The online racing simulator
i want status rapport ASAP!

*attention seeker*
-
(nathan246) DELETED by nathan246
Quote from Mr_Lonely :i want status rapport ASAP!

*attention seeker*

Well, C.A.R.S just released build 91 for us with weekly builds.
RF2 is comming along as well.

LFS still going stron...slow
i just dont understand why thay have to be so freakin quiet..

for god sake, show us some sigh of life!
Question for the nerdies...

How do yo think the new tyre physics will affect off roading and rallycross?
Quote from Rappa Z :Question for the nerdies...

How do yo think the new tyre physics will affect off roading and rallycross?

*puts beer bottle glasses on* I think they might give a bit more feeling and hopefully some much needed shakiness to the FFB. I just hope the road car tyres won't flex as much on the corners as they do now, the flexing is far too exaggerated to look realistic.
i agree with the sidewall flex, even at 30 psi my real cars tires don't distort that bad!

i also think at 80 degrees to drift on the rear tires they are really slippery, just a little too slippery. . .hot tire = sticky rubber!!
Soon it will be 1 year since last Tyre Physics progress report and 3 years since they started working on them. Hoping for another report.
Scawen probably is working on rFactor 2.
Quote from daveb948576 :i agree with the sidewall flex, even at 30 psi my real cars tires don't distort that bad!

i also think at 80 degrees to drift on the rear tires they are really slippery, just a little too slippery. . .hot tire = sticky rubber!!

This is why I hope Scawen never takes the advice of most users.

At 20psi and high g tyres distort quite a lot. Next time you're cornering at 1 g on track tyres at 20 psi take a look at your tyres.

And a hot tyre is only sticky up to a certain temp. Like brake pads, beyond that point friction drops considerably.
Progress and LFS should never appear in the same post. I love this game and had some amazing racing today but i'm under no false impressions that its never going to get any better than it currently is. S3? A myth... the whole initial concept of LFS was not having to develop a game under the typical commerical pressures of big games companies. Yet in stark contrast what we now have is zero progress. The communications skills of the developers is shocking. Imagine if they had actually released some new content every 6 months and kept the project alive we might actually have twice, nay, triple the racers competing today. We would have a wonderful menagerie of racing mayhem... instead we have less than 10 popular servers where good pickup racing can be had...

One day, one day in the far, far future, a newly, vastly improved version of LFS will exist. But until then, CarGame2 is my delight on this wondeful and aging racer.
yea some movie on even screens would be nice how the cars drive etc
Quote from GuRu_PL :yea some movie on even screens would be nice how the cars drive etc

yep
Quote from daveb948576 :i agree with the sidewall flex, even at 30 psi my real cars tires don't distort that bad!

My Outback disagrees with your statement. Lol. (Can't find the real photo, only the photoshopped one.)

Quote from Stang70Fastback :My Outback disagrees with your statement. Lol. (Can't find the real photo, only the photoshopped one.)

Maybe my computer is just showing a negative image with edges detected, but I can't see sidewall flex in that photo?
Quote from tristancliffe :maybe my computer is just showing a negative image with edges detected, but i can't see sidewall flex in that photo?

+1
i see some tireflex at the rear tire..
Both the right side tires are flexing, or is my phone playing tricks on me?
You should be able to notice that the front right tire's sidewall UNDER the rim is about half that of the sidewall ABOVE the rim. Lol, I had rub marks pretty far down the side of the tire.

EDIT: Here's a MONSTER version of the image. You can tell the front tire is rolled quite a bit. On the front tire, there is a dark grey band which is just part of the tire design. At the bottom of the wheel, that band is almost against the pavement, whereas at the top it's clearly NOWHERE near the tread and closer to the center of the tire.

Dude, resize that image....
I don't doubt tyres move around, but that's an awful image to show it. And if your tyres ARE rolling that much, then I suggest you need better tyres!!!
Hah, that's an older image. The car already has fatter swaybars and larger wheels. That was my first ever autocross.

I still think it's fairly obvious in the image how much the tires are rolled. You can see how offset the tread is too.
That's the thing - I don't see that much rolling or tread offset in either image. Sure, the sidewall is smaller at the bottom (it always is on a pneumatic tyre!), but not as much as your description suggests.
Quote from tristancliffe :Sure, the sidewall is smaller at the bottom (it always is on a pneumatic tyre!)

This tire was at 40 psi, so there was pretty much no difference when stationary. And again, this being at 40 psi, you wouldn't want to see what it looks like at 30. But yeah, obviously tires roll more than that - especially if the car is heavier than mine, and the tires aren't jacked up, but I was just pointing out that I've noticed a lot of roll just on my Outback's not-terribly-grippy, old, all-season tires, so surely in LFS I can see at least the same deflection occurring if not more (even if the tires have shorter sidewalls.)

It wasn't supposed to be an end-all-arguments photo, lol, just an example of what I have experienced in my occasional fun days.

Here's another example of mine (in a Toyota Yaris.) A very light car on crappy stock tires, and yet a significant amount of tire roll (though again unless you knew how the tires looked when they weren't flattened, this likely doesn't help much, though it should be obvious that what looks like a low-profile tire is nothing of the sort, lol.)

This thread is closed

New Tyre Physics (work in progress)
(1075 posts, closed, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG