The online racing simulator
Put it all into perspective with reality and you'll realise just how sad crying over a lack of development is, this is a racing simulator, not the death of a loved one.
My 2 cents are :

This game is absolutely awesome despite the outdated graphics despite the crashing system despite all the bad side about it. I cant find any other game that satisfies me, in terms of realistic behaviour, than LFS.

If this update takes more 6 months, let it be, im sure i'll be here to enjoy the new physics. I believe it takes 1/100 of the time to build the game in a new advance 3d system than the time to study, analyse, test, re-test, analyse, develop, etc, etc , etc, alpha version for the tyres system. From what i believe this game will revolutionize the way games are made, probably, other games will "buy" this physics to develop their own stuff. Who knows?

All im saying is, despite the time it took, despite the lack of news, despite all the bad stuff, i think we should be all congratulating the Dev Team for the patience, dedication and will , to continue developing this game.

Good year to you all
I've been racing LFS for a long time, pretty much since the first release. It has been a great part of my gaming life but recently due to the amazing lack of decent racing online, e.g. 1-2 MAYBE 3 servers with decent racers, I took a look at iRacing...

iRacing, whilst expensive in comparison, is 10 years ahead of LFS. I'm now going to join the ranks of the others that have left LFS. I may come back and have a look when a new major release hits the streets. But by then i'll be progressing in iRacing and it is unlikely i'll have time for LFS unless Scawen does an amazing job. If his ability to communicate with a VERY dedicated customer base is anything to go by, I have very low hopes for a new release that will remain competitive in the current sim racing market.

And here I think I realize the reality of LFS. It is developed with an attitude of, "i'll finish it when i'm ready, I won't care when, and i'll take my time...". In essence, this sim is a personal project of Scawen's and he's not really bothered by the commercial aspect of the game. As such, he cares little for the satisfaction of his customers. It is this attitude that leads the game to stay in the minority, on the fringe, and small, slow development etc. Again, this seems to be quite OK with Scawen... so be it.

I however want new content, new cars, new features and a more modern simulator that has a major release at least once a year. iRacing is my new home and i'm so sad to leave because i've spent so many hours enjoying racing with LFS... but in this instance, the grass really is greener.

Scawen.. wake the **** up and pull your finger from your rear.

Happy New Year all
Quote from 5haz :Put it all into perspective with reality and you'll realise just how sad crying over a lack of development is, this is a racing simulator, not the death of a loved one.

Theres not much that stacks up to losing a loved one Sharon but that doesn't mean you can't moan about more insignificant things.
Quote from DEVIL 007 :
Its just I am frustrated how great title LFS was and where it got...

Hi, Devil! Long time no see

My stats seem to show:
Last race information: (19:41 - 03 Jun '09)

Have to agree that it got boring at some point. Not that I really care if it has just a few tracks and few fantasy cars as I mostly care about the driving physics and the feeling, but when nothing new was implemented to any of these areas, I just lost the interest and started waiting for updates, which then never came.

LFS is still THE driving game for me and I really dont enjoy other games that much. RBR is for rallying, LFS is for asphalt racing. I'm afraid that if I ever give iRacing a go, I'll lost all the interest that is left towards LFS...

This update that we all are waiting for is starting to get hype comparable to what GT5 got in console player communities and if it ever gets released, well... I'm afraid that it's not as mind blowingly huge advancement that most of us thinks/wants.

EDIT:
But thank you devs for the status update! Tho it was as good christmas present for me as pair of socks are for a ten year old boy.
Quote from Waste Me :Your words do not reflect your actions,,, after 7 years as a member you still take the time to comment... thankyou for your support my freind.
When it comes it comes and if it lives as long as S2 it will still be one of the longest lasting games out there.

Of course I still come back to comment lfs was a dream come true when I first found the demo
I couldn't believe how good the racing was online, and that was way before S1 came out.
Everything the developers brought out was more or less tested by the community.
Scawen was answering everyone's questions and solving problems, if you was around then
you would see how pathetic it is now unfortunately.
Quote from JPeace :Getting kicked in the balls, that makes you cry.

jabba makes you cry.
Quote from JPeace :Getting kicked in the balls, that makes you cry.

Not being ready to win makes you cry even more!
Quote from pearcy_2k7 :Theres not much that stacks up to losing a loved one Sharon but that doesn't mean you can't moan about more insignificant things.

Theres moaning and then theres the all out mourning we get in this thread, the internet really skews people's priorities.
No doubt when the update is released everyone will be back like jealous ex-girlfriends asking for forgiveness.
Quote from 5haz :Theres moaning and then theres the all out mourning we get in this thread, the internet really skews people's priorities.

No it doesn't, when a football team gets relegated, do you see the grown men crying in the stands? And they're only going down a division not dissapearing into nothing. You can't judge how much someone likes something, to alot of people this was a big hobby mine also. As for me, yes it is a shame but tbh i gave up caring so much because the devs obviously dont care as much about it as i did, theres plenty of other stuff out there, whether i'll get the same enjoyment out of it is to be seen or whether i'll carry on sim racing at all.
Quote from pearcy_2k7 :. As for me, yes it is a shame but tbh i gave up caring so much because the devs obviously dont care as much about it as i did.

I don't think downloading a game, and buying a G25 demonstrates the same level of 'care for LFS' as waking up every morning having to dissect and create a hugely complex physics model with an endless amount of problems to fix to the devs have to deal with.
I think he is refering to the dedication back/forth with the community. Some people feel the community is more giving / cares mot about the developers, than the developers care about their fanbase.
Quote from Intrepid :I don't think downloading a game, and buying a G25 demonstrates the same level of 'care for LFS' as waking up every morning having to dissect and create a hugely complex physics model with an endless amount of problems to fix to the devs have to deal with.

You mean just like you'd have to do with any other job? Everyone praises them like saints, working so hard but all they do is sit on their ass and code or make tracks and they've still not released anything worth while for like 3 years or something if not longer! Theres alot of people here that want to see the game succeed but it can't with this development rate, which is why people are frustrated especially for the people that have put YEARS into this game but for me their heart isn't in it anymore and i doubt it will be again.

But i doubt moaning or arguing is going to make things quicker, infact i think it's probably done the opposite so my last post in this thread.
To me the progress report says: We're getting to closer to get an idea on how a tire model could look like......but then it's nowhere near the actual creation AND implementation into the game......Guess how long that'll take.

It's not about the money I already spent. Unlike many people here who claim it's their "right" to get updates because they paid... for me LFS is super cheap for what you get. But it's a sad thing to lose interest into a sim I enjoyed for ages.

As a consequence I disassembled my Playseat last week.....

I don't get why you devs do not try to get help on board. Sure it's your "little baby" and you want it to be the way you want it to be. But when I have to create a huge calculation in Excel which seems to become more complex everytime I think about possible modifiers and calculations, I want it to be finished because at some point in time it is not "interesting" anymore to find out new things.

I'm a bit worried you will crack over this new tire model.....
Quote from Intrepid :No doubt when the update is released everyone will be back like jealous ex-girlfriends asking for forgiveness.

I give it about two months before people start demanding more content again.
Quote from pearcy_2k7 :You mean just like you'd have to do with any other job? Everyone praises them like saints, working so hard but all they do is sit on their ass and code or make tracks and they've still not released anything worth while for like 3 years or something if not longer! Theres alot of people here that want to see the game succeed but it can't with this development rate, which is why people are frustrated especially for the people that have put YEARS into this game but for me their heart isn't in it anymore and i doubt it will be again.

Firstly, who exactly are you to judge what success means for the LFS developers? You don't know how they measure success.

Look, you have spent a pitiful amount of cash to access one of the all-time great driving simulations. Yes, it currently may be a tad dated due to lack of updates (which is different to lack of development), but spending £24 for what has given you hours, days, months, years of pleasure leaves no room for moaning. All that is is working 5 hours on a minimum wage for YEARS of enjoyment in return... BARGAIN.

What have you got to be frustrated about? I can't think of many other things that cost so little, yet a customer can then demand so much more. £24 is nothing for the value you have received from LFS. If LFS ended today I'd be happy with what I received from it.

The devs probably avoid the community for good reason. Nothing more demotivating than a bunch of moaners. If you 'care' about LFS, rather than complain, go enjoy your life a tad, and come back when it's done, and stop worrying.
Quote from Scawen :News from www.lfs.net :

Dear LFS Racers,

We hope you have had a good year.

The stable Z28 has been the latest version for a long time now, while we have been working on things for the long term future of LFS. As many of you know, the tyre physics system is being updated so all the cars will behave that bit closer to reality. It has proved to be a challenging and unpredictable project, involving a lot of studying, mathematics, testing and rewriting.

Sometimes, we had a version that felt good to drive and it seemed that soon we would be able to release it to the community. But then we found situations where the simulation produced incorrect results, leading to further investigations into the way tyres perform in various circumstances and why they do so. One thing tends to lead to another and for a while it seems that the more you learn about tyres, the more you realise that there is so much more to find out!

Scawen has written a little more about tyre design and simulation in case you would like to get a bit more technical.

The VW Scirocco and Rockingham have seemed quite close to release for some time now, but we decided to wait for the updated tyres because these things from the real world will be best experienced with the most realistic physics system. Eric has been working on some more S3 content but he would like to get nearer to finishing before we show any new pictures.

Victor has recently produced a special program "LFS Record" which can help you to produce smooth movies from Live for Speed, using advanced camera control. It is still in a beta stage at the moment. The program has a lot of features - too much to describe here, so if you do make movies or would like to have a go, take a look at the LFS Record thread on our forum.

- LFS Developers

you must be working so hard. not extress, s3=2012 good luck
Hi guys,

Well, not good at all. I agree with most of these posts but i'll continue to stay on here till its realeased but I will most proberly give up before then.

Heres the timeline:

1. LFS = No patch
2. LFS = No patch
3. LFS = Dead
Quote from (The Stig) :Hi guys,

Well, not good at all. I agree with most of these posts but i'll continue to stay on here till its realeased but I will most proberly give up before then.

Heres the timeline:

1. LFS = No patch
2. LFS = No patch
3. LFS = Dead

You are so clever
Quote from Intrepid :Firstly, who exactly are you to judge what success means for the LFS developers? You don't know how they measure success.

Look, you have spent a pitiful amount of cash to access one of the all-time great driving simulations. Yes, it currently may be a tad dated due to lack of updates (which is different to lack of development), but spending £24 for what has given you hours, days, months, years of pleasure leaves no room for moaning. All that is is working 5 hours on a minimum wage for YEARS of enjoyment in return... BARGAIN.

What have you got to be frustrated about? I can't think of many other things that cost so little, yet a customer can then demand so much more. £24 is nothing for the value you have received from LFS. If LFS ended today I'd be happy with what I received from it.

The devs probably avoid the community for good reason. Nothing more demotivating than a bunch of moaners. If you 'care' about LFS, rather than complain, go enjoy your life a tad, and come back when it's done, and stop worrying.

I couldn't really give two ****s anymore, it's their loss. The only people that have turned the community the way it is is them.
Quote from Intrepid :Firstly, who exactly are you to judge what success means for the LFS developers? You don't know how they measure success.

Couldn´t agree more.
Agreed. Can anyone imagine what it would be like, if lerts was replying to this thread?
Quote from cuni :My 2 cents are :

This game is absolutely awesome despite the outdated graphics despite the crashing system despite all the bad side about it. I cant find any other game that satisfies me, in terms of realistic behaviour, than LFS.

If this update takes more 6 months, let it be, im sure i'll be here to enjoy the new physics. I believe it takes 1/100 of the time to build the game in a new advance 3d system than the time to study, analyse, test, re-test, analyse, develop, etc, etc , etc, alpha version for the tyres system. From what i believe this game will revolutionize the way games are made, probably, other games will "buy" this physics to develop their own stuff. Who knows?

All im saying is, despite the time it took, despite the lack of news, despite all the bad stuff, i think we should be all congratulating the Dev Team for the patience, dedication and will , to continue developing this game.

Good year to you all

I agree with you but not in all your points, dont get me wrong i still love the game but i myself have been with the sim for 5+ years and after a while it can get borring. After knowing all the break points in every track with every car with my eyes closed it does get a little borring (im not the quickest driver but also not the slowest). I love the physics, the tracks, the grafic, sounds etc etc but a couple of real tracks wouldnt be bad at all, if not real then fictional tracks, at least we would have new content. I am not hating, i do enjoy the game since i started playing, i am basically just putting my 45 cents in To tell you the truth i cant wait for S3 or a new update, but if perfection takes time, so be it.
Quote from (The Stig) :Hi guys,

Heres the timeline:

1. LFS = Patch announced
2. LFS = Patch Postboned
3. LFS = Still No patch
4. LFS = Dead

Couldn't resist.
This thread is closed

Progress Report December 2010
(1653 posts, closed, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG