The online racing simulator
Quote from PaulC2K :Did a little digging on the karting track, and *THINK* its this place:

http://www.pistainternazionalesiena.com/circuit_english.html

Piazza del Campo gave me Siena, Italy ("Piazza del Campo is the principal public space of the historic center of Siena, Tuscany, Italy"), and Siena Italy Karting gave me them. They've held internation events so its plausable, and their frontpage does have a photo of Mika Hakkinen, so i'd guess its got legs.
Hmm, 'San Galgano' also in the track/location list also comes up as Tuscany, and im sure that close twisty street track in GT4 was Tuscany, so its quite plausable that they've visited the city and moved on to the karting track a short distance away seeing as its a track with international standing.

Ok... i was wrong
http://www.gamersyde.com/strea ... lay_karting-16605_en.html
I hope they have something else better than that as a kart track.

doesnt look very realistic, wheres the red/green shells, banana skins etc

It's this one

Quote from CoolColJ :Course maker detailed - it's better than I expected

Ok it's not 1:1 editing, but still customisable procedural, which is handy in a way to give you a large amount of new "random" tracks

http://au.ps3.ign.com/articles/111/1113842p1.html

Hmm, not the full blown track editor many will have hoped for, but my expectation was that it'd be something far simpler, like our AutoX editor. This seems like it'll satisfy the needs of a lot of people, but its a shame no real locations could be recreated.
Still, just like in the LFS forum, theres always people asking for mountain tracks with elevation change, and it seems like this editor can generate such a location for you.
Should be fun, but i think the relevence of sharing tracks will be fairly trivial because all you've done is tweak a few settings and hit generate, rather than spending time putting thought into corners and layout.
Quote from CoolColJ :It's this one

My thoughts can only be expressed by a series of emoticons i this instance
Quote from PaulC2K :Hmm, not the full blown track editor many will have hoped for, but my expectation was that it'd be something far simpler, like our AutoX editor. This seems like it'll satisfy the needs of a lot of people, but its a shame no real locations could be recreated.
Still, just like in the LFS forum, theres always people asking for mountain tracks with elevation change, and it seems like this editor can generate such a location for you.
Should be fun, but i think the relevence of sharing tracks will be fairly trivial because all you've done is tweak a few settings and hit generate, rather than spending time putting thought into corners and layout.

It'll be great for new mountain touge tracks to explore with your friends!
Drifters will love it a lot no doubt

Quote :Yamauchi created one for the purpose of the demo, a 10km run through the Belgian High Fens. It was sparse but not without sparkle, with rolling hills and fields and the occasional environmental feature like a small village giving it the feeling of a long and winding country road.

They hold a horse race on that course twice a year. There is a proper kart course on Fuji in real life
http://www.sienaonline.it/uploads/piazza_del_campo.jpg
I am so pre ordering this!!
yeah, they must have something similar in Madrid too as its in the opening scene of Vantage Point iirc.

Very odd though, its hardly a track and makes nascar look a challenge
I think most tracks have kart circuits on the land, so hopefully these will be included on a couple of them, and maybe 1 international standard venue like the one i thought it might be. But as long as there are tracks intended for karts then it'll be fine, it'd be daft if they're just town squares with a barrier in the middle, or driving round London, Rome, Madrid etc with a 100cc kart. It'd be like having NASCAR cars and not having an oval or 2 which is where they operate at their best.
Hmm could that Ferrari trailer Tuscany track and the Stelvio Pass inspired one in the FT-86 trailer be a Course Maker auto-generated tracks???
Lol, the old Fiat 500 and Go Karts are premium cars. I can't wait to see how Go Karts will work online.
Go Karts gameplay looks silly to me.. They can't just make a model of Go Karts and apply some random physics, it's really complicated thing to simulate, so it's there just so they can say "hey, we have go karts too".. they could add Boat races too, if they want every single racing in the game..
But to be fair, it was probably driven with gamepad, and go-karts have very small wheel radius, so maybe that's why it looks like that, i won't diss it till i try it with the wheel.. but i'm positive it will be nowhere near the actual karting feel...
The front right tyre puffs up a ton of smoke for no reason, which is impossible, and why the driver moves forward under braking I do not know. Nice to see for sure, but no doubt just a tad gimmicky.
anyone got a link to replay of the full press conference?
Quote from Intrepid :Nice to see for sure, but no doubt just a tad gimmicky.

BUT NOW... GT5 players can train on the ONE PATH to BECOME A REAL KARTOR.. SOON WE WILL HAVE MILLIONS of LEWIS HAMILTONS!.. AND WITH THE TRACK CREATOR.. WE CAN CREATE TRACKS OF LEWIS HAMILTON.. AND OF COURSE, POLYPHONY WILL RELEASE LEWIS HAMILTON AS A CAR..

WE CAN RACE LEWIS HAMILTON AROUND LEWIS HAMILTON AS LEWIS HAMILTON BECOMING LEWIS HAMILTON!

IT'S brilliant!

BBCKARTINGCAPITALISMWOO!

Quote from jibber :i hope this is true!

Also, skid marks... Finally!

please let it be true!
Quote from Intrepid :The front right tyre puffs up a ton of smoke for no reason, which is impossible, and why the driver moves forward under braking I do not know. Nice to see for sure, but no doubt just a tad gimmicky.

Spot on, its a gimmick, just like the "track creation", that the GT series DOES NOT NEED.

They would have been better off using the time to create either more premium cars, more tracks, or some other content.
Quote from danowat : or some other content.

Like a track creator.. that'd be a cool feature that no other racing sim this generation has! or some decent controller support (OH WAIT, IT HAS THAT, UNLIKE FORZA!!)... Maybe some cars (OH WAIT, IT ALREADY HAS MORE THAN ENOUGH!)...

Its diluting the content, personally, I am not happy with the 1000 cars, 800 directly imported from GT4, and only 200 new "premium" cars, personally they could dump the gimmicks and concentrate of more cars with a decent dashboard view.....

No idea why you brought Forza up, I thought this was a GT thread?
Quote from danowat :Its diluting the content, personally, I am not happy with the 1000 cars, 800 directly imported from GT4, and only 200 new "premium" cars, personally they could dump the gimmicks and concentrate of more cars with a decent dashboard view.....

As you will know, it's to gain that extra bit of publicity. And in fairness it has worked. I know plenty of karters now looking at buying GT5, despite knowing it won't be that good. It appears pretty basic from a physics point of view, and graphically probably isn't too time consuming, not for a huge company like that.

I guess if you look at it from a positive point of view the extra revenue these gimmicks bring in, maybe the extra revenue can be poured into improving the core of Gran Turismo. that may be a tad too over-optimistic
Quote from danowat :Its diluting the content, personally, I am not happy with the 1000 cars, 800 directly imported from GT4, and only 200 new "premium" cars, personally they could dump the gimmicks and concentrate of more cars with a decent dashboard view.....

No idea why you brought Forza up, I thought this was a GT thread?

Might as well take jabs at an inferior product
Quote from danowat :just like the "track creation", that the GT series DOES NOT NEED.

Maybe I'm imagining the wrong kind of "track generator" here, but I'd say that an endless amount of possible tracks is rather awesome.
I'm pretty sure that I would still be playing LFS if it had this feature.

Vain
Quote from Vain :Maybe I'm imagining the wrong kind of "track generator" here, but I'd say that an endless amount of possible tracks is rather awesome.
I'm pretty sure that I would still be playing LFS if it had this feature.

Vain

From what I've read, it sounds more awesome than its probably going to be.

Apparently, you select a "region" (from what I read, there is two, "Beligian fens" and "Toscana"?), each of these are quite sparse, and you just create your track on one of these regions.

It sounds fairly uninspiring to me, maybe it will be good, I guess we'll wait and see.

Gran Turismo 5
(7732 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG