The online racing simulator
Don't be a hipster
New Purchase
Took advantage of the sale weekend and purchased a copy for £20.
Waiting on a graphics card arriving today so have not tried it yet.
Visited this thread a few times and noticed there were a lot of specific settings you guys talked about, especially wheel and gfx options. At nearly 5000 posts I'll have a hard time searchingAny chance of a list of major tweaks?
Quote from Hotdogxx60 :Steam going under is a good example of losing your account even though it maybe remote.

That's not what I'm saying. The license to play the game is above any user account on any online service. If Steam (or any other service) goes under, you retain all the rights you purchased. Steam legally has to allow you to continue playing the game.

Check out the full text of a license agreement next time you install a game, it's very illuminating as to how exactly it all works. For instance, when Direct2Drive shut down, everyone got transfer codes or account transfers for Gamefly (who ended up buying the infrastructure anyway). When OnLive shut down temporarily, they gave folks the option of getting a refund on any content or just waiting for the service to come back (I seem to recall it was down for a couple months while they relaunched).

You won't ever lose the content licensest you buy on Steam, ever. Even if they go kaput.
Huayra this friday.
.hooyah
But if Steam/Valve cease trading, how are you expecting to get 'what you own'?
Quote from tristancliffe :But if Steam/Valve cease trading, how are you expecting to get 'what you own'?

If a games DRM servers go down (like GFWL did), how are you supposed to activate your software?

the GFWL thing is actually quite amusing (terrible) because most of the games that integrated it required it for saving, so GTA4 doens't even work for saving because of GFWL being killed.

Some games (Batman Arkham Asylum) have gone and re-released on Steam (free for previous owners) a non-GFWL version, but some never will and will be broken forever.

At this point, the idea of "licensing" your games has never been stronger. It's about being smart enough to not purchase from services that are likely to cease to exist. I think it's pretty safe at this point that it would take a HUGE event for Steam to go out of business, and I'm sure (considering all of their other wise choises) that they do have an exit strategy in the unlikely case that it happens.
Operate Steam in offline mode, in the short term. You would only have to worry about it when you need to get a new PC, change your hardrive etc.

Having said that, businesses with that many customers rarely just close the doors and everything ceases to exist. The platform itself is an asset, so someone would buy it (for a song) and allow it to continue operating. It would be an ideal crowdfunding opportunity.

It's the same with many other companies. What happens if Costa Coffee goes bust? How will I redeem my "Buy 5 coffees get the 6th free voucher"? I own that coffee! What about football / theatre / cinema / gig tickets bought in advance?
I am really getting into this lovely driving simulator. But I do find catching oversteer an absolute bugger. Even in cars like the e30 where you should be able to balance the oversteer it's a night mare to catch, and then you've got the pendulum effect and around she goes. It makes the f40 virtually un drivable.

Is that just me? Is it known about? Have I got really shit setttings? (Yes, the last one was rhetorical).

I've been playing around with the car settings in the pits (rear toe in, camber etc etc.) and that makes a difference, but having come from LFS at least you had a chance to catch oversteer if set up right. In this game you just don't get that chance. Or at least thats how it feels to me. I'm sure it's been discussed already, but as a previous poster has noted, you guys have clocked up alot of posts to go through.
Steering input lag seems to be an issue for some. For me catching slides is not a problem at all doesn't matter what car I am driving. Some are more challenging than overs. The amount of on the limit (well personal limit) laps I can hit out now without doing something stupid and crashing have vastly increased in AC over other sims which tend to do a bunch of weird things when you try and lap fast and consistent.

Also just as a cautionary note - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AMDVMp3CbdY
TBH in lfs it's to easy to catch oversteer. in AC IMO it's done very good. I have no problem catching oversteer (def not in the e30), but it's also not too easy
Have you tried that pre-render frame thing? That helped, but you don't have the feel from the wheel or your arse like you do in real life and reacting mostly to what you see / hear leaves you a bit behind the car.

It's not supposed to be easy though; first time I tried a casual drift around a corner near my house I did an instant snap 180. It was wet though
Alright you buggers!

I've bitten the bullet and loaded steam and I am currently downloading AC.
FPS still seems to affect the input lag in AC, so the only real fix is to lower your settings or upgrade the hardware to get in to the 80-100 FPS sweet spot.
Quote from Hotdogxx60 :Alright you buggers!

I've bitten the bullet and loaded steam and I am currently downloading AC.

With Australian internet, you might have it downloaded by S3 release.
Yup, Done the pre-framerate thingy in Nvidea, dropped everything that was pretty and got my FPS above 60. Removed all vestiges of a 'driver' and steering wheel and I can now catch over steer.

Sometimes . . . . . . .

At least now it feels like I'm actually connected to the cars, whereas before I was more of a passenger.

It really is rather nice. Can't wait for MP. The AI is an absolute bastard to race against.
sometimes just love the unbelievable YOLO divebombs that the ai do XD
Huayra..

Quote from dawesdust_12 :With Australian internet, you might have it downloaded by S3 release.

If I go outside to the shed and pedal the bike I can get up 3.5Mb.
But I can only get that for an hour because I get too exhausted.
gotta love dutch internet
My G27 appears to be broken after playing last night. With the wheel centered the in game wheel is pointing 20+ degrees to the right
Quote from sil3ntwar :My G27 appears to be broken after playing last night. With the wheel centered the in game wheel is pointing 20+ degrees to the right

Try connecting and disconnecting the wheel?
Quote from sil3ntwar :My G27 appears to be broken after playing last night. With the wheel centered the in game wheel is pointing 20+ degrees to the right

Happens to my dfgt sometimes, let it calibrate (unplug the usb and plug it back in)
Pretty easy to get a WR if you just beat Joe's
Quote from Boris Lozac :Happens to my dfgt sometimes, let it calibrate (unplug the usb and plug it back in)

Have done that. Quick google points to faulty hardware. Wheel was purchased brand new in December so warranty should sort it.

Kunos Simulazioni - Assetto Corsa
(8871 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG