but you a drive a car with ABS you still have ABS.

Kunos Simulazioni - Assetto Corsa
(8883 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG