The online racing simulator
Even if the surroundings are rather sparse, it's gotta be better than Westhill. And admit it, half the people on this forum would sacrifice their firstborn child for a second Westhill in LFS.

Vain
Quote from danowat :From what I've read, it sounds more awesome than its probably going to be.

Apparently, you select a "region" (from what I read, there is two, "Beligian fens" and "Toscana"?), each of these are quite sparse, and you just create your track on one of these regions.

It sounds fairly uninspiring to me, maybe it will be good, I guess we'll wait and see.

Then if you havent bothered reading to understand what it is, how the hell can you come in here and start telling people its not what GT5 needs??
Go bloody read about something your going to mindlessly slag off, then come back and moan, dont just be lazy and decide your going to insult it based on your own ignorance.

And why is a track editor not what GT5 needs? and who are you to decide anyway? I couldnt give a crap about driving go karts, nor NASCAR, but i happen to think there are plenty of people who do care and they'll appreciate that. Just because something isnt to your taste doesnt mean it is devoid of value to others.

Attitudes like yours really piss me off.
Quote from Vain :Maybe I'm imagining the wrong kind of "track generator" here, but I'd say that an endless amount of possible tracks is rather awesome.
I'm pretty sure that I would still be playing LFS if it had this feature.

Vain

in fact, lfs does have a track editor thingy..... just go on blackwood and set ramps everywhere and there u go, a '' new '' track.
Quote from Vain :Even if the surroundings are rather sparse, it's gotta be better than Westhill. And admit it, half the people on this forum would sacrifice their firstborn child for a second Westhill in LFS.

Vain

They had 2 locations available to demo the creation tool, and i've yet to read anyone comment on Toscana.
The Belgian Fens is basically the Spa region, and as we all know from the many races around Spa its a lot like Vegas you cant move for things! Its certainly not tree after tree after tree, with a pokey little hut every few miles
As for Toscana, its a very open countryside venue, as seen in the Rally clips and most notably the day-night cycle videos.

The main benefit for the course maker is probably going to be for the folks who love rallying, because the tool isnt a full blown editor but a bunch of features which the user has control over, things like frequency of corners, how aggresive they are, altitude changes... stuff like that, and each stage can be customised in that respect (so you can have twisty sectors, and high speed sectors, a lot like Nordschleife). It doesnt sound like you can customise each corner, or populate areas, its basically a track generator (course maker), rather than a track editor/creator.

A full blown editor would have been great, and a lot like in LBP there will be some absolute rubbish, but the great content will find its way to the top, but sadly it a largely automated tool, which is why i think its going to be the rallying folks, and people who crave mountain courses to cruise around. But as you say, Westhill isnt exactly Monaco, nor is Aston, but it doesnt stop them from being challenging tracks. They've had thought put into the layout, which a auto-generated track wont have, but im sure they'll be fun for many people. Some folks will do lap after lap of the green hell, some will want a constant supply of new tracks.
Some new photos released on GTPlanet, including kart renders:
http://www.gtplanet.net/63-stu ... ns-classics-zonda-r-more/

Last one is Toscana btw. Those classic cars just look amazing, theres a couple more on there and they look jawdroppingly good. Not really bothered about historical cars, but cant help but admit how good an image they make around there.
You beat CCJ? He's not gonna be happy about that.

An Alfa Romeo 147 is a premium car? I don't get how they select which cars should be premium. :grumpy:
Quote from danowat :Its diluting the content, personally, I am not happy with the 1000 cars, 800 directly imported from GT4, and only 200 new "premium" cars, personally they could dump the gimmicks and concentrate of more cars with a decent dashboard view.....

No idea why you brought Forza up, I thought this was a GT thread?

Cos he's constantly got a point to prove about how Forza is bad (because it's XBOX) and how GT is good (because it's SONY) based on no substance. He refuses to like Forza, whether or not he has played it.

Ya'no guys, it's not a ****ing crime to happen to like/love/enjoy both Forza AND Gran Turismo!

But I agree with Danowat, GT doesn't need a track generator, I think the track creator is more for gymkhana than anything else.
Akshully I believe, like above, the Track Creator will be more for rally folks who like to "make their own trail"

Trust me... Doing the same rally track over and over does kind of suck ... =/

Plus, as a racer, I actually enjoy all racing. Go-Karts, NASCAR, Rally.. a lot of the stuff LFS just doesn't do well yet. Actually, I've found myself playing more iRacing, but even iRacing doesn't have rally.

And as a person who plays more games than the guy who sells me games at gamestop (i made him sad, lol) I personally dislike Forza.

For 3 reasons:

Crap Handling: I mean.. Am i a brick? I understand being tight, but... even when i'm sliding i feel like my car is tight. What the crap is that.

Pitiful attention to detail: I mean, the tracks do look pretty neat. Bumpmapping is nice. But, my problem is that compared to games like iRacing, LFS, or GT5, the cars just... look cartoony. Too tall, some too wide, some just.. messed up. People tell me at work (i work in an electronics area, where we s.... I work for walmart. ._. I hate them though. At least it's not best buy. ^_^ They're douchbags.) anyways, people come in and tell me Forza looks the most realistic. I show them a GT5 trailer, then they go "Well.. uh... um... uh... PS3 doesn't have HALO!" (Legit Story. Me and my coworkers lol'd.)

Lastly, Poor Camera: I hate GT5 for it's camera. But at least their incar views look nice. Forza's just has poor distancing and crap. Mind, I play all sorts of racing games. I hate Forza's camera view more than i hate rFactors.. and rFactor has adjustable seating.

Hell... i hate it more than Arma II's camera... and that's a war game x.x though i've gotten used to it.

So, point is.... Yeah.. Forza's great for consoles.. but.... after playing the recent Nissan/Indy demo for GT5 about 4 months ago... I enjoy that more. (Plus, i live in indy.. and seeing indy... it was... almost an exact replication. I just wish they didn't do the fake wall BS. =/ They don't put tire barriers on Ovals for roadcourse versions... they use cones. ._. do not clutter my vision with crap! I want realism!
See the glimpses of the track on Tuscan countryside, that's what I suspect the Course Maker will do. Especially since Kaz did say Toscana was one of the track environment options
Hopefully variable time of day and weather on these tracks is in....

The bits on the brown countryside
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3TXpXclylWg

And if Belgain High fens are in, that means Kaz must have visited the area to research the landscape, which also means he was there doing Spa for GT5. All these major 24 hour tracks, it makes sense
-
(CoolColJ) DELETED by CoolColJ
Quote from Furiously-Fast :You beat CCJ? He's not gonna be happy about that.

An Alfa Romeo 147 is a premium car? I don't get how they select which cars should be premium. :grumpy:

Premium doesn't mean an expensive flash car, it just means modelled to extreme details that's all. So there are both cheap/slow and expensive supercar Premiums

Oh yeah check these pics out!
http://gthq.nl/home/nieuws/333 ... creenshots-gran-turismo-5

more vids

Ferarri P4 on Monza
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0etgcNs2p5c
Karting
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GKBXJ6Hs3lQ
Zonda R at Madrid
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=et4rkuGApZY
Well, can't complain about graphics.
Quote from PaulC2K :Snip.....

Its called having an opinion you arrogant shite.

I am sure most people are sensible enough to realise that, and can make up their own minds on what THEY think the GT series needs.

People like YOU piss me off, telling people they can't have their own opinion, idiot.
Embargo lifted - First article up
http://www.1up.com/do/previewPage?cId=3180955

Point to point tracks is in on the Course Maker, plus weather and time of day!
Hopefully you can save the random seed number so you can recreate the very exact same course again if you want.

Quote :The idea is that after selecting a theme (such as "early evening in Toscana" or "Germany in spring"), you'd then tell it to tweak some parameters (such as number of sections, one-way versus looped courses, weather, and time), and tell it to crunch those factors into a randomly generated map. Yamauchi likes the fact that "each course generated will be a genuine surprise" through this system. Of course, you can also share courses and race online with buddies in your creation.

Yamauchi demonstrates the Course Maker by selecting a Toscana theme and making it a one-way course with four sections. He does stuff like fiddle with the numbers for the frequency of curves, the sharpness of corners, and even the degree of topography. It's super fast and easy to tweak these numbers and then go right into a test drive before sharing the track with buddies -- and he demonstrated how fast the game can just create random and varied courses even when crunching the same numbers and parameters.

And Kart physics

Quote :Yamauchi comments that GT5 can now "recreate the dynamic movements specific to karts" and that there's a whole set of "peculiar racing geometries and suspensions" in addition to the movement of the driver himself, that all come to play when racing karts. It's such a weird little system that the team is hurriedly focused on tweaking and tuning this specific feature as we speak, but it's a welcome feature to me. Yamauchi is hoping that this special kart-racing mode will appeal to beginners, and as someone who has respected, but not necessarily enjoyed, Gran Turismo throughout the years, I might actually play this one. Because look at how realistic and physically modeled-and-sound that guy in a go-kart is!

----

http://kotaku.com/5615638/gran ... urse-creation-kart-racing

Quote :Instead, Gran Turismo 5's Course Maker lets you build a custom racetrack based on a set of parameters. Players can select a theme, choose the number of sections and course type (one way or loop), weather, time of day and length. Two of the themes shown off were Toscany and the Belgian High Fens.

The Course Maker lets you edit that track section-by-section, choosing the frequency of curves, course width, sharpness of corners, degree of topography tracing, and bank angles. Those choices are set by sliders or drop down lists. Yamauchi created a pair of custom tracks, both with the same theme but with different parameters. He quickly took each for a test drive, illustrating how quickly a player could create two very different courses

Quote :Yamauchi then points out that GT5 has a Course Maker, not a course editor. He initially wanted to offer a tool that would allow players to create everything from scratch, but that would require producing a crazy-intensive CG tool that would intimidate players too much.

Interesting to see B-Spec is in GT5, I'd forgotten about that mode!
-
(CoolColJ) DELETED by CoolColJ
Whoa... But are there any screenies when you're actually editing the track?
Yay, 2nd hand car dealer is back

Looks like my PS3 may finally get some serious usage!!!
Quote from speed1230 :Whoa... But are there any screenies when you're actually editing the track?

It's procedurally generated. So no 1:1 editing

http://www.eurogamer.net/artic ... -turismo-5-preview?page=2

Quote :
Yamauchi does a quick demo but there's hardly time to take it in because then he's on to the Course Maker. "This isn't something you would use to make an exact recreation of a road," says Yamauchi, scotching visions of a proper 3D track creator. "But you can make tracks that suit parameters you specify."
He switches to the game and starts by picking a theme - sunset in Toscana, although there appear to be lots of others - before playing with some slider bars and dropdowns to change the number of sectors, course type (one-way or loop), weather and time of day. Tracks can be up to 10km long.
He then jumps into the game via the Test Drive button and within seconds he's zooming down highways through parched fields and villages. He exits back to the Course Maker screen and tunes a couple of sectors, changing the frequency of curves, course width, sharpness of corners, degree of topography tracing and bank angles. When he hits Test Drive again he's facing a totally different course of rising straights and increasingly sharp, technical corners.

"It's not practical to have a regular course creator," says Yamauchi, "because it ends up being a complicated 3D tool and nobody would be able to use it." Course Maker certainly looks easy to use.

and B-Spec

Quote :While A-Spec concerns itself with straight-up racing, B-Spec is about managing a team of drivers. Races play out in a "command view" where you can watch one of up to six drivers on your books through a main viewer, keep an eye on tyre wear and relative positions, and issue instructions.

There are several other ways to keep track of your driver's progress. You can go to a full racing view and switch between standard in-game camera angles, and you can switch to a live timing view showing sector times, best and last laps, and the gap between cars.

Every screen shows you your driver's mental and physical endurance levels and whether he's calm or agitated by what's going on. You then issue instructions - to slow down, maintain pace, speed up, attempt to overtake, pit or not pit. Drivers should listen to you, but you need to manage them carefully, because an agitated driver may ignore you.

CCJ - Our GT5 news reporter. Awesome stuff though.

edit: woah, this really looks nice.
-
(brandons48) DELETED by brandons48
heh, one 1 more news article

more than 70 unique tracks, but no cockpits for standard cars

http://www.gtplanet.net/gamesc ... out-session-full-details/

Quote :However, he was able to confirm that the number of unique courses available in the game is “more than 70″ – with the added scope of online Course Maker circuits – and that despite their best efforts to respond to criticism about standard car interiors, they were not able to implement cockpit camera (even one similar to GTPSP’s) in GT5 – a source of some disappointment to Kazunori, who is never happy to let down his fans and is probably his own biggest critic.

Kart has a chattering sound, and it looks like you can tip over
http://eu.gran-turismo.com/au/gallery/d14252.html
Quote from danowat :Its called having an opinion you arrogant shite.

I am sure most people are sensible enough to realise that, and can make up their own minds on what THEY think the GT series needs.

People like YOU piss me off, telling people they can't have their own opinion, idiot.

Its the opinion of someone who proclaims it as fact and then later proves that he hasnt even bothered to spend 5min reading about what he's preaching about!
How can you make statements saying its not what GT5 needs when you havent got a bloody clue what your talking about because your too ignorant to go read about it, thats not an opinion, that just pulling pre-determined crap out of thin air. Its impossible to have a valued opinion on anything you know nothing about, and your comments proved that.
Quote from danowat :Interesting to see B-Spec is in GT5, I'd forgotten about that mode!

http://www.gtplanet.net/gamesc ... out-session-full-details/

Its all on there, theres quite a lot said about it, infact it sounds f*cking epic, so read it from there (amongst all the other info from Tuesdays chat) as the photos explain some things.

They've got by far the best write-up of it all by a country mile, and didnt go leaking everything while everyone else around them was.
Quote from PaulC2K :Its the opinion of someone who proclaims it as fact and then later proves that he hasnt even bothered to spend 5min reading about what he's preaching about!
How can you make statements saying its not what GT5 needs when you havent got a bloody clue what your talking about because your too ignorant to go read about it, thats not an opinion, that just pulling pre-determined crap out of thin air. Its impossible to have a valued opinion on anything you know nothing about, and your comments proved that.

All your comments go to prove is that you're a pretensious, self centred, arrogant, aggresive prick, and you have the honour of being my 2nd person on ignore

I look forward to never reading your posts again
sometimes i love youtube comments...

Quote :I'm sick of all these tw*s spending their whole demo time crashing into walls in an attempt to see the damage. It's f*ng retarded.

Gran Turismo 5
(7732 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG