The online racing simulator
http://www.ps3center.net/news/ ... same-as-actually-driving/

Quote :Kaz spends a lot of time speaking on the new physics system designed for Gran Turismo 5. He's really proud of the way the new physics system captures the 'dynamic' feel of driving, going as far to say "We feel that this could be nearly the same feel as actually driving". Kaz specifically mentions that feedback will give players a good indication of whether or not their car is under control or sliding

Quote from Nathan_French_14 :I just watched the GT5 vid and the vid you posted above back to back, and i don't agree. Don't sound that close to be honest, and the tyre squeal sounds nothing like the tyre sound in the video you posted.

I still don't get while the tyres squeal under heavy braking either? Something GT has always done.

But still, I'm looking forward to trying this out.

well I do have pretty good ears thanks to my Sound engineer/CD mastering/Musician background, and overall feel of the sounds is similar IMO
Demo is available from 9AM GMT.
and thatsssss... 12am?
no... It's 1AM if you're on the west coast (and If I'm not mistaken.. EU store for that time )
UPDATE: Japanese PSN has it. You can play it on any account, and it's in English.

After a quick lap with a controller... it feels pretty good. lots of the issues that GT5P had, are now gone, and you feel a lot more "on the road". Although will haffto try with my G25 once I get my monitor given to me (and PS3 setup downstairs).
Apparently the tuned version doesn't have traction control, whereas the normal Z does.
Someone said the N3 tyres feels a lot like LFS.
This is gonna be a good thing, because with GT5's 950+ cars and many tracks ontop of that, with all the tuning and what not, you'll be very busy and playing till kingdom come

various impressions from people

Quote :The good: The sounds are SOOO much better in the demo and even though twitchy, the physics do work really well on low speed turns such as the countless number of hairpins in this track.

Quote :The good: I really like the way the car bounces as it drives over the track. It's not a plain flat surface but uneven in places which is great, reminds me a lot of PC sims such as GTR2. Handles brilliantly with the G25 wheel (make sure you go to options and set the wheel to simulation though, otherwise it's too twitchy). In fact, for me that's the best thing about this overall, it compares very favourably to PC racing sims in the handling and physics department (on first impressions anyways) and really is quite wonderful. I'm also pleased to see the tyre squeel sound is now a thing of the past.

Quote :The Nissan with N3 tyres feels just right. In fact, it feels close to the physics of Live For Speed, which makes it pretty much perfect. I seriously cannot wait for the full game

Quote :Cons: The grass and gravel trap physics are still terrible. Instead of spinning your tires, they just limit the throttle. I really hope they fix this before GT5.

Pros: FFB feels great!

Quote :Given that PD has admitted that the graphics aren't all they could be I see little point criticising them. They're admittedly not great, but not so bad that they actually detract from the experience IMO.

The feel of the cars is great. The FFB is improved although it can still be tough to feel when you're about to lose grip. You can feel the weight shifts better though.

The only complaint I have is the grass. It's like friggin ICE or something. Maybe it's covered in tiny buttons that say "ACTIVATE SPIN MODE NOW". Even at slow speed on N3s, which I understand to be approximately equivalent to a good set of road tires, it's all over the place. As a result, one wheel on the grass and it's all over baby.

Now, there's probably reasons for them doing that. Like, it eliminates any possible advantage from cutting corners. This is fine in a time trial, but in a real race there's times you need to stick a wheel onto the grass to get a clean pass.

I hope that it's some special mutant Indianapolis grass or something. If GT5 had it on every track it wouldn't be the end of the world, but it'd be irritating sometimes. But then I'd get over it. Really, if the demo is what GT5 is going to be like then I'm totally happy

Quote :Wow, I really wish I had a wheel. The car reacts a lot more to bumps and mid corner forces. I'm shaking the stick all over just trying to stay on the road. If you're on the fence about getting a wheel for GT5, and this demo represents the final physics, I say go for the wheel.

BTW, I know why all the vids before used the tuned Z, no TC, much more fun.
Rank 19.

Quote :It's really great. They give you a much better "feel" of being in a car in the cockpit view. Kinda like shift, but not exaggerated like shift.

The physics appear to be much improved. It's quite hard to brake this time around. The car get's really unstable while braking. Dare try to turn while braking and you will slide even on R1's. It's causing me to spin a lot since I end up accelerating while sliding

Car reacts a lot more to bumps too and the FFB follows.

Interesting feature: if your car is stopped and you hold the E-brake for a couple of seconds, it will still be engaged when you release the button. I'm glad they finally got that right!

Quote from dawesdust_12 :UPDATE: Japanese PSN has it. You can play it on any account, and it's in English.

After a quick lap with a controller... it feels pretty good. lots of the issues that GT5P had, are now gone, and you feel a lot more "on the road". Although will haffto try with my G25 once I get my monitor given to me (and PS3 setup downstairs).

PS3's might actually be good for something other than playing blu ray movies if GT5 turns out good!
CoolColJ... the Tuned Z has a modifiable TC setting (0 - 10), whereas the stock Z has it set to 7.. which is terribly annoying although as a training tool, it's good as it trains you to turn as little as possible (so you can put power down earlier).

I can't wait to play it on a G25, as it feels really good with the PS3's controller.
Quote from dawesdust_12 :I'm sorry. Your sentence makes no god damn sense. Please try again when you can use some proper grammar.

There you go again, attempting to flame someone for defending xbox'ers, he's Dutch(they don't speak English there you know) so he is allowed to be bad in English, what other language do you speak? Oh yea. None. So shut the **** up before you judge people on their grammar, and FFS go stick your phallus into a PS3 disktray and shut it please.
You're smart...

PS3's are slot-loading.

Also, I don't care if he's Dutch... There's a large percentage of non-native English speakers who can out-English the best of us. There's no excuse anymore for him to play the "I'm Foreign" card, as he has almost 4,000 posts of similar grammatical errors.
Quote from dawesdust_12 :You're smart...

PS3's are slot-loading.

Also, I don't care if he's Dutch... There's a large percentage of non-native English speakers who can out-English the best of us. There's no excuse anymore for him to play the "I'm Foreign" card, as he has almost 4,000 posts of similar grammatical errors.

The simple fact is, you don't speak another langauge, so in no way can you judge foreigners for not speaking English to the tee, when you can understand the point he made anyway, and the English is better than most of the retards in English speaking countries anyway. You're just pedantic, and you think you're cool to rip into people who can't speak English very well, tho you know full well you can't speak another language at all. You have no right to say it, and you've done it to many other foreigners, I bet you don't even TRY to speak another language, so basically, you are flaming people for trying, but not trying hard enough to YOUR standards which is pathetic, because your standards are fornicating with a macbook whilst playing devil may cry.
Let's pull your post apart:

1) Where have I indicated that I don't speak another language? Just becuase I prefer to communicate only in English, shouldn't indicate that perhaps I speak fluent French (I am Canadian!).

2) I'm sorry, I'd rather not play Devil May Cry, mostly becuase it's shit.

3) I have made great attempts to speak another language, to the extent in the past, I joined a Spanish UF1 league, and actually spoke Spanish, not expecting people to translate for me. Sorry I'm not an ignorant American, I do actually attempt to speak another language if I am in that situation.

Well it's a fair point, but I don't tolerate ignorance to foreigners about their grammar. Just because English is a popular spoken language, doesn't mean anyone has the right to demand the correct grammar from someone who's primary language isn't English.
So the "hovercraft" effect is gone?

Can't wait to give it a bash tonight.
I have got to go somewhere today, so I may not be able to download it tonight.

Oh well, there is tomorrow if the world doesn't end.
I'm a little annoyed it's not available until 9am here tbh, is it just so us guys with jobs to go to can't get it until tonight, when the download will be stupid slow because everyone is getting it at that time?
Oh well, good things to those who wait, eh?
Go look how to create a Japanese PSN account and grab it there. your time will go to the right place, and it's all in English..
Anyone got it yet?, from what I am hearing, my thoughts about the lack of grip may be true.
I gave the standard car a quick spin on the G25 and I'm pretty happy.
There really is no lack of grip - the 'Normal Street'-tyres on the standard car pull about 0.9 to 1.0 g, which is rather exact.
The car is pretty lively, partly due to the fact that they simulated a few effects that can't be 'felt' in front of a TV, like visual rattling when the ABS engages.
Force feedback was solid. I still have to decide wether I like some nounces, but overall there's a lot of feedback from the wheel and it tells you pretty well what happens with the car.

By the way I'm pretty sure that there are 'canned effects' working in the background. I'd be surprised if the FFB was taken directly from the simulation. However it feels very good. It compares very well to my trackday experience.

Verdict: This is definitely quite a notch better than GT5:P.

Vain
Quote from Vain :
Verdict: This is definitely quite a notch better than GT5:P.

Vain

Good
Hi first post here but just wanted to ask about clutch support with the G25 on GT5. Vain I see you have the G25, do you think the full game will have clutch support? Prolouge has partial support but it is not analouge & now it seems to have been removed completely from this "demo".

Just worried that the full game won't have clutch support, I don't even know if the G25 will be officially supported as there is still no picture for it in the options screens.
I found no way to enable the clutch or h-shifter in the academy demo. GT5P method didn't work and there's nothing about it in the settings menu.
Quote from Matrixi :I found no way to enable the clutch or h-shifter in the academy demo. GT5P method didn't work and there's nothing about it in the settings menu.

Yeah for me the H shifter just works including reverse but no need to push in the clutch so I just used the paddles & as you say pressing triangle like in GT5P has no effect on the clutch
The lack of clutch support is a real bummer! Whoever thought that was a good idea...

I'm downloading the demo now, six minutes to go. I'll post my impressions later on.

Gran Turismo 5
(7732 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG