The online racing simulator
There's only so much you can work on at once though, especially with a team of only 3. Bringing the other tracks and cars up to the same level of detail would only push release dates back even further.

Quote from chunkyracer :you´ll have a new track added, that for what you can see, you´ll have a greater level of detail, and most likely a different feel from the rest.

Are you suggesting they laser-scan fictional locations?
Quote from scipy :IMO this is all very twaty behaviour by the devs.. first it's "we'll try and keep you in the loop since ur a loyal community", then it's "we don't have a timetable so you can't blame us for delays", then it's "we've decided to totally exclude you from the loop because of all the HATE we've received for delaying the December 2008 patch".. and now it's "oh new tire physics BUT we still don't know when......[snip]

there's some truth in there LFS is not just a game for people here, its like football team you're fan off, thus people get upset if its development slows to a crawl
See how the thread changed from being an announcement to a complaints list.
Quote from Intermediate07 :Agree to some points, but I'm sure that the next patch wont be delayed.

hope dies last huh?

i agree with scipy, too.

Its great to hear about all this new things and so on but im doing hard at believing it will get released any time soon.
Does it matter if it's released soon? If so, why?

Would you be happier if Scavier announced that LFS was canned, and that LFS2 was due out in January 2010, for £36?

Everyone here has had a great deal on a great game. It's set to get even better (famous last words!), and only requires a tiny extra payment. If you can't afford it, how come you are able to sit on a forum and post about it? Shouldn't you be out cutting trees down or making shoes?

LFS is alive and well. Work in continuing on it. So what if we can't have the fancy new things NOW. We know they are coming, and they'll be lovely when they come. If you think LFS is dead, go and play something else. If you think rFactor, GTR or iRacing are better, then go and play them.

But you will leave behind a lot of people who are happy to wait, and who think LFS is very good at what it does (but not perfect - nobody thinks that).
Quote from Crashgate3 :
Are you suggesting they laser-scan fictional locations?

No, but maybe the info gathered by laser scanning real locations could be used to improve the fictional locations, or we´ll end up with everyone using the laser scanned track, because all the others feel "fake" in comparison...
can I have the American Rockingham instead?
Why?
Any complaints about having to pay a bit more money are completely ridiculous. In my opinion we should regard ourselves fortunate that the VW is coming free to current licence holders.

S3 has to start somewhere and it needs some content to be in it. Paying a little bit more money to start the S3 ball rolling and getting Rockingham as well as this mysterious new car I think is a good start. Later on I am sure S3 will grow with additional content which will be free to S3 licence holders.

It's just a cycle of progression. I'm sure there were a few S1 licence holders that were annoyed when S2 content appeared. It's called progress.
I can see how if you've only just bought an S2 licence then the prospect of another £12 (or somewhere around that) with only one track and one car "promised" might seem a bit expensive. Particularly if that £24 for S2 was hard to get a hold of, and let's face it, for some people in some countries it will have been.

For many of us the last time we paid for anything LFS related is what, 5 years ago? So this £12(maybe) will seem like £12(maybe) on top of nothing. If the content you get for that £12(maybe) is just Rockingham and one extra car, though, then I will give a wry smile. I think it would be pretty obvious then for the vast majority of the time over those 5 years, whenever someone on here has said "New stuff will come when it's ready, they're working on it!" they've been wrong.

I think I stopped feeling like a valued loyal customer a long time ago when I realised that they did not want to provide any extra tracks (free or otherwise) in the forseeable future, or cars unless there's an extra motive, and that communication of that and other progress information with me (and other sane loyal customers) was not something they really cared about anymore. Still, I'd be happy to pay at this stage for something new, and I guess that's what they were counting on all along. Still a loyal customer, I suppose, but somewhat demoralised.
End of the day guys, no matter what happens, we've got a stonkingly good sim which offers high value for money. I would go out and pay another £12 any day if it meant that I'm getting more enjoyment out of the game.

The fact is, what Scawen, Eric and Victor have produced is pretty much a small miracle, I've worked on games where there's only a couple of people involved and trust me, the rate in which art gets turned around can be pretty slow and if you go up the wrong avenue either art or code wise, it can be very time consuming as well as expensive to get back on track, where as larger teams can easily pool in more people to get back on track.

The only way the team would be able to fulfil everybody's wish lists would be to hire more artists, coders, etc but it's not the way they work.

Other alternative is to enlist artists like Lynce, who did a cracking job with the revolution packs, to help out with polish such as the interiors for a fee.

And I'd be willing to contribute as well when it comes to polishing and general helping out.

I've got a feeling that a lot of people don't appreciate the hard work that goes in to making a sim/game/app and really need to step back and look at things from another perspective.
AW MAI GAWD, thanks Scavier you have :checkered S2.
Can't wait for S3 to come out, when I got the money, I'll put 12 pounds on my account
Yay for Scavier, YAY for Rockingham, and YAY to us for buying the game and making all of this possible.

@ Whiners, Cryers, etc.

STOP CRYING LIKE LITTLE KIDS.
YOU ARE GETTING SOMETHING NICE AND GO CRY, WHY, SPAMM SHIZZZ.
Grow up please!
Case Closed:smash3d:
Although this is great news, an extra car and track isn't going to make me fork out for a S3 licence....

BTW is S3 final???
Quote from burn4u :Although this is great news, an extra car and track isn't going to make me fork out for a S3 licence....

BTW is S3 final???

Ofcourse S3 won't consist of only Rockingham and another extra car, you silly.
Quote from burn4u :Although this is great news, an extra car and track isn't going to make me fork out for a S3 licence....

BTW is S3 final???

Just

Remember, The additional content in S3 is not complete, I think that devs will be adding more to S3. And I think that is is not finished it didn't even start

BTW is S3 final???

If Scawen read this, he can decide to put those things "we don't know about"
into s3 instead of giving them in this patch, so u and we all will get less than originally in the next update but more in s3... Would u like that?
I'm already waiting for the option to invest my 12 "sterling-marks" in S3.

Releasing S3 with only one car and track may be a response to the way the whole comunity flocked to S2 when it was released - effectively making S1 useless as its userbase became too small. I remember Scawen mentioning that he wasn't pleased with that development.

By the way I do expect some major updates to the old content by the time of S3. But I don't expect S3 before 2011.

Vain
lol at people whining.

When you bought S2, did you expect a laser scanned track? did you expect a real car reproduced with accurate suspension geometry data?

I don't see how anyone can complain now, if you want to complain, blame yourself for making that decision on buying S2 when it had even less content. Cos you must be mad!

If you bought a piece of hardware to expect love and care from the developers, you are even madder.
Cool np thanks Concept-X , and I know there will be more in s3, I'm just saying I'm not committing till i see more content
Quote from Vain :I'm already waiting for the option to invest my 12 "sterling-marks" in S3.

Releasing S3 with only one car and track may be a response to the way the whole comunity flocked to S2 when it was released - effectively making S1 useless as its userbase became too small. I remember Scawen mentioning that he wasn't pleased with that development.

By the way I do expect some major updates to the old content by the time of S3. But I don't expect S3 before 2011.

Vain

Scawen wasn't pleased that "the whole comunity flocked to S2"?
He wasn't pleased that nearly every S1 licence holder gave them an extra £12?
Did you read what you wrote?
I'll definitly be putting out another $24 to pay for S3 when pre odering starts. This is great news, i've never raced at Rockinham on a game i think but i can't wait for this
-
(fat-oil) DELETED by fat-oil : out of subject :) sorry
Quote from menantoll :Scawen wasn't pleased that "the whole comunity flocked to S2"?
He wasn't pleased that nearly every S1 licence holder gave them an extra £12?
Did you read what you wrote?

I think pleased is the wrong word here, Scawen simply didn't expect everyone to turn to S2 so early, forcing all the other S1 users who would have waited with their upgrade to follow up if they wanted to race on somewhat populated servers. If Scawen releases S3 say tomorrow, I expect all the forum regulars to upgrade within two-three weeks, puling the rest of the userbase with them. I mean, look how many (active) S1 user there still are, not many.
Ohh

That laser thing is damn sexy, looks so accurate! I'm very happy we have a real one, I've always been with the resistance of "we want real tracks", and I hope the future comes with some more. But now the worst part comes, whining, waiting, ranting...

It's going to be hard. But congrats for the chance, and this will teach to you that you three cannot hide anything to us

Ok then, so where do I have to put the bucks?

PD: You know we love hearing about how LFS is created, so, having something like a close contact to your community, ¿could you tell us about the scanning process? time spent, how it works, how the scan result needs to be tweaked, resolution... The wait would be way much better
Quote from Intrepid :Anyone that takes the effort to moan about the development process of LFS needs to take a step back. You haven't invested in LFS, and nor have you been sold something that doesn't fit the description of the product when you bought. What are you complaining about???

I couldn't disagree more with you, sadly. Remember, it's a game in development, purely at alpha stage and not complete. You're buying in to the game as is to help its creation and completion. If it was ready for sale and not alpha or beta, that would be a different case!!

I still think its a wicked game and well worth the money for S2. I just think if you sell something then its not alpha really!

Rockingham coming to LFS
(1238 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG