The online racing simulator
Quote from legoflamb :@coolcolJ

Are those experiences with a game pad thumb stick coolcolJ? From my experiences with GT4 and GT5P with my wheel, the cars all have under-steer or are extremely stable in extreme situations while on the brakes. However, the mid-engine cars were the ones that had better performance while trail-braking because the front tires actually did not push as they do in other cars.

On another note but also about GT5's physics, I noticed recovery from light wall-bumps was much easier in GT Time Trial. The weight transfer felt less conditional as it has in the previous games. In GT5P, while driving on High Speed Ring, if there was a little rough contact with the barrier in T1, the car became uncontrollable for a few seconds after contact with said barrier. The car almost entirely unpredictable.

I can only imagine this has gotten better since.

I use a DFGT wheel, I can't drive with a controller anymore, well I can but I'm much slower and throttle control is pretty scary now
Drift trials are much easier with a controller though!
I'm gonna pick up a G25 2nd hand I think as the pedals are terrible on the DGFT! But the extra buttons are nice, which the G25 doesn't have - sigh

I've had my PS3 since the end of last year, but only picked up GT5 Prologue 2nd hand last week. I've played it solidly everyday since, and have pretty much "finished" it. Plenty of online races, time trials and drift trials as well.

Physics, FFB and feel wise, it's well below the Time Trial, but it is better than GT4 as far as physics go, but it feels worse somehow. FFB and feedback is terrible!

I didn't find all the cars all understeery at all. At first I thought the cars didn't feel too different, but after getting a lot of money saved up, I was able to try them all out and there is quite a big difference between them. The Viper really does feel big, heavy and muscular, but pretty stable. While the 599 seems to shake a bit on Suzuka and feels like it's gonna explode any minute, vs something like the California which is quite a lot more controlled and docile.

The GT-R, is a rocket, handles so well and drops faster times than most of the cars in it's class, but as I mentioned it doesn't like braking into turns. It either oversteers or you lose control. That turn before and the one after the long straight at the High Speed Ring are 2 problem areas for me with the GT-R. When I first encountered this behaviour I thought, surely the GT-R is not like this in real life? This felt more like something like an F40 might do

quote from a GT-R article - seems right I guess
http://www.carsales.com.au/rev ... issan/gtr/nissan-gtr-5556
Quote :Turn-in under that hard braking was also quiet stunning. Whether the GT-R creator's concept of neutralizing, or at least minimizing, the affect of weight transfer works or not is a moot point -- this car hides its weight at the track. It really feels like a much smaller vehicle. At lower speeds on the road it's hard to pick that it's any different from any well sorted conventional sporty, but under extremis on the track it was marked.

That means it's a lively drive, however. Into corners, the GT-R moves around under brakes and once into the corner it responds eagerly to throttle. It will tighten its line with appropriate applications of power and on the way out it's easy to induce power oversteer. Indeed, with the VDC-R set to R mode, it's possible to induce what the clichéd might term 'lurid oversteer'...

The GT-R in GT5:P will certainly stick it's tail out with N3 to S1 tyres which is about what it has in real life - grip wise.
Kaz does own a GT-R (and Ford GT) so he probably knows the deal

I did a whole series of time trials today on Suzuka, and none of the other high end cars, with the same or more power could match the times I could get with a GT-R. I did a 2'13.356 with S2 tyres, ranked 800 or something. So in that regard it's like the real thing
Motul Autech GT-R at Indy road course, same as the one in the Time Trial - sounds as you'd expect it to. Some of the other Super GT cars don't sound like the real things

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3jws2VM3TF8
Quote from CoolColJ :...snip...

I know what you are talking about with the GT-R. That car seems to have gotten the most attention. After picking up GT5P again after some time, I have spent the time to complete all of the events. The past two days I completed C to S. Until recently I had not been able to adjust the cars using quick tune. When I went to adjust the settings for the PP events I noticed the default braking bias is equal front and rear in all cars. I would assume that 50/50 brake bias would cause a lot of over-steer on the brakes, however in most cars that is not the case. The GT-R being the exception.

I think the lack of tire noise while braking is causing me to over brake in the game, which attributes to the under-steer feeling.
There is a tyre noise, but it's a scraping type of sound that gets louder, and then squeals when the tyres lock up, if you have ABS off.
In the Time Trail all you had was one type of squeal sound, which I assume is to keep the file size down.

One thing I tried in the Time Trial, was traveling down a straight at decent speed and then pulling the hand brake. The car instantly flies out of control and spins out etc
Tried this in GT5:P and nothing happens at all, as long as your pointed straight!
Obviously the physics are much different

Also doing salom type sweeping runs doesn't seem upset the car all that much in GT5:P, but it sure does in the Time Trial

When I try to drift in GT5:P the car always reacts the same way, like it's scripted....

----

BTW if you want better grids and decent gameplay online with serious people, especially in the current expert Suzuka 700pp race. Then only start an online game at either 0:00 or 0:30 on any hour according to the clock that is displayed in the online screen when you load up an event. All the forums I know have that set as the times they enter a race. This will have to do for now until we get lobbies etc
What i hear is that GT5 uses sinthetic sound, like LFS? Recpect if true..
Thanks col for the online tip. Ill try to keep that in mind. For now though, I am working to get the F1 car. Only one-million-four-hundred-thousand to go.
Just grind out that 1 lap race with an F40 in the S class - standard physics, bump and barge your way through - You don't even have to win - just place third and collect 45,000 for 2 mins work

You also get paid for online races!

Also there are complete saves you can transfer onto your PS3 that have everything unlocked, all cars, and 2 million in the bank, the most you can hold. I tried one, and the guy has all red cars, which I didn't want to go through all the effort to sell and rebuy in my prefered colour

Quote from Boris Lozac :What i hear is that GT5 uses sinthetic sound, like LFS? Recpect if true..

I think there is some synthetic component in the Sound engine, in past games - but not in the way LFS does it with each firing pop
@coolcolJ

Too late. It took me about an hour doing the s class ford GT time trial:
  • 32,500 per race for third
  • 1,400,00 left to earn
  • 1'15-1'14 per lap + loading times
  • aproxamately 1:30'00 (with estimated loading times)
The actual time it took to gather 2,000,000 cr was about 2:20'00. I had to take care of business a few times because of all the water I was drinking.
So how did you like the Ferrari F1 car? I found it a lot grippier than I expected. The speed can be pretty terrifying though
Quote from Boris Lozac :What i hear is that GT5 uses sinthetic sound, like LFS? Recpect if true..

could save them a hell lot of space on the discs if done right. And it could be easier for the "hear-able" tuning stuff, i.e if you get a N/A Stage 1 Kit, no need for another 4mb of samples, just 1 byte of changes to the engine values in the synthesizer
check out the detail of the Suzuki Rally car drivers!

@coolcolJ

It has a lot of grip like you said. The car had practicaly zero wheel spin the entire time I was testing it out. I thougtht I was driving pretty quick until I saw the record time at Suzuka (where I tested the car). I have never driven an F1 car, but that thing just ain't right.
yeah, those race tires are to grippy when going forward
Is it out now?
Quote from Mustafur :Is it out now?

yeah i just saw the queue at my local game. mnage to get a copy good game i like it.
Quote from brt900 :yeah i just saw the queue at my local game. mnage to get a copy good game i like it.

fail
Some Nurburgring ambient sounds - ala Prologue, as cars go around doing warmup laps. Man this Ring dates back to the same Ring in that special version of Prologue. I've see this track intro in pics dating back several years ago!
Sounds like a ZR-1, then followed by a silver car, could be SLR

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MJQV9C8gZKg
-
(CoolColJ) DELETED by CoolColJ
GT-R Spec V on the ring - pro physics, S2 tyres, ABS=1 etc, no aids
Although I don't think these physics are like Time Trail, somewhere inbetween Prologue and TT as this demo is an older build. S2 tyres are still pretty grippy though, sorta like semi-slick sport tyres

GT-R was probably one of the better sounding/replicated cars in Prologue. The one shown here seems to sound different to what I hear when I'm playing it in Prologue. This one is a Spec V though, but I don't think that would change the sound too much?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uRjavFiKUSU

Also a tuned TVR Tuscan - might be a hint of livery editor there. Union jack flag, extensive mods - with left side outlet exhausts, rims, Goodyear tyres, brakes, wing, and body work
LOL and the funky rear brake lights...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3YZCTHVRdvI
your into gt arnt you?
You can't call yourself a racing game junkie if you aren't into GT
Its just the insane wait for each game to come out that drives people crazy.
Quote from CoolColJ :
Also a tuned TVR Tuscan - might be a hint of livery editor there. Union jack flag, extensive mods - with left side outlet exhausts, rims, Goodyear tyres, brakes, wing, and body work
LOL and the funky rear brake lights...

its more likely the "Tuned version" designed after the British Tuscan Challenge cars
Quote from Mustafur :Its just the insane wait for each game to come out that drives people crazy.

that and when you get it, the physics are old school. I'll be waiting for this one to come out, and trying before i get it, unlike gt4 which i pre ordered, and got the morning it came out. They can't keep calling it a simulation if the physics are going to stay very very basic :/
Quote from senn :that and when you get it, the physics are old school. I'll be waiting for this one to come out, and trying before i get it, unlike gt4 which i pre ordered, and got the morning it came out. They can't keep calling it a simulation if the physics are going to stay very very basic :/

Well they definately weren't 'very very basic' in GT Academy demo.. Physics really were a pleasent surprise... for example, LFS can only dream of that sense of weight, they're not perfect but they were noticably better then Prologue and GT4.. and better then all ISI based sims..

Gran Turismo 5
(7732 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG