The online racing simulator
My god, i am utterly impressed! :monkey: Driving feel is miles better then GT5p, just.. i don't know what to say, hats off to you mister Kazunori! :elefant:
Quote from Alien Jam Rots :Yeah for me the H shifter just works including reverse but no need to push in the clutch so I just used the paddles & as you say pressing triangle like in GT5P has no effect on the clutch

Oh, so it seems. I simply tried pressing the triangle button on the shifter to enable the clutch and thought it was disabled all together. :doh:
I am going to be honest, however, I am sure the usual suspects will brand me as an xbox fanboy, but so be it.

I've had a good bash on the demo, and TBH, I am left feeling a bit cold by it.

Firstly, graphically, I was expecting more, and understand that this is a chopped down demo, hopefully the full version will capitalize more on the PS3's power.

Aurally, mixed bag, thank god they've got rid of the GOD AWFUL tyre squeal that dogged GT5p, but the engine sounds are very muted and there is a bit lacking there IMO.

Lastly, physics, I really can't see the "massive improvement" over GT5p, both with pad and G25, there is something missing in the "feel" department, I can't put my finger on what it is, but something just feels odd, there is no real sense of adhesion from the tyres, sure they break grip in oversteer and understeer, but the slip angle all seems very grip, grip, no grip, there is a lack of progression in the transition from grip to no grip, its all a bit all or nothing.

As I said, left me a bit cold, fingers crossed the full version is better
seems like many lfs'ers will spend 349€ on Ps3slim+ gt5 pack.

I'm glad. Already have mine since 2007

I wonder how the online will be.
Well the demo was really bad, because of the lack of content. But as a game (GT5) It is just mind blowing! The physics are really awesome, the game runs at 60fps or more and the graphics are eye candy. It looks just like the screenshots from PD, only with a few more jagged lines. There are some faults though-

Default controls are meh. Using 'x' to accelerate and square to brake is so last gen. Triange to reverse, wtf?!

Chase view camera is just stuck to the car

Lack of 360 view. Every recently released game has that now, so why can't the king of racing games have that too?

Those are minor probs which can easily be overlooked. I think this could be the racing game of the year! Great work PD, and have a merry Xmas.
Quote from danowat :I am going to be honest, however, I am sure the usual suspects will brand me as an xbox fanboy, but so be it.

Well you do sound like one I don't know, but the feel of weight, grip and everything is just awesome. And for the engine sounds? Of course they will be muffled, it's a 2009 car (i'm talking about regular version, haven't tried the tuned)..
I am trying to be subjective, but I know its pointless.

I'd have liked nothing more than to have been blown away by the demo, but I wasn't.

I agree about the suspension movement and weight transfer, yes, that IS better, but there is still something not right with the physics, and I think its the tyre physics.

The sounds in the tuned one are just as muted, maybe even worse.
For me it ticks off all the boxes. If LFS was this good I wouldn't have bought a console.

(...Except perhaps for clutch support, but that also isn't done properly in LFS...)

Vain
Didnt realise this would be out earlier in the day, kept trying to get back to sleep and didnt bother getting up till nearly 4pm

Only managed a few laps in both cars. I havent played GT5P for a while, so cant make comparisons that are fair and honest in that respect (and anyone who has GT5P can make their own judgements anyway).

Visually, nothing special, but then it isnt a picturesque local anyway is it, had they gone with Spa THEN we'd see what its capable of.

Im happy with it, no more than i expected, no less. Im not overhyping what GT5 will be (seems everyone except PD are doing that, and people moan cos they expected more!) i just know i'll like it eitherway, deadly serious/realistic or fun... its always been enjoyable.
No, no, no.... this isn't how a car feels on a track in real life. It's like GT5P had sex with NFS shift.

I'm going to play it more and will try to not put it away too fast, give it a serious chance, but the initial feeling (driving about 10 laps with each car) is really bad.

Are you guys pushing the cars to their limits and further, to explore the details of the physics when tyres are loosing/have lost grip? Because i think it simulates some "effects" of driving a car quite well (like NFS Shift), but if you really put the physics to a test (pushing the car), it's just terrible (GT5P was better IMO, but it's similar, just even more canned now).

If this is how a real car behaves, then i'm the queen of england.

I've driven quite a few RWD cars in real life, and i've been to tracks with two of them... it's totally different. It's fun actually, and not canned/difficult/weird/cumbersome like GT5. If it would be like that, i wouldn't take my car to a track in real life, because it just wouldn't be much fun!

And i'm not comparing this to Forza 3, because FM3 is quite arcade aswell in certain areas of the physics. I'm comparing to how i know a real car will handle (more or less, depends on the car of course). LFS always was the most realistic one in this regard. Forza always managed to get the very basic physics right aswell, but is way more arcade compared to LFS. GT5 is just wrong (in regard of physics when exposed to extreme situations (slides, catching slides, spinning the car, blabla))...

And for all you people who are going to label me as an xbox fanboi now...
I was always a fan of the GT series, and i would want nothing more for GT5 than good physics, because i love the rest of the game (cars, graphics, design and layout, it's just great). But i can't help it if the physics feel wrong to me.

The best sim on a console to date is Supercar Challenge on the PS3, period. It looses in all the other aspects, like graphics, career design, AI (just a nightmare), online, etc. But the physics, spot on! So yeah, don't label me an xbox or Forza fanboy please, because Supercar Challenge wins for me, and that's on the PS3.

Anyway, i shall give it another try now... taking my time, trying to get adjusted to it a little more maybe... we'll see.

PS: Did you guys notice there's a traction control setting (it's set to "7") that you cannot turn off...?
Quote from jibber :No, no, no.... this isn't how a car feels on a track in real life. It's like GT5P had sex with NFS shift.

I'm going to play it more and will try to not put it away too fast, give it a serious chance, but the initial feeling (driving about 10 laps with each car) is really bad.

Are you guys pushing the cars to their limits and further, to explore the details of the physics when tyres are loosing/have lost grip? Because i think it simulates some "effects" of driving a car quite well (like NFS Shift), but if you really put the physics to a test (pushing the car), it's just terrible (GT5P was better IMO, but it's similar, just even more canned now).

I've driven quite a few RWD cars in real life, and i've been to tracks with two of them... it's totally different. It's fun actually, and not canned/difficult/weird/cumbersome like GT5. If it would be like that, i wouldn't take my car to a track in real life, because it just wouldn't be much fun!

And i'm not comparing this to Forza 3, because FM3 is quite arcade aswell in certain areas of the physics. I'm comparing to how i know a real car will handle (more or less, depends on the car of course). LFS always was the most realistic one in this regard. Forza always managed to get the very basic physics right aswell, but is way more arcade compared to LFS. GT5 is just wrong (in regard of physics when exposed to extreme situations (slides, catching slides, spinning the car, blabla))...

And for all you people who are going to label me as an xbox fanboi now...
I was always a fan of the GT series, and i would want nothing more for GT5 than good physics, because i love the rest of the game (cars, graphics, design and layout, it's just great). But i can't help it if the physics feel wrong to me.

The best sim on a console to date is Supercar Challenge on the PS3, period. It looses in all the other aspects, like graphics, career design, AI (just a nightmare), online, etc. But the physics, spot on! So yeah, don't label me an xbox or Forza fanboy please, because Supercar Challenge wins for me, and that's on the PS3.

Anyway, i shall give it another try now... taking my time, trying to get adjusted to it a little more maybe... we'll see.

PS: Did you guys notice there's a traction control setting (it's set to "7") that you cannot turn off...

Bob Smith will be happy
Jibber... I can't buy Supercar Challenge over here.. only Ferrari Challenge.
This message is hidden because dawesdust_12 is on your ignore list.
Much better feel than prologue. Danowat you need to try it with a wheel. Slides are very catchable as long as you are on your toes and the grip transitions are pretty realistic. I am very pleased that finally a collision with the wall does not result in all sorts of weird results. Much better collisions now. The sounds are pretty realistic too I think. They seem pretty good in my opinion, improved quite a bit anyway. Just because they are not ridiculously exaggerated like in Shift, it doesn't mean that they are unrealistic.

Quote from jibber :

Your majesty!! :bowdown:
I agree with you jibber, I can't stand these physics.

There's simply no feedback at all. Steering is dead numb, braking gives no feedback since the tires squeal even when they aren't locked (?!?) and trying to stabilize the car in a powerslide by giving it a tad more gas throws it in to some weird snap oversteer from hell mode. It just feels like crap at the limits of the cars.

Still buying GT5 since the graphics are still jizz-worthy, but I think I actually prefer GT5P physics compared to this.
Quote from Matrixi :I agree with you jibber, I can't stand these physics.

Are you using a pad or wheel?
G25.

There's simply no feedback at all. Steering is dead numb, braking gives no feedback since the tires squeal even when they aren't locked (?!?) and trying to stabilize the car in a powerslide by giving it a tad more gas throws it in to some weird snap oversteer from hell mode. It just feels like crap at the limits of the cars.

Still buying GT5 since the graphics are still jizz-worthy, but I think I actually prefer GT5P physics compared to this.

What have the two of you smoked i don't know.. but i'm having totally opposite impression..
Quote from Gills4life :Much better feel than prologue. Danowat you need to try it with a wheel. Slides are very catchable as long as you are on your toes and the grip transitions are pretty realistic.

If you read my post, you'll see I did, with my G25, and there is still something funky going on with the tyre physics.

A real car just doesn't handle like they do in GT5.
Quote from danowat :
A real car just doesn't handle like they do in GT5.

C'mon.. you're telling me LFS has perfect RWD physics? You gotta agree that no game can get it right, we're just dellusional if we think otherwise, but this demo came pretty close to that feel of what you can expect a real car to behave. You just can't ignore the sheer scale of this product, with practically infinite combos, and 'LFS-like' physics..
Quote from Boris Lozac :C'mon.. you're telling me LFS has perfect RWD physics? You gotta agree that no game can get it right, we're just dellusional if we think otherwise, but this demo came pretty close to that feel of what you can expect a real car to behave. You just can't ignore the sheer scale of this product, with practically infinite combos, and 'LFS-like' physics..

Of course, no game will ever be perfect, its just not possible, and yes, I agree no game will get it right (in my lifetime anyway ), and of course, LFS is far, far from perfect.

And yes, as far as scale goes, GT has always been impressive, but I really do think that the actual physics, those that give the "impression" of driving a real car, and just a little bit out of whack.

Don't get me wrong, and I not saying GT5 is a "bad" game, its just I think there are other games that give a better "impression" of driving a real car, and no, I really, really don't think GT5 comes at all close to the feel of driving a real, high performance car.

That's strange, as my "solution" to getting out of a few slides with the Tuned 350z by just flooring it.

It feels pretty good to me on a controller, dunno about wheel yet and I'm waiting for most of my decision at that point.

Also, I'm kinda happy clutch isn't in.. in Prologue the way clutch was implemented was.. terrible. (No stall.)

Also, anyone send me supercar challenge for PS3?
stop spamming the Game is great, so post some times I was wondering how the LFS guys do in GT5 Time Trial.

me is damn slow

Tuned Nissan 370z 1'40.162

Default Nissan 370z 1'52.299

Combined Time: 3'32.461

Edit: forgot to mention it was driving with Wheel Driving Force Pro (GT4 wheel) and the tuned car with TC off.
Well I am pretty impressed. Better than prologue physics. The cars feel more alive and react how I would expect them to. Some people here had no intention in giving positive feedback anyway. It feels good with my Fanatec 911, FFB is great.

1:37.9 in tuned 370z
Quote from Gills4life :Some people here had no intention in giving positive feedback anyway.

I guess we can just assume that "some people" were going to give positive feedback no matter what then, too

Gran Turismo 5
(7732 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG