The online racing simulator
Quote from Boris Lozac :
Quote :This demo was specifically designed for the GT5 Time Trial Challenge to challenge racing fans to master every straight-away, corner and bump of the track. We want to use this demo to find out who are the best racers in both the US and Canada. We also created this demo to showcase the realism of the brand new physics engine which is constantly improving before GT5 releases.

As Gran Turismo fans know, our GT games let you select between standard or professional driving physics and adjust a multitude of driving assists, but to make this a real "challenge" for all you racing fans, the GT5 demo has professional driving physics, and many of the assists are disabled. But don't worry. Even if this demo seems challenging, you'll be able to turn on some of those extra assists and enjoy GT5's 950 cars, its new and improved online racing, and several other features we have yet to disclose when it comes out.

http://blog.us.playstation.com ... allenge-starts-this-week/

Sweet, just how it should be!
However i think it would have been nice, and more (potential) customer friendly if they'd included assists and settings which would have made it easier, but inform them that they're times are excluded from the competition. If n00bs get hold of the game having played NFS:Shift & Grid under the belief that its a uber realistic sim, then they'll pass GT5 off as being like driving on ice and unrealistic.
If they make it extremely clear this is set up in its hardest settings, it might help, but when we all know deep down this is a sim trying to cover as broad a customer base as possible to get more sales, a game people cant drive like they're used to isnt a great marketting tool.
GT5 would be better without the n00bs who dont know how to drive littering the servers, same can be said for LFS, but it seems an odd decision to put out a demo which could easily alienate a chunk of GT's potential customers.
I think weeding out the NFS crowd is not a bad thing. especially since there will now be online racing.
The reason Paul that they're putting out this kind of demo is look how they want to use it (atleast in the Europeland)... as a GT Academy scouting run. It makes sense to kick up the realism slider a bit with that kind of purpose.
Damn Americans

http://www.theglobeandmail.com ... s-emotion/article1399757/

Quote :Globe and Mail
Of course, there were plenty of other first-party games worth getting excited about (I’ll tackle the third-party stuff in another post later this week).

For example, I finally got some hands-on time with Gran Turismo 5, and while the controls were set up in a very arcade-like fashion that kept me from getting a feel for the game’s physics—which are purportedly more advanced than those of any game to come before—I did get to see GT5’s new damage system in full effect.

For the first time in a Gran Turismo game cars can become extensively damaged, with fenders, doors, and hoods crumpling and falling off. They can even roll over, though, due to manufacturer concerns about consumers seeing their coveted rides lying impotent on their roofs, they automatically right themselves.

Interestingly, the Polyphony Digital delegate who led me through the demo said that the only reason crash damage exists in the game is because of mountains of requests they’ve received from American gamers. The vast majority of content requests they get from European and Asian players is for more authentic cars and tracks. Only Americans, it seems, are fixated on busting up their virtual vehicles.

He also added that, according to their research, most players who want to see realistic damage—including issues that affects performance and handling—end up turning it off after just a few races. “They say, man, that’s cool, then switch it off because it makes the game too hard.”

Seems like a lot of work for a feature that ends up being used by so few people.

However, that Polyphony Digital would put such effort into something they know will be used by a niche group is likely an indication of their determination to make Gran Turismo 5 the most full-featured and authentic racing simulator to date.

In defense. This is just speculation, for non PC sim-racing population in the United States there are only two racing games that exist. They are: Gran Turismo and, more recently, Forza. I do not doubt that if PC sim-racing became widespread in the United States there would only be more requests to GT for damage and rolloverability.

Not what you were expecting was it?
atleast its a new track and 2 cars for free
I am quite excited to see how the new improved physics feel, hopefully the "hovercraft" feeling will have gone forever, and the cars now feel connected to the track.

I just hope they haven't fudged the tyre physics (reduced grip) just to give the impression the physics are more realistic by being harder to drive.
I do hope they reduced grip.
In GT5:P the standard tyres pull something like 1.3g lateral acceleration. And no, a Lancia Delta is no fun with that sort of grip.
Try driving the M3 on the medium road tyres. That's fun.

Well, I'm looking forward to it. Let's see what comes out of this.

Vain
Quote from Vain :Well, I'm looking forward to it. Let's see what comes out of this.

Vain

Agreed, I just hope they rid the "funky" physics feeling of GT5p.
Quote from jibber :Maybe it's just me, or the youtube videos... but IMO, it looks quite bad (the track, the physics, etc). It looks washed out and the car looks like the same old hovercraft from GT5P.

*gets ready for flaming*

I see what you mean, and i kind of agree in a way, but i shall wait until i try it on my brothers PS3 before i comment on the physics. What i can comment on from that video though, is the track scenery looks pretty bland and sparse, and the sounds still suck.
as they said, its not a gt5 demo yet...
Still, its only a few months away.......
Quote from dawesdust_12 :The reason Paul that they're putting out this kind of demo is look how they want to use it (atleast in the Europeland)... as a GT Academy scouting run. It makes sense to kick up the realism slider a bit with that kind of purpose.

Yeah, i understand and fully support the reason for the more realistic mode being used for the competition, that much makes sense.
However, whether this is for the GT Academy or not, people are going to download it expecting this to be a GT5 Demo. If they're so n00b that they cant drive it like they can any car in their chosen Codemasters arcade racer then they're likely to pass on GT5 unless they have money to keep buying games.

Now i dont want n00b racers in there, its no appeal to me, but im surprised PD has left them out and potentially alienated the n00b quarters who could come to their own conclusion that GT5 isnt realistic cos they know whats real because NFS:Shift/Grid etc told them whats realistic.

Im just surprised n00b modes arent in there, but the comp only accepts pr0 laps.
I didn't think people still used the term "n00b"
Quote from danowat :I didn't think people still used the term "n00b"

Much less "pr0"

I'm sure it will be mentioned in the demo that assists are not availabe and that the cars will require a more experienced driver or something along those lines.
Quote from Nathan_French_14 :I see what you mean, and i kind of agree in a way, but i shall wait until i try it on my brothers PS3 before i comment on the physics. What i can comment on from that video though, is the track scenery looks pretty bland and sparse, and the sounds still suck.

it sounds like the real thing to me, same character, baring in mind the effects of mics and compression and mixing a stereo source down to mono. And the tyre sounds are almost exactly the same!

see 1:02 for example
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fr4nOickyDo
Quote from CoolColJ :replay of the tuned Z
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5XvksBfIG8k

That looks amazing. Some of the exterior shots could easily be taken for actual photographs (The shots after 1:14 look particularly good). Whether it looks like that it in-game is another matter though, it's all well and good having shiny replays but it needs to look that good live
replay just has better anti-aliasing and motion blur from what I know. And other effects like heat haze, depth of field etc
Quote from danowat :I didn't think people still used the term "n00b"

Hey, im down with the crazy kids, listening to snoop doggy doggy on my EP3 player and busting caps into my arse. word!!

Im just a player, for real!
GT5 is t3h suck!!!11

lulz!!!11eleven

/dustin's equally evil but politically opposed twin

Gran Turismo 5
(7732 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG