The online racing simulator
Rockingham coming to LFS
(1248 posts, started )
I think this marks a big change for LFS here..

Originally we considered S1 & S2 as stages of the game including content - this marks the end of this.

We know have game versions - 0.1, 0.3 (S1), 0.5 (S2) etc, which are (at the moment) free (albeit with limited content).

We know also have content - S0 (i.e. - demo) has 3 cars and 1 track. S1 gives you a few extra cars and tracks, and then S2 gives you a few more. S3 will (from what I gather) give you even more cars and even more tracks, however at the moment it's just 1 car and track.

Think about it this way - if you wanted a released S3 with 3 laser scanned tracks and 10 more cars that is (literally) going to take years. Plural. If you want to wait that long, and then spend your £12, then go for it - but Scawen is deciding to bow in a little earlier and pay now and drive some of the cars when they are done, and then the others when they are done (probably to quell the "why are we waiting this sux" brigade).

Yes, LFS development is getting slow - but no-one can really say they feel hard done by with the £24 they've spent - they will STILL get updates to the physics and main program, just no more cars / tracks.

If it's boring and slow - go play something else. nK Pro still works (?), as does rFactor, and whatever pap passes for a racing sim these days - but dont expect to get much love in 2 years time posting on the NFS Shift forum asking where your extra content is without spending a £0.01 more.
seems like people tend to make good news to bad and start flaming as soon as possible, way to go lads, you are awesome, i think i've seen a bit too much crying for today!
Hi there, I'd just like to reply to some questions I've seen asked several times :

1) The laser scanning process

The hardest thing was trying to arrange days. We were trying to get the laser scanning done last year in Rockingham's high season, and there were very few days available. The apr guys needed 2 to 3 days to do the scanning (preferably not weekends). It turned out to be 3 days to get all areas scanned, plus one day when they went there and it was just raining, I seem to remember.

Anyway, I think they took a pickup truck and drove to various points around the track. The laser scanner was mounted on the truck and the camera (which took a photo to add colour) was mounted on the scanner. I don't know much about the scanner but I think the laser beam is deflected by a rotating mirror. That light hits the ground or an object and somehow that is interpreted as a 3d point in space. I'm sure you can find a much better description, I didn't really need to know exactly how it works.

They take scans from various points, to maintain the accuracy and make sure they see the back of things and cover all areas. They stick some spikes in the ground as reference points to line up the data (points in the point cloud) taken from several observation points.

We designed a convenient file format that just had x, y, z, r, g, b for every point which is all we needed. apr stitched the data together and uploaded it for us. The original data is very thick near the scanner and more sparse further away. After thinning and some more processing by me, the file we used was about 350 MB.

2) Licenses and versions

Some people made various comments on this. It's right what some people said - we are moving gradually away from the software versions being named S1, S2, S3 and so on. The S numbers are license names and really refer to the content you can access (cars, tracks, certain functions). It makes a bit less sense now to call the version of LFS "S1" or "S2" . The software is continually developing. Anyway this frees us from having to "finish" S2 before releasing S3 content. It's not clear what "finishing S2" means any more. The LFS software and content can just keep improving and we can gradually do the features and improvements that we want to over time.

One thing we discussed was the possibility of just calling the software "Live for Speed 0.6A" and forget about the Alpha / Beta tag. It's very stable software so doesn't really need those tags. There are several things that can be improved and added but that is beside the point. I hope that explains a bit more what we are thinking. The version number being less than 1.0 does express that it still has a way to go.
If he says Its going to be in S3? Which is NOT Announced yet,

Cant we buy it soon..

I Know hes only announced 1 track with s3

And S3 Will probably be out in like 3 years,

But i wana pre-order it

aswell

Question to Scawen:

Who was the guy watching us play on LFS At Rockingham?
Quote from Jordan2007 : Question to Scawen:

Who was the guy watching us race on LFS At Rockingham?

He would just be a Rockingham employee, I saw him about in other places on the Sunday as there was a different guy doing it.
Ohh, He was annoying me Kept saying, 'Do you like the game' and Saying About how i done every corner.

The guy didnt seem to understand the sentance..: 'I Play on LFS At home.'
I can't wait to drive the Scirrocco / FBM / Rockingham combos.

Because for the first time ever we can be on track with all real life content.
Ohh Please scawen, Set it up for the last meeting of BTCC And laser scan Brands hatch A Fox and Brands hatch will do me for the rest of my life.
scipy <3
Thank you for keeping us posted!
Scawen: I hope it's not a rude question, but how much does the laser scanning of the whole track, like Rockingham, cost?
Thanks for the reply Scawen, will read up more about this process
Maybe this helps people wanting to know more about laser scanning:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/3D_scanner

Anyway, I'm glad the whole S1/2/3 thing is clear now (at least for me) it is just to make clear how much of the available content you can use, not the 'stage' the game is in. So now we can all stfu about it

Well LFS doesn't run on my laptop anymore.. something with crossover got screwed when i updated to 10.6.. but i'll be getting a S3 license as soon as it's available.. and I'm saving money to get me a proper 'gaming-rig' so i can actually play lfs the way it's supposed to be..
send version demo to my team for go testing Lol.

My english not good.
Quote from yuen_drifter :send version demo to my team for go testing Lol.

My english not good.

Neither is your brain
amazing........
Quote from yuen_drifter :send version demo to my team for go testing Lol.

My english not good.

I just lol'd my soul out!
was a joke, enderly angry
Quote from Sponge :
Well LFS doesn't run on my laptop anymore.. something with crossover got screwed when i updated to 10.6.. but i'll be getting a S3 license as soon as it's available.. and I'm saving money to get me a proper 'gaming-rig' so i can actually play lfs the way it's supposed to be..

Sponge, Crossover would have borked up because of X11 being changed/updated. If you wait and watch the Crossover site, there should be an update soon enough that will fix it.

EDIT: http://www.codeweavers.com/support/wiki/CXOfficeMissingX11 ... Maybe that's the issue you have?
Quote from dawesdust_12 :Sponge, Crossover would have borked up because of X11 being changed/updated. If you wait and watch the Crossover site, there should be an update soon enough that will fix it.

EDIT: http://www.codeweavers.com/support/wiki/CXOfficeMissingX11 ... Maybe that's the issue you have?

I tried.. but i'll retry thnx

edit:
it runs again.. but very low fps.. even in singleplayer pretty much unplayable
Scipy, I want to have your babies. :lovies3d:

What's this about an update? :sleep2:
Quote from Scawen :One thing we discussed was the possibility of just calling the software "Live for Speed 0.6A" and forget about the Alpha / Beta tag.

Good decision, it's finally time to make this step after 4 years of alpha.
Quote from Scawen :One thing we discussed was the possibility of just calling the software "Live for Speed 0.6A" and forget about the Alpha / Beta tag. It's very stable software so doesn't really need those tags.

I always assumed that it was alpha because it didn't have all the desired features implemented. Since there's countless things that can still be added I figured alpha would stick around for years, then we'd be in beta for all of two weeks since you fix bugs as you go.

Alpha - not all features implemented
Beta - not all bugs fixed

Rockingham coming to LFS
(1248 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG