The online racing simulator
I made an animated GIF showing what I'm talking about

See the torn front splitter section flapping about? And that small tear off the main one?
Also note the sparks fall back onto the ground and get left behind like physical objects

The splitter actually tearing and then flapping from the aerodynamics is quite complex and hard to do, first I've seen of this in a game
Most games just have pre-scripted solid pieces falling off and breaking in whole chunks. Never has there been dynamic tearing and shredding

The damage looks like pieces should have come off, but they just disappeared

----

I thought the collision physics were ok in the Time Trial. It might be because the beta demo footage shown was run in standard physics

See the tuned 370z spin when it made contact with the wall
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UduDpXJn3bE

And this animated gif someone made from E3 - AI car getting pushed back by the momentum of the player's car. It looks correct to me
http://i49.tinypic.com/24loe4w.gif
In the first gif that front corner looks like it is below the the level the road rather than flapping around.

With the damage aside, the game looks good.
Quote from legoflamb :In the first gif that front corner looks like it is below the the level the road rather than flapping around.

With the damage aside, the game looks good.

A few people thought so as well, but not me

The shadows and perspective just doesn't seem consistent to me if that's clipping, from me being an artist and 3D renderer
I have the video in my editor, and when I go frame by frame, I can see the splitter actually bending.

Guess we'll find out for sure, come November

2 consecutive frame animated gif - pretty clear to me that is not clipping - look at the shadow under the flapping parts
The shadow indicates depth and distance from the road.
Quote from CoolColJ :I have the video in my editor, and when I go frame by frame, I can see the splitter actually bending.

Wishful thinking... It's clipping, 100 %...
Yes, coolcolj, you spend too much time with gt5... take a break It really looks like clipping

In the interviwe above that guy say that even the track disappeard, so its probably just a bug.
I think this guy is jut another fan-boy sure Gt5 wil be fun but not as epic as you claim it will be.

And no its clipping not bending.
Quote from CoolColJ :*snip*

Car is heading in a slightly different direction and is leaning over more to left side in 2nd frame, 100% clipping. The moving shadow is just the car changing direction.
Yep, the splitter is definitely going under the road.
I have been waiting for this game for over 2 years now, I had pre ordered the about 3 months ago for the collectors addition. Cant wait till November the 2nd!!!!
November 3rd for Europe.

Just announced.
Get ready, there will be sparkles flying everyhwere!
Quote from Boris Lozac :Get ready, there will be sparkles flying everyhwere!

YAY fairy sparkles I see allot of school skipping on that wensday
More premium cars

Miura

Looks like a lot of the older popular performance Japanese cars are premium.
Maybe the whole RX-7 range is all premium, and the Evos as well
There are more premium cars than we think
i bet 200 of the 250 premium cars I skylines
hopefully on GT5 bump drafting with the stockcars wont make the rear bumper completely torn up!
Quote from mutt107 :hopefully on GT5 bump drafting with the stockcars wont make the rear bumper completely torn up!

I worry about the actual physics of the drafting.. on some videos it was awfull, like it speeds up your car highly unrealisticly..
Quote from Boris Lozac :I worry about the actual physics of the drafting.. on some videos it was awfull, like it speeds up your car highly unrealisticly..

I believe it was fixed in one of the builds used in the irish GT Academy finals

Massive scoop from Gamescon!
Karting - there is a Piazza del Campo karting only track
Autodromo Nationale Monza circuit
a non-functioning “course maker” option visible in the menus

some cars seen in the demo

Ferrari P4 Race ‘67
PDI Racing Kart 100
XJ13 ‘66
MkIV Ford ‘67
Zonda R ‘09
IS-F concept ‘08
Impreza Sedan ‘10
Z4 M Coupe ‘08
TTS Coupe ‘09
500F ‘68
500 1.2 8v Lounge SS ‘08
Miura P400 Bertone Prototype
C30 R-design
C3 Convertible
M5 ‘08

skidmarks seen here
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5OZSSrDR7D8

http://www.andriasang.com/e/blog/2010/08/18/flying_get/

Quote :GT5 Interview - Weather changes in realtime while racing; Driver's management is extremely important in this game; Endurance races also have this weather feature; A-Spec & B-Spec are both equivalent in this game but they're included separately in the game

Quote :
]It looks like there's a Kaz interview in Famitsu this week. I haven't been keeping up with GT5, so I'm not sure what's new, but here's what Game Jouhou has in its summary:

The game includes elements surrounding the driver's personality, strength and mental condition.
There's importance placed on driver management
During endurance races, you can swap out drivers
The weather will change in real time during races
The game will have racing modifications, although not for all cars

-
(CoolColJ) DELETED by CoolColJ
Quote :
The game will have racing modifications, although not for all cars

I hope this is true!

Also, skid marks... finally!
Japanese CE details shows what's in the Apex book - looks like something worth getting.
That blue PS3 is nice!

http://www.gran-turismo.com/jp/products/gt5/campaign/

Driving mechanism , described in tuning , as well as the history of the automobile , motorsport technology to the future of car related knowledge condensed into 308 pages .
[ Gran Turismo 5 has been recorded on an index of courses and cars .
Chapter 1: Driving Techniques moving car
Chapter 2:Mechanism to know how the car
Chapter 3:Make the car Tuning & Settings
Chapter 4:Photo Mode cut a secret moment
Chapter 5: Course Index
Chapter 6: Car Index

-----

Race sim central Gamescon update
http://www.racesimcentral.com/ ... -5-first-gamescom-update/
Did a little digging on the karting track, and *THINK* its this place:

http://www.pistainternazionalesiena.com/circuit_english.html

Piazza del Campo gave me Siena, Italy ("Piazza del Campo is the principal public space of the historic center of Siena, Tuscany, Italy"), and Siena Italy Karting gave me them. They've held internation events so its plausable, and their frontpage does have a photo of Mika Hakkinen, so i'd guess its got legs.
Hmm, 'San Galgano' also in the track/location list also comes up as Tuscany, and im sure that close twisty street track in GT4 was Tuscany, so its quite plausable that they've visited the city and moved on to the karting track a short distance away seeing as its a track with international standing.

Ok... i was wrong
http://www.gamersyde.com/strea ... lay_karting-16605_en.html
I hope they have something else better than that as a kart track.

doesnt look very realistic, wheres the red/green shells, banana skins etc
Quote :joining today's gran turismo 5's release date announcement, we have some commentary on the game from producer kazunori yamauchi himself courtesy of this week's famitsu.

Famitsu has a full look at the various announcements that sony made (or in some cases will be making -- famitsu actually hits shelves tomorrow) for gran turismo 5 in germany at the gamescon event. These include:

The gt life menu
car dealer, license and other areas return for this core part of the gt experience. A spec and b spec modes have separate menus.
realtime weather changes
past gt games have had static weather. In gt5, some races will see dynamic weather changes as you race. You'll need to adjust your settings and strategy in accordance with the weather.
Take 3d photos in photo mode
gt5 was already confirmed to be compatible with 3d output for when you race, and has been demoed in such a state at multiple events (the box even has a logo boasting of 3d compatibility). Sony has now revealed that you can take 3d pictures in the game's photo mode. You can view these pictures on 3d compatible televisions and photo viewers.
My lounge in the online menu
the game's main online menu adds a "my lounge" community area which can only be entered by certain users. Using this lounge area, you can chat and play with just your friends. Of course, the game also has open matching as well.

Yamauchi discussed these and other areas of the game in a short interview with the magazine.

Famitsu first pointed out that the gamescom announcements at last detail some of gt5's gameplay systems. Yamauchi replied that the announcements represent just a part of what's being worked on over at polyphony.

As a major feature for gt5, yamauchi mentioned that the game gives equal billing to a spec and b spec modes. In the previous gt, b spec was included as an experimental component. In gt5, however, both a spec and b spec modes can be played from start to finish. They're both full experiences. The race categories and other areas are basically the same between the two.

"basically" the same, but not identical. There are some differences. a certain race in a spec will be three laps, while the same race in b spec will be 15 minutes. The reason for such differences is that b spec is meant to be a mode where players can enjoy strategy.

yamauchi feels that gt5 makes clearer the difference between a spec and b spec. Both have been built up as individual games.

For b spec mode, the driver growth component has been made more detailed. Gt5 adds in elements of driver personality, physical strength and mental strength. Drivers may get tired during long drives and becoming more mistake prone. Driver management has become more important for gt5.

So why did yamauchi and crew want to make b spec into a true mode with gt5? Explained yamauchi, gt5's user base consists of two types of players, those who have great skills, and those who simply like cars and races but aren't particularly good at gaming. The team wanted to deal with the problem of only some players being successful at the game. Making it so that players of all levels can enjoy the game in the same way requires some extremely tough balance on the development team's part. The b spec specification is one answer to this issue.

B spec is not just a mode meant to help beginners, of course. Yamauchi pointed out that only b spec gives players the feeling being a team leader and raising a driver while enjoying the occasional happening.

He also noted that you can have multiple drivers on your team. This can be useful for long races, as you can switch out drivers.

Outside of the a spec and b spec modes, famitsu also asked yamauchi about the game's my lounge feature. As detailed above, this lounge is a private area for your friends. Yamauchi noted that players in your lounge can sit and watch races, or they can shout out jeers, which are heard by drivers.

One of the reasons my lounge exists is because in the "open match" online system of past gt games, the online lobbies turned into an area just for top players. Yamauchi feels that this is useful if you want a true challenge, but if you want something slower and more relaxed, my lounge is good.

Yamauchi also mentioned one additional enjoyable element about the my lounge area. Each player has their own lounge, so players can experience the fun of going to a friends place to play the game.

turning to the dynamic weather system, yamauchi said that this is an area that's still undergoing adjustments. This is why they can't say at present if it's something that will be available in all courses and for all races.

on the topic of changes to the game's photo mode, yamauchi mentioned the 3d photo support and encouraged everyone to try it out, even though it requires a 3d compatible tv or photo viewer.

Japanese interviews usually end with the interviewee giving some general message to users. Not this time! Yamauchi closed off with a surprise. He revealed that gt5 will feature a revival of the racing modify menu, an option that was last featured in gt2. It won't work for all the game's cars, of course, but the staff is trying to realize it for the cars players will be expecting.

x
Quote from PaulC2K :
Ok... i was wrong
http://www.gamersyde.com/strea ... lay_karting-16605_en.html
I hope they have something else better than that as a kart track.

doesnt look very realistic, wheres the red/green shells, banana skins etc

Meh, that track looks so boring, there must be a few karting tracks lol, besides that they do look fairly realistic to drive, but the crashes look poor

Cant wait to drive the kart around Nordschleife

Gran Turismo 5
(7732 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG